Haynes looked good

cheese22

Reaction score
He got beat a couple times in the first half but looked great in the second. Pretty impressive for a rookie getting his first meaningful minutes of the year, especially in that situation.
I say spend some money on Britt and roll with Brown, Haynes, Britt, draftee/Fluker and Fant/Jones.

Jville

Reaction score
Pete mentioned his pass blocking was an upgrade over an injured Iupati. He should be a real competitor in 2020 at left guard.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/TheSeahawksWire/status/1216880340062613504[/tweet]

“Phil did a good job,” Carroll said on Monday afternoon. “What we’ve seen in Phillip is that he’s really strong and he plays real square. He did it in that game, he did very well. Was really pleased to see him, he’s had such little play time since he’s been here, so it was great to see him do well.”

Starting left guard Mike Iupati is a free agent, and right guard D.J. Fluker could opt out of his contract and test free agency as well, so there’s definitely an opportunity for Haynes to step into a starting role in 2020.

Time will tell if he gets that chance, but having a strong performance under his belt, in a playoff game no less, certainly helps his odds.

Jville

Reaction score
EOKk9VeXsAEGBWk

Getting in 45 game snaps was huge. The staff got a lot of good information out of his performance. It's something they can build on.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Surprising. The few plays I paid attention to him, he was getting walked back into Russ' lap.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Haynes kept getting better as the game wore on. Pretty impressive for a guy with so little experience to play well enough to not be embarrassed on such a big stage.
The one who has been spending a lot of time in Russ's lap is Hunt. Game after game, other than pre snap, that poor guy has spent most of his time on his heels of ass. We need an upgrade at center, to backup Britt if we get him back, or to replace Britt. Hunt is not the answer at that position.

chris98251

Reaction score
Appyhawk":2rvr5kyg said:
Haynes kept getting better as the game wore on. Pretty impressive for a guy with so little experience to play well enough to not be embarrassed on such a big stage.
The one who has been spending a lot of time in Russ's lap is Hunt. Game after game, other than pre snap, that poor guy has spent most of his time on his heels of ass. We need an upgrade at center, to backup Britt if we get him back, or to replace Britt. Hunt is not the answer at that position.

Well Hunt probably had a issue with leverage having a broken Fibula, hard to leg press 300 pounds plus with one leg.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
chris98251":2r88spxy said:
Appyhawk":2r88spxy said:

Well Hunt probably had a issue with leverage having a broken Fibula, hard to leg press 300 pounds plus with one leg.

He has legs? I thought he was a bowling pin. :lol: I was excited when we got him, but seems to me center position is not his calling. I've been noticing on the injury reports his fibula prob. We must be hard up when fielding guys with broken leg is the best we can do.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Appyhawk":fdfj1j6z said:
We must be hard up when fielding guys with broken leg is the best we can do.
Perhaps my sarcasm detector is broken but Britt and Pocic were both on the IR. Our next guy up was a guard who doesn't even have much NFL experience at guard.

vigilantgrrl

Reaction score
I would like to keep developing Jones as a right guard, Haynes at left guard, try to keep Britt if healthy and draft his a center for the future. We still have Brown at LT, but need to look at the future here. Same for RT. Would not keep Ifedi or Fant> let them walk and get overpaid somewhere else. And please, no more Joey Hunt.

HawkGA

Reaction score
AgentDib":2gglqfce said:
Appyhawk":2gglqfce said:
We must be hard up when fielding guys with broken leg is the best we can do.
Perhaps my sarcasm detector is broken but Britt and Pocic were both on the IR. Our next guy up was a guard who doesn't even have much NFL experience at guard.

I had thought they brought Pocic back off of IR but he never seemed to play so I guess they didn't?

olyfan63

Reaction score
Joey Hunt is a decent serviceable backup center.
Maybe he'll beef up a little in the offseason to hold up physically. Or not.
Bottom line is he was totally worth a roster spot.

I don't know what to think about Pocic.

Also, remember, if we get Jordan Simmons back healthy, he had the impact of a DJ Fluker in the running game, actually the team ran *better* with Simmons in than Fluker. Not sure how chronic Simmon's injuries will be, if he's just snakebit like George Fant was for a bit.

chris98251

Reaction score
olyfan63":3db2cf9y said:
Joey Hunt is a decent serviceable backup center.
Maybe he'll beef up a little in the offseason to hold up physically. Or not.
Maybe he will be better when his broken leg and dislocated fingers heal also.

Bottom line is he was totally worth a roster spot.

I don't know what to think about Pocic.

Also, remember, if we get Jordan Simmons back healthy, he had the impact of a DJ Fluker in the running game, actually the team ran *better* with Simmons in than Fluker. Not sure how chronic Simmon's injuries will be, if he's just snakebit like George Fant was for a bit.

Added a addendum for you.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Film Breakdown: Analyzing Seahawks G Phil Haynes' First NFL Snaps

Seahawk Maven 5.64K subscribers

During the course of the 2019 season, the Seahawks were plagued by injuries on both sides of the ball and the offensive line wasn’t immune to these issues. Center Justin Britt suffered a torn ACL, tackle Duane Brown had knee surgery late in the season, and Mike Iupati missed both playoff games with a neck stinger.

Unfortunately, promising fourth-round pick Phil Haynes first year in Seattle was derailed by his own injuries. The rookie guard started the season on the PUP list after sports hernia surgery and didn’t play a single regular season snap. But with Iupati already out and Jamarco Jones suffering a concussion in the divisional round, Haynes was thrown into the fire, playing 45 snaps with an NFC Championship Game berth on the line in Green Bay.

Playing his first NFL snaps in a tough road environment, how did Haynes perform? And what does it mean for his future in Seattle? Analyst Corbin Smith breaks down 12 plays from his first extended action with the Seahawks.

[youtube]neJSnOTCoao[/youtube]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neJSnOTCoao

sutz

Reaction score
Thanks for the film breakdown. Kid has some promise going forward.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Take it with a MAJOR grain of salt, but the rumors circling around the "Twitterverse" was that barring injury, he will be the starting Guard next season.