How much longer is the world gonna pretend Wilson is elite?

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Answer to title question is until he isn't. And he wont be as soon as he has no protection and no run game. Which is where we are right now.
But that is not all on Russ. We need more money to spend improving our line on both sides of the ball if we can't keep our 1s healthy. No QB can do it all on his own. The cap doesn't allow for that to happen when the biggest share of it goes for one guy.

Seymour

Reaction score
What a pathetic thread. :pukeface:

Show me any starting QB that succeeds with no pass protection. Maybe the OP would have prefered we get Luck or RG3 in 2012?

LastRideOut

Reaction score
Come on. Too many new fans here with the bipolar tendicies. One week, it is, "we are going to the SB!" and the next week, it is threads like this garbage one.

Relax. Go get laid. Come back next Sunday and root for the Seahawks.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Just the heck of it, before we complain our MVP candidate QB is the problem, let's at least give him a chance to win it for us?

When I saw us get an amazing blocked kick & run back, only to see Carroll run the ball twice with effing Procise, I knew we were screwed.

They didn't even run twice with our good RB. Procise is a guy you run in space, when you have the secondary spread out and the LBs potentially off the LOS. Not a guy you run near the goal line, unless you are hoping he can run wide and get to the edge. But regardless, your best player is Wilson....maybe use him to as your 1st (and ideally 2nd) option for scoring TDs?

Plenty of blame to go around, but we knew our defense was a dumpster fire the moment we lost Diggs. We have to win the way we were before we 'fixed' (pre-injury) the defense. That means scoring at least 28, which means 1 TD a qtr. You don't do this by running the ball with your 2nd and 3rd string backs.

When behind pace, in your best opportunity to score, you use your best player.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Russell is elite, that's been proven with his historic pace of breaking records left and right each and every year he's in the league. TD's, wins, comp %, QBR, accuracy, 4th quarter and overtime wins. You name it and Russell's been at the "elite" top of every list of QB's with stats since he's been in the league.

What's not elite is his coach with playcalling and scheme, or his O-line that's now been decimated by injury...........I also believe that Russell himself is not right. He's moving slow, which tells me he's hurt, and I betcha after the season's over we're going to find out that Russell's been dealing with multiple injuries.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":pst1vhuu said:
Russell is elite, that's been proven with his historic pace of breaking records left and right each and every year he's in the league. TD's, wins, comp %, QBR, accuracy, 4th quarter and overtime wins. You name it and Russell's been at the "elite" top of every list of QB's with stats since he's been in the league.

What's not elite is his coach with playcalling and scheme, or his O-line that's now been decimated by injury...........I also believe that Russell himself is not right. He's moving slow, which tells me he's hurt, and I betcha after the season's over we're going to find out that Russell's been dealing with multiple injuries.

THIS!

hawker84

Reaction score
Halea41":v377jxj1 said:
It’s so frustrating to watch him play.

Get him behind a real offensive line and you'd see just how elite he is. Also get him under a head coach that knows understands this.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
Wilson is elite.
Pete Carrol is good.
The O-Line is below average.
The running backs are now way below average.
The wide receivers have the potential to be great, but usually put forth an average showing.

timmat

Reaction score
This is so obviously not all on Russ. What's frustrating to watch is him receive the snap and immediately have to dodge pass rushers, week in, week out, year after year. Yes, he gets happy feet at times when the pocket is actually holding. But it holds so rarely, who can blame him? He's been sacked / hit so, so many times.

I've never agreed with phrases like 'just let Russ take over' or 'it's Russell's game to win'. He's at his best when our running game sets up the pass, not the other way around.

With the lack of talent on our O-line, we must avoid obvious passing situations to be successful through the air.

Outside of his brilliant scramble drills, he's at his best throwing off of play-action. Teams only bite on that if we are already effectively running the ball.

I believe O-line play is the most important element of the pro game. Without that, Russ struggles. Without that, EVERY QB struggles.

Currently, the combination of a slight bit of age (getting pounded over the years), and the fact that he's probably pretty banged up this late in the season - has our guy less mobile currently. Our O-line play is now even more important then, and they are not stepping up. Lack of talent plus injuries has this position group also reeling.

RCATES

Reaction score
Russ had a great start. MVP first half of the season no doubt. If you’re being honest Russ has been pretty bad for good stretch now. Particularly awful 2 out of the last 3 games. My same complaint with Russ will always be the same. Lack of consistency. Elite Qb’s have moments when they aren’t their best and maybe look like a Top 10 Qb rather then a top 5. Russ goes to a bottom 5 level several games a season. He becomes almost unrecognizable. This is why I personally don’t consider him Elite. Go Hawks

John63

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":25nkdvpb said:
Russ' cap hit this year is about $26.3M, going up to $31M next year and topping out at $37M for 2023:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-sea ... lson-9885/

His cap hit makes up about 13.6 percent of SEA's 2019 cap:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/seattle-seahawks/

Bwags and Duane Brown are the only others with over a $10M cap hit. Most others are on rookie deals or short-term ones. We'll probably lose most to free agency.

LOL we have a lot of cap space and lets not forget the cap space is going up by more than Wilson's salary. FYI Wilson got the going rate and very soon will not even be top 5.

John63

Reaction score
RCATES":3s53esi3 said:
Russ had a great start. MVP first half of the season no doubt. If you’re being honest Russ has been pretty bad for good stretch now. Particularly awful 2 out of the last 3 games. My same complaint with Russ will always be the same. Lack of consistency. Elite Qb’s have moments when they aren’t their best and maybe look like a Top 10 Qb rather then a top 5. Russ goes to a bottom 5 level several games a season. He becomes almost unrecognizable. This is why I personally don’t consider him Elite. Go Hawks

LOL sorry every QB has bad games, really bad games for example

Jackson so leading MVP guy

4 games with QB rating below 85 the avg mark

Brady the supposed GOAT
6 games below 85

Mahomes last years MVP
3 games below 85

Wilson
4 games under 85

Hmm Wow what do you know all Qbs have them

xray

Reaction score
For 8 seasons Wilson has had OLs that couldn't pass protect . He has been sack pounded every season . Carroll is so " pound the rock " obsessed that he has basically left Wilson on an "island" to fend for himself ; because he could scramble . Wilson might not be an elite QB now ; but he sure could of been if not for the careless mismanagement of his talents by Carroll . Carroll has always treated Wilson as just another player . I personally am sick and tired of that gum smacking... hand clapping old man . He's wash up in my book .

John63

Reaction score
xray":1gg1apkf said:
For 8 seasons Wilson has had OLs that couldn't pass protect . He has been sack pounded every season . Carroll is so " pound the rock " obsessed that he has basically left Wilson on an "island" to fend for himself ; because he could scramble . Wilson might not be an elite QB now ; but he sure could of been if not for the careless mismanagement of his talents by Carroll . Carroll has always treated Wilson as just another player . I personally am sick and tired of that gum smacking... hand clapping old man . He's wash up in my book .

Thats because Wilson was and is the great nullifier, no matter what happens more often than not Wilson come trough. That is why he is amongst the tops in 4th qtr/OT winning drives. PC relies on that and more often than not it works, but at some point things are so bad not even Wilson can save him.

Largent80

Reaction score
Skip Bayless posts here now?...OP...Hahahaha....so frustrating to have an MVP QB. You are an Imperial Stick of Johnson.