RB room

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Heading towards the 2020 season, the RB room looks to be in good shape. On paper. As long as the injured players heal. As of now the RB depth looks to be 1. Carson, 2. Penny, 3. Homer.

Procise will not be resigned, nor should he. Marshawn Lynch was a nice story in a time of need, but hes done. With the top three, the RB position looks to be something that is not needed to be addressed in the offseason. Or is it?

As powerful and productive as Chris Carson can be, he has not been able to finish a season, let alone play 16 games without injury. The 2019 was his most productive year to date in terms of yards and games played. He played in 15 games in 2019 and 14 games in 2018. Is his inability to stay healthy for a whole season a concern for the team? Maybe.

Rashaad Penny has also shown that he can be a productive back at the NFL level. He has also shown that he hasn't been able to stay healthy for an entire season.

Travis Homer has shown us a few nice plays but nothing to really indicate that he can be the main guy.

With the injury history of these guys, do they look for another RB during the offseason? I believe they absolutely have to. I like both Carson and Penny but neither has shown the durability needed for the position.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Pete seemed to indicate that Penny's knee injury was very significant. I doubt he is back next year and possibly not ever. I was thinking about the RB situation and its seems very likely to me this team either gets a free agent RB or spends more draft picks on one. Especially since, as good as Carson has been, he has been injured every year so far.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I think they need at least 2. Your top 2 are coming off significant injuries.
CJP is gone.

AgentDib

Reaction score
We obviously need to add a third RB who can run between the tackles either way but the urgency will depend on how the injury recoveries look for the next few months. Perine from Florida looks like an intriguing option in the middle rounds of the draft.

Personally, I'd like to see us add a speedy RB to compete with Homer. It hasn't felt like we have had a consistent home run threat since Leon Washington other than the handful of games that Harvin played in. Having the potential to take a sweep, pitch or screen to the house helps an offense like this out immensely. Ekeler from the Chargers, if they decide not to pay both Ekeler and Gordon, Etienne from Clemson, or Dobbins from Ohio State are intriguing options so far here.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
I think Seattle adds a mid-tier free agent back and probably draft another back in rounds 6 or 7.

sutz

Reaction score
More or less agree with all. Prosise is probably gone. I wouldn't bother with him. His contract is up, thanks for the time.

Seems very unlikely they won't add bodies to the mix. The question might be how much capital to spend on more RBs. I'd expect at least 2 new faces, and probably 3-4 in next year's camp. It would be nice if we had an idea about Penny, I'm hearing a lot of comments, but nothing with any authority behind them. If' he's really done for good, than my estimate goes up by at least one. But we have other needs, too.

Pete discussed the D a bit in his season ending presser, but not a lot of details. Obviously need some work there. I actually don't worry about the slow starts on O as much as the D being unable to make stops in the first quarter/half. I'll usually not panic if the other team scores on their opening drive. That's the scripted plays that are well drilled in practice. But going down 3 scores early is an obvious problem, and we need to force more punts in the first half of games.

Ozzy

Reaction score
There are some really good backs in this draft if you take one early(ducks). Wouldn't be totally shocked if one of these guys with a first round grade drops into the 3rd and they took one. Not staying they should but I wouldn't be shocked.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
On PAPER our roster this year looked fantastic. That take didn't last long. Neither of our lines held up and we lost an entire stable of running backs. And that's a short list of what we lost. So we get a bunch back after an off season to heal, but at best they'll be back less than 100%. Lot of times injuries never get back to full recovery.
Roster turnover is inevitable, much as I hate to see it happen. IIRC we were tagged as on of the youngest teams this year. But we didn't have anyone capable of filling the shoes of those that went down. Quality subs are as important as the guys you name as starters because as the season goes on some of them will be. We won't make it through a year with only 2 RBs. Got to do something bout that, but we can help that by doing something about our line. A good line can reduce the punishment those RBs and our QB take.
Control the LOS and you WILL be competitive.
John and Pete have their work cut out for them this year.

massari

Reaction score
Natethegreat":usnru1x2 said:
Pete seemed to indicate that Penny's knee injury was very significant. I doubt he is back next year and possibly not ever.
Had no idea it was that bad :(

They definitely have to draft one and sign Mike Davis, or a guy like him.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
massari":3ne4yt77 said:
Natethegreat":3ne4yt77 said:
Pete seemed to indicate that Penny's knee injury was very significant. I doubt he is back next year and possibly not ever.

Why is everyone so in love with Mike Davis? I don't get it. He signed a decent contract with Chicago, barely saw the field despite the being one of the worst backfields in the league. Then was signed by Carolina as a 3rd/4th stringer.

Trust me, if you're looking for RB depth, there will be much better options in the FA pool and the draft.

sutz

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":2risrr64 said:
massari":2risrr64 said:
Natethegreat":2risrr64 said:

Why is everyone so in love with Mike Davis? I don't get it. He signed a decent contract with Chicago, barely saw the field despite the being one of the worst backfields in the league. Then was signed by Carolina as a 3rd/4th stringer.

Trust me, if you're looking for RB depth, there will be much better options in the FA pool and the draft.
Yeah, I don't see a lot of Seahawks alumni RBs around the league I would try very hard to get. We have Carson coming back and Homer. Both have seasons under their belts, let's look to the draft and maybe whatever RBs are available. I hope Penny can come back, but we definitely need 2-5 new bodies in the RB room next spring competing for the final 53.

massari

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":s2x919s1 said:
He played well in this system last season and will be cheap. How is this difficult to figure out?

They need to draft a RB and bring in another cheap vet. Mike Davis seems perfect.

[youtube]KVEVR_w6vwo[/youtube]

Thepeelsessions":s2x919s1 said:
Trust me, if you're looking for RB depth, there will be much better options in the FA pool
Well let's hear them

Nunya_

Reaction score
If The Seahawks are thinking of picking up a RB in Free Agency, I would look at Melvin Gordon (Chargers), Kenyan Drake (Cards), or Lamar Miller (Texans) if they are still available. Derrick Henry is in a contract year, but the Titans would be foolish to not resign him.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
Nunya_":h3xblinl said:
If The Seahawks are thinking of picking up a RB in Free Agency, I would look at Melvin Gordon (Chargers), Kenyan Drake (Cards), or Lamar Miller (Texans) if they are still available. Derrick Henry is in a contract year, but the Titans would be foolish to not resign him.
Cards will re-sign Drake, I think that's a given. Gordon is gonna want to be a starter and get starter money, so Seattle won't target him. Miller? Maybe, but doubt it.

Nunya_

Reaction score
Seahawk_Dan":l0iu4de9 said:
Nunya_":l0iu4de9 said:
Cards will re-sign Drake, I think that's a given. Gordon is gonna want to be a starter and get starter money, so Seattle won't target him. Miller? Maybe, but doubt it.

I agree that Cards will likely sign Drake.

Gordon was a holdout and did not play until week 5. He never did get his contract. He might be upset with that a little. I agree that it depends on what his asking price is.

Miller tore his ACL in preseason. If Houston is happy with the RB core they had this season, they might let him go. He could be cheap since he did not play this season. If he rehab'ed and stayed in shape, he could be a good pick-up.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
Nunya_":v8e1ika4 said:
Seahawk_Dan":v8e1ika4 said:
Nunya_":v8e1ika4 said:

I agree that Cards will likely sign Drake.

Gordon was a holdout and did not play until week 5. He never did get his contract. He might be upset with that a little. I agree that it depends on what his asking price is.

Miller tore his ACL in preseason. If Houston is happy with the RB core they had this season, they might let him go. He could be cheap since he did not play this season. If he rehab'ed and stayed in shape, he could be a good pick-up.
Wasn't Miller's MO though that he is injury prone? Seems like he barely finishes a season, so signing him to a team that has two RB coming off injury, one very significant (Penny), and one that is looking a little prone (Carson) may not be the best choice.

Nunya_

Reaction score
Seahawk_Dan":10v6ugn6 said:
Wasn't Miller's MO though that he is injury prone? Seems like he barely finishes a season, so signing him to a team that has two RB coming off injury, one very significant (Penny), and one that is looking a little prone (Carson) may not be the best choice.

He only missed 2 games in 2016 and 2 games in 2018. However, he played in the post season both of those years, so I don't think he had any serious injury.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
Nunya_":2vr3lnai said:
Seahawk_Dan":2vr3lnai said:

He only missed 2 games in 2016 and 2 games in 2018. However, he played in the post season both of those years, so I don't think he had any serious injury.
Mixed my backs up. I was thinking Doug Martin.

Seahawkwalt1967

Reaction score
massari":3t8nobfb said:
Thepeelsessions":3t8nobfb said:
He played well in this system last season and will be cheap. How is this difficult to figure out?

They need to draft a RB and bring in another cheap vet. Mike Davis seems perfect.

I agree. He would be perfect.. I hope it happens. 26 yrs old, underrated runner, and little (if any) action this year so he's fresh

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
massari":2prd2wl7 said:
Thepeelsessions":2prd2wl7 said:

That Arizona run defense was literally worst in the league that year, so I never put any stock into that performance. If Mike Davis really was all that, he would have broken into a bottom barrel backfield this year. He stinks. It's hard to understand how some here were wanting Davis as the feature guy that year over Carson. Even Dave Wyman. Wyman is awesome, but that was just ridiculous. Look back at Davis' big games from that year, and you'll see that they all came against bottom 5 run defenses.

I don't know, I just think they should took with what they have and add via the draft. I like Carson and Penny, but both have mounting injury concerns. Seems like a lot are doubting Penny's bounce back. But there have also been a handful of skill position players in recent years who have come back and looked better than before their injury. Adrian Peterson, Cooper Kupp, Keenan Allen, Dalvin Cook, Jordy Nelson, etc. I really hope Penny can follow that group.