We're sitting at about 59 million

Tical21

Reaction score
Do you spend 40 of that on Clowney/Reed?

We can do some things like cutting Dickson and Britt, and that will save you about an additional what, 15? But does that leave Joey Hunt?

Our current defensive linemen group coming back consists of: Naz Jones, LJ Collier, Poona Ford, Rasheem Green and Demarcus Christmas.

I keep hearing around here that we have all this cap space to go shopping. I guess we kind of do, but we have are starting with a totally empty cupboard, and cap space is definitely going to be a major issue.

2_0_6

Reaction score
The more I read, the more it sounds like Clowney is going to be highly coveted by several teams. I really want him back here, but not at more than $21m per. Maybe the culture of the locker room might entice him to take a bit less?

Let Reed walk, unless he is down with signing a 1 year, incentive laden prove it deal.

What I want:

Restructure-extend Justin Britt
Resign Luke Willson-George Fant
IF* Clowney signs elsewhere, sign Yannick Ngakoue & Vic Beasley.
Sign Guard Brandon Sherff
Sign CB Chris Harris
Sign a vet TE. Hunter Henry, Eric Ebron, Austin Hooper etc.

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
2_0_6":1eerlg59 said:
The more I read, the more it sounds like Clowney is going to be highly coveted by several teams. I really want him back here, but not at more than $21m per. Maybe the culture of the locker room might entice him to take a bit less?

Let Reed walk, unless he is down with signing a 1 year, incentive laden prove it deal.

What I want:

Sign CB Chris Harris

Yeah, I'm pretty aligned with most of this too, but doing the math, I think that's gonna take more than we got.

A Britt restructure is logical, especially since Russ seemed pretty bothered by having Hunt in there.

I want zero part of Luke Willson.

I do want Fant, but in his exit interviews with reporters, he was saying that teams now know he can play LT in this league. I think he's looking for 7-10 mil APY.

Love Yannick. He'll be like 18 mil tho. Other names to consider are Judon, Robert Quinn, Bud Dupree, Dante Fowler.

Sherff is expected to get 13-15 APY.

Chris Harris probably gets, what, 12 APY, if Coleman got 9?

We do need a vet TE hedge for Dissly. Ebron was the first name that came up for me.

I think we can maybe get like 2 of those bigger names mentioned above, but not all 4-5.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Right now we're assuming a cap at $200M --- but you're right that could go up especially if the CBA doesn't get done soon.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Tical21":3owpf3vt said:
2_0_6":3owpf3vt said:

What I want:

Sign CB Chris Harris

Yeah, I'm pretty aligned with most of this too, but doing the math, I think that's gonna take more than we got.

A Britt restructure is logical, especially since Russ seemed pretty bothered by having Hunt in there.

I do want Fant, but in his exit interviews with reporters, he was saying that teams now know he can play LT in this league. I think he's looking for 7-10 mil APY.

Love Yannick. He'll be like 18 mil tho. Other names to consider are Judon, Robert Quinn, Bud Dupree, Dante Fowler.

We do need a vet TE hedge for Dissly. Ebron was the first name that came up for me..

I think Willson would be a good solid #3 TE that wont cost nearly anything.

I dont see Harris getting that, especially since he's 31. Coleman is only 26 and in his prime.

The pass rush has to come from somewhere from someone with tread left on the tires which is going to cost some money. QUinn and Fowler would be ideal backup plans, but we need to get at that QB

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Everyone keeps bringing up Britt as an expendable cap casualty, but I don't see it that way.

We saw what the line looked like with Hunt. He played his ass off, and he's a great backup. But he's not an NFL starting center, he's just not. Way too small.

So if you'd like to not only get the nastiness and size back into the run game, you need Britt..................AND you need the continuity of him being on the line. Sure as hell don't want three new pieces on the line (RT, LG and center).

But you can certainly ask Britt to restructure coming off an ACL injury. Give him another year with a little more guaranteed money in exchange for less per year for a little cap relief.

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1ws5ah5f said:
Everyone keeps bringing up Britt as an expendable cap casualty, but I don't see it that way.

We saw what the line looked like with Hunt. He played his ass off, and he's a great backup. But he's not an NFL starting center, he's just not. Way too small.

So if you'd like to not only get the nastiness and size back into the run game, you need Britt..................AND you need the continuity of him being on the line. Sure as hell don't want three new pieces on the line (RT, LG and center).

But you can certainly ask Britt to restructure coming off an ACL injury. Give him another year with a little more guaranteed money in exchange for less per year for a little cap relief.
I don't think you can pay Britt 12 million. Yeah, I'm thinking add two years and lower his number.

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
2_0_6":zl5u889l said:
Tical21":zl5u889l said:
2_0_6":zl5u889l said:

What I want:

Sign CB Chris Harris

We do need a vet TE hedge for Dissly. Ebron was the first name that came up for me..

I think Willson would be a good solid #3 TE that wont cost nearly anything.

I dont see Harris getting that, especially since he's 31. Coleman is only 26 and in his prime.

The pass rush has to come from somewhere from someone with tread left on the tires which is going to cost some money. Quinn and Fowler would be ideal backup plans, but we need to get at that QB
I think Harris will, he's the best nickel corner unquestionably available. He won't get a 4-5 year deal but he'll be expensive. Fowler is really young still, isn't he? Quinn had 11.5 sacks last year and fits us schematically well. I'd agree you'd prefer a long-term option but only one team is going to get Yannick. I'm in, but I also think we need two.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Tical21":2tjlqq76 said:
Sgt. Largent":2tjlqq76 said:

I don't think you can pay Britt 12 million. Yeah, I'm thinking add two years and lower his number.

I agree, and almost all of Britt's guaranteed money is gone, so the Hawks have the leverage to dangle another year or two with some more guaranteed cash in exchange for cap relief.

Because no one's paying him 12M on the open market if he's cut.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
2_0_6":3g6zxh3w said:

What I want:

Sign CB Chris Harris

I like this thought process, although not sure I see the urgency to spend a lot on another TE if Dislley comes back sound, in addition to Hollister and WIllson. Britt is close to being a must have. I would wait until after the draft to get overly excited about much of anything w/ FA other than getting Clowney wrapped up with a deal that is good for both sides. I can easily see having to make some changes in order to stay within cap.

Re interest from others for Clowney, I think he's going to be picky about any potential landing spot, just as he was with relocating from Houston. $ are one thing, but goals may be another that is equally important. I like our chances to make this happen.

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
I think I'd prioritize Byron Jones too.

sutz

Reaction score
Personally, I consider Britt a near must-sign. We should hopefully get some salary relief given his recent injury. Hunt is not as small as some people like to say (IIRC he's 6-0 and 295 or so) but he played like the first year starter he was. He was playing hurt the last few games, so I.m willing to cut him some slack, but I'd prefer a more known quantity at the keystone position on the line.

On the initial point of the OP, would Clowney really cost $40 mill on this year's cap? It seems to me we could soften that blow considerably with some creative accounting.

2_0_6

Reaction score
As much as I love Uncle Will, you cant count on someone with two straight years with early season ending injuries.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
2_0_6":2g03crlb said:
As much as I love Uncle Will, you cant count on someone with two straight years with early season ending injuries.

I'm sure signing another mid range veteran TE is in the budget.

I'd put money on Ed Dickson being the first cut of the off season, so that's 4M of cap to go find another TE. I'd also assume we'd use another mid or late round pick on a TE.

This offense needs three TE's on the roster.

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
sutz":rhroa46o said:
Personally, I consider Britt a near must-sign. We should hopefully get some salary relief given his recent injury. Hunt is not as small as some people like to say (IIRC he's 6-0 and 295 or so) but he played like the first year starter he was. He was playing hurt the last few games, so I.m willing to cut him some slack, but I'd prefer a more known quantity at the keystone position on the line.

On the initial point of the OP, would Clowney really cost $40 mill on this year's cap? It seems to me we could soften that blow considerably with some creative accounting.
I meant Clowney/Reed. Yeah, that's fair, you could probably lower their number a bit this year. 30 maybe?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":hjkv1scy said:

Excellent point on the center position. Yeah, I don’t want Hunt starting.
Unfortunately I think Britt and what you will have to pay him is the best option right now.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Tical21":1re9joz6 said:
Do you spend 40 of that on Clowney/Reed?

We can do some things like cutting Dickson and Britt, and that will save you about an additional what, 15? But does that leave Joey Hunt?

Our current defensive linemen group coming back consists of: Naz Jones, LJ Collier, Poona Ford, Rasheem Green and Demarcus Christmas.

I keep hearing around here that we have all this cap space to go shopping. I guess we kind of do, but we have are starting with a totally empty cupboard, and cap space is definitely going to be a major issue.
I don’t think Reed is retained.

Seattle didn’t exactly stop the run well and Reed even with missing 6 games, I can’t see Seattle wanting to keep him.

Seattle will sign Clowney and go after Yannick Ngakoue.