John Ursua...again

xray

Reaction score
under used clutch player ...25 year rookie...4th and 10 ..Ursua comes back on a scramble for the sticks vs SF . he made the key play in that game .IMO

OP
OP
X

xray

Reaction score
I feel that Ursua can be utilized in many facets that the Hawks need . He will be huge next season ; just watch .

Seanhawk

Reaction score
How can that be the key play in the game if we didn't score at the end of the drive?

KinesProf

Reaction score
Hopefully there's enough receiving talent brought in behind Lockett and Metcalf that WRs 3-6 feel as if their jobs are on the line.

OP
OP
X

xray

Reaction score
Seanhawk":1aihlbyi said:
How can that be the key play in the game if we didn't score at the end of the drive?
If he doesn't make the play ...game over then...he gave them more chances .

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I think Ursua is facing a make or break year 2020. There are too many other attractive options becoming available in every draft to hang on to a "maybe" guy at that position beyond 2 years.
I still wonder why Ferguson isn't on our roster...

sutz

Reaction score
Ursua is a great prospect who really impressed in pre-season last year, but he mirrors a lot of what Lockett provides and it doesn't make a lot of sense to put two small guys out there when we have DK available.

I doubt he'll get cut this year, but we'll have to see going forward, depending on Lock's contract situation.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Ursua was a late 7th round pick. He was able to earn a roster spot in 2019 but not many snaps to go along with it. He'll have to earn that roster again starting with his off-season work right now. There's no guarantee he makes the 2020 squad and it will depend on whether he can make that sophomore leap that many receivers do after their full first off-season.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Few things:

1. It's a make or break year for him. Really should be for any WR that is 3 through 6 on the depth chart.
2. It's fully expected and reasonable that a late round WR who flashes enough to make the 53, should be largely invisible throughout the year.
3. I'd say that the real battle is with Moore and whomever Seattle adds to the WR room. Ursua needs to make the 2nd year leap. Which is entirely possible.

Turner is an exclusive rights UFA. Moore is an RFA. I'd expect Moore to get an original round tender (7th round) and possibly get signed off the squad. This is a great WR class, and there is room to get upgrades to all three at the back end (Moore, Turner and Ursua). Given that, a lot of teams are going to solve WR issues via the draft so Moore could be safe if exposed.

Jaron Brown was #3. He's a UFA and I don't expect him back. Additionally, Lockett is midway through his 2nd deal. His deal is going to explode in 2020. The way it's structured, it looks like Seattle will have a choice to make in 2021 if they get tight on cap (he'll provide 10m+ relief if released).

Looking at the group, there really is a lot of room to add upgrades here. I'd kind of be shocked if we don't add 2 guys immediately. One slated to compete right away for WR3. One slated to compete for a starting role in 2021.

Ursua, if he makes the leap can already be either. Drafting 2 WRs this class, really hedges the group nicely. We have WR6 spot open. And as many as 3 additional WR spots that can be upgraded/turned over with no cap consequence. Both Turner and Moore could also be retained and fill the bench as they've already done.

Seattle needs a chain mover. This is a good class to acquire one. And our depth is largely seasoned with one year remaining (Moore/Turner) or untested (Ursua). Perfect time to add day 2/3 guys. And in this class those guys will have exceptional value relative to other draft classes.

Jville

Reaction score
A Pete Carroll press conference referred to Ursua as young in his understanding of the more expansive scope of what is expected from a NFL receiver. It's probably why he lasted on into the 7th round in 2019. They picked him as an investment project.

With a full season under his belt in the receiver room and on the practice field, John Ursua should be much better prepared to compete in 2020.

We'll see :biggthumpup:

TreeRon

Reaction score
We'll be targeting big guys this year. Luckily there's a cornucopia of them.