Rob Staton has a great perspective on it all

ivotuk

Reaction score
Instant reaction: Seahawks beaten in Green day

January 12th, 2020 | Written by Rob Staton

Life as a Seahawks fan.

The slow starts, the heroic rallies. Winning with blissful drama and losing in fairly crushing ways too. It’s never dull. Yet ultimately this is another season that ends without a return to the Super Bowl.

There’s no wrong way to respond to this loss and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. If you want to bemoan the slow start that made the failed comeback necessary, that’s OK. If you want to acknowledge the grit and character this team continues to show by never knowing when it is beaten, that’s OK too.

http://seahawksdraftblog.com/

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Too bad reasoned perspectives get less clicks than rabble-rousing.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I just don't see how anyone ever thought the team was a SB team. It never seemed to me the talent was at or near our 2013 season and then injuries struck. Yet people are angry that we didn't go to the SB.

Never makes much sense to me.

This was a fun year because they did better than I expected but ultimately not as well as I'd hoped. But I'll take that over never even meeting expectations (looking at you Baltimore)

Seymour

Reaction score
Mad Dog":1kpvt50q said:
I just don't see how anyone ever thought the team was a SB team. It never seemed to me the talent was at or near our 2013 season and then injuries struck. Yet people are angry that we didn't go to the SB.

This was a fun year because they did better than I expected but ultimately not as well as I'd hoped. But I'll take that over never even meeting expectations (looking at you Baltimore)

I'm personally not PO'ed that we aren't going to the SB as that was beyond what I expected from this team. BUT.....I'm pretty pissed about the fashion in which we lost with the ridiculous slow starts, the slow to adjust game plans, the pathetic to the point of comical in game decision making including not even getting play calls in in time, the repeat offenders getting penalties, the bust and picked too soon high draft picks....ect that made us look like a 2nd rate organization too many times.
I can't call for Pete's head given what he's brought, but I sure as hell can ask and be frustrated that he does not seem to be able to evolve his philosophy and build the team around his biggest weapon, and be disciplined enough to clean things up.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with someone thinking the team is gonna' make the Super Bowl. I felt like they were good but just a notch below making the Super Bowl. And that's pretty much how it panned out. But hey, if someone thinks the team is gonna' make it, hell yes. What I don't understand is when people call out the fans who believed in the team. All in how you look at it I guess. Angry? Nah, more bummed. And the slow starts are ridiculous, enough already.

getnasty

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":15ianxip said:
Nothing wrong with someone thinking the team is gonna' make the Super Bowl. I felt like they were good but just a notch below making the Super Bowl. And that's pretty much how it panned out. But hey, if someone thinks the team is gonna' make it, hell yes. What I don't understand is when people call out the fans who believed in the team. All in how you look at it I guess. Angry? Nah, more bummed. And the slow starts are ridiculous, enough already.

Yeah nothing wrong with hoping you make it to a SB and maybe with a little luck on the injury side of things this year turns out different. To sit here and say Pete should be fired as a coach for taking a middle of the road talented team to the round of 8 is questionable at best though.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I certainly don't want him fired, hell no. However, years and years of stubborn is getting old. NO reason to start slow in the 1st half over and over again. But I want him sticking around. Fire Pete? Nope
Fair criticism doesn't mean someone wants him fired and/or that they don't appreciate the guy. The slow starts and the time management issues are real problems, like him or not.
Guys like Pitt and Xray spend all day bashing the guy, as if he's the worst coach in the history of the NFL.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Write on, Montana. You got it.

Mad Dog, Pre season I looked at our roster, listened to what our coaches and guys said, and believed we had a shot at the SB. But then I do that most every year lately. I think every team feels that way.

Soul,l I think part of the problem with our slow starts is due to using the same plays scripted for first possession every single game. It's not that hard to stop what you KNOW is coming. First possession is an important tone setter. The tone we set early has been extraordinarily consistent, and we all know consistency is high on Pete's priority list...so there ya go.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I wasn't counting on a Super Bowl when the year started, outside of the usual fan thing where every year you have hopes. I didn't see the Hawks at the same level as the Saints, Rams (wow how things change). But despite the fact that a of wins were close games or "winning ugly", once the record got to 10-2 and there was a path to the #1 seed I started believing. It was the loss to the cardinals and the news that night of Carson done for the year that changed me back to it's not happening this year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2gy8dnkt said:

For sure, I've said all year we're overachieving because we have an MVP QB that made for an extra 3-4 wins that we shouldn't have won with all the injuries and how poorly the defense has played.

Having said that, doesn't mean I still don't have SERIOUS concerns on how and why John and Pete are still struggling in year three of rebuilding the defense into another top 10 defense.......of which is needed for how Pete wants his offense to run.

Year three of a rebuild should not result in regressing to the worst statistical defense of your tenure. That concerns me a LOT.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Very good point about the predictability. I sit there and call out plays before they happen all the time. And I'm guessing most of the other Hawks fans watching do the same. It's incredibly predictable.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
i agree with Rob Statton. It's easy to kvetch and moan about the Pete's style when the team doesn't come away with a W. It's easy to do the same for a few even when they win.

My only gripe is the O plays S-L-O-W far to much.

Wilson is very effective playing hurry up O. That seems to be out of Schotty's comfort zone.