Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I wonder... a comment in QB / Coach arenas.

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • after reading Pro Football Focus's MVP award to Russell Wilson, I find myself picturing Russ and Pete in different arenas.

Don't get me wrong, Pete is a gem, both as coach and as motivator and a defensive wiz, but what might have been if Russ was riding a horse saddled by an Offensive Genius. Both are top ten in their respective slots, but they're sadly in different arenas.

In the playoffs, Russ was a bit more Dangeruss when given free reign.
    Rocket
    * .NET Attention Whore *

• Rocket wrote:after reading Pro Football Focus's MVP award to Russell Wilson, I find myself picturing Russ and Pete in different arenas.

Don't get me wrong, Pete is a gem, both as coach and as motivator and a defensive wiz, but what might have been if Russ was riding a horse saddled by an Offensive Genius. Both are top ten in their respective slots, but they're sadly in different arenas.

In the playoffs, Russ was a bit more Dangeruss when given free reign.

And in there lies the great conundrum, PC is a Defensive guy and he coaches the team defensively, his offense is run to help the defense, and unfortunately more often than not puts the offense behind the 8 ball till the 2nd half we he asks Wilson to save him. No other coach does this. Some will say so its working we are a winning team and have an SB. I say we are doing it despite the system not because of it and how much more could we win if we ran the right systems for both sides. We could be 3Sb wins or more. Early on it was not as bad as he had the top 3 defense and run game to run his system, now he does not, but he wants to keep trying anyway all while wasting qtrs at a time, and asking Wilson to bring it home.

I would like to see PC give up any involvement in the offense and either getting an innovative OC or Seeing what Wilson and Shcotty and come up with without PC mantra. That said I am pretty sure we have already seen it, see almost every 2nd half of almost every game.
    John63
    NET Veteran

• I'm wondering whether the first half slowness isn't on just JC but RW.

RW is the highest paid vet in the league, he's turning 32, and I can't believe at this point that he can't sit down with JC in private and have a conversation about trends that would be taken seriously.

It's far more likely that both of them want to do this as it's been proven (within the regular season) to lead to more points in the second half based on what they did in the first.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

• Belichick is a defensive guru, Brady is the GOAT QB.. They can co-exist.

The primary difference between the PATS and HAWKS? The Patriots game plan to attack the enemies' weakness and neutralize their greatest strengths. If they are soft, the Pats will be physical. If they have weak pass rush and secondary, they'll throw it 50 times. If they have Strong rush, they'll use screens, run, and short passing game..

What does Pete do? Regardless of the other team, he will run the ball and try to establish play action. That's it.
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

• Different name same topic
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

• SantaClaraHawk wrote:I'm wondering whether the first half slowness isn't on just JC but RW.

RW is the highest paid vet in the league, he's turning 32, and I can't believe at this point that he can't sit down with JC in private and have a conversation about trends that would be taken seriously.

It's far more likely that both of them want to do this as it's been proven (within the regular season) to lead to more points in the second half based on what they did in the first.

We have gone down this already, its PC he has said.
    John63
    NET Veteran

• John63 wrote:We have gone down this already, its PC he has said.

Am aware. I'm just saying their economic motives align.

No one fires anyone who's taken them to seven of eight playoff seasons, with the one they missed still being technically a winning season. Martin Lewis would still be w/the Bengals had he done that. Tannehill (and Gase) would still be with the Dolphins if they'd managed to do that.

I'm not saying RW is a Tannehill, just that the optics are the same. Two years of no playoffs with a franchise QB has often gotten the HC fired and sometimes the QB.

They have a formula that rewards both of them financially until the year it doesn't. At which point they'll both go.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

• I think some of the issue is with Wilson also, he very rarely trusts himself with the risky passes early on in games. Now I think this is part of the ball security mantra that the seahawks preach but I also think Wilson only want to ball out when he needs to. In a sense you could argue Wilson and PC are aligned.
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• UK_Seahawk wrote:I think some of the issue is with Wilson also, he very rarely trusts himself with the risky passes early on in games. Now I think this is part of the ball security mantra that the seahawks preach but I also think Wilson only want to ball out when he needs to. In a sense you could argue Wilson and PC are aligned.

How dare you not blame the whole situation on Pete.

getnasty wrote:Different name same topic

ad naseum
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• UK_Seahawk wrote:I think some of the issue is with Wilson also, he very rarely trusts himself with the risky passes early on in games. Now I think this is part of the ball security mantra that the seahawks preach but I also think Wilson only want to ball out when he needs to. In a sense you could argue Wilson and PC are aligned.

If he was that way in college i would by it but he was jot. Also in the rare occasions they started the game with tempo changing system he was not that way. So not buying it at all. This is all PC and he has admitted to it.
    Last edited by John63 on Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    John63
    NET Veteran

• The offense helps the D by resting it longer if it's working
    The problem is certain play calls which results in low scoring
    first halfs and the D isn't being rested with 3 and outs.
    Yes PC wants his way but finally RW is pressing for changes
    and that is a good thing..It doesn't mean a lot has to change
    but rather tweaks to fix what isn't working..A lot has to do
    with those putrid first halfs which the whole board can agree
    with.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• Carroll is the best coach in the history of the Seahawks...however ; Carroll has never figured out how to utilize Wilson .
    That is a major fail on Carroll's part . A potential dynasty lost . IMO
    xray
    NET Veteran

• If you've followed Pete throughout the years, you know that he believes that having a coaching philosophy is what will sustain you through the hard times. In his case, his philosophy is to run the ball, and play defense.

The most successful coaches have been ones willing to adapt.. It's an ever changing league but Pete would say that if you adapt you can get lost easily and before long you don't know where you are. So, yeah Pete isn't changing anytime soon.

Under Pete's system you might as well trade Russ for 3 1sts, draft a rookie, sign the best d and o lines, and run the ball and rush the passer.

Coaches like A.Reid, McVay or Pederson would be licking their chops to get their hands on Russ and plan their RPO around his skill set, not pete.
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

• IndyHawk wrote:The offense helps the D by resting it longer if it's working
    The problem is certain play calls which results in low scoring
    first halfs and the D isn't being rested with 3 and outs.
    Yes PC wants his way but finally RW is pressing for changes
    and that is a good thing..It doesn't mean a lot has to change
    but rather tweaks to fix what isn't working..A lot has to do
    with those putrid first halfs which the whole board can agree
    with.

The offense that works best has a better TOP than the SOSO.
    John63
    NET Veteran

• xray wrote:Carroll is the best coach in the history of the Seahawks...however ; Carroll has never figured out how to utilize Wilson .
    That is a major fail on Carroll's part . A potential dynasty lost . IMO

I would say Carroll is the best coach in Hawk history because, first and foremost, RW is the best QB in team history. This is not a chicken or the egg kind of thing. To quote Gus Grissom in The Right Stuff, "no bucks; no Buck Rogers. If I am confusing anyone, RW is the bucks.

And as a BTW, it was JS who saw the talent in Wilson and had to convince PC of the possibilities.

IMO, Carroll is receiving more credit than he is due. Just about any coach could come in and be .500 with RW as the starter. There are a good number that would be doing as well or better than what we currently have. Without a top 3 QB, this team wins maybe 5 games this past year.
    HawkerD
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• PC just needs to hire a couple of good "undercover" videotape guys to attend all of the other teams practices, he'd be on Bellicheats' level then, (the biggest convicted NFL cheater of all time). You have to keep them damn balls at just the right temperature also, so just take the bag of balls into a restroom and swap them out before the game. It's so easy to be a great coach when you CHEAT at every opportunity, not to mention being in a historically weak division. Bellicheat, once a cheat, always a cheat, in his interviews: Umm, ugh, umm, na, mop, da, dah, dum, damn, (so, communication isn't his best quality either).
    :smilingalien:
    CamanoIslandJQ
    NET Veteran

• Would Russell have had this much success and be on his way to the HOF if he was drafted by the Jets or Cleveland, or any other organization that'd hyper-dysfunctional and ruins QB's?

So if you're going to continue to just make up thread after thread of "hey Pete's holding Russell back," then you better also give Pete credit for creating an amazing environment for Russell to excel and thrive in.

Because you can talk all day long about scheme and X's and O's, but if you're not including all the organizational and structural qualities Pete has built here, of which Russell's benefited greatly from?

Then you're being dishonest with this conversation.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sgt. Largent wrote:Would Russell have had this much success and be on his way to the HOF if he was drafted by the Jets or Cleveland, or any other organization that'd hyper-dysfunctional and ruins QB's?

So if you're going to continue to just make up thread after thread of "hey Pete's holding Russell back," then you better also give Pete credit for creating an amazing environment for Russell to excel and thrive in.

Because you can talk all day long about scheme and X's and O's, but if you're not including all the organizational and structural qualities Pete has built here, of which Russell's benefited greatly from?

Our best offensive playe ris our QB yet the team is built around the run, enough said.
    John63
    NET Veteran

• John63 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Would Russell have had this much success and be on his way to the HOF if he was drafted by the Jets or Cleveland, or any other organization that'd hyper-dysfunctional and ruins QB's?

Our best offensive playe ris our QB yet the team is built around the run, enough said.

I wonder why. Pete never had problems building his college programs around his quarterback.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• Tical21 wrote:
    John63 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Would Russell have had this much success and be on his way to the HOF if he was drafted by the Jets or Cleveland, or any other organization that'd hyper-dysfunctional and ruins QB's?

I wonder why. Pete never had problems building his college programs around his quarterback.

Really, So the part were PC constantly says and did form day one before Wilson he wants to run the ball, control the clock, and pass long. He wants to keep it close and win in the end. He said that day 1 2 years before Wilson. Nice try though

Oh and lets see, 2009 his last year they ran for 167 yards per game and only through for 223 that is building around your QB with an avg of 38 runs and 29 passes?? 2007 197 run per game, 237 pass, that is building around your QB oh and 40 run attempts per game, and only 35 pass. Once again you are WRONG.
    John63
    NET Veteran

• John63 wrote:

Lol. Russell is perennially top 5 in every QB category that matters, has an insane TD to interception ratio and was the MVP front runner for over half the season.....but our offense is built around the run?

I mean, if you guys are gonna continue to b broken records, at least come strong with some facts, and not just the same old tired false narratives.

Btw, Russell averaged 31 pass attempts per game. You wanna know what the poster boy for high flying offense that everyone here keeps pointing to as "hey we need to be more like that! Patrick Mahomes" averaged?

Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    John63 wrote:

Lol. Russell is perennially top 5 in every QB category that matters, has an insane TD to interception ratio and was the MVP front runner for over half the season.....but our offense is built around the run?

I mean, if you guys are gonna continue to b broken records, at least come strong with some facts, and not just the same old tired false narratives.

Btw, Russell averaged 31 pass attempts per game. You wanna know what the poster boy for high flying offense that everyone here keeps pointing to as "hey we need to be more like that! Patrick Mahomes" averaged?

You're taking to the wrong person, PC the Head Coach has said we are a run first team, we run, eat clock and throw long. That is not a system built around your QB, He has also said when he looks for o lineman he looks for run blockers. That is not a system built around your QB. Pretty much every expert says the same thing.

""You know, I don't mind being different at all," Carroll said. "I didn't mind it when we were in college either. We weren't spreading out and doing all the stuff that other people were doing. We were running a run heavy attack back in the day and ran for a lot of yards with a lot of big time running backs. " Notice no mention of pass or QB just RB and run.
    John63
    NET Veteran

• Haha @John63
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• lukerguy wrote:Belichick is a defensive guru, Brady is the GOAT QB.. They can co-exist.

The primary difference between the PATS and HAWKS? The Patriots game plan to attack the enemies' weakness and neutralize their greatest strengths. If they are soft, the Pats will be physical. If they have weak pass rush and secondary, they'll throw it 50 times. If they have Strong rush, they'll use screens, run, and short passing game..

What does Pete do? Regardless of the other team, he will run the ball and try to establish play action. That's it.

Yeah, Belechick is better at that.

But every year the Patriots didn't have a really good to great defense, they got bounced out of the playoffs. And they were in another three Super Bowls they lost.

The Patriots have had to go on the road five whole times in the Belechick/Brady era. And they lost four of those games. Had they had to play in a division that doesn't consistently put up a bunch of bad teams year in and year out, they're probably getting lower seeding and getting bounced out of even more playoff games because they have to go on the road. And this year they sure seemed to not be able to gameplan and adjust for much given their talent gap on offense.

The Seahawks were way better this year on first half offense. They had marked improvement last year too. It was pretty brutal through long stretches the two previous years, but I don't think a lot of people's perceptions match up well with reality.

And if they go full Andy Reid, they still get dumped from the playoffs like the Chiefs had previous to this year. Because this defense sucks like the Chiefs' did before this year. That's the real gap on this team. You can let Russell Wilson run around and sling the ball with reckless abandon, but if you have no real capacity to actually stop the other team from scoring, it doesn't matter. The probability that you're just going to outscore every team enough consistently to win a Super Bowl is really low.
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran

• John63 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    John63 wrote:

You're taking to the wrong person, PC the Head Coach has said we are a run first team, we run, eat clock and throw long. That is not a system built around your QB, He has also said when he looks for o lineman he looks for run blockers. That is not a system built around your QB. Pretty much every expert says the same thing.

""You know, I don't mind being different at all," Carroll said. "I didn't mind it when we were in college either. We weren't spreading out and doing all the stuff that other people were doing. We were running a run heavy attack back in the day and ran for a lot of yards with a lot of big time running backs. " Notice no mention of pass or QB just RB and run.

Why does it matter how you scheme your offense, as long as the results are good?

I'm not a Pete apologist, I would like to see him do things like go up tempo more to get Russell into rhythm and tempo quicker, which he excels at.

But I also understand they philosophy of limiting your opponents possessions and pounding their defense into submission to win in 2nd halves of games...........of which we are very good at.

So this prevalent narrative that pops up after every loss and off season that Pete misuses Russell, or isn't getting the most out of him is I'd say 75% false. IMO Pete knows Russell's strengths, and that's creating and making explosive plays downfield.

And it's CERTAINLY isn't why we haven't gone back to a SB in six years. That's squarely on the defensive side of the ball. So why all the threads on Russell? He's the reason we went 11-5 and not 6-9.

Until Pete and John can build another dominant defense, we aren't going back to the SB.

8 times, that's how many times Garropolo threw the ball in the NFC Championship game. Eight times. But let's keep beating this dead horse of it's all Pete's fault for not using Russell correctly.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sgt. Largent wrote:Why does it matter how you scheme your offense, as long as the results are good?

I'm not a Pete apologist, I would like to see him do things like go up tempo more to get Russell into rhythm and tempo quicker, which he excels at.

But I also understand they philosophy of limiting your opponents possessions and pounding their defense into submission to win in 2nd halves of games...........of which we are very good at.

So this prevalent narrative that pops up after every loss and off season that Pete misuses Russell, or isn't getting the most out of him is I'd say 75% false. IMO Pete knows Russell's strengths, and that's creating and making explosive plays downfield.

And it's CERTAINLY isn't why we haven't gone back to a SB in six years. That's squarely on the defensive side of the ball. So why all the threads on Russell? He's the reason we went 11-5 and not 6-9.

Until Pete and John can build another dominant defense, we aren't going back to the SB.

8 times, that's how many times Garropolo threw the ball in the NFC Championship game. Eight times. But let's keep beating this dead horse of it's all Pete's fault for not using Russell correctly.

I call it the Fanstasy Football effect. People get lost in individual stats and don't think about how those individual stats actually convert into wins for the team. Real coaches can't do that. :229031_shrug:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• sutz wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Why does it matter how you scheme your offense, as long as the results are good?

I call it the Fanstasy Football effect. People get lost in individual stats and don't think about how those individual stats actually convert into wins for the team. Real coaches can't do that. :229031_shrug:

I actually blame the league for doing everything in their power to promote this as a passing league and that running the ball does not matter. They saw what happened with the viewership in MLB, the NBA and NHL when their leagues increased scoring and the NFL wanted to get an even higher viewership. So, you cater to more scoring with your rules and you get more casual fans in front of the tv, which leads to more advertising dollars. The people who sit their and bemoan about scoring and uptempo offense are those casuals who sometimes stick around.
    BASF
    NET Veteran

• BASF wrote:
    I actually blame the league for doing everything in their power to promote this as a passing league and that running the ball does not matter. They saw what happened with the viewership in MLB, the NBA and NHL when their leagues increased scoring and the NFL wanted to get an even higher viewership. So, you cater to more scoring with your rules and you get more casual fans in front of the tv, which leads to more advertising dollars. The people who sit their and bemoan about scoring and uptempo offense are those casuals who sometimes stick around.

Rushing doesn't matter? Do you even watch the NFL? Eight of the top 10 rushing teams made the playoffs, and do so just about every year.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/v ... e/dir/desc

Good lord, where do you guys get this horrible takes. It's football, it ALL matters.........it's about balance, because balance is hard to defend, and it's hard to attack.

Top 10 passing offenses? They all stink except for KC and NE.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/v ... asontype/2

Rushing matters, a LOT. So does passing, so does defense, so does special teams, so does coaching, so does scheme, it all matters.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    BASF wrote:

Rushing doesn't matter? Do you even watch the NFL? Eight of the top 10 rushing teams made the playoffs, and do so just about every year.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/v ... e/dir/desc

Good lord, where do you guys get this horrible takes. It's football, it ALL matters.........it's about balance, because balance is hard to defend, and it's hard to attack.

Top 10 passing offenses? They all stink except for KC and NE.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/v ... asontype/2

Rushing matters, a LOT. So does passing, so does defense, so does special teams, so does coaching, so does scheme, it all matters.

You are taking me too literally SL. Rushing doesn't really matter to the higher ups in the league office that are promoting the NFL as a passing league and shaping the rules to make it more passer friendly to increase viewership.
    BASF
    NET Veteran

• bmorepunk wrote:
    lukerguy wrote:Belichick is a defensive guru, Brady is the GOAT QB.. They can co-exist.

Yeah, Belechick is better at that.

But every year the Patriots didn't have a really good to great defense, they got bounced out of the playoffs. And they were in another three Super Bowls they lost.

The Patriots have had to go on the road five whole times in the Belechick/Brady era. And they lost four of those games. Had they had to play in a division that doesn't consistently put up a bunch of bad teams year in and year out, they're probably getting lower seeding and getting bounced out of even more playoff games because they have to go on the road. And this year they sure seemed to not be able to gameplan and adjust for much given their talent gap on offense.

The Seahawks were way better this year on first half offense. They had marked improvement last year too. It was pretty brutal through long stretches the two previous years, but I don't think a lot of people's perceptions match up well with reality.

And if they go full Andy Reid, they still get dumped from the playoffs like the Chiefs had previous to this year. Because this defense sucks like the Chiefs' did before this year. That's the real gap on this team. You can let Russell Wilson run around and sling the ball with reckless abandon, but if you have no real capacity to actually stop the other team from scoring, it doesn't matter. The probability that you're just going to outscore every team enough consistently to win a Super Bowl is really low.

You sir have summed up what's facing the Hawks to a T.
    Pete deserves criticism for the regression of the D no doubt.

Sgt. Largent wrote:Why does it matter how you scheme your offense, as long as the results are good?

And this
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• RW is still in the running for MVP. Even with losing all of those players to injury, trades and retirements, Pete has remained and been the rock...I'm so blessed to have him as the coach of my team and so is RW and every other Hawk player on this roster.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Largent80 wrote:RW is still in the running for MVP. Even with losing all of those players to injury, trades and retirements, Pete has remained and been the rock...I'm so blessed to have him as the coach of my team and so is RW and every other Hawk player on this roster.

In the running for MVP and top five in most categories is not good enough for the group of posters here. "If you're not first, you're last" is their motto.
    BASF
    NET Veteran

• BASF wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:RW is still in the running for MVP. Even with losing all of those players to injury, trades and retirements, Pete has remained and been the rock...I'm so blessed to have him as the coach of my team and so is RW and every other Hawk player on this roster.

In the running for MVP and top five in most categories is not good enough for the group of posters here. "If you're not first, you're last" is their motto.

no the goal is the SB we have not been close since 2014, most here think we can be with some tweaks.
    John63
    NET Veteran

• What the heck is wrong with y'all?

Be civil in THIS forum
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

It is currently Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:52 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information