Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Turn Out the Lights

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Turn Out the Lights
Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:10 pm
  • The SB party is over! Chiefs finally get one. Glad that's over with.
    Bring on the draft and FA negotiations! Now it's down to the SERIOUS business of getting the Seahawks another one.
    Appyhawk
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 485
    Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:43 pm
    Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.


Re: Turn Out the Lights
Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:49 pm
  • 30 weeks until football starts...
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 8713
    Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:20 am
    Location: BC Canada


Re: Turn Out the Lights
Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:02 pm
  • Cyrus12 wrote:30 weeks until football starts...


    XFL 6 days
    John63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2588
    Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:56 pm


Re: Turn Out the Lights
Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:12 pm
  • Congrats to the Chiefs.
    They balled out in the 4th quarter. Nice to see Andy Reid finally get one.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 27180
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: Turn Out the Lights
Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:13 pm
  • John63 wrote:
    Cyrus12 wrote:30 weeks until football starts...


    XFL 6 days

    Yes, go Dragons!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 27180
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: Turn Out the Lights
Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:54 pm
  • I don’t know how RW can possibly come out more motivated, but seeing Mahomes win a ring makes me think Russ wants that 2nd one more than ever. I just hope the Hawks give him a real defense next year and the injury bug is more kind.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    James in PA
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1340
    Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:36 pm


Re: Turn Out the Lights
Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:03 pm
  • James in PA wrote:a real defense next year


    Please, please, please.
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2429
    Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:56 pm


Re: Turn Out the Lights
Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:09 pm
  • John63 wrote:
    Cyrus12 wrote:30 weeks until football starts...


    XFL 6 days


    So, 30 weeks until football starts. :lol:
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2708
    Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:27 am
    Location: Kalispell, MT


Re: Turn Out the Lights
Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:30 pm

Re: Turn Out the Lights
Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:51 pm
  • 49ers had a pretty good defense..
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2710
    Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:52 pm


Re: Turn Out the Lights
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:56 pm
  • James in PA wrote:I don’t know how RW can possibly come out more motivated, but seeing Mahomes win a ring makes me think Russ wants that 2nd one more than ever. I just hope the Hawks give him a real defense next year and the injury bug is more kind.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


    That and playing 4 qtrs of offense would be nice
    John63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2588
    Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:56 pm


Re: Turn Out the Lights
Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:15 am
  • Appyhawk wrote:The SB party is over! Chiefs finally get one. Glad that's over with.
    Bring on the draft and FA negotiations! Now it's down to the SERIOUS business of getting the Seahawks another one.

    You do know they already had a SB win right?
    Granted it was a long time ago..I can't wait till
    PM gets paid and they cannot afford all those
    players..We will see how good he really is then.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5129
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:42 pm


Re: Turn Out the Lights
Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:16 am
  • Happy for Andy Reid, Happy for Frank Clark and most of all happy that Big Mouth Sherman and the Whiners lost! :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers:
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 4803
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:27 pm


Re: Turn Out the Lights
Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:29 am
  • Can't believe the Chiefs won with such a terrible gameplan that meant they had only scored 10 points in first 53 minutes of the game.

    Shows that maybe starting fast isn't the be all and end all really.
    themunn
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3473
    Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 5:38 pm


Re: Turn Out the Lights
Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:35 am
  • themunn wrote:Can't believe the Chiefs won with such a terrible gameplan that meant they had only scored 10 points in first 53 minutes of the game.

    Shows that maybe starting fast isn't the be all and end all really.


    Mahomes was struggling for the first 53 minutes. It wasn't until the last 7 that he finally started getting on target and in a rhythm. Not quite the same as consistently throwing away the first half of games because you win in the 4th quarter.
    JustTheTip
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter
     
    Posts: 1904
    Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:38 pm


Re: Turn Out the Lights
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:47 am
  • Ya play to win in the 4th quarter.

    Testing and learning from the opposition's tendencies in the early quarters is paramount to finishing well.

    Both the Chiefs defense and Chiefs offense put on a clinic of adjustments reflecting lessons learned during the Superbowl contest in the fourth quarter.

    It's how ya finish.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 9402
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:49 pm


Re: Turn Out the Lights
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:57 am
  • Jville wrote:Ya play to win in the 4th quarter.

    Testing and learning from the opposition's tendencies in the early quarters is paramount to finishing well.

    Both the Chiefs defense and Chiefs offense put on a clinic of adjustments reflecting lessons learned during the Superbowl contest in the fourth quarter.

    It's how ya finish.



    Clearly a lesson that Shanahan hasn't learned after blowing two Superbowls with lousy offensive play calling in the 4th quarter.

    I'm glad the Chiefs won all 3 playoff games coming back from double digit deficits in every game. Just goes to show that even Andy Reid knows that its all about how you finish, not how you start.
    Mad Dog
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1725
    Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:12 am


Re: Turn Out the Lights
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:26 am
  • I can't see how starting faster than we have been would be a bad thing.
    Seahawks have compiled an other-worldly win% stat when scoring first and leading by at least 4 at end of first half.
    Que another piece of HISTORIAN magic in 3...2...1...
    :)
    Appyhawk
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 485
    Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:43 pm
    Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.


Re: Turn Out the Lights
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:35 am
  • I've come to assume that many fans just are not seeing the adjustments and gamesmanship of both offensive and defensive play callers. It's a most important feature of any contest.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 9402
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:49 pm


Re: Turn Out the Lights
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:46 am
  • Jville wrote:I've come to assume that many fans just are not seeing the adjustments and gamesmanship of both offensive and defensive play callers. It's a most important feature of any contest.


    From the Matchup; "The most important thing isn't how fast a horse runs, but how a horse runs fast."
    Get into horse racing JVille. You sound like a natural! :)
    Appyhawk
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 485
    Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:43 pm
    Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.


Re: Turn Out the Lights
Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:17 am
  • Appyhawk wrote:
    Jville wrote:I've come to assume that many fans just are not seeing the adjustments and gamesmanship of both offensive and defensive play callers. It's a most important feature of any contest.


    From the Matchup; "The most important thing isn't how fast a horse runs, but how a horse runs fast."
    Get into horse racing JVille. You sound like a natural! :)


    A bit off topic. But, the story and movie "Seabiscuit" does comes to mind.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 9402
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:49 pm


Re: Turn Out the Lights
Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:05 pm
  • Appyhawk wrote:I can't see how starting faster than we have been would be a bad thing.
    Seahawks have compiled an other-worldly win% stat when scoring first and leading by at least 4 at end of first half.
    Que another piece of HISTORIAN magic in 3...2...1...
    :)



    it would not be a bad thing at all, and KC was one of the fastest starting teams in the regular season. There is nothing wrong with starting fast and putting pressure on the other team at all.
    Last edited by Jville on Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Reason: Edited out false assertion
    John63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2588
    Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:56 pm


Re: Turn Out the Lights
Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:01 pm
  • John63 wrote:
    Appyhawk wrote:I can't see how starting faster than we have been would be a bad thing.
    Seahawks have compiled an other-worldly win% stat when scoring first and leading by at least 4 at end of first half.
    Que another piece of HISTORIAN magic in 3...2...1...
    :)



    it would not be a bad thing at all, and KC was one of the fastest starting teams in the regular season. There is nothing wrong with starting fast and putting pressure on the other team at all.

    Last edited by Jville on Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Reason: Edited out false assertion


    A false assertion from John? Say it ain't so.
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 24041
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:38 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


Re: Turn Out the Lights
Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:58 pm
  • John63 wrote:
    Appyhawk wrote:I can't see how starting faster than we have been would be a bad thing.
    Seahawks have compiled an other-worldly win% stat when scoring first and leading by at least 4 at end of first half.
    Que another piece of HISTORIAN magic in 3...2...1...
    :)



    it would not be a bad thing at all, and KC was one of the fastest starting teams in the regular season. There is nothing wrong with starting fast and putting pressure on the other team at all.


    Tampa Bay was tied with KC as the most points scored in the first half at 17.2 points in 1st half. Didn't seem to help them much.

    The Seahawks certainly could have done better (11.1), but they were in the middle and ranked at 16/32 in 1st half points. However, they were the lowest ranked in teams that made the playoffs.
    Nunya_
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 27
    Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:43 am


Re: Turn Out the Lights
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:26 pm
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    John63 wrote:
    Appyhawk wrote:I can't see how starting faster than we have been would be a bad thing.
    Seahawks have compiled an other-worldly win% stat when scoring first and leading by at least 4 at end of first half.
    Que another piece of HISTORIAN magic in 3...2...1...
    :)



    it would not be a bad thing at all, and KC was one of the fastest starting teams in the regular season. There is nothing wrong with starting fast and putting pressure on the other team at all.

    Last edited by Jville on Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Reason: Edited out false assertion


    A false assertion from John? Say it ain't so.



    Ah so you think we should not start fast and just play from behind got it.
    John63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2588
    Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:56 pm


Re: Turn Out the Lights
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:27 pm
  • Nunya_ wrote:
    John63 wrote:
    Appyhawk wrote:I can't see how starting faster than we have been would be a bad thing.
    Seahawks have compiled an other-worldly win% stat when scoring first and leading by at least 4 at end of first half.
    Que another piece of HISTORIAN magic in 3...2...1...
    :)



    it would not be a bad thing at all, and KC was one of the fastest starting teams in the regular season. There is nothing wrong with starting fast and putting pressure on the other team at all.


    Tampa Bay was tied with KC as the most points scored in the first half at 17.2 points in 1st half. Didn't seem to help them much.

    The Seahawks certainly could have done better (11.1), but they were in the middle and ranked at 16/32 in 1st half points. However, they were the lowest ranked in teams that made the playoffs.



    Lol one had a qb with as many ints as tds and one has an MVP really. Oh and we have Wilson. Nice try though.

    Also let's look at the top 5 scoring in 1st half

    Kc
    TB
    Baltimore
    SF
    NO


    Hmm 4 of 5 are playoff teams hmm.
    Fyi the 2 SB teams top 10 scoring both halves.
    John63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2588
    Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:56 pm


Re: Turn Out the Lights
Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:42 am
  • John63 wrote:
    Nunya_ wrote:
    John63 wrote:
    Appyhawk wrote:I can't see how starting faster than we have been would be a bad thing.
    Seahawks have compiled an other-worldly win% stat when scoring first and leading by at least 4 at end of first half.
    Que another piece of HISTORIAN magic in 3...2...1...
    :)



    it would not be a bad thing at all, and KC was one of the fastest starting teams in the regular season. There is nothing wrong with starting fast and putting pressure on the other team at all.


    Tampa Bay was tied with KC as the most points scored in the first half at 17.2 points in 1st half. Didn't seem to help them much.

    The Seahawks certainly could have done better (11.1), but they were in the middle and ranked at 16/32 in 1st half points. However, they were the lowest ranked in teams that made the playoffs.



    Lol one had a qb with as many ints as tds and one has an MVP really. Oh and we have Wilson. Nice try though.

    Also let's look at the top 5 scoring in 1st half

    Kc
    TB
    Baltimore
    SF
    NO


    Hmm 4 of 5 are playoff teams hmm.
    Fyi the 2 SB teams top 10 scoring both halves.


    My point was that "starting fast" does not necessarily guarantee a visit to the Superbowl or even the playoffs for that matter.

    There is one thing (and only one thing) that I agree with you, though. The slow starts did hurt us and the odds will be against the Seahawks winning a SB if they do not address the issue next season. However, what I disagree with you on is how to address the issue or the cause of the issue. Only a fool would advocate the firing of a head coach after 8 winning seasons and where 6 of those 8 winning season were by double digits wins. I can only think of one time where a winning coach was fired after double digit wins in a winning season (Schottenheimer 2006 14-2). However he was fired because of controversy between Schottenheimer and the team's president, Spanos, and not because of on-field job performance.

    I also disagree that the solution is as simple as you make it out to be with "up tempo" or "letting Russ cook". Football is not that simple. If it was, anybody (including you) could be head coach. You have no clue on what is happening on the sideline or in the huddle. As far you you know, it could be Russ's overuse of audibles that is causing the issue (not saying it is and likely is not).

    I do know that the defense under performed this season. While the offence could have made things easier by scoring more, they did not do too badly. Unfortunately, no matter how good an offence does, it becomes irrelevant if the defense can not keep the other team from scoring as well. We had a poor pass rush this season and our zone coverage was torn apart. Our safety position was the weakest link until Diggs showed up, but we only had him for 5 games. Had the defense been as dominate as it had in the last few seasons, I am fairly confident that our season would have turned out much differently.
    Nunya
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 46
    Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:20 am


Re: Turn Out the Lights
Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:25 am
  • You make some good points there Nunya.
    One of the most successful coaches I ever knew is a defense first type. His theory, simplified, is that if they can't score they can't beat you.

    Aside: " (Schottenheimer 2006 14-2). However he was fired because of controversy between Schottenheimer and the team's president, Spanos, and not because of on-field job performance."
    Maybe my memory is at fault, but seems to me his firing included complaints against him (wasn't Seattle one who filed?) with the league that he was teaching and encouraging the use use of dangerous and illegal chop blocks? And those complaints were upheld by the league, weren't they?
    Appyhawk
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 485
    Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:43 pm
    Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.


Re: Turn Out the Lights
Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:21 pm
  • Nunya wrote:
    John63 wrote:
    Nunya_ wrote:
    John63 wrote:

    it would not be a bad thing at all, and KC was one of the fastest starting teams in the regular season. There is nothing wrong with starting fast and putting pressure on the other team at all.


    Tampa Bay was tied with KC as the most points scored in the first half at 17.2 points in 1st half. Didn't seem to help them much.

    The Seahawks certainly could have done better (11.1), but they were in the middle and ranked at 16/32 in 1st half points. However, they were the lowest ranked in teams that made the playoffs.



    Lol one had a qb with as many ints as tds and one has an MVP really. Oh and we have Wilson. Nice try though.

    Also let's look at the top 5 scoring in 1st half

    Kc
    TB
    Baltimore
    SF
    NO


    Hmm 4 of 5 are playoff teams hmm.
    Fyi the 2 SB teams top 10 scoring both halves.


    My point was that "starting fast" does not necessarily guarantee a visit to the Superbowl or even the playoffs for that matter.

    There is one thing (and only one thing) that I agree with you, though. The slow starts did hurt us and the odds will be against the Seahawks winning a SB if they do not address the issue next season. However, what I disagree with you on is how to address the issue or the cause of the issue. Only a fool would advocate the firing of a head coach after 8 winning seasons and where 6 of those 8 winning season were by double digits wins. I can only think of one time where a winning coach was fired after double digit wins in a winning season (Schottenheimer 2006 14-2). However he was fired because of controversy between Schottenheimer and the team's president, Spanos, and not because of on-field job performance.

    I also disagree that the solution is as simple as you make it out to be with "up tempo" or "letting Russ cook". Football is not that simple. If it was, anybody (including you) could be head coach. You have no clue on what is happening on the sideline or in the huddle. As far you you know, it could be Russ's overuse of audibles that is causing the issue (not saying it is and likely is not).

    I do know that the defense under performed this season. While the offence could have made things easier by scoring more, they did not do too badly. Unfortunately, no matter how good an offence does, it becomes irrelevant if the defense can not keep the other team from scoring as well. We had a poor pass rush this season and our zone coverage was torn apart. Our safety position was the weakest link until Diggs showed up, but we only had him for 5 games. Had the defense been as dominate as it had in the last few seasons, I am fairly confident that our season would have turned out much differently.


    some good points, and the reality is nothing but winning guarantees you an SB, but it is far easier to win with a lead then from behind, and the game starts in the first qtr so why not start scoring in the first qtr. Imagine how much better our defense would be knowing they have a lead from the start rather than having to play from behind.
    Last edited by John63 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    John63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2588
    Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:56 pm


Re: Turn Out the Lights
Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:42 pm
  • "Imagine how much better our defense would be knowing they have a lead from the start rather than having to play form behind."
    Yeah, that's a point to ponder. Remember our games this past year vs Atlanta, Carolina, Eagles twice? I got the impression our defense more often than not became complacent when playing with a lead. We gave up yardage in chunk after chunk after chunk all the way down the field, allowing games to be much closer than they should have been.
    But we did win those games, so there's that...
    Appyhawk
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 485
    Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:43 pm
    Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.


Re: Turn Out the Lights
Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:07 pm
  • Appyhawk wrote:"Imagine how much better our defense would be knowing they have a lead from the start rather than having to play form behind."
    Yeah, that's a point to ponder. Remember our games this past year vs Atlanta, Carolina, Eagles twice? I got the impression our defense more often than not became complacent when playing with a lead. We gave up yardage in chunk after chunk after chunk all the way down the field, allowing games to be much closer than they should have been.
    But we did win those games, so there's that...



    no imagine we played 4 qtrs to win on both sides instead of playing not to loose for half a game
    Last edited by John63 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    John63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2588
    Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:56 pm


Re: Turn Out the Lights
Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:34 pm
  • John63 wrote:
    Nunya wrote:
    John63 wrote:
    Nunya_ wrote:
    Tampa Bay was tied with KC as the most points scored in the first half at 17.2 points in 1st half. Didn't seem to help them much.

    The Seahawks certainly could have done better (11.1), but they were in the middle and ranked at 16/32 in 1st half points. However, they were the lowest ranked in teams that made the playoffs.



    Lol one had a qb with as many ints as tds and one has an MVP really. Oh and we have Wilson. Nice try though.

    Also let's look at the top 5 scoring in 1st half

    Kc
    TB
    Baltimore
    SF
    NO


    Hmm 4 of 5 are playoff teams hmm.
    Fyi the 2 SB teams top 10 scoring both halves.


    My point was that "starting fast" does not necessarily guarantee a visit to the Superbowl or even the playoffs for that matter.

    There is one thing (and only one thing) that I agree with you, though. The slow starts did hurt us and the odds will be against the Seahawks winning a SB if they do not address the issue next season. However, what I disagree with you on is how to address the issue or the cause of the issue. Only a fool would advocate the firing of a head coach after 8 winning seasons and where 6 of those 8 winning season were by double digits wins. I can only think of one time where a winning coach was fired after double digit wins in a winning season (Schottenheimer 2006 14-2). However he was fired because of controversy between Schottenheimer and the team's president, Spanos, and not because of on-field job performance.

    I also disagree that the solution is as simple as you make it out to be with "up tempo" or "letting Russ cook". Football is not that simple. If it was, anybody (including you) could be head coach. You have no clue on what is happening on the sideline or in the huddle. As far you you know, it could be Russ's overuse of audibles that is causing the issue (not saying it is and likely is not).

    I do know that the defense under performed this season. While the offence could have made things easier by scoring more, they did not do too badly. Unfortunately, no matter how good an offence does, it becomes irrelevant if the defense can not keep the other team from scoring as well. We had a poor pass rush this season and our zone coverage was torn apart. Our safety position was the weakest link until Diggs showed up, but we only had him for 5 games. Had the defense been as dominate as it had in the last few seasons, I am fairly confident that our season would have turned out much differently.


    some good points, and the reality is nothing but winning guarantees you an SB, but it is far easier to win with a lead then from behind, and the game starts in the first qtr so why not start scoring in the first qtr. Imagine how much better our defense would be knowing they have a lead from the start rather than having to play from behind.


    Of course it is easier to win with a lead than from behind. However, it is much easier to wish for it to happen than it is to accomplish. Even the "Greatest show on Turf" (1999 Rams) only scored a max of 28 points in the first half and only did that in 3 games. They had 4 regular season games where they scored less than 14 points in the 1st half and did not score more than 14 in the 1st half in any of their playoff games nor in the Superbowl.

    This is professional football. Even if a team completely sucks (record wise), every team still has many good players and coaches. Every team studies the other team and can often easily shut down any team in the first half, no matter how good that team is. Halftime adjustments are very important.

    Do you honestly believe that the Seahawks are sandbagging in the 1st half? Do you honestly believe that they are NOT trying to score? If you do believe that then let me know and I will find the biggest "facepalm" meme on the internet and post it. Of course they would love to build a commanding lead in the 1st half....however, the other professional team on the other side of the ball is also trying to prevent that.

    How much of a lead the offense build does not nor SHOULD NOT change the quality of the defense.
    Nunya
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 46
    Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:20 am


Re: Turn Out the Lights
Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:45 pm
  • Appyhawk wrote:You make some good points there Nunya.
    One of the most successful coaches I ever knew is a defense first type. His theory, simplified, is that if they can't score they can't beat you.

    Aside: " (Schottenheimer 2006 14-2). However he was fired because of controversy between Schottenheimer and the team's president, Spanos, and not because of on-field job performance."
    Maybe my memory is at fault, but seems to me his firing included complaints against him (wasn't Seattle one who filed?) with the league that he was teaching and encouraging the use use of dangerous and illegal chop blocks? And those complaints were upheld by the league, weren't they?


    I don't remember anything about the "chop block", but I'm not saying you are wrong. I do know that there was friction between Schottenheimer and Spanos (Prez) and Smith (GM) over Marty's constant coaching changes and Marty's desire to replace those coaches with family members. Brian Schottenheimer was the QB coach and everybody was fine with that. However, when Marty tried to replace Wade Phillips with his brother Kurt, it pissed everybody off. Cameron, Phillips, Chudzinski, and Manusky all quit after the 2006 season because of it.
    Nunya
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 46
    Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:20 am


Re: Turn Out the Lights
Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:54 pm
  • Nunya wrote:
    John63 wrote:
    Nunya wrote:
    John63 wrote:

    Lol one had a qb with as many ints as tds and one has an MVP really. Oh and we have Wilson. Nice try though.

    Also let's look at the top 5 scoring in 1st half

    Kc
    TB
    Baltimore
    SF
    NO


    Hmm 4 of 5 are playoff teams hmm.
    Fyi the 2 SB teams top 10 scoring both halves.


    My point was that "starting fast" does not necessarily guarantee a visit to the Superbowl or even the playoffs for that matter.

    There is one thing (and only one thing) that I agree with you, though. The slow starts did hurt us and the odds will be against the Seahawks winning a SB if they do not address the issue next season. However, what I disagree with you on is how to address the issue or the cause of the issue. Only a fool would advocate the firing of a head coach after 8 winning seasons and where 6 of those 8 winning season were by double digits wins. I can only think of one time where a winning coach was fired after double digit wins in a winning season (Schottenheimer 2006 14-2). However he was fired because of controversy between Schottenheimer and the team's president, Spanos, and not because of on-field job performance.

    I also disagree that the solution is as simple as you make it out to be with "up tempo" or "letting Russ cook". Football is not that simple. If it was, anybody (including you) could be head coach. You have no clue on what is happening on the sideline or in the huddle. As far you you know, it could be Russ's overuse of audibles that is causing the issue (not saying it is and likely is not).

    I do know that the defense under performed this season. While the offence could have made things easier by scoring more, they did not do too badly. Unfortunately, no matter how good an offence does, it becomes irrelevant if the defense can not keep the other team from scoring as well. We had a poor pass rush this season and our zone coverage was torn apart. Our safety position was the weakest link until Diggs showed up, but we only had him for 5 games. Had the defense been as dominate as it had in the last few seasons, I am fairly confident that our season would have turned out much differently.


    some good points, and the reality is nothing but winning guarantees you an SB, but it is far easier to win with a lead then from behind, and the game starts in the first qtr so why not start scoring in the first qtr. Imagine how much better our defense would be knowing they have a lead from the start rather than having to play from behind.


    Of course it is easier to win with a lead than from behind. However, it is much easier to wish for it to happen than it is to accomplish. Even the "Greatest show on Turf" (1999 Rams) only scored a max of 28 points in the first half and only did that in 3 games. They had 4 regular season games where they scored less than 14 points in the 1st half and did not score more than 14 in the 1st half in any of their playoff games nor in the Superbowl.

    This is professional football. Even if a team completely sucks (record wise), every team still has many good players and coaches. Every team studies the other team and can often easily shut down any team in the first half, no matter how good that team is. Halftime adjustments are very important.

    Do you honestly believe that the Seahawks are sandbagging in the 1st half? Do you honestly believe that they are NOT trying to score? If you do believe that then let me know and I will find the biggest "facepalm" meme on the internet and post it. Of course they would love to build a commanding lead in the 1st half....however, the other professional team on the other side of the ball is also trying to prevent that.

    How much of a lead the offense build does not nor SHOULD NOT change the quality of the defense.


    Playing it safe or not to loose and sandbagging is not the something. PC has said he plays it safe in the first half so this is not me making it up. As to the change the quality of the defense, ahh ever heard of prevent? We play alot of that with a lead and early in games, and only get aggressive when we have to.
    John63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2588
    Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:56 pm


Re: Turn Out the Lights
Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:57 pm
  • John63 wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    John63 wrote:
    Appyhawk wrote:I can't see how starting faster than we have been would be a bad thing.
    Seahawks have compiled an other-worldly win% stat when scoring first and leading by at least 4 at end of first half.
    Que another piece of HISTORIAN magic in 3...2...1...
    :)



    it would not be a bad thing at all, and KC was one of the fastest starting teams in the regular season. There is nothing wrong with starting fast and putting pressure on the other team at all.

    Last edited by Jville on Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Reason: Edited out false assertion


    A false assertion from John? Say it ain't so.



    Ah so you think we should not start fast and just play from behind got it.

    No, I think you've once again gone into your file that says "first half" and copied and pasted the same post ad naseum. And I was referring to Jville, moderator, having to edit your post for a "false assertion" (his words). No idea what that was but with you it really doesn't matter. One could guess without too much effort. Perhaps me making his edit bold was beyond your comprehension?
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 24041
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:38 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


Re: Turn Out the Lights
Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:19 pm

  • Playing it safe or not to loose and sandbagging is not the something. PC has said he plays it safe in the first half so this is not me making it up. As to the change the quality of the defense, ahh ever heard of prevent? We play alot of that with a lead and early in games, and only get aggressive when we have to.


    You quite often make this claim. I have seen almost every press conference Pete has given and I have never heard him come close to that comment. PLEASE POST THE VIDEO. I'm thinking you are taking something out of context, misunderstood him, or are just plain making stuff up.

    I do know he said he likes close games, but that does not mean what you claim. Heck, I like close games. They are more fun. However, I would gladly accept a blowout first half if they win....and I'm sure PC would as well.

    I do know that EVERY team will use the first half to evaluate their opponent, but that doers not equate to "playing it safe".
    Nunya
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 46
    Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:20 am


Re: Turn Out the Lights
Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:10 pm
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    John63 wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    John63 wrote:

    it would not be a bad thing at all, and KC was one of the fastest starting teams in the regular season. There is nothing wrong with starting fast and putting pressure on the other team at all.

    Last edited by Jville on Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Reason: Edited out false assertion


    A false assertion from John? Say it ain't so.



    Ah so you think we should not start fast and just play from behind got it.

    No, I think you've once again gone into your file that says "first half" and copied and pasted the same post ad naseum. And I was referring to Jville, moderator, having to edit your post for a "false assertion" (his words). No idea what that was but with you it really doesn't matter. One could guess without too much effort. Perhaps me making his edit bold was beyond your comprehension?



    LOL yeah whatever good by!
    John63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2588
    Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:56 pm


Re: Turn Out the Lights
Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:43 pm
  • PC has said he plays it safe in the first half so this is not me making it up.


    Dear John,

    If your going to make assertions about what others have said, you need to provide a link to an authentic transcript, podcast, post ..... ect. to support such assertions.

    Posts are subject to edits and/or deletions of false statements about what others are alleged to have said. That courtesy of editing out false statements is extended to members of the Seahawks organization.

    Jville
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 9402
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:49 pm




It is currently Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:19 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]




Information
  • Who is online