Is A Loss Tomorrow A Failure of a Season?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I was thinking about this earlier today. I predicted in August we would finish 11-5, so in that regard I can't say I am surprised we finished 11-5. However, I am most certainly surprised how we got there. If you would have told me by going .500 at home I would have laughed in your face. Yet, here we are.

Tomorrow's road wild card makes me think of last season's road wild card game. The 2018 season ended with a dull thud thanks to a horrific game plan where Schotty and Pete if I recall, absolutely refused to change up their game plan when it was clearly not working. The Cowboys were a very beatable team, even at home, but our refusal to adapt to what they were doing was the death blow that ended our season.

So tomorrow's game is a new shot at overcoming the wild card road monster. Against another NFC opponent that has plenty of holes and is beatable, despite their hot winning streak finishing the season (against teams with losing records mind you). Will Schotty and Pete learn from history and come out with an aggressive, flexible game plan? Or will they succumb to a predictable game plan the Eagles can exploit?

For me, I don't care how we win. A victory tomorrow and on to the divisional round is absolutely a success of a season, despite what occurs from that point. If we lose tomorrow, I am not sure I can really call the season a success overall. Maybe so, after all 11-5 is nothing to sneeze at, but to be 1 and done for the second straight season would be very disappointing.

So what are your thoughts? Will a win or loss tomorrow predicate how you feel the season was a success or failure?

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Cyrus12":y3jjpr91 said:
Always a failure unless you win the last game...the goal is always to win the sb.

That thinking is going to lead to a lot of disappointment in life. Are you the pinnacle of your occupation? If not, then you might want to worry less about the Hawks and more about your employment where you are clearly "failing".

The SB is a dream. A goal is to win games. A goal is to play your best. A goal is to make the playoffs. Too much good fortune is required to win a SB and that's why it is just a dream opportunity and not a goal.

Most teams consider making the playoffs a successful season. Winning a SB is an extremely successful season. But not winning a SB can never be considered a failure. It's too hard and requires far too much luck.

We have been derailed by injuries this year and so I'm currently not expecting much of anything this post season. Just happy I've got at least one more game to watch. Keep hoping one year we will have good health and be able to get into the playoffs at near full strength, but that only happened in 2013.

Jville

Reaction score
The regular season has been a solid success.

With regards to the playoffs ...... i.e. the sudden death tournament ..... we'll see.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
If they lose tomorrow, then yes I would consider the season a failure.

They will have lost 4 of their last 5 games, completely faceplanting late in the season, which is opposite how Carroll's teams typically finish.

D

DomeHawk

Yes, a one-and-done is a failure.

Two-and-done? Not so much.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Mad Dog":2kkmh4j6 said:
The SB is a dream. A goal is to win games. A goal is to play your best. A goal is to make the playoffs. Too much good fortune is required to win a SB and that's why it is just a dream opportunity and not a goal.

Most teams consider making the playoffs a successful season. Winning a SB is an extremely successful season. But not winning a SB can never be considered a failure. It's too hard and requires far too much luck.

We have been derailed by injuries this year and so I'm currently not expecting much of anything this post season. Just happy I've got at least one more game to watch. Keep hoping one year we will have good health and be able to get into the playoffs at near full strength, but that only happened in 2013.

I'm picking up what you're laying down. I like that optimistic outlook...I agree, if you think anything short of a SB championship is a failure, that's awfully harsh and unrealistic. I can absolutely understand why someone would consider just making it to the playoffs a successful season.

How many years do we have left of Pete? Of Russ in his prime? These are factors I consider when thinking about a successful season. In the 90's I would have been ecstatic to be 11-5 and just make the playoffs. Now, with all the success we have achieved, I find myself much more critical of how I define success. Perhaps I have lost touch a bit with that old me that simply was delighted to be in the post season without any expectations.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
So many injuries..I keep thinking it was ours if not
for that..
A healthy Dissly,Penny,Carson,Clowney,Diggs
and a first seed go a long ways in my mind.
So a failure>>?Not really...Any wins are a bonus
at this point.

MrThortan

Reaction score
I watch to be entertained. Winning is more entertaining than losing. I consider an 11-5 a successful season. Playoffs are a bonus granted by having a successful regular season. One and done would sucks, but that doesn't mean the journey has been a waste of time.

John63

Reaction score
Depends on how we loose. If we loose with our best form start to finish no. If we loose with the standard nothing to the 4th then yes.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I think if we lose tomorrow its neither a success nor failure. It's a "Needs Improvement".

If we were reasonably healthy I'd say a loss is a failure. But with guys like Clowney and Diggs at best 70% and our OL totally beat up and our RB corps down to street FA's, retirees and late round rookie, I'm taking anything good as bonus.

MesquiteHawk

Reaction score
Cyrus12":13zkyjx0 said:
Always a failure unless you win the last game...the goal is always to win the sb.

This might be the dumbest post I have seen this year.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Yea it would be horrible way to end the year. They need to win tomorrow and rest is icing.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
No and yes.

Considering the injuries, no.
Considering the mistakes by the coaching staff, yes.

chris98251

Reaction score
Not a failure, disappointed of course, given the hill we have to climb due to injuries, I think there are two aspects to winning it all, peaking at the right time and getting healthy and staying that way when the playoffs come.

We have been derailed three times since 2000 by injures, The Chicago game with Holmgren and last year at Dallas and the Super Bowl with Avril and our secondary walking wounded, you could say 4 times when Manual went down and we had a street free agent play in Etric Pruitt against the Steelers.

Peaking and healthy as much as possible.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
No. Not a damn bit. I wonder if people actually recall that we are on a REBUILD/RETOOL year. We are only a year into as well. Come on Man. Next year is year 2 of a retool year. We are in the playoffs with Baling Wire and Duct tape and bubble gum. WOW.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Many of our younger or newer fans don't yet have the experience or maturity to understand how difficult it is to make the playoffs as consistently as Seattle has done it recently. And it's frustrating to hear such juvenile takes as "Super Bowl win or bust" I think back to the 90's and just shake my head when I hear that.

Most of us though have the proper perspective and understand that ANY season that ends with a playoff appearance, much less one in which they have been hit with such critical injuries, is a huge success.

As a fan, this season, like most under the Pete regime, has been a blast.

morgulon1

Reaction score
This season has been weird to say the least. I believe we'll be a much improved team next year.

If we win tomorrow its a success.
If we lose, just not as successful.