17 Takeaways from Seattle's First Playoff Victory in a While

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
1. Seattle brought its A-game today against one of the most decidedly uninspiring playoff participants of the last decade. That in no means diminishes the accomplishment. The Seahawks are hurting themselves. Lacking three running backs, five offensive linemen, two tight ends, and two wide receivers, this offense came out and made more plays than it should have against a sterling Eagles D-line on their own turf. The Eagles could not accomplish the same against - well, decidedly not the same level of DL talent. Winning in the NFL is never easy, in any week, against any opponent. Seattle took care of business.

2. Pete and Schotty had the right gameplan today. You almost sense that the injuries along the offensive line forced them to pass quicker and shy away from the run, but given Pete's sheer stubbornness, let's be honest - none of us would have been surprised if he doubled down on the run. Gladly, he didn't. They kept Wilson in a rhythm and picked on the Eagles' lesser, gimpy back seven. And thanks to that balance, when Seattle did need the deep shot, our OL had enough pressure taken off it to actually make some pass protection hold up, at least here and there.

3. The defense was better than it looked today. Despite seven sacks (several were on QB rollouts terminated before the LOS, which are counted as sacks), the lack of pass rush has been what's enabling these ridiculous fourth-read completions from backup QB's all year long. Those don't happen with Cliff Avril or Michael Bennett in the game. But Seattle held the Eagles to 3/11 on third down and allowed no touchdowns, though Tre Flowers tried his best.

4. Jadaveon Clowney chose today to remind Seattle why he should be re-signed. Tons of heart, playing through a grueling core injury - and triple teams - with only sporadic help from anyone else on the line, trying though they are. He believes in this organization and wanted to be here. He's still young and a core player whom Seattle can build around. Get it done, John.

That said...

5. I wasn't a fan of Clowney's hit. I'll leave it at that.

6. DK Metcalf 's 160 yards receiving were the best of a postseason rookie in the Super Bowl era. You read that right. This was a great matchup for him, no doubt, and the Eagles' defensive coordinator deserves to be fired after that much straight man and Cover 0, but DK could have dropped it. He didn't. Ladies and gentlemen, we have a worthy successor to Calvin Johnson. On THIS team.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/FG_Dolan/status/1213988826017914882[/tweet]

I do love being on the right side of those comparisons.

7. If you want a better run game, I recommend not having an offensive line composed of three backups and Germain Ifoul (yes, I'm unreasonably pleased with myself for that awful nickname) against aforementioned Eagles DL - the #4 DVOA run defense - in their home stadium. People seem to be forgetting just how few options we had being that thin at OL. Next week, we get Mike Iupati and Duane Brown (hopefully) back against the #23 run defense on a warm day (for January). Things could look entirely different.

8. Early in the game, Joey Hunt sabotaged yet another drive by just being pushed over by a lineman of NFL caliber strength. It's been happening all year, though nobody has really noticed it. True, it was Fletcher Cox, but you don't find yourself squaring off against a lot of subpar DT's in the postseason, either. I hope it's demonstrating just how good we had it with the constantly underrated Justin Britt.

9. Diggs changes everything. Remember, when you see a QB repeatedly hitting his fourth read, double-clutching, and starting to run, the back seven, at least, has done its job. And a big part of that is Diggs. It's a miracle that Pete and John nabbed this guy, much less for a fifth-rounder midseason. Highway robbery with polished pistols.

10. Ezekiel Ansah getting outrun by a 40-year-old backup QB was downright embarrassing. I was so high on Ansah's signing earlier in the year. It just hasn't worked out at all. If I'm not mistaken, Seattle has the draft ammunition this year to trade up into the Top 18 or so even if the pick after a Lombardi trophy. Do it and get a real impact player for that DL.

11. McCown getting the chance to play in the postseason AFTER coming out of retirement - and giving it a soldier's shot - is worthy of great respect. He made plays and took the loss hard, finding tears afterward. Same to Zach Ertz, who...well, just read this...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Jeff_McLane/status/1214002373032579072[/tweet]

12. Thanks to the miracle-working of John Schneider, we've somehow found enough depth to stand the tests of injury. Diggs, Jacob Hollister, Josh Gordon giving us five crucial receptions, and now, finally Marshawn Lynch. I hope we go even deeper into the postseason just so that damn handsome GM of ours can get his due.

13. This was one of the best games for our linebacking corps all season, and an especially encouraging showing for rookie Cody Barton, albeit against depleted opposition. Five tackles (one for a loss), a sack, a QB hit, and two passes defenses. Given Mychal Kendricks' uncertainty and the age of KJ and Wagner, this needed to be seen out of the third-rounder, and seeing it show up in January speaks to his mental toughness.

14. Seattle is 6-0 on the East Coast this year.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BrockHuard/status/1213997850738085888[/tweet]

16. You just knew Beast would get in on that touchdown run. If Seattle and Minnesota both win next week, we might just get the chance to bring him back home for one more game this year.

17. This is the 7th divisional round appearance by Pete Carroll's Seahawks. Pass-first fetishists, be on notice: there IS a point at which it becomes churlish to argue with results.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Great write-up. I would say that our game plan for tonight had a 2:1 ratio of great choices and terrible choices, though.

Is there any way to justify the number of times we ran straight at Fletcher Cox? I can say it ended up just being comical because we won, but that easily could have been a reason for us to lose tonight.

I'm fine with running a lot, but for the love of all that is holy, when the WAY we want to run is consistently not working, change it sooner! We were all like "11th inside run straight at Cox HAS to work this time!"

:lol:

What a game for Metcalf and Russell, though...man.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1e45sh40 said:
1. Seattle brought its A-game today against one of the most decidedly uninspiring playoff participants of the last decade. That in no means diminishes the accomplishment. The Seahawks are hurting themselves. Lacking three running backs, five offensive linemen, two tight ends, and two wide receivers, this offense came out and made more plays than it should have against a sterling Eagles D-line on their own turf. The Eagles could not accomplish the same against - well, decidedly not the same level of DL talent. Winning in the NFL is never easy, in any week, against any opponent. Seattle took care of business.

2. Pete and Schotty had the right gameplan today. You almost sense that the injuries along the offensive line forced them to pass quicker and shy away from the run, but given Pete's sheer stubbornness, let's be honest - none of us would have been surprised if he doubled down on the run. Gladly, he didn't. They kept Wilson in a rhythm and picked on the Eagles' lesser, gimpy back seven. And thanks to that balance, when Seattle did need the deep shot, our OL had enough pressure taken off it to actually make some pass protection hold up, at least here and there.

3. The defense was better than it looked today. Despite seven sacks (several were on QB rollouts terminated before the LOS, which are counted as sacks), the lack of pass rush has been what's enabling these ridiculous fourth-read completions from backup QB's all year long. Those don't happen with Cliff Avril or Michael Bennett in the game. But Seattle held the Eagles to 3/11 on third down and allowed no touchdowns, though Tre Flowers tried his best.

4. Jadaveon Clowney chose today to remind Seattle why he should be re-signed. Tons of heart, playing through a grueling core injury - and triple teams - with only sporadic help from anyone else on the line, trying though they are. He believes in this organization and wanted to be here. He's still young and a core player whom Seattle can build around. Get it done, John.

That said...

6. DK Metcalf 's 160 yards receiving were the best of a postseason rookie in the Super Bowl era. You read that right. This was a great matchup for him, no doubt, and the Eagles' defensive coordinator deserves to be fired after that much straight man and Cover 0, but DK could have dropped it. He didn't. Ladies and gentlemen, we have a worthy successor to Calvin Johnson. On THIS team.

7. If you want a better run game, I recommend not having an offensive line composed of three backups and Germain Ifoul (yes, I'm unreasonably pleased with myself for that awful nickname) against aforementioned Eagles DL - the #4 DVOA run defense - in their home stadium. People seem to be forgetting just how few options we had being that thin at OL. Next week, we get Mike Iupati and Duane Brown (hopefully) back against the #23 run defense on a warm day (for January). Things could look entirely different.

8. Early in the game, Joey Hunt sabotaged yet another drive by just being pushed over by a lineman of NFL caliber strength. It's been happening all year, though nobody has really noticed it. True, it was Fletcher Cox, but you don't find yourself squaring off against a lot of subpar DT's in the postseason, either. I hope it's demonstrating just how good we had it with the constantly underrated Justin Britt.

9. Diggs changes everything. Remember, when you see a QB repeatedly hitting his fourth read, double-clutching, and starting to run, the back seven, at least, has done its job. And a big part of that is Diggs. It's a miracle that Pete and John nabbed this guy, much less for a fifth-rounder midseason. Highway robbery with polished pistols.

10. Ezekiel Ansah getting outrun by a 40-year-old backup QB was downright embarrassing. I was so high on Ansah's signing earlier in the year. It just hasn't worked out at all. If I'm not mistaken, Seattle has the draft ammunition this year to trade up into the Top 18 or so even if the pick after a Lombardi trophy. Do it and get a real impact player for that DL.

11. McCown getting the chance to play in the postseason AFTER coming out of retirement - and giving it a soldier's shot - is worthy of great respect. He made plays and took the loss hard, finding tears afterward. Same to Zach Ertz, who...well, just read this...

12. Thanks to the miracle-working of John Schneider, we've somehow found enough depth to stand the tests of injury. Diggs, Jacob Hollister, Josh Gordon giving us five crucial receptions, and now, finally Marshawn Lynch. I hope we go even deeper into the postseason just so that damn handsome GM of ours can get his due.

13. This was one of the best games for our linebacking corps all season, and an especially encouraging showing for rookie Cody Barton, albeit against depleted opposition. Five tackles (one for a loss), a sack, a QB hit, and two passes defenses. Given Mychal Kendricks' uncertainty and the age of KJ and Wagner, this needed to be seen out of the third-rounder, and seeing it show up in January speaks to his mental toughness.

16. You just knew Beast would get in on that touchdown run. If Seattle and Minnesota both win next week, we might just get the chance to bring him back home for one more game this year.

17. This is the 7th divisional round appearance by Pete Carroll's Seahawks. Pass-first fetishists, be on notice: there IS a point at which it becomes churlish to argue with results.
Solid! :2thumbs:

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Well done Mo. Tho I disagree on the Clowney hit comment. Up until a few years ago that was just plain ole' football. In real time it didn't look problematic, and until they realized he went out and went back to find it, NO ONE said "Oh, that bad man hurt that QB."

But I digress. Much, much love to DK for tonight's game. Here is to all that is holy that we get Brown and Iupati back.

Jville

Reaction score
Truly an outstanding review :2thumbs:

Crizilla

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3mvh7knf said:

That said...

Number 5 and 17 were really cringe. You say "I'll leave it at that" AFTER stating your opinion thus opening up the can of worms by saying you thought it was a dirty hit thus you failed at what you were supposedly trying to avoid. Never say "pass first fetishists" again.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Besides #5..A solid rumination.
That hit was bang bang,the QB did not slide and decided to dive as
Clowney was diving across there is no way he could have avoided it.

ClippedBird

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1i1lxau7 said:

That said...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Seattle brought its A-game today against one of the most decidedly uninspiring playoff participants of the last decade.

Really. Your write up is garbage. It took a cheap shot to win this game and with that only by 8 against our backup QB and a bunch of practice squad players. Uninspiring is the wrong word. The 2019 Philadelphia Eagles were far from uninspiring with all of the adversity they were presented with. Go Packers!

HawkStrong

Reaction score
Thanks for the write up, definitely filling a void where Ruminations was this season.

BuffaloHawk

Reaction score
ClippedBird":1z9uxvwz said:
MontanaHawk05":1z9uxvwz said:

That said...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Seattle brought its A-game today against one of the most decidedly uninspiring playoff participants of the last decade.

Really. Your write up is garbage. It took a cheap shot to win this game and with that only by 8 against our backup QB and a bunch of practice squad players. Uninspiring is the wrong word. The 2019 Philadelphia Eagles were far from uninspiring with all of the adversity they were presented with. Go Packers!

They were uninspiring. Never for one second thought the Eagles would win.

And oh yeah, Wilson career vs the Eagles- 5-0

Enjoy the off-season.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Montana great write up!

I only disagree on a couple of issues. I don't think the Clowney hit was dirty. Wentz made himself a runner by diving and not sliding and when not in slow mo it was a bang bang play. Definitely should have been a penalty but it wasn't dirty. You can throw my opinion and every other Seahawk fans opinion because we're biased. But every ex or current player I've seen asked about it says the same thing.

I liked the game plan but hated that they were stubborn running right at Cox behind an overmatched Hunt and a back up guard. They did it almost every drive and it put Seattle in a too many 3rd and longs that Russ had to bail them out of. Get Homer on the edge, screens something just felt like they went with that type of run way too often. It's not how often they run but how they run. Overall though I love Schott allowing Russ to throw deep at the end, I fully expected a run play and then holding on for dear life as Philly gets a shot. That is something they probably don't do earlier in the year so they deserve credit for being aggressive there.

If we get Iupati and Brown back I like our chances next week.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The butthurt is quite strong in clippedbird.
God forbid you give the opponent credit after they beat your team.
Excuses don't change a thing. Buh bye

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
ClippedBird":2bk8lkrs said:
Dude, we were even more injured on offense overall than you. Sure, Wentz went out, but he didn't do crap while he was in.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Not that the announcers would ever talk about the Hawks and their ridiculous amount of guys on IR.
Hawks were only missing their Best TE, Top 3 RB's and their best 3 O Lineman. Clowney is playing on pure guts. Double digit guys on IR and Woods out on suspension again this Sunday.
But yeah, only the Eagles had injuries :?

HawkGA

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":30hbjshn said:
Well done Mo. Tho I disagree on the Clowney hit comment. Up until a few years ago that was just plain ole' football. In real time it didn't look problematic, and until they realized he went out and went back to find it, NO ONE said "Oh, that bad man hurt that QB."

But I digress. Much, much love to DK for tonight's game. Here is to all that is holy that we get Brown and Iupati back.

I haven't watched it since last night and I don't plan on watching it again, but my impression from last night was that he actually twists his body in an ineffective attempt at not hitting him with his head but with his shoulder. So I think the attempt to avoid helmet to helmet contact was there, it just didn't work.

HawkGA

Reaction score
HawkStrong":wwdadfql said:
Thanks for the write up, definitely filling a void where Ruminations was this season.

Really been a shame to see the Ruminations Fade away . . . .

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Great write up Montana, not even sure you can see this since you put me on ignore :lol:
Anyway, the 3rd down efficiency in that game was HUGE. And it was 3rd and long after 3rd and long. When Russ and that offense is locked in like that, they are hard to beat.

BASF

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2n7fv9pg said:
Not that the announcers would ever talk about the Hawks and their ridiculous amount of guys on IR.
Hawks were only missing their Best TE, Top 3 RB's and their best 3 O Lineman. Clowney is playing on pure guts. Double digit guys on IR and Woods out on suspension again this Sunday.
But yeah, only the Eagles had injuries :?

They had to put over that the Eagles were limping into the playoffs injured against the better team, simply to add the drama of story lines if the Eagles made a game of it. The fact is that they are selling a soap opera feel to pull in more viewers than the regular, I watch football all the time type of guys.

As far as using the quote option on the board, several of you on this post alone used the quote option for the entire post of the op when it was not necessary at all. Knock it off.