Seahawks QB Russell Wilson named MVP by Pro Football Focus

sutz

Reaction score
Statistically, I think that's right. Not many other teams where one player made such a significant impact on the team's success. Always arguable, of course, because that's how it works.

SlickRick

Reaction score
sutz":2efxhvqf said:
Statistically, I think that's right. Not many other teams where one player made such a significant impact on the team's success. Always arguable, of course, because that's how it works.

Spot on, cosign.

OP
OP
John63

John63

Reaction score
Appyhawk":jhdj8rym said:
Very nice of these folks to recognize Wilson for the award, and Russ IS as deserving as anyone could be. But awards like this are kind of like getting a pewter mockup of the gold a silver prize the NFL dishes out. Right?

Not really, they actually matter adn will ge tliste dunder their awrds in their NFL profiles

OP
OP
John63

John63

Reaction score
interesting line form article

"
“While Jackson had an entire offense built around his strengths and had a coaching staff that embraced analytics to extend drives and steal fine winning margins, Wilson was dealing with a situation that consistently put him behind the eight ball then asked him to dig the team out of a hole,” PFF writer Sam Monson wrote. “The fact that he was able to do just that as consistently as he did only stands testament to his MVP-caliber season.”

Sure seems like one could infer that the guy is claiming the Hawks offense isn't built around RW's strengths. Another implication sort of centers on what many of us have complained about for a long time regrading PC's offensive philosophy: Very little risk/innovation in the first half of games which leads to the need for a furious 4th quarter comeback..."

Interestingly the over all sentiment is shared by all the experts.

xray

Reaction score
Of course...MVP for the team is what it is...he's been a 1 man band for 4th quarter comebacks for years .

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Although Wilson is no doubt our mvp I think Derrick Henry was a one man show on his team. Hopefully in the offseason Pete and John get it figured out what pieces and coaching adjustments to build around Wilson.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Cyrus12":gj7be1oz said:
Although Wilson is no doubt our mvp I think Derrick Henry was a one man show on his team. Hopefully in the offseason Pete and John get it figured out what pieces and coaching adjustments to build around Wilson.
They are adding nice pieces(Metcalf, Lockett, Dissly etc)-I really hope they also add more OLine depth too. The adjustments they need to work on.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
John63":2qt1vg3w said:
interesting line form article

"
“While Jackson had an entire offense built around his strengths and had a coaching staff that embraced analytics to extend drives and steal fine winning margins, Wilson was dealing with a situation that consistently put him behind the eight ball then asked him to dig the team out of a hole,” PFF writer Sam Monson wrote. “The fact that he was able to do just that as consistently as he did only stands testament to his MVP-caliber season.”

Sure seems like one could infer that the guy is claiming the Hawks offense isn't built around RW's strengths. Another implication sort of centers on what many of us have complained about for a long time regrading PC's offensive philosophy: Very little risk/innovation in the first half of games which leads to the need for a furious 4th quarter comeback..."

Interestingly the over all sentiment is shared by all the experts.

Jackson's offense is geared around him as a runner and passer, and putting his career at risk from the hits he takes.

PC changed that approach with Wilson years ago. And while many argue the offense doesn't fit RWs skill set, he signed two large extensions and accepts the money to play here, happily.

That large investment in the QB who would be so much better if the coach and GM could just give him on O-line, limits the teams ability to sign better O-line players.

And defensive players, skill players, etc., etc.

For all the nonsense about the staff limiting his potential, they have helped RW become the richest man in football, and he clearly appreciates that as he collects those checks. And here he is getting MVP credentials now, too.

RWs actions are pretty loud here. Rest is just noise from armchair coaches. They can all get better. But RW needs to do his part too

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Russell Wilson has made Russell Wilson the richest man in football. He’s overcome adversity, never missed a game, and makes plays no matter what injuries or chaos happens around him. Players won’t leave a team if they can get the stability. Teams can also franchise tag a player...twice. Great Quarterbacks aren’t going anywhere on most teams, no matter how flawed.

I sincerely hope we build a team specifically for Russell Wilson. Pete still builds this team like its 2013 and that the passing game is a liability to the run game and defense. He wants a physical football running team, even though it leads to injuries.

I want us to get faster. Draft a true number 3. A Mecole Hardman type that can take the top off a defense. Invest in the O-line. Pete can maximize young defensive talent.

An offense that can protect, with a QB that can beat the blitz, scramble, and drop deep bombs would be extremely dangerous. We have the potential, I just hope Pete pulls the trigger. Prioritize building around Wilson, the way an offensive coach like Reid and Payton have done for Mahomes, Brees.

Ozzy

Reaction score
The further away you get from Seahawks land the more prevailing the thought that Seattle doesn't maximize it's situation with Wilson. That's interesting.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Scorpion05":8zxwocq6 said:
Russell Wilson has made Russell Wilson the richest man in football. He’s overcome adversity, never missed a game, and makes plays no matter what injuries or chaos happens around him. Players won’t leave a team if they can get the stability. Teams can also franchise tag a player...twice. Great Quarterbacks aren’t going anywhere on most teams, no matter how flawed.

I sincerely hope we build a team specifically for Russell Wilson. Pete still builds this team like its 2013 and that the passing game is a liability to the run game and defense. He wants a physical football running team, even though it leads to injuries.

I want us to get faster. Draft a true number 3. A Mecole Hardman type that can take the top off a defense. Invest in the O-line. Pete can maximize young defensive talent.

An offense that can protect, with a QB that can beat the blitz, scramble, and drop deep bombs would be extremely dangerous. We have the potential, I just hope Pete pulls the trigger. Prioritize building around Wilson, the way an offensive coach like Reid and Payton have done for Mahomes, Brees.
^^^-----------> THIS !! <------^^^--------^^^
All the injuries to Wilson's supporting cast this season should have been all Pete needed to see for him to pull the trigger on shoring up for his MVP.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Scorpion05":1ro9di7q said:

Brees success is no different than Wilson's. They built their winning teams around him, While Seattle had more balance8.

Mahomes is on a rookie contract. Pretty easy to build around him.

This is the flawed logic of this discussion. You can't build a team around one player without it leaving other areas short. PC has done better than most in trying to create balance.

I guess what I'm inferring here is how the FO handles the draft and free agency. Thus is a huge off season

jammerhawk

Reaction score
There a some here who want to turn this news into a negative.

He's certainly not a MVP b/c he's the only show in town. He is however the engine of our O and has been special in manufacturing team lead late game recoveries. Wilson is a remarkable talent. There is to me little doubt he was most valuable player to the Seahawks and comparatively more so than the others who were close.

This is a deserved honour.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Uncle Si":23r758ac said:
Scorpion05":23r758ac said:

Brees success is no different than Wilson's. They built their winning teams around him, While Seattle had more balance8.

Mahomes is on a rookie contract. Pretty easy to build around him.

This is the flawed logic of this discussion. You can't build a team around one player without it leaving other areas short. PC has done better than most in trying to create balance.

I guess what I'm inferring here is how the FO handles the draft and free agency. Thus is a huge off season

You may be right or Wilson is a generational talent that covers up some of Pete's failures. I don't think there is an easy answer and it's fluid but I lean towards Wilson covering up for a failure to put together a decent line. That is the biggest failure of Pete's efforts which is odd because the style he wants to run works best with a good line. Running and deep vertical passing off of that work best with a good line and yet they've failed. Wilson with his ability to play of script and move has masked this. I'm not saying Pete has done a terrible job he's done really well in most areas, it's just odd he failed in what was probably the most crucial for system.

This is a huge off season though and I think they make some big splash plays because Pete knows he only has a couple years left. He's going to go all in

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Wilson's MVP worthiness was never in question. He was carrying more deadweight on his back than Lamar Jackson ever was.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The other two have OLines that can protect them as well.

knewch

Reaction score
12 Ravens selected to the Pro Bowl and 2 Seahawks. Lamar Jackson is a special talent but who wouldn’t shine with 11 other Pro Bowlers on the team?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Pete is a defensive-minded coach.

Wilson is a tremendous offensive asset, capable of being one of the best offensive players in the league. That he won the MVP while only producing for 4 quarters in close to half his games is a testament to his greatness.

We will never get the full value of Wilson while under Pete, because Pete's predilections are towards the defense.

It is what we have. We can be thankful we have a great QB that can even produce under these conditions, much less put up MVP numbers.

The bigger challenge is that paying as much as we must for one of the best QBs in the game, we have no choice but to lose the ability to pay for a good defense. Pete probably isn't aware his defense sucks. Or maybe he does but just is committed to fixing it. (He won't because you cannot pay to cover up all the holes in it.)

It has worked for so many years for Pete it is hard to argue for change. Yet we have a QB that tilts the field when we finally unleash him.

Where that leaves us is we are still going to have our HC coaching like his defense isn't a laughingstock, only to turn to his QB at the end of the game or sometimes when we start getting far enough behind we have no choice. Part of me wonders if Pete feels he has to do this because his OL cannot handle the pressure of pass protecting for 4 quarters. But it likely is just the reality that a defensive-minded coach will go with what he knows and is comfortable with, piling points up on the other team is not really part of the plan for him. Pete seems to believe you win by focusing on limiting scoring, not by focusing on scoring more.

This translates into less scoring opportunities for our offense.

To get an MVP in those kinds of conditions is actually amazing. But Wilson does it. That is pretty incredible by itself.