Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Haynes looked good

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Haynes looked good
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:23 am
  • He got beat a couple times in the first half but looked great in the second. Pretty impressive for a rookie getting his first meaningful minutes of the year, especially in that situation.
    I say spend some money on Britt and roll with Brown, Haynes, Britt, draftee/Fluker and Fant/Jones.
    cheese22
    NET Starter

Re: Haynes looked good
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:32 pm
  • Pete mentioned his pass blocking was an upgrade over an injured Iupati. He should be a real competitor in 2020 at left guard.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:51 pm

• “Phil did a good job,” Carroll said on Monday afternoon. “What we’ve seen in Phillip is that he’s really strong and he plays real square. He did it in that game, he did very well. Was really pleased to see him, he’s had such little play time since he’s been here, so it was great to see him do well.”

Starting left guard Mike Iupati is a free agent, and right guard D.J. Fluker could opt out of his contract and test free agency as well, so there’s definitely an opportunity for Haynes to step into a starting role in 2020.

Time will tell if he gets that chance, but having a strong performance under his belt, in a playoff game no less, certainly helps his odds.
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:29 pm

Getting in 45 game snaps was huge. The staff got a lot of good information out of his performance. It's something they can build on.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:37 pm
  • Surprising. The few plays I paid attention to him, he was getting walked back into Russ' lap.
    EverydayImRusselin
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:06 pm
  • Haynes kept getting better as the game wore on. Pretty impressive for a guy with so little experience to play well enough to not be embarrassed on such a big stage.
    The one who has been spending a lot of time in Russ's lap is Hunt. Game after game, other than pre snap, that poor guy has spent most of his time on his heels of ass. We need an upgrade at center, to backup Britt if we get him back, or to replace Britt. Hunt is not the answer at that position.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.

Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:40 pm
  • Appyhawk wrote:Haynes kept getting better as the game wore on. Pretty impressive for a guy with so little experience to play well enough to not be embarrassed on such a big stage.
    The one who has been spending a lot of time in Russ's lap is Hunt. Game after game, other than pre snap, that poor guy has spent most of his time on his heels of ass. We need an upgrade at center, to backup Britt if we get him back, or to replace Britt. Hunt is not the answer at that position.

Well Hunt probably had a issue with leverage having a broken Fibula, hard to leg press 300 pounds plus with one leg.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:47 am
  • Is Haynes the guy that looks like he lives beyond the wall? Scary dude..
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:44 am
  • chris98251 wrote:
    Appyhawk wrote:Haynes kept getting better as the game wore on. Pretty impressive for a guy with so little experience to play well enough to not be embarrassed on such a big stage.

Well Hunt probably had a issue with leverage having a broken Fibula, hard to leg press 300 pounds plus with one leg.

He has legs? I thought he was a bowling pin. :lol: I was excited when we got him, but seems to me center position is not his calling. I've been noticing on the injury reports his fibula prob. We must be hard up when fielding guys with broken leg is the best we can do.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.

Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:25 am
  • Appyhawk wrote:We must be hard up when fielding guys with broken leg is the best we can do.

Perhaps my sarcasm detector is broken but Britt and Pocic were both on the IR. Our next guy up was a guard who doesn't even have much NFL experience at guard.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:57 am
  • I would like to keep developing Jones as a right guard, Haynes at left guard, try to keep Britt if healthy and draft his a center for the future. We still have Brown at LT, but need to look at the future here. Same for RT. Would not keep Ifedi or Fant> let them walk and get overpaid somewhere else. And please, no more Joey Hunt.
    vigilantgrrl
    NET Rookie

Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:11 am
  • AgentDib wrote:
    Appyhawk wrote:We must be hard up when fielding guys with broken leg is the best we can do.

Perhaps my sarcasm detector is broken but Britt and Pocic were both on the IR. Our next guy up was a guard who doesn't even have much NFL experience at guard.

I had thought they brought Pocic back off of IR but he never seemed to play so I guess they didn't?
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:39 am
  • Joey Hunt is a decent serviceable backup center.
    Maybe he'll beef up a little in the offseason to hold up physically. Or not.
    Bottom line is he was totally worth a roster spot.

I don't know what to think about Pocic.

Also, remember, if we get Jordan Simmons back healthy, he had the impact of a DJ Fluker in the running game, actually the team ran *better* with Simmons in than Fluker. Not sure how chronic Simmon's injuries will be, if he's just snakebit like George Fant was for a bit.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:33 pm
  • olyfan63 wrote:Joey Hunt is a decent serviceable backup center.
    Maybe he'll beef up a little in the offseason to hold up physically. Or not.
    Maybe he will be better when his broken leg and dislocated fingers heal also.

Bottom line is he was totally worth a roster spot.

I don't know what to think about Pocic.

Also, remember, if we get Jordan Simmons back healthy, he had the impact of a DJ Fluker in the running game, actually the team ran *better* with Simmons in than Fluker. Not sure how chronic Simmon's injuries will be, if he's just snakebit like George Fant was for a bit.

Added a addendum for you.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:41 pm
  • Haynes looked better than Collier.
    TheLegendOfBoom
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:46 am
  • Film Breakdown: Analyzing Seahawks G Phil Haynes' First NFL Snaps

Seahawk Maven 5.64K subscribers

During the course of the 2019 season, the Seahawks were plagued by injuries on both sides of the ball and the offensive line wasn’t immune to these issues. Center Justin Britt suffered a torn ACL, tackle Duane Brown had knee surgery late in the season, and Mike Iupati missed both playoff games with a neck stinger.

Unfortunately, promising fourth-round pick Phil Haynes first year in Seattle was derailed by his own injuries. The rookie guard started the season on the PUP list after sports hernia surgery and didn’t play a single regular season snap. But with Iupati already out and Jamarco Jones suffering a concussion in the divisional round, Haynes was thrown into the fire, playing 45 snaps with an NFC Championship Game berth on the line in Green Bay.

Playing his first NFL snaps in a tough road environment, how did Haynes perform? And what does it mean for his future in Seattle? Analyst Corbin Smith breaks down 12 plays from his first extended action with the Seahawks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neJSnOTCoao
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:10 am
  • Thanks for the film breakdown. Kid has some promise going forward.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:18 am
  • Anyone see his Tweet yesterday?

2_0_6
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:24 am
  • 2_0_6 wrote:Anyone see his Tweet yesterday?

Any idea what that is about?
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:42 am
  • Take it with a MAJOR grain of salt, but the rumors circling around the "Twitterverse" was that barring injury, he will be the starting Guard next season.
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:49 am
  • 2_0_6 wrote:Take it with a MAJOR grain of salt, but the rumors circling around the "Twitterverse" was that barring injury, he will be the starting Guard next season.

I can believe that.

I’m assuming Iupati is gone.

Fluker, my take is staying and permanently on the right side.

Jones will be right side tackle replacing Ifedi.
    TheLegendOfBoom
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:28 am
  • TheLegendOfBoom wrote:
    2_0_6 wrote:Take it with a MAJOR grain of salt, but the rumors circling around the "Twitterverse" was that barring injury, he will be the starting Guard next season.

I can believe that.

I don't see Jones as a tackle. I've never thought he's had the feet for it, but maybe. I'd rather him play there than pay Ifedi a bunch of money. I'd kinda think he and Haynes may duel it out for LG. One of them (or maybe Simmons) will also need to play RG for the games Fluker misses. I actually think Pocic is a better fit at RT. He's longer and leaner.

Haynes had a good grasp of assignment and a good feel for peeling off to pick-off stunts, but I was honestly expecting a little more physicality from him. He's got some weight room work to do at minimum. But if you were to tell me both were healthy, I thought Simmons makes the more intriguing prospect.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:59 am
  • Tical21 wrote:
    TheLegendOfBoom wrote:
    2_0_6 wrote:Take it with a MAJOR grain of salt, but the rumors circling around the "Twitterverse" was that barring injury, he will be the starting Guard next season.

I can believe that.

I don't see Jones as a tackle. I've never thought he's had the feet for it, but maybe. I'd rather him play there than pay Ifedi a bunch of money. I'd kinda think he and Haynes may duel it out for LG. One of them (or maybe Simmons) will also need to play RG for the games Fluker misses. I actually think Pocic is a better fit at RT. He's longer and leaner.

Haynes had a good grasp of assignment and a good feel for peeling off to pick-off stunts, but I was honestly expecting a little more physicality from him. He's got some weight room work to do at minimum. But if you were to tell me both were healthy, I thought Simmons makes the more intriguing prospect.

Jones can’t possibly be any worse than Ifedi at pass blocking.

Although Chandler Jones destroyed Jamarco on the left side, I would assume Jamarco can get better with more experience.

Simmons is an intriguing prospect.

I am somewhat down on Pocic. The guy has been on the team for a while and has not shown anything.

Pocic is somewhat the CJ Procise of the offensive line, just constantly hurt.
    TheLegendOfBoom
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:13 am
  • Pocic can't be relied on. Hunt looked like a traffic cone being demolished by a streetsweeper.

This team need to take advantage of a draft with good OL players. For years all we have heard is that college is not producing good players. This year that is false.

It just so happens the Hawks have a first, 2 seconds, and a 3rd to take advantage of this.

If they don't, it will probably impact our SB window with RW for the next 5 years at LEAST.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:02 pm
  • Tical21 wrote:
    TheLegendOfBoom wrote:

I can believe that.

I just wonder if Haynes was concentrating more on not getting beat, than getting any kind of anchor, or exerting power?

I like the idea of Pocic at RT. IIRC, he was better at blocking speed, than power. Hence everyone's constant "he needs to put on weight" comments.

Pete said he wanted to try and keep the OLine intact, I hope he meant some of the players on the roster, and not so much the 2019 starting lineup. Because I'd like to see some youth on there. "No country for Old Men" should apply to our OLine.

My (sorta) dream line:

LT: Duane Brown - George Fant
    LG: Phil Haynes - Jordan Simmons
    C: Restructured Britt - Hunt - Pocic
    RG: DJ Fluker - Jamarco Jones
    RT George Fant - Pocic - Jamarco Jones
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:12 pm
  • ivotuk wrote:
    My (sorta) dream line:

LT: Duane Brown - George Fant
    LG: Phil Haynes - Jordan Simmons
    C: Restructured Britt - Hunt - Pocic
    RG: DJ Fluker - Jamarco Jones
    RT George Fant - Pocic - Jamarco Jones

No, We've seen this line. I don't want to see it anymore. A huge group of very good centers. Remember when we had Maiwai?.....There are several like him available in the 2nd round. Fluker and Iupati are old and injury prone, Pocic is totally unreliable and was a Cable pick...draft is full of available guards and Centers.....This is NOW time, its not time to be cute about resigning any of these guys we have already seen that are inadequate.

The rookies available can start immediately. Sign Fant and get Britt to restructure but the rest are simply bodies.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

It is currently Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:51 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information