3rd and shorts...Why is it always a shotgun set?

2_0_6

Reaction score
It frustrates me to no end when a 3rd and short comes around for the Hawks on Offense. At least twice they had an empty backfield and Russ in shotgun, and a few others they tried to run Carson out of the Shotgun set.

If you plan on putting the ball in your MVP's hand on 3rd and short, at the very least leave an RB in the backfield to at least make the defense second guess what might be coming.

Rant off.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
2_0_6":31ba3ani said:
It frustrates me to no end when a 3rd and short comes around for the Hawks on Offense. At least twice they had an empty backfield and Russ in shotgun, and a few others they tried to run Carson out of the Shotgun set.

If you plan on putting the ball in your MVP's hand on 3rd and short, at the very least leave an RB in the backfield to at least make the defense second guess what might be coming.

Rant off.
Agree.
Hate the empty set.

Also would like to see Russ under center on 3rd and short, so Carson gets a running head start before getting the ball.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
I hate the read option play up the middle out of the shotgun in short yardage situations. It got stuffed again last night. Put Russ under center and let the RB get up a head of steam.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I bet Pete and Schotty have some analytics that guide them to use the shotgun set much of the time in those situations. Anyone have numbers that show success rates on 3rd and short by formation, for the Hawks? I'm not sure how much success we'd have against that Niner DL, at least in the early quarters, running into their strength. 4th quarter, well, that's "Who-wants-it-more" time, with a worn-down D, if our O has truly done their job.

sutz

Reaction score
Better look at the defense would be my guess. :229031_shrug:

Mad Dog

Reaction score
olyfan63":3p1wrl1v said:
I bet Pete and Schotty have some analytics that guide them to use the shotgun set much of the time in those situations. Anyone have numbers that show success rates on 3rd and short by formation, for the Hawks? I'm not sure how much success we'd have against that Niner DL, at least in the early quarters, running into their strength. 4th quarter, well, that's "Who-wants-it-more" time, with a worn-down D, if our O has truly done their job.

I recall an article last year in FieldGulls.com that showed that we are highly successful out of the empty set on 3rd and short. A lot of times we run it with 11 personnel so the defense doesn’t know for sure if the RB will remain out wide or move back in beside Russ.

Subterfuge is overrated. Execution on the OL is the largest determinant of success on most downs.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
It prevents the defense from stacking the box and makes the defense have to account for RW. Go under center, and that changes. Until recently, there hasn't the type of O-line push that makes sense against a stacked box, let alone VS a solid defensive front like SF.

Sac

Reaction score
It's so they can run the RPO. Making the defense account for the possibility of Russ running.

Leee-roy

Reaction score
Also, when was the last time you saw Russ do a QB sneak? Like never?

olyfan63

Reaction score
Almost never. Maybe a handful of times in his career.
Actually, last time Russell did a QB sneak, IIRC, was over left guard, following Hutch and some W. Jones fellow. Don't recall who the center was. Am I the only one who remembers this?
And do I really need to say, :sarcasm_off: