Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ifedi to get top dollar?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Ifedi to get top dollar?
Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:48 pm
  • https://www.yahoo.com/sports/geoff-schw ... 30915.html

More power to him, and I can certainly see him getting more money than Seattle is willing to pay. But the article even says he was rated 53rd out of 60. If he gets anything close to top dollar, it shows there is a flaw in the free agency system.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Re: Ifedi to get top dollar?
Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:51 pm
  • Article says $12mil per for Ifedi? :shock:

Would that take us into 3rd round comp pick territory?
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:59 pm
  • Rumor has it we are in negotiations with him.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:00 pm
  • This is why the game has fallen..Paying high $ for garbage.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:12 pm
  • 12M per year seems insane to me, that'd put Ifedi at #3 for RT's.

https://overthecap.com/position/right-tackle/'

Where he is now is where he belongs (in the 20's), I'd never give him more than 6-7M per year. I have no idea what team would watch tape of Ifedi and think he's their answer at RT for the next 4-5 years.

He's a hard worker, above average run blocker, and no locker room or personal issues. But he's a liability in pass pro, and has at least 3-4 brain farts a game.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:32 pm
  • Ifedi's PFF rankings don't make any sense when you dig into them.

He's technically an above average pass blocker when you remove pass blocking efficiency which tends to punish lineman who play with mobile QBs.

His run blocking grades are below average according to PFF, yet Seattle averages their highest YPC (5.7) behind Ifedi and the next closest is Fluker (4.3). This isn't a sample size issue either. They ran towards Ifedi the 2nd most times of anyone on the team.

I wouldn't feel great about paying Ifedi $12M. I do think he's worth keeping around if they can keep his number under $8M.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:39 pm
  • Offensive tackles get a good amount of money. Ifedi isn’t great but he’s better than a lot of right tackles, young and the cap is only going up. He’s going to get a good contract.
    hburn21
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:49 pm
  • A buck 50....Get outta here Confetti.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:00 pm
  • hburn21 wrote:Offensive tackles get a good amount of money. Ifedi isn’t great but he’s better than a lot of right tackles, young and the cap is only going up. He’s going to get a good contract.

He's not better than a lot of RT's, he's worse.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:05 pm
  • Draft an early-round rookie RT, he will be just as good for a lot less.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:19 pm
  • Just read this....from the article...He STINKS....Pro Football Focus ranked Ifedi 53rd out of 60 tackles who played at least 50% of their team's snaps in 2019. PFF gave Ifedi an overall grade of 56.2, a pass blocking grade of 60.3 and a run blocking grade of 55.6. He was also penalized 13 times, tied for fifth-most among tackles.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:35 pm
  • Ifedi's advantage is that there is a dearth of Offensive Linemen in the NFL. Add to that, the Spread system's popularity in the College game, legit prospects are few and far between. So an average OLineman is going to be paid more than his positional value.
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:41 pm
  • ivotuk wrote:Ifedi's advantage is that there is a dearth of Offensive Linemen in the NFL. Add to that, the Spread system's popularity in the College game, legit prospects are few and far between. So an average OLineman is going to be paid more than his positional value.

And the typical rookie takes a year or more to get up to speed.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:14 pm
  • He should get close but not top. He was better this year than last . He didn't suck as much. He seems to be healthy to play most weeks ; and this year was all about injuries and conditioning ...something is off in that dept. IMO
    xray
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:27 pm
  • We previously declined a 5th year option on Ifedi which would have paid him $10.3 million for 2020. That sets the ceiling on his price tag here and if somebody is offering more then we'll take the comp pick instead.

In his four seasons with the team Ifedi has started 65 games; more than 16 per year due to playoff games. His availability has been outstanding and that's a valuable trait in the NFL.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:34 pm
  • I don't know how anyone could reliably handicap a number for Ifedi.

I am guessing he could realize a bigger contract in a different offense.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:38 pm
  • I think the team could do better at the position than with Ifedi, otherwise known as the drive killer.

I did think he improved this season towards the end of the season but he still takes a lot of bad penalties at critical times and has earned his otherwise known as moniker.

Fant would be cheaper if anyone was stupid enough to overpay Ifedi and I suspect would ultimately do a better job.

Ifedi's not worth a big contract and any deal he'd make with the team would like be very short term for a lot less than the 5th year option numbers.

If he gets a big offer in FA I wish him luck wherever else he's going to play.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Ifedi to get top dollar?
Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:44 pm
  • Tical21 wrote:Rumor has it we are in negotiations with him.

https://youtu.be/31g0YE61PLQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by James in PA on Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    James in PA
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:51 pm
  • "Fant would be cheaper if anyone was stupid enough to overpay Ifedi and I suspect would ultimately do a better job."

I believe that. In addition to that if we get a good rookie project that proves out Fant can do a lot of different things, while waiting for Brown to decide he's had enough. Wouldn't surprise me if he couldn't make a fine blocking fullback. Fridge did it...
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.

Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:49 pm
  • If Ifedi can get 12 mill per year...god bless him..I'll drive him to the airport .
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:57 am
  • Appyhawk wrote:"Fant would be cheaper if anyone was stupid enough to overpay Ifedi and I suspect would ultimately do a better job."

I believe that. In addition to that if we get a good rookie project that proves out Fant can do a lot of different things, while waiting for Brown to decide he's had enough. Wouldn't surprise me if he couldn't make a fine blocking fullback. Fridge did it...

Fant is more of a left tackle than he is a RT. Although he can hold his own in pass blocking, he's not nearly the run blocker as Ifedi is, a fatal flaw when you're a run first team like we are. Besides, Fant is a free agent, too.

Although he still draws a lot of flags, Ifedi didn't commit nearly as many penalties as he has in past years, and he's durable, starting in all 18 games this season. I don't mind moving away from him if he has a contract offer that we're not willing to meet, but we need to have a plan to replace him as we don't currently have a player on the roster that can give us the type of production Ifedi has.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:38 am
  • Cyrus12 wrote:If Ifedi can get 12 mill per year...god bless him..I'll drive him to the airport .

Be careful - with him in the car, you'll jump the gun on at least a couple of red lights.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:14 am
  • GeekHawk wrote:
    Cyrus12 wrote:If Ifedi can get 12 mill per year...god bless him..I'll drive him to the airport .

Be careful - with him in the car, you'll jump the gun on at least a couple of red lights.

:lol: :lol: Nice shot!
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:38 am
  • GeekHawk wrote:
    Cyrus12 wrote:If Ifedi can get 12 mill per year...god bless him..I'll drive him to the airport .

:irishdrinkers: :2thumbs: :snack:
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:23 pm
  • Paying him? How are we not flat out releasing the guy? He's awful. He's one of the worst RT's in the league.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:03 pm
  • HawkGA wrote:https://www.yahoo.com/sports/geoff-schwartz-someone-going-pay-182330915.html

More power to him, and I can certainly see him getting more money than Seattle is willing to pay. But the article even says he was rated 53rd out of 60. If he gets anything close to top dollar, it shows there is a flaw in the free agency system.

That worthless penalty magnet should have been traded long ago. He's a total bust, time to send him packing to get numerous penalties each game for another team.
    mcbobly
    NET Veteran

Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:44 pm
  • GeekHawk wrote:

:2thumbs:
    kf3339
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter

Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:20 pm
  • knownone wrote:Ifedi's PFF rankings don't make any sense when you dig into them.

He's technically an above average pass blocker when you remove pass blocking efficiency which tends to punish lineman who play with mobile QBs.

His run blocking grades are below average according to PFF, yet Seattle averages their highest YPC (5.7) behind Ifedi and the next closest is Fluker (4.3). This isn't a sample size issue either. They ran towards Ifedi the 2nd most times of anyone on the team.

I wouldn't feel great about paying Ifedi $12M. I do think he's worth keeping around if they can keep his number under $8M.

Knowing that George Fant often plays as a tight end on Iefedi's side may help disambiguate this for you.

When recording which lineman the RB is running behind, they don't include the tight end. Thus Iefedi's YPC numbers benefit from Fant's run blocking.
    KiwiHawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:01 pm
  • If we resign Ifedi, the offseason will be an epic failure, no matter what else is done. Committing to him long term would be a gigantic waste of cap dollars for a below average player.

I pray that the powers that be realizes that.
    THE TABS
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:07 pm
  • THE TABS wrote:If we resign Ifedi, the offseason will be an epic failure, no matter what else is done. Committing to him long term would be a gigantic waste of cap dollars for a below average player.

I pray that the powers that be realizes that.

I can only hope they have a plan, our injured guys like Simmons and Knox, along with Haynes I hope are ready, we are really thin at Oline that have contracts right now.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:31 pm
  • If someone is offering Ifedi $10M+ per year I would let him walk without any problem. That money can be used so much better than tying it up on him. He is somewhat better than when we drafted him, but not that much better. I honestly would rather use that money on the FA DL options and draft a RT on day two. There will be several very good choices who can step in and do no worse, and probably a lot better than Ifedi.
    kf3339
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter

Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:27 am
  • Looks right to me kf. Ifedi just too slow footed and the draft offers a bunch of viable options.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:01 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    hburn21 wrote:Offensive tackles get a good amount of money. Ifedi isn’t great but he’s better than a lot of right tackles, young and the cap is only going up. He’s going to get a good contract.

He's not better than a lot of RT's, he's worse.

I mean I’m not a fan of his but this is just wrong, he’s a decent level starter that will be over paid based on the lack of talent at offensive line across the league
    hburn21
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:07 pm
  • Try to sign him to a contract with performance incentives, or let him go for the money elsewhere. If he goes for the money, find an adequate run blocker in FA and bring in some young blood via draft. Honestly, the drop off can't be that drastic. Even if replacement A or B can cut dwn on penalties, I see that as a positive.
    SSH
    NET Bench Warmer

It is currently Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:51 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information