We let go of Sherm and ET TOO SOON

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Both are still a potent threat, and both wanted to stay in SEA.

What we'd give them up for?

Sherm for Shaquill. He is developing nicely, but insists on a 1 for 2 deal. He maybe tops Sherm in speed but skill is up in the air. Certainly not enough to justify 1 player for two spots on the 53. Everyone gets angry about people (like ET and like Sherm) writing say an article in the Players Tribune, but the Griffins top Michael Sam in their TV and book deals.

ET for Blair. I like Blair, he is developing, but he's far from ET. We had/have ample cap to bring ET along to not only play but to mentor youngsters. ET wasn't a holdout brat, he played until his leg was broken. We should have heard him out for his deal.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Unfortunately in a league with a salary cap tough decisions have to be made and it becomes hard to keep the band together. When there is a finite amount of funds to be spent the combination of age and injury is a recipe for separation, as tough as it may be from a sentimental perspective.

Old and slow, you gotta go. It's a cold business.

This is by my count the 3rd time that you have shoehorned the Shaquill/Shaquem dynamic into a thread. So, kudos on that feat.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Understood we needed to pay RW. No complaints there.

But what Sherm demonstravely had gas left in his tank and further wanted to remain in SEA. His deal could have easily been matched with relatively easy cap hit.

ET would have been harder. IDK his exact terms re Baltimore but just having him there was key to the SEA D (as it is the BAL D).

John63

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":23anad60 said:
Understood we needed to pay RW. No complaints there.

But what Sherm demonstravely had gas left in his tank and further wanted to remain in SEA. His deal could have easily been matched with relatively easy cap hit.

ET would have been harder. IDK his exact terms re Baltimore but just having him there was key to the SEA D (as it is the BAL D).

ET I get. However, Sherman would have been a malcontent for this team, given his need to be the center of attention, and his predisposition to call people out and nto in a good or leadership way and his obvious dislike of Wilson.

vigilantgrrl

Reaction score
I totally agree, especially about letting Sherm go. I was looking forward to the day when Sherm would transition to Safety. That's what the great Ronnie Lott did. Not the fastest cornerback, but one of the better ones in his day. Then Lott moved to Safety and was (along with Kenny Easley) the best of his era. Sherm has the smarts to be an all world Safety. I hope we do not give Griffin a 2nd contract at an inflated price. He is not elite. Our secondary is horrible. Especially when it comes to their inability to make interceptions.

sprhawk73

Reaction score
ET more than earned his pay. Sherm did a lot of what he did because of ET but because he denied Kap and Tree that TD I'd have to say he earned his pay. Without that play no ring.

It sucks that Kam will end up being the only true Seahawk out of LOB.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Yea sorry, didn't need them here.

Yea, they have talent, that's great. But we have good team chemistry. They couldn't get over the Super Bowl loss, and they couldn't fully accept that this is Russ' team. When I heard Earl talk about Lamar, the first thought that came to my mind is, I've never heard him speak of Russ as enthusiastically. It's the new girlfriend effect.

chris98251

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":ch1fwayv said:

Sherm for Shaquill. He is developing nicely, but insists on a 1 for 2 deal. He maybe tops Sherm in speed but skill is up in the air. Certainly not enough to justify 1 player for two spots on the 53. Everyone gets angry about people (like ET and like Sherm) writing say an article in the Players Tribune, but the Griffins top Michael Sam in their TV and book deals.

ET for Blair. I like Blair, he is developing, but he's far from ET. We had/have ample cap to bring ET along to not only play but to mentor youngsters. ET wasn't a holdout brat, he played until his leg was broken. We should have heard him out for his deal.

They are playing now, Sherman was not playing at the top of his game when he played the first season in S.F, Earl was creating toxicity every chance on Twitter and Facebook, he had a deal and wanted more, the Dallas thing along with other media stuff was causing a cancer, better to keep Bennett for the line then keep ET.

Secondly third contracts typically end up costing you the ability to sign needed F.A.'s.

Also they have high mileage and the chance of injury is far greater and your eating cap, better a year early then 3 years too late.

All those that are into instant gratification and Championship or we suck mentality really should just keep giving themselves a hand job, that's the only way your going to get that kind of satisfaction on queue if your team doesn't have a Belichek as coach, oh and they must suck also they were beaten by the Ravens.

mikeak

Reaction score
Locker room culture was going downhill. It was time for a change of scenery and it benefitted both parties

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
Pete got rid of the players that were no longer "on board" and we became a better team because of it.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
So wait. Their deals were both deals we'd pay for now for a player of that caliber, but you're saying that these two wouldn't have just shut up, gotten with the program and played if extended?

THat was what they were both angry over, not getting extended. They're both vets and would have shut up as they are currently for the teams they play for.

John63

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":3cs7cps8 said:
So wait. Their deals were both deals we'd pay for now for a player of that caliber, but you're saying that these two wouldn't have just shut up, gotten with the program and played if extended?

THat was what they were both angry over, not getting extended. They're both vets and would have shut up as they are currently for the teams they play for.

I believe ET would have. I do not believe Sherman would have, Sherman would have talk and talked and caused trouble with his mouth. He would have undermined whose team this is and we can't have that.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":ectce7yq said:

Earl (Middle Finger) Thomas is a 'Me Player', & Richard ( didn't know when to shut the hell up) Sherman is an ace whole.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
I'm over it.

This defense would be way better with a healthy Thomas, but it is what it is. He made his choices and the team made theirs.

Sherman was a huge risk after his injury. I'm glad things are working out for him but again: it is what it is.

jeremiah

Reaction score
Sherman is nothing without the great pass rush of SF, ET was a problem and wanted gone if you paid attention. SF has 30 sacks in 8 games, Hawks have 29 Hurries in 9 games....THAT is why the DB's look mediocre to bad.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":31bn7v15 said:
SantaClaraHawk":31bn7v15 said:

They are playing now, Sherman was not playing at the top of his game when he played the first season in S.F, Earl was creating toxicity every chance on Twitter and Facebook, he had a deal and wanted more, the Dallas thing along with other media stuff was causing a cancer, better to keep Bennett for the line then keep ET.

Secondly third contracts typically end up costing you the ability to sign needed F.A.'s.

Also they have high mileage and the chance of injury is far greater and your eating cap, better a year early then 3 years too late.

All those that are into instant gratification and Championship or we suck mentality really should just keep giving themselves a hand job, that's the only way your going to get that kind of satisfaction on queue if your team doesn't have a Belichek as coach, oh and they must suck also they were beaten by the Ravens.

Oh hell yeah, & I don't recall EVER hearing anything about "Super Coach Belicheck" offering to give EITHER Thomas or Sherman a job with the Patriots , eh?