KJ Wright:There’s been ‘no mess, no drama’ in‘ very fun year

ivotuk

Reaction score
First of all, I love KJ Wright, he's a man with empathy for everybody. Don't misread his comments, he defended his former team mates: "They invested a lot in this team, sacrificed a lot, and it's hard to leave."

But he's being honest, that the locker room is a lot more cohesive this year.

Seahawks LB K.J. Wright: There’s been ‘no mess, no drama’ in ‘very fun year’

“It’s fun from the standpoint of the vibes are really good, the chemistry is really good,” Wright told Bob, Dave and Moore on Monday, a day after the Seahawks beat the Philadelphia Eagles in a first-round playoff game. “This is a very fun year. … There’s no mess, there’s no drama, because I’ve been on some teams like that. But this feels really, really good.”

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/746313/s ... -no-drama/

Jville

Reaction score
KJ's comments on visualization caught my ear.

The importance of visualization before a scheduled match up can not be over emphasized. Visualization is a rehearsal. When one recognizes a visualization in a game, reaction is immediate and execution is realized at best possible speed and precision.

Excellent interview ..... thanks for posting.

seabowl

Reaction score
Likely Definition:

Thomas, Bennett and possibly Sherm were pains in the ass.

Seymour

Reaction score
seabowl":o9xvagxd said:
Likely Definition:

Thomas, Bennett and possibly Sherm were pains in the ass.

This. Only not "possibly Sherm", he is absolutely #1 on the list going after both teammates and coaches and media members multiple times after "the play". It ate away at his ego like a gnawing rat and "stole his dynasty legacy" and he held that against Wilson among others.

That is why Sherman is gone, not just the injury.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Except our defense this year is a steaming garbage fire.

Diggs made a big difference, but did someone already run the #s showing that overall this is one of the worst defenses ever in Seahawk history? That is pretty bad.

If the cost of a better defense is a bit of internal drama, it is hard not to prefer it. But I get he would prefer a better work environment, than one embroiled in chaos - even if it is more productive on the field.

KJ has always been a trooper though so it is nice to see he is having a better time of it now. And I don't think much of the blame for the issues with the defense this year can be put on him.

But we miss all those 'troublemakers'. We just couldn't afford them. If we still had them, pretty sure we would be in the catbird seat for the SB right now. I notice most of the places our people went to got noticeably better, with the exception of the Eagles and Cowboys. I'd love to at least get Irvin back, we could use him.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3aymojci said:

Diggs made a big difference, but did someone already run the #s showing that overall this is one of the worst defenses ever in Seahawk history? That is pretty bad.

If the cost of a better defense is a bit of internal drama, it is hard not to prefer it. But I get he would prefer a better work environment, than one embroiled in chaos - even if it is more productive on the field.

KJ has always been a trooper though so it is nice to see he is having a better time of it now. And I don't think much of the blame for the issues with the defense this year can be put on him.

But we miss all those 'troublemakers'. We just couldn't afford them. If we still had them, pretty sure we would be in the catbird seat for the SB right now. I notice most of the places our people went to got noticeably better, with the exception of the Eagles and Cowboys. I'd love to at least get Irvin back, we could use him.

Weren't those "stats" about yardage allowed? That has never mattered. Points allowed is the only stat that matters.

This year they allowed 24.9 points per game, playing the HARDEST Strength of Schedule in the NFL. AND, they had one of the best turnover rations in the NFL.

So I don't think we needed those other guys. I'd much rather be grooming young, healthy players for the future.

New England was #! and the yakking about what a great defense they were was incessant! They played the worst team in the NFL twice, the Jets twice, and some other no name teams. They had a cake walk. And still sucked.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
Jville":3qxnj86w said:

The importance of visualization before a scheduled match up can not be over emphasized. Visualization is a rehearsal. When one recognizes a visualization in a game, reaction is immediate and execution is realized at best possible speed and precision.

It's called neuronal priming - when you visually walk through a situation and anticipate various permutations of said situation your neurons are primed to fire when exposed to similar anticipated situations.

Mirror neurons and all that jazz - its why coaches teach basketball players to go out before games and practice plays without the ball and with the ball blah blah blah.

It's fun being a neuropsychologist.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We played 5 backup QBs this year. That is close to 1/4 of the schedule.

I guarantee you - we didn't have near the hardest schedule (except on paper) in the NFL.

We've watched great defenses for years. We know what it looks like. I get a lot of this is on Norton. But we miss those players. If you are watching this defense and think it is that much better than average - not sure what to tell you.

Also, considering we like to drain the clock down and run the ball, our defense gets shielded a bit by limited possessions. We are probably worse than the #s. One of the reasons we don't give up a ton of points is because we don't give the other team many possessions. It looks like this is a mediocre, if not worse, defense.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":17dejvne said:

But despite the steaming garbage pile of a defense, this team has gone every bit as far as the 2012, 2015 and 2016 teams that had stars, great defensive stats and drama.

So maybe a focused and positive work environment is beneficial to winning games as much as talent is. It's hard to argue with results.

This is a lunch bucket crew that thrives on its resiliency and belief. We are going to see how far that can really take you this week.

Side note: The top 2 defenses in the playoffs are sitting home right now. So much for defense winning championships.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":5emoqtps said:
Why do you continue to downplay the Hawks record? It makes no sense. Winning sucks?

He's pushing his narrative about Pete. Therefore, the worse things are (anywhere on the team) the easier it is to tell the story.

Mindsink

Reaction score
Mad Dog":15ygttfa said:
Side note: The top 2 defenses in the playoffs are sitting home right now. So much for defense winning championships.

49ers have the #2 defense. Who were you referring to?

Jville

Reaction score
OneLofaTatupu":q8djvnbk said:
Jville":q8djvnbk said:

It's called neuronal priming - when you visually walk through a situation and anticipate various permutations of said situation your neurons are primed to fire when exposed to similar anticipated situations.

Mirror neurons and all that jazz - its why coaches teach basketball players to go out before games and practice plays without the ball and with the ball blah blah blah.

It's fun being a neuropsychologist.

It must be very rewarding as well. Thanks for sharing the "neuronal priming" term. It triggered some interesting and helpful online reading. Much appreciated. :2thumbs:

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Hawkpower":17jf7tsd said:
SoulfishHawk":17jf7tsd said:
Why do you continue to downplay the Hawks record? It makes no sense. Winning sucks?

He's pushing his narrative about Pete. Therefore, the worse things are (anywhere on the team) the easier it is to tell the story.
Naw that can't be it.
:sarcasm_off: