Pundits making excuses for 49ers

ivotuk

Reaction score
MJD "Well they didn't have Kittle or Emanual Sanders." And there were others on both NFLN and ESPN repeating that very same thing.

Really? They can't be a good to great team without a couple of players?

What about Will Dissly? Or Tyler Lockett being out? Luke Willson? Geez...blame injuries... :34853_doh:

Torc

Reaction score
Yeah, we were missing our top receiver, our top 3 tight ends (not that Hollister looks anything like our 4th string TE) and our starting center. Part of what makes a team good is depth.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Kittle is a game changer. They probably win that game with him last night.

But the Seahawks didn't have Britt, and some of that assault across the line gets slowed down with Britt in there.

The real problem is Jimmy G couldn't get his crap together and freaked out. And their defense couldn't contain the Seahawks enough, even though they got to Wilson effectively. Given all the turnovers and mistakes by both teams, yeah, Kittle probably is enough to put them over the hump. But it is what is.

xray

Reaction score
There should be no excuses for either team win or lose. There was an awful lot of sloppy sandlot football by both teams .

Torc

Reaction score
bmorepunk":rqydtmng said:

But the Seahawks didn't have Britt, and some of that assault across the line gets slowed down with Britt in there.

The real problem is Jimmy G couldn't get his crap together and freaked out. And their defense couldn't contain the Seahawks enough, even though they got to Wilson effectively. Given all the turnovers and mistakes by both teams, yeah, Kittle probably is enough to put them over the hump. But it is what is.

Sure, Kittle is a game changer. But if you look at Dissly's stats, he has a little less YPC than Kittle (11.4 vs 11.8 ) and double the TDs in several fewer games (4 for Dissly, 2 for Kittle). Kittle does get a lot more targets, for a few more catches per game. Then again, we're talking the Seahawks offense here. :)

My point is that the Seahawks were missing a pretty equivalent weapon. (I know, I know - Kittle is one of the top two TEs in the game. whatever. :p ). But the Hawks have the depth to overcome it.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Torc":dd79d971 said:
bmorepunk":dd79d971 said:

Sure, Kittle is a game changer. But if you look at Dissly's stats, he has a little less YPC than Kittle (11.4 vs 11.8 ) and double the TDs in several fewer games (4 for Dissly, 2 for Kittle). Kittle does get a lot more targets, for a few more catches per game. Then again, we're talking the Seahawks offense here. :)

My point is that the Seahawks were missing a pretty equivalent weapon. (I know, I know - Kittle is one of the top two TEs in the game. whatever. :p ). But the Hawks have the depth to overcome it.

Hollister has been doing a damn good Dissly impersonation the last couple of weeks, and Willson was stepping up before he got hurt. As good as Dissly has shown to be, I'm glad there hasn't been much drop off at the position in his absence.

D

DomeHawk

Actually, I am watching ESPN this morning and there was more praising of the Seahawks/RW than excuse-making for the 49ers. Max Kellerman was making excuses for SF but other than that it was pretty positive for the Hawks.

Kinda shocked me.

rcaido

Reaction score
DomeHawk":1lz2225p said:
Actually, I am watching ESPN this morning and there was more praising of the Seahawks/RW than excuse-making for the 49ers. Max Kellerman was making excuses for SF but other than that it was pretty positive for the Hawks.

Kinda shocked me.

They praise the SEahawks & being game of the year but....the big butt....

It was all about injuries & how Jimmy Crappolo couldn't deal w/ the pressure when his main targets were out. Jimmy is now the fall guy and all the focus is about how Jimmy being the weak link.

D

DomeHawk

rcaido":1fs9lpud said:
DomeHawk":1fs9lpud said:

Kinda shocked me.

It was all about injuries & how Jimmy Crappolo couldn't deal w/ the pressure when his main targets were out. Jimmy is now the fall guy and all the focus is about how Jimmy being the weak link.

It was "all about the injuries?" I didn't get that at all.

Washington49er

Reaction score
People going to see what they want to see. Lots of things added to the equation last night. Tough game obviously, went down to the last seconds of OT.

Next!

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
rcaido":3gs9psfj said:
DomeHawk":3gs9psfj said:

Kinda shocked me.

I am ok with this

253hawk

Reaction score
It's a 53-man roster, not a 22. I got so tired of hearing about Kittle and Sanders and Gould.

timmat

Reaction score
The 49ers were pressured into most of the offensive mistakes they made last night.

The Seahawks were pressured into most of the offensive mistakes they made last night.

We witnessed two D lines play great football. Turnovers / negative plays increase as D line pressure increases.

Both teams had injuries. For the most part, both D-lines just deserve a tip of the cap - although Seattle got the better of the run game. There should be no excuses for last night - dominating D line play limited the offensive flow, which is not the way the NFL game is usually played these days.

I thought it was great to watch. Even better with the W.

Torc

Reaction score
bmorepunk":1qizlnm7 said:
Hollister has been doing a damn good Dissly impersonation the last couple of weeks, and Willson was stepping up before he got hurt. As good as Dissly has shown to be, I'm glad there hasn't been much drop off at the position in his absence.

Hollister has been an amazing and pleasant surprise. He definitely isn't playing like a 4th stringer and if Dissly, Dickson and Willson were all magically ready after the bye I doubt he'd still be considered a 4th stringer. Frankly I'm not sure who I'd pick between him and Dissly at this point. Hollister is a beast.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
MJD is a little bitch, I loathe the stumpy tosspot.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
It’s called DEPTH.
Get some!
Who’s fault is it the Niners have none?
They have plenty of cap space or so I’m told.

niveky

Reaction score
Torc":1r21mb0w said:
bmorepunk":1r21mb0w said:

Hollister has been an amazing and pleasant surprise. He definitely isn't playing like a 4th stringer and if Dissly, Dickson and Willson were all magically ready after the bye I doubt he'd still be considered a 4th stringer. Frankly I'm not sure who I'd pick between him and Dissly at this point. Hollister is a beast.
Double tight end sets with Dissly and Hollister next year anyone?

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Hollister was a quality add, as was Gordon. All other NFL teams passed on Gordon, which I still don't understand.

Latest posts