What FA pass rushers do you want to see come to this team?

Polk738

Reaction score
Since the pass rush was the biggest weakness this year I really think Pete and John go big on the D-line this off season during FA, just like after 2012 when they brought in Avril and Bennett-who would you like them to sign?

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Clowney.

And then it depends on who's available.

Eastcoasthawk

Reaction score
50/50 on Clowney. Dude down in Jacksonville is pretty boss and more consistent and for same maybe less on money. Beasley or Williams would be prove it deals or gap fills. Those two would be ones I’d target in draft. Reed a prove it deal and Daniels a gap fill. Collier I think is a bust at end but could gain weight and play inside. And Blacklock with the third comp or first fourth if still there.

DE
-Clowney/Yannick Ngakoue 4 year deal
-Curtis Weaver Boise State if available
-Khalid Kareem Notre Dame 2nd round pick
-Vic Beasley/Leonard Williams one year deals

DT
-Reed one year deal
-Mike Daniels one year deal
-L.J. Collier 20lbs gain move inside
-Ross Blacklock TCU 3-4 round

This is just some options on what they could do. Do believe could get all with other needs. And I know the question was just free agents coming in. Just wanted add some options from draft.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Polk738":1ofz1685 said:
Since the pass rush was the biggest weakness this year I really think Pete and John go big on the D-line this off season during FA, just like after 2012 when they brought in Avril and Bennett-who would you like them to sign?
Clowney for sure, and then whoever is available bookend for a fair deal.
I'm not so sure that "Pass Rush" was the weakest link this season, as I believe that Russ had his ass hanging out in the wind without a Run Game to help take the constant pressure off.
Also, Having Bobby Wagner & KJ Wright covering Receivers was an eye opener, & was a gross misuse of their best assets.
Getting a decent Corner opposite of Quill, would free up the LINE backers to flourish.
Diggs & Mac helped out A BUNCH, which in turn, helped free up the LB's to take care of the intermediate.

sdog1981

Reaction score
I would be shocked if the Seahawks went all-in on free agency this offseason.

The 2012 to 2014 pass rush was built on hitting teams with wave after wave of fresh bodies.

Chris Clemmons was on his 4th team when he joined the Seahawks in 2010.

Cliff Avril was a "situational pass rusher" because he had one double digited sack season before he signed with the Seahawks.

Michale Bennett was cut by the Seahawks his rookie year then had 3 average years in Tampa Bay then one big year before he hit the market at 27.

Clinton McDonald was on the Seahawks since 2011 and did NOTHING until 2013. However, he was a major force with 4 of his 5 sacks coming on 3rd down.

Bruce Irvin rookie DE who was moved to OLB after his 8 sack rookie season and only had 2 sacks. So he was kind of a one-trick blitz pony at this point in his career.

So who are those types of players going into 2020? Since we don't know who will be cut

Edge rushers

Kyle Fackrell 28 GB
Parnell McPhee 31 Bal
JPP 31 TB
Markus Golden 29 NYG
Robert Quinn 30 Dal
Kerry Hyder 29 Dal
Bruce Irvin (Bridges might be burnt)
Vic Besley 28 ATL
Vinny Curry 28 PHI

DT

Gerald McCoy 32 Car still had 5 sacks last season
Vernon Butler 26 Car

Potential cap cuts.

Melvin Ingram 30 14 million savings if cut
Olivier Vernon 29 15 million savings if cut
Geno Atkins 31 7 million savings if cut. The Bangles keep players to the detriment of the team so this one is unlikely.
Ryan Kerrigan 31 11 million savings if cut.

AgentDib

Reaction score
By my estimation we have a ton of potential cap space to play with due to the way NFL contracts typically escalate into the future. When DeMarcus Lawrence signed his 21m APY extension the cap hit that first season was only 11m. Frank Clark (20.8m APY) had a 2019 cap hit of only 6.5m, while Trey Flowers (18m APY) had a 2019 cap hit of 6.4m.

Then factor in that the cap will likely be going up and that we could clear further cap space by restructuring or cutting Britt, KJ and Dickson. We have a lot of potential incoming rookies who will be competing for roster slots on cheap deals. With 19 UFAs there's a good chance we will be looking at comp picks next year which would allow us to trade a mid round 2021 pick or two to shore up weak areas in training camp.

OP
OP
Polk738

Polk738

Reaction score
sdog1981":2pvhfjoc said:

The 2012 to 2014 pass rush was built on hitting teams with wave after wave of fresh bodies.

Cliff Avril was a "situational pass rusher" because he had one double digited sack season before he signed with the Seahawks.

Michale Bennett was cut by the Seahawks his rookie year then had 3 average years in Tampa Bay then one big year before he hit the market at 27.

Clinton McDonald was on the Seahawks since 2011 and did NOTHING until 2013. However, he was a major force with 4 of his 5 sacks coming on 3rd down.

Bruce Irvin rookie DE who was moved to OLB after his 8 sack rookie season and only had 2 sacks. So he was kind of a one-trick blitz pony at this point in his career.

So who are those types of players going into 2020? Since we don't know who will be cut

Edge rushers

Kyle Fackrell 28 GB
Parnell McPhee 31 Bal
JPP 31 TB
Markus Golden 29 NYG
Robert Quinn 30 Dal
Kerry Hyder 29 Dal
Vic Besley 28 ATL
Vinny Curry 28 PHI

DT

Vernon Butler 26 Car

Potential cap cuts.

Geno Atkins 31 7 million savings if cut. The Bangles keep players to the detriment of the team so this one is unlikely.

This is very true about the 2012-2014 pass rush and I really think PC wants to get back to that, so I will agree that Clowney will be resigned but I'm pretty sure we are all in agreeance that he needs help and they will bring in more bodies to do this-The reason I think they go all in is because they have NEVER had this much cap space since PC has been with this team, Bennett and Avril were game changers for this team in 2013 they need to find those guys again for 2020.

Tical21

Reaction score
Screw Clowney at 23 mil. That’s toxic. I’m with Mista. All in on Bud Dupree. Consolation prizes would be Quinn and Judon

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Good post!

Whoever Carroll finds, I’m sure he wants to go the same route he did when he signed Bennett and Avril.

Both got paid the same as far as I can remember with one signing a one year deal, if I remember correctly.

sdog1981 said it/thought it best, Carroll, may be looking for under utilized “cast offs.”

Maybe no one other than Clowney gets paid and Carroll goes after one or two of the guys sdog mentions.

sdog1981":2kqoa711 said:

Edge rushers

Kyle Fackrell 28 GB
Parnell McPhee 31 Bal
JPP 31 TB
Markus Golden 29 NYG
Robert Quinn 30 Dal
Kerry Hyder 29 Dal
Vic Besley 28 ATL
Vinny Curry 28 PHI

DT

Vernon Butler 26 Car

Potential cap cuts.

sdog1981

Reaction score
If they sign Clowny to a 20 million a year deal which would be 6 million below Frank Clark year over year. I'm all in on that due to the draft picks the Hawks got for Clark.

To really pull off what the Seahawks want to do they will need 4 pass rushers and only 1 of them need to be elite.

Clowney, Griffin, Green are all in that mix.

Naz Jones? I have no clue what is going on with him. 2020 is the last year on his rookie deal.

There is not a lot left on this team in terms of a pass rush. This team needs to bring in around 4 to 5 players via free agency and the draft to turn things around.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
sdog1981":2dvg215s said:
If they sign Clowny to a 20 million a year deal which would be 6 million below Frank Clark year over year. I'm all in on that due to the draft picks the Hawks got for Clark.

To really pull off what the Seahawks want to do they will need 4 pass rushers and only 1 of them need to be elite.

Clowney, Griffin, Green are all in that mix.

Naz Jones? I have no clue what is going on with him. 2020 is the last year on his rookie deal.

There is not a lot left on this team in terms of a pass rush. This team needs to bring in around 4 to 5 players via free agency and the draft to turn things around.
I’d like to see some free agent sign with Seattle.

Probably not going to be a household name (my guess) hopefully it works out.

knownone

Reaction score
Tical21":16ovdfii said:
Screw Clowney at 23 mil. That’s toxic. I’m with Mista. All in on Bud Dupree. Consolation prizes would be Quinn and Judon
I would have serious doubts about John Schneider if he let Clowney walk for Dupree. Dupree's pass-rush win rate is 13.1% which is worse than Quinton Jefferson (16%) and Clowney (25%).

Fade

Reaction score
Polk738":3jlp0dy1 said:
sdog1981":3jlp0dy1 said:

Edge rushers

Kyle Fackrell 28 GB
Parnell McPhee 31 Bal
JPP 31 TB
Markus Golden 29 NYG
Robert Quinn 30 Dal
Kerry Hyder 29 Dal
Vic Besley 28 ATL
Vinny Curry 28 PHI

DT

Vernon Butler 26 Car

Potential cap cuts.

This is very true about the 2012-2014 pass rush and I really think PC wants to get back to that, so I will agree that Clowney will be resigned but I'm pretty sure we are all in agreeance that he needs help and they will bring in more bodies to do this-The reason I think they go all in is because they have NEVER had this much cap space since PC has been with this team, Bennett and Avril were game changers for this team in 2013 they need to find those guys again for 2020.

Wait, I was told last year, you can't pay a QB $35M a year and still have cap space to build a team. :lol: And now they have the most ever in the PC era. :D :D

PC/JS did sign Zach Miller, Sidney Rice, and Robert Gallery, in one off-season back in the day. Seattle isn't afraid to be big spenders in Free Agency, it's just that they couldn't after that because they hit on a ton of picks and it was a struggle just trying to keep their own.

Re-Signing Clowney and snagging, Robert Quinn, along with someone like, Melvin Ingram, if cut would be a huge coo.

But yeah, they need Bennett, Avril, Clemons, reincarnated. They need a Hydra. Clowney was doubled so often it was ridiculous. They have to get him help. Thankfully, they have a ton of cap space to get this done.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
This is very true the team needs a complimentary player to Clowney so the edge rush is not one sided. His effectiveness was seriously limited by the reality there was no other player that needed to be accounted for so every opponent got away with doubling JC. Keeping Clowney and adding a real Leo will solve the pass rush from the edges. Reed failed to show up as expected last season and was a disappointment as an interior pass rusher. The team needs that genuine 3 tech they have been trying to find for a few years now, Reed isn't the guy.

Even then the most dominant performance I can ever recall from a Seahawks DE came from Clowney in the SF game in their house. But that performance hurt him and he was thereafter less effective as he dealt with a sports hernia. Clowney to me is worth paying but so would be a good Leo and if not that a legit 3 tech, who can also be stout against the run.

I had hopes for Green at the outset and just don't know what the team has in him, suspect he's a complimentary depth quality DE but he could be more. Collier is a mystery and maybe is a player who needs to move inside. There are numerous players who could compliment Clowney at either Leo or 3 Tech, the missing pass rush was noticeably a weakness of the D this last season and is certainly likely to be a priority in FA and/or the draft.

This offseason will tell a lot about the FO's goals for the team short term I expect JS and PC to be active repairing a DLine where the cupboard has become mostly empty. The same can be said about the OLine.

massari

Reaction score
If Akiem Hicks and Melvin Ingram are available, Hicks would have a $10M cap hit for each of the next two seasons and Ingram a $14M cap hit this season before becoming a UFA

Clowney, Hicks, Reed, Ingram

Shaq Lawson on a cheap deal would be a bonus.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
knownone":11y1uvbo said:
Tical21":11y1uvbo said:
I would have serious doubts about John Schneider if he let Clowney walk for Dupree. Dupree's pass-rush win rate is 13.1% which is worse than Quinton Jefferson (16%) and Clowney (25%).
Agree ^ The Pass Rush, pressures & hits are every bit as important as Sack count.
Our weakest link last season (until we brought in Diggs) was the Secondary; Our Linebackers weren't nearly as effective because they were being tasked to help cover for the secondary's weakness in covering Receivers.
That's why many folks around here were complaining that Wright & Wagner weren't producing like they'd done in years past, or looking like they'd lost a step.
Quarterbacks were taking advantage of the breakdown in coverage, and doing quick dump-offs, which Kills the hits, pressures & sacks.
How many "Coverage Sacks" did the Seahawks register last year?....yeah. :34853_doh: