Mathews Penalty

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Mathews Penalty
Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:12 pm
  • Of course they cant stop talking about it on ESPN. Only reason why Seahawks won supposedly.
    rcaido
    NET Veteran

Re: Mathews Penalty
Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:14 pm
  • How many times has Russ been hit late, or like tonight SAT upon. The announcers say it was an accident. So was Ziggy going low but without force into the Ram QB, but they called it.
    jeremiah
    NET Rookie

Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:15 pm
  • It was kind of a ticky tack call. Could have gone either way.

But Matthews has a rep for cheap hits on QBs. :Dunno:
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:16 pm
  • Thought the helmet was high
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:19 pm
  • Makes up for all of the non-calls of previous unsportsmanlike hits on Russ
    Eamon696
    NET Rookie

Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:19 pm
  • Wasn't as egregious of a call as the announcers made it sound, but yeah, we got lucky on that one.

We've also been on the other side of that enough where I don't feel bad about it. These things happen in a league where QBs are laughably overprotected. It's more an issue with the league at large than some strange conspiracy to help the Seahawks win.

Also, reputation matters. Matthews has himself to blame for that.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:20 pm
  • He had a cheap shot on Russ in the back of the head on the play in the first quarter when Brown fumbled. Have them dig that up.
    BubbaGump
    NET Rookie

Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:23 pm
  • talking heads need something to talk about and angry fans need a reason to vent....it is what it is. It wasnt a great call, in the course of games bad calls get made, this stuff averages out thru the course of a year so not gonna make a big thing out of it.
    flmmkrz
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:24 pm
  • Meh, who cares?

The guy makes the kick and nobody says boo.

Tells you all you need to know.
    Reaneypark
    NET Veteran

• Yeah I get we got the call but why do the sports outlets always go back to one play for he reason we won.

The Ansah was bigger call. that was 3rd down resulting to a TD. It was 1st down when that Mathew play happened.
    rcaido
    NET Veteran

• While we did get 15 yards on that play, it was first down not 3rd.

Nothing to say we wouldnt have picked up the first down on 2nd or 3rd. We were moving the ball pretty well.

Probably a bad call, but not necessarily a devastating blow to the Rams in that situation.

Game was decently officiated overall.
    Hawkpower
    NET Veteran

• thought is was just as bad as the Ziggy hitting low call.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:25 pm
  • Matthews took a cheap shot on Russell early in the game. He was being tackled from in front, and Matthews came up from behind him and put his shoulder I to Wilson's back, hard. It was $h!t.

I think the refs know that Matthews hates Russell, and may have seen some off those borderline cheap shots, and decided to put an end to it.

And at full speed, it looked like the crown of his helmet went in to RWs face mask. Seeing it Slomo, after the fact, is not a way to judge every call.

And a known history of poor sportsmanship matters, the same way make up calls matter.
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:28 pm
  • Meh!

Matthews got away with two other after pass hits on RW tonight and that play was intended to be a late hit and was unnecessary. He hits late all the time, it’s part of his MO.

It was a fair penalty.

Donald got away with three roughing penalties too.

Thought Ziggy was blocked into Goff. The difference was intention on the part of Matthews.

Boo Hoo!
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:49 pm
  • rcaido wrote:Of course they cant stop talking about it on ESPN. Only reason why Seahawks won supposedly.

If it happened to our player, we'd be pissed about it too. It's pretty obvious the NFL hates Clay Matthews lol. Regardless I'll take the call.
    ZagHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:56 pm
  • Cheap 'hold' on Iupati with tremendous flailing acting by the Rams player really hurt too.

The Rams held a ton.

Rams ran a ton of pick plays.

The uncalled delay of game.

the uncalled false start.

etc.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:01 pm
  • Karma for the second dirtiest player in the league!!!
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:28 am
  • Matthews led with the crown of his helmet, in the QB head area, and in that situation, that's going to rightly draw a roughing call. It was the right call. Boo hoo. And all the other excellent points made in this thread.

Also, re: officiating, on the Rams non-TD call on that pass, called out of bounds, the idiot announcers never commented that the ball MOVED in the receiver's arms between the time it could have been a catch and after he was out of bounds, in other words, the Rams receiver lost possession and then regained full possession only after being out of bounds.

All in all, the game was decided by players making and not making plays, down to the last missed FG. Even on FGs, Zuerlein had one earlier in the game that snuck inside the post, while Myers had a similar miss just outside the post. Basically it all evened out.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:24 am

• Here was that hit that wasn't called. For all the rams whiners
    blaisio
    NET Bench Warmer

Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:30 am
  • Bad calls against both teams.

Missed FG attempts by both teams.

People keep saying the Rams should've won. Nope, the right team won.
    massari
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:33 am

Ya'll feel bad for this punk?n
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:15 am
  • I still remember when the Packers went to SF for a season opener, following their loss at Lambeau in the playoffs, and Matthews didn't even try to hide the fact that he was head-hunting for Kaeperpick.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:24 am
  • rcaido wrote:Of course they cant stop talking about it on ESPN. Only reason why Seahawks won supposedly.

Begs the question of why you'd watch that $h!t network anyway. I literally quit them for anything but live events several years ago.
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:35 am
  • If you watch the play again, and you see the correct angle, you can very clearly see a forearm shove after the initial hit.

Personally I think that secondary “shove” is what drew the flag.

I haven’t seen it broadcast since the game, and I only saw it the one time in slo-mo replay but I saw it very clearly. It’s not surprising that the particular angle in slo-mo isn’t being aired.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:52 am
  • pmedic920 wrote:If you watch the play again, and you see the correct angle, you can very clearly see a forearm shove after the initial hit.

Personally I think that secondary “shove” is what drew the flag.

I haven’t seen it broadcast since the game, and I only saw it the one time in slo-mo replay but I saw it very clearly. It’s not surprising that the particular angle in slo-mo isn’t being aired.

I thought it was the push too at the time; I thought maybe I just didn't know what I was talking about when the announcers and Matthews were making it about the helmets. The push was unnecessary; I don't know if it should be penalized but he shoved him backwards with extra motion after the ball had been released.
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:56 am
  • I think we’re grasping at straws here. I try and keep the mindset of “how would I have felt if this call was going against the Hawks?” In this case, I would have been irate. I think it was a poor call, but I don’t feel bad about it going our way. It’s hard enough to win the NFL.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:17 am
  • sutz wrote:It was kind of a ticky tack call. Could have gone either way.

But Matthews has a rep for cheap hits on QBs. :Dunno:

Matthews is a POS. He hit QB's dirty all the time then acts like a baby when he gets flagged.
    rlkats
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:29 am
  • Seanhawk wrote:I think we’re grasping at straws here. I try and keep the mindset of “how would I have felt if this call was going against the Hawks?” In this case, I would have been irate. I think it was a poor call, but I don’t feel bad about it going our way. It’s hard enough to win the NFL.

I’m not grasping at straws.

I’m 100% serious and being fair as I can.

Many, including Aikman/Buck were focusing on the “not helmet to helmet” aspect. In that situation I’d agree that it was a bad call.
    But the shove after the initial hit was “unnecessary” and intentional.

I don’t KNOW why the flag was thrown but if it was because of the “shove”, I agree 100% that it was a good call.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:40 am
  • Seanhawk wrote:I think we’re grasping at straws here. I try and keep the mindset of “how would I have felt if this call was going against the Hawks?” In this case, I would have been irate. I think it was a poor call, but I don’t feel bad about it going our way. It’s hard enough to win the NFL.

In real time, without the benefit of slow motion to see where the hit landed, I thought it was helmet-to-helmet and I thought it was correct to throw the flag. If it could have been challenged, it would have probably been overturned, but the hit was to the head area and Russel's head did snap back, so in the moment, I thought it was the right call. If it was called the other way from one of our defenders, I'd be upset when I saw the slow motion replay, but I wouldn't be irate and complain to the league office or anything.
    aawolf
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:50 am
  • Matthews knew Wilson had passed already but still hit him after that, it was unnecessary roughing. It was a hit intended to attempt to punish Wilson, the forearm pop was unnecessary by Matthews and penalized.

Coulda, woulda rubbish from the media, Donald got away with grabbing the face mask of Wilson more than once and the above clip was not the only time he should have been penalized. Because Wilson is a mobile QB he absorbs a lot of uncalled roughing.

This media stuff is postgame whining, the Rams got their chance to win at the end and missed it.

The scoreboard tells the story, they had other chances too, but got beaten.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:01 am
  • The front page article on ESPN today doesn't even make mention it in the summary of the game.

Bad calls only really become the story when they're late in the 4th quarter and clearly extend the game winning drive.
    Because the Rams DID have another shot and botched it with a missed field goal, THAT is the story, not the blown call.

As far as the call itself, for stuff like calls and non-calls, I think you always have to defer to unaffected parties. What that means is that what Rams fans or Seahawks fans have to say about the call is uninformative and uninteresting: they're the two most motivated parties. Instead, if you want your answer, you have to look to people who don't have any skin in the game. From that perspective, it is unanimous that it was a very bad call.

If anything I think Hawks fans are lucky that the Rams got another shot and blew it because that's why the bad call isn't the story of this game, and will just be forgotten among everyone except for Rams fans.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:08 am
  • blaisio wrote:

Here was that hit that wasn't called. For all the rams whiners

I didn't see that one, yeah that was punk.
    jeremiah
    NET Rookie

Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:09 am
  • BubbaGump wrote:He had a cheap shot on Russ in the back of the head on the play in the first quarter when Brown fumbled. Have them dig that up.

I was really surprised they missed that one.Definite intentional helmet on helmet as I saw it.
    Thing is Russ never reacts enough,just gets up and excepts the non call,and gets back into the game.
    I thought he was brilliant last night,what a difference when they let Russ be Russ. :irishdrinkers:
    beaumaris
    NET Practice Squad

Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:33 am
  • It was also FIRST DOWN. They make it sound like it extended the drive or something.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:03 am

This.

This game was a near perfect game for the officials - the Ansah hit on Goff was the right call, we all know you can't hit QBs low these days.

They missed a false start and delay of game in the Rams favor, this roughing call in the Seahawks favor, both teams finished around the same number of penalties - perfect.

People complaining about this one call is stupid - similar to how I felt it was stupid to *only* complain about the no call in the NFCCG. Even after that call the Rams had a chance to stop them and we couldn't get it done, and like I said above, other calls went in our favor.
    Ramfan128
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:05 am
  • Popeyejones wrote:The front page article on ESPN today doesn't even make mention it in the summary of the game.

Bad calls only really become the story when they're late in the 4th quarter and clearly extend the game winning drive.
    Because the Rams DID have another shot and botched it with a missed field goal, THAT is the story, not the blown call.

As far as the call itself, for stuff like calls and non-calls, I think you always have to defer to unaffected parties. What that means is that what Rams fans or Seahawks fans have to say about the call is uninformative and uninteresting: they're the two most motivated parties. Instead, if you want your answer, you have to look to people who don't have any skin in the game. From that perspective, it is unanimous that it was a very bad call.

If anything I think Hawks fans are lucky that the Rams got another shot and blew it because that's why the bad call isn't the story of this game, and will just be forgotten among everyone except for Rams fans.

I didn't like the call, but I got over it pretty quickly. We had some stuff go our way too - for some reason, fans often fail to realize that.

I love your comment - feel free to pass that along to Saints fans - the part about "having another shot and botching it".
    Ramfan128
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:05 am
  • Refs were young and inexperienced, they made some other questionable calls as well..That said, you know what, bad call, but it's football, suck it up and move on.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:09 am
  • Ramfan128 wrote:
    Seanhawk wrote:I think we’re grasping at straws here. I try and keep the mindset of “how would I have felt if this call was going against the Hawks?” In this case, I would have been irate. I think it was a poor call, but I don’t feel bad about it going our way. It’s hard enough to win the NFL.

This.

This game was a near perfect game for the officials - the Ansah hit on Goff was the right call, we all know you can't hit QBs low these days.

They missed a false start and delay of game in the Rams favor, this roughing call in the Seahawks favor, both teams finished around the same number of penalties - perfect.

People complaining about this one call is stupid - similar to how I felt it was stupid to *only* complain about the no call in the NFCCG. Even after that call the Rams had a chance to stop them and we couldn't get it done, and like I said above, other calls went in our favor.

Two great posts. Thanks for keeping it sane.
    HawkerD
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:22 am
  • jeremiah wrote:
    blaisio wrote:

IMO that's really ticky tacky and a good no call, IMO.

I'd be up in arms if that got called against my team, and feel like I got away with something if it got called against my team's opponent.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:24 am
  • It was a bad call, he got alot of calls like that against him while at Green Bay
    dutchman063
    NET Rookie

• Smellyman wrote:It was also FIRST DOWN. They make it sound like it extended the drive or something.

This is exactly what I'm thinking. It's not like it was 4th and 10, if it was then this discussion would at least make sense but it wasn't so STFU already media people. The way Russ was playing last night he still would have moved the chains and scored.

I still can't believe the play call on the 3rd and 2 with under two minutes left when they decided not to hand it to Carson for the first down to ice the game but to let Russ roll out to his right to throw and it gets blown up.
    SeaWolv
    NET Veteran

• Yep, wasn't a roughing penalty..........but the refs missed a hit to the head on Russell earlier, a delay of game on a Gurley TD and at least two false start penalties on the Rams.

So if anyone's saying that's why the Rams lost, they didn't watch the game.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:26 am
  • With the outcome of the game already decided after the final whistle all that is left to talk about is "was the game refereed fairly?"... mostly because of the non-call in the NFCCG last year.

Last night calls went in both directions... that's football and that's the human element. Hope that it never changes.

In the days before slow motion. and of course instant replay, the call on the field was sacred. It was never challenged by the announcers.I started watching the NFL in the late '50s so I recall those days quite clearly. To a degree I wish that we could return but that genie is out of the bottle never to return.
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:29 am
  • SeaWolv wrote:
    Smellyman wrote:It was also FIRST DOWN. They make it sound like it extended the drive or something.

This is exactly what I'm thinking. It's not like it was 4th and 10, if it was then this discussion would at least make sense but it wasn't so STFU already media people. The way Russ was playing last night he still would have moved the chains and scored................

This, this and oh, this.

ESPN can go to hell.
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:32 am
  • onanygivensunday wrote:.........Last night calls went in both directions... that's football and that's the human element. Hope that it never changes.

In the days before slow motion. and of course instant replay, the call on the field was sacred. It was never challenged by the announcers.I started watching the NFL in the late '50s so I recall those days quite clearly. To a degree I wish that we could return but that genie is out of the bottle never to return.

Yep, facemask on Russ that wasn't called.

The 50s??!! Damn, you're older than me. So did you see the Lions actually win a championship (1957 it was iirc)?
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:15 am
  • Popeyejones wrote:The front page article on ESPN today doesn't even make mention it in the summary of the game.

See post below yours for MO on Mathews...Also, it's NOT "Unanimous" when a hit with a forearm around the head...That's just ONE of the $h!t plays that was perpetrated BY "Cheap Shot Artist" Mathews that finally caught up to him.
    For the most part, this was a pretty good contest by a couple pretty good teams.
    As for the frustrations of the Rams fans?...………………….GOOD.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:21 am
  • Popeyejones wrote:
    jeremiah wrote:
    blaisio wrote:

IMO that's really ticky tacky and a good no call, IMO.

I'd be up in arms if that got called against my team, and feel like I got away with something if it got called against my team's opponent.

I dont think anyone is saying this shot here was an egregious roughing call, just that it falls into a pattern of Clay being a d*ck.

Matthews has earned his reputation. And with that, he has lost the benefit of the doubt at times with the zebras.

If he doesn't like it, he could clean up his game.
    Hawkpower
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:23 am
  • The hit may have been close but Mathews continued it following through with a shove to the ground with no effort of holding up. High chance of getting that called if it's close so Bo Who sheep fans. :irishdrinkers:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:36 am
  • Dear God, every damn time we win a game people make excuses. Not some of the time, EVERY time :roll:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:47 am
  • Seymour wrote:The hit may have been close but Mathews continued it following through with a shove to the ground with no effort of holding up. High chance of getting that called if it's close so Bo Who sheep fans. :irishdrinkers:

I haven't seen a replay to show the shove after, but I listened to some NBC folks talking about it today and I thought they made a good point. Matthews tends to walk the line for what is acceptable in terms of hits and if you walk that line enough, sometimes you're going to get called on it, even if sometimes you weren't technically over the line.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Next

It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:33 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information