RBs by committee

truehawksfan

Reaction score
I know most have been critical about Penny, lack of production. IMO, I believe it has more to do with Pete. He really likes his bruising running style. Thus, Carson is the primary and Penny just gets crumbs. It’s like the Marshawn/Turbin years.

But, it you want to see how a team splits/distributes carries...look no farther then the Niners. While, the Niners says they are interchangeable, one has a tendency of running inside and the other outside. Sound familiar?

They say, the NFL is a copy cat league, and I hope we replicate the Niners and allow Penny more carries.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
As much as I want to see Penny get some run, it will never happen as long as Carson is here. No matter how many times Carson fumbles or whiffs on pass protections, Pete will never, ever, pull him out reprimand him. He's Pete's boy.

Penny was a wasted pick for this team. It's pretty obvious his confidence is shot. He's never been given a real opportunity. They honestly should've traded him at the deadline to at least get something in return.

But hey, this team is winning without him, so bitching about Penny is pointless anyway.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
One of the reasons Penny has done so poorly is other teams expect him to go outside. He is predictable. Pete’s trying to go inside so he has at least a chance to succeed but he hasn’t.

Wasn’t it just last week he had a good hard inside run for a gain followed by an outside run for negative yards?

Honestly though if we just waived our last four top picks before ever signing them we would have been far better off.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Penny's fumble tonight was atrocious.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":1n4ech8f said:
As much as I want to see Penny get some run, it will never happen as long as Carson is here. No matter how many times Carson fumbles or whiffs on pass protections, Pete will never, ever, pull him out reprimand him. He's Pete's boy.

Penny was a wasted pick for this team. It's pretty obvious his confidence is shot. He's never been given a real opportunity. They honestly should've traded him at the deadline to at least get something in return.

But hey, this team is winning without him, so b!@ch about Penny is pointless anyway.
He was given a real opportunity. The year he was drafted he played more snaps than Carson did in the first few games. Penny looked lost and couldn't get yards up the middle. Carson took over the workload and eventually took a lionshare of the carries. Penny really was struggling until Schottenheimer identified that Penny had a knack for outside runs and started using him as a change of pace/third down back.

Penny, I just don't think fits our scheme. For the ZB scheme you need a RB that makes a quick cut and goes. There needs to be no hesitation. Penny's style is that of a more patient runner. He wants to sit back and wait for holes to develop. Think Shaun Alexander vs. Terrell Davis. Carson is more on the Terrell Davis side of things, he's tough and can run through contact, very decisive runner. All qualities you want from a RB that is in this sort of scheme.

The way Penny is being treated reminds me of how we handled Christine Michael. Michael was a guy with immense talent that couldn't put things together on the field or off of it. He struggled to pick up the playbook and he got lazy after awhile. Penny is reminding me of a similar guy disposition wise. He has come into camp overweight for two years, right now he looks like he is around 240. Penny constantly needs queues and inputs from Wilson on where to line up when they're on the field. In pass catching situations he has ran the wrong routes several times in his limited reps.

I think that Penny is in the dog house. The guy has talent but he seems to have issues putting it all together. I also don't think that his skillset is a great fit for what the Seattle Seahawks want to do. Quite frankly I was very confused when we drafted him. I'm pretty sure it had to do with Michel and Chubb's injury history combined with the injury/depth concerns at running back. The same reason that we pulled the trigger on Collier despite him fairly low on their board because there was a run on DEs. The Seahawks tend to have a philosophy of drafting for biggest need above all else in the first round.

classicaaron

Reaction score
Penny is worth what his name says. Waste of another early pick. But we do need someone if Carson gets hurt so cant just get rid of him midseason

Tusc2000

Reaction score
He never should have been taken in the 1st round, that was a reach. Penny might be a decent backup (if he can learn to hold onto the rock) but he'll never be an every down back. Yes, we're in trouble if he ever has to start.

getnasty

Reaction score
I'd like to see what Penny does with 20 carries. Not that he deserves it but just curious what it would look like.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2vxu1opa said:
The way Penny is being treated reminds me of how we handled Christine Michael. Michael was a guy with immense talent that couldn't put things together on the field or off of it. He struggled to pick up the playbook and he got lazy after awhile. Penny is reminding me of a similar guy disposition wise. He has come into camp overweight for two years, right now he looks like he is around 240. Penny constantly needs queues and inputs from Wilson on where to line up when they're on the field. In pass catching situations he has ran the wrong routes several times in his limited reps.

The fan situation reminds me of Michael as well. There's a contingent of Seahawks fans who seem convinced that Penny is an incredible player who is just being held down by the coaching staff/situation. That same thing drug on with Michael from the year he was drafted until he was traded to Dallas. A lot of these people were absolutely convinced that Michael was finally going to break out and come back to haunt the Seahawks. He was okay when the Seahawks eventually got him back. It just turns out the guy isn't that good.

It's possible that Penny is amazing and the coaching staff is screwing up or it is a bad fit for him. But he probably just isn't a great player; he seems at least decent. I hope it's the former situation and he breaks out, but it isn't like the dude hasn't had some opportunities.

I don't watch college football and I'm really glad, because I don't get opinions about players coming out of college. It seems like an utter crapshoot because of the game difference and talent imbalances that occur at that level. And while I recognize that higher draft picks have a higher probability of being better, that's still a crapshoot as well. It sucks when first and second round picks don't work out, but that seventh rounder Carson seems to be working out.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
This quote by Pete (last week, I think) is pretty telling. He has no interest in putting Penny out there.

The increased workload (roughly 18 carries per game) is not even remotely a concern for coach Pete Carroll, who scoffed when asked about it.

“He’s handling all of the workload physically really well each week,” Carroll went on. “He keeps coming back feeling good. He’s the first guy I check in on. How much wear and tear just occurred in the game that passed? I think the last week it was 16 and he’s been somewhere in between that and 24, something like that. I think that’s a great number. Running backs want the football. They need to get out there. They need to feel the line of scrimmage and feel the game. It’s hard for a guy to really express everything when you carry the ball 10 or 12 times a game. You need more than that. Usually, the more they get battered around, the more instinctive they get and the better they get. That’s just classically the way it’s been.”

He knows it's basically impossible to get into any kind of a groove as a RB when you know you're only going to get X amount of touches or snaps behind the starter. Penny has no future here. None. A change of scenery for both parties is needed.