Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Greg Olsen Signed to 1 Year Deal

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Greg Olsen Signed to 1 Year Deal
Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:06 pm
  • add him the the list of FA off season must pick ups! He could be the missing link at TE we have needed. Sign a two year with third year option.
    zchurch74
    NET Veteran

Re: Greg Olsen
Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:21 pm
  • I don't know if a 34 year old Greg Olson is on my list of must adds. If the front office is looking for a tight end, Hunter Henry is one of the best blocker / receiving TE's in the league. The only downside being his injury concern which is only slightly better than Dissly.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:47 pm
  • maybe a 1 year deal...fa sometimes asked why ?
    xray
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:58 pm
  • Olsens best years are behind him. Just injury history is well documented. Not taking away from his actual play, I just want the Hawks to go after a younger more stable TE either in FA or the draft. Hope they pass on Olsen.
    BubbaGump
    NET Starter

Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:03 pm
  • Nah, we don't have anymore room on IR for another oft injured TE.
    Wartooth
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:03 pm
  • nope, we will draft a TE
    Chukarhawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:11 pm
  • Chukarhawk wrote:nope, we will draft a TE

Probably, but we'll also look at free agents, too. Just not that one. Count me on the "no more old, oft injured guys" list.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:55 pm
  • One year low ball deal with all kinds of incentives that'll get him to $8 million or so if he meets them all.
    TreeRon
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:36 pm
  • NO, dude is done.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:33 pm
  • Olsen is done. He's been injured and not earning his salary for the past while now.

There is no doubt that when healthy he's a good player but we've seen how little TE- Dickson with his wonky knees has contributed here. Not interested in repeating that situation with Olsen.

I'd rather draft a solid prospect and develop our own with the guys we have here already, Dissly, Hollister, Willson and the draft pick would be a good group. There are a good number of solid TEs in this draft.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:48 am
  • I like the guy but yeah he seems hurt all the time..
    Did Kam take a piece out of him too?
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:36 am
  • Signing Olson to a minimalist contract doesn't preclude the Hawks from signing/drafting another TE. Let him compete and if he can't...cut him. Very little risk.
    That said, I doubt he'd sign anywhere under those conditions so it's moot.
    TreeRon
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:34 am
  • I think they have to sign a guy with starting experience. Can't rely on Dissly to play a full season right now. But Olsen can't block. He's essentially a not as good Hollister. I think they'll go with a guy with more of a blocking pedigree.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• It's only been two days since the Carolina Panthers and Greg Olsen mutually parted ways, but the veteran tight end may already be eyeing potential landing spots.

Bill Voth, the assistant director of Panthers digital broadcasting, put out a post on Saturday showing Carolina quarterback Cam Newton whispering something to Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson.

Perplexed by what the two may be talking about, Voth proposed this question to Twitter: "What could Cam Newton be whispering to Russell Wilson?" Olsen had some thoughts of his own...

https://sports.yahoo.com/greg-olsen-sea ... 02233.html
    Mistashoesta
    NET Veteran

• One knarly beard on RW.
    TreeRon
    NET Veteran

• I hope the Hawks aren't thinking about signing another TE that spends more time on IR, than he does on the field.
    I'm sure Olsen can still play, but if he misses half the season, or more... What's the point?
    Wartooth
    NET Veteran

• I can't see Olsen getting a big contract on the market, he's got the tv gig if he wants it so if he plays it's strictly out of desire for a championship shot. Depending on the dollars it could be a limited downside with high upside signing. It really depends on what other options would cost. I'd prefer a long term fix at te but if the dollars are too high, I wouldn't mind him as part of te group.
    flmmkrz
    NET Veteran

• Maybe a deal in the Jason Witten range 1 year $4M.

The money they'll free up by cutting Ed Dickson will pay for most of that.
    massari
    NET Veteran

• No thanks
    hawksincebirth
    NET Veteran

• Olsen would be a good 2nd or 3rd TE option for that veteran slot, if we can get him for cheap.

Uncle Will's the man, but he's not reliable, so Pete and John should be vetting out any and all TE free agents and potential draft picks. Cause I think we're all tired of seeing 2nd halves of seasons using scrubs and grabbin dudes off the unsigned free agent scrap heap.

Russell LOVES the TE, give the man something to work with.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Saw a report tonight that Olsen is currently with visiting 2 teams. Washington is one of them. I'm suddenly pulling a blank on who the other is, but it isn't Seattle.
    Appyhawk
    NET Veteran

Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.

• NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday that Olsen is set to visit the Buffalo Bills and Washington Redskins this week. Both clubs are led by former Panthers -- Sean McDermott and Brandon Beane in Buffalo and Ron Rivera in D.C.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... s-redskins
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• I'm jumping to the conclusion that since the Hawks don't have a visit set up with a guy who is available now, they aren't interested. I'm also jumping to the conclusion that is because they have their sights set on a guy who will be available soon, namely Austin Hooper. A guy can hope.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

• How'd the last aging TE we got from the Panthers work out again?
    Grahamhawker
    NET Veteran

• Not a fan of this.

hugecanoli
    NET Rookie

• Grahamhawker wrote:How'd the last aging TE we got from the Panthers work out again?

If he can be had for a reasonable contract, & not demand ridiculous money like Jimmy Graham did, then, I'm okay with giving him a shot.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• I love it. He’s gonna be signed for cheap likely whoever gets him as you can’t gamble too much on him but he’s a vet that could teach hollister and dissley something. Give dissley time to recover and see what we have in him as he’s barely played. Plus we don’t have to use draft capital on a TE
    Kinger95
    NET Practice Squad

• KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• scutterhawk wrote:
    Grahamhawker wrote:How'd the last aging TE we got from the Panthers work out again?

If he can be had for a reasonable contract, & not demand ridiculous money like Jimmy Graham did, then, I'm okay with giving him a shot.

JG was a trade and his contract was already set before hand
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• O’Neil: Seahawks’ success could pay dividends with free-agent Greg Olsen

You remember him, right? The guy who caught the game-winning touchdown back in 2015 when the Panthers came to Seattle and pulled off a heck of a comeback. That was the second of three consecutive seasons in which Olsen amassed more than 1,000 yards receiving.

He’s 34 now, and while he suffered significant injuries first in 2017 and then in 2018, he caught 52 passes in 14 games last season and showed he’s still got good football left in him.

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/813432/s ... reg-olsen/
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Not excited. Olsen is washed up and injury prone now. If it were 5 years ago then yeah it would be a great addition. Pass and concentrate on Clowney.
    hawks85
    NET Starter

• I've admired Olsen's play for some time. He isn't any older than our left tackle and he contributed 807 offensive snaps in 2019 .... more than any tight end on the Seahawks roster. He would be a helpful addition on an incentive laden contract.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• This player is a street FA now and won't count against the comp pick calculations if he is signed.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• Seattle...where receiving threats go to die.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

• Jville wrote:I've admired Olsen's play for some time. He isn't any older than our left tackle and he contributed 807 offensive snaps in 2019 .... more than any tight end on the Seahawks roster. He would be a helpful addition on an incentive laden contract.

Concur.

I've heard a lot of "He's injury prone"comments, but haven't seen anything to back up that statement.

2017 he broke his right foot, but came back late in the season, and had problems with the same foot in 2018. But 2019 was great for him.

https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/playe ... olsen/2385
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Greg Olson could be the Lawyer Milloy of the TE position for Seattle.
    An incentive-laden deal, and draft a promising rookie prospect (or two), and let Olson mentor him/them. (and whatever our twice-injured 3rd year TE Dissly is able to physically bring)

The Lawyer Milloy approach worked with Kam and Earl.
    https://www.heraldnet.com/sports/lawyer ... eing-felt/
    The Greg Olson experiment seems worth a shot.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

• We have two Greg Olsen threads going...
    In the other one, I posted the idea that Greg Olsen could be the Lawyer Milloy of TEs for the Seahawks if Pete drafts a couple nice TE prospects, plus maybe Dissly healthy a full season. It turned out well with Milloy mentoring Kam and Earl for a year. https://www.heraldnet.com/sports/lawyer ... eing-felt/
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

• IndyHawk wrote:
    scutterhawk wrote:
    Grahamhawker wrote:How'd the last aging TE we got from the Panthers work out again?

I was thinking of the Ed Dickson acquisition.
    Grahamhawker
    NET Veteran

• IndyHawk wrote:
    scutterhawk wrote:

IMO the REAL price we paid for Graham was our all-world center and the result was the Saints immediately took off big time while we slid down the ladder.
    Re-sign Britt and hit the draft for a TE.
    Appyhawk
    NET Veteran

Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.

• We need players to be able to play. Dickson was an absolute waste of space this year. Olson is 34 and his job is to go down the seam. He's been very injured the last few years and missed 18 games, and a concussion was one of them. He's also a subpar blocker, it's not his gig.

Just No.....Have a viable player in that spot that isn't one hit away from retirement. Hooper would be too expensive but Howard may be had for a draft pick. That would be the way I would go.

Plus I would draft either Ruiz or Cushenberry at center and that spot would be manned for years to come. Add an OG, and in this deep WR draft get one.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• IndyHawk wrote:
    scutterhawk wrote:

Yea, but it was "Set" for too much,& why he wasn't re-signed by the Seahawks + he wasn't a MUCH NEEDED "Blocking" TE, & what skillsets he had, were misused by Bevell.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• Largent80 wrote:Plus I would draft either Ruiz or Cushenberry at center and that spot would be manned for years to come. Add an OG, and in this deep WR draft get one.

I would normally consent with this notion. But it would depend on how the draft unfolds. Right now, Ruiz and Cush are hot -- in fact the OC class, which is good is hot throughout. I am not a fan of drafting an OC in R1/R2. The hit rate is generally poor, and the value/return even if you do hit is poor.

Hit rate is less than 50% for OCs, and OGs that convert to OC in R1/R2 going back 5 years. That's significantly subpar. Although hits/misses tend to be in groups and some classes are good, while maybe half are complete whiffs.

The combine generally changes things up a bit. I would hope the OC outlook cools some. As is, I would not advocate OC early, as those two guys are going to be gone before #59. But if the run starts around #50 overall -- that would open that option considerably.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

• I could give a rip about stats regarding hits/misses. Imagine what marriage stats would be in that regard.

When you watch tape and games, you can get it.

Those 2 are going to be solid for years to come, you can argue but, ok whatever. Get ONE of them and don't blow the chance.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Not sure Olsen is the answer. Age, money, et. Are huge concerns.
    John63
    NET Veteran

• Please don't sign him Remember the last Panther tight end we signed? Ed Dickson???? Always on IR and unreliable. A big waste of money too. Hardly a bargain.
    vigilantgrrl
    NET Rookie

• Jville wrote:I've admired Olsen's play for some time. He isn't any older than our left tackle and he contributed 807 offensive snaps in 2019 .... more than any tight end on the Seahawks roster. He would be a helpful addition on an incentive laden contract.

Exactly .. the guy ran a 4.5 coming out of Miami and after watching some of his play from last year .. it's obvious he can still move pretty good.. Love .. love uncle will but he has yet to play a full year .. also a fan of hollister but he is more of a move tight end .. keeping 4 tight ends with Olson, Dissly, Hollister and a draft pick maybe that small school kid that did well at the Senior bowl.

would make me happy if we could bring him in on a reasonable one year deal.

4 tight ends stresses the 53 but maybe hollister can fill in a little bit at fullback to ease that a bit .. i like it make it so ...
    oh Adam Trautman is the name of the potential draft pick .. was one of the better blocking tight ends and route runners ... during the week.

what do i know but sounds like a plan for a pretty good tight end room.

i
    JPC4Days
    NET Practice Squad

• Big fan of Trautman. He has a real knack/quality of getting silly open in the seams/middle. Is an ex quarterback, and clearly reads defenses on the move well. Extremely adept at anticipating where the holes in the zone are and sitting in them properly. For Seattle, his value could be heightened as he should be able to succeed mightily in scramble drills -- a trait that leverages value for us (Wilson) more than almost all other teams.

Has deceptive size and length. Very good hands and plucks the ball aggressively. Isn't near the blocker Dissly is. Not asked or tested to do much in this regard. Has frame to improve in this regard. May not factor as a Y end until year 3.

Problem will be, that it may take our 3rd round comp to get him. At that range, we're passing on a really good WR or OG. May be too rich a cost. He's right in the same range as some really good talent:

Solomon Kindley - OG
    Bryan Edwards - WR
    Jeremy Chinn - S
    Alex Highsmith - Edge

And I'm sure that'll shuffle around. But even at this early stage, there is a big difference between "I like this guy", and "I like him over the other alternatives".

EDIT: As far as the OP is concerned, I like the Olsen move. Low risk, and likely an easily assumable cost. Zero draft capital cost. Almost any TE we'd opt for in UFA has to be considered a trade as it'll cost us a comp pick. He's a possible two way hedge: One, in case Dissly misses significant time. Two, in case a TE doesn't fall into our laps in day 3. Allows us to punt the TE issue another year which is valuable.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Attyla the Hawk wrote:Big fan of Trautman. He has a real knack/quality of getting silly open in the seams/middle. Is an ex quarterback, and clearly reads defenses on the move well. Extremely adept at anticipating where the holes in the zone are and sitting in them properly. For Seattle, his value could be heightened as he should be able to succeed mightily in scramble drills -- a trait that leverages value for us (Wilson) more than almost all other teams.

Has deceptive size and length. Very good hands and plucks the ball aggressively. Isn't near the blocker Dissly is. Not asked or tested to do much in this regard. Has frame to improve in this regard. May not factor as a Y end until year 3.

Problem will be, that it may take our 3rd round comp to get him. At that range, we're passing on a really good WR or OG. May be too rich a cost. He's right in the same range as some really good talent:

Solomon Kindley - OG
    Bryan Edwards - WR
    Jeremy Chinn - S
    Alex Highsmith - Edge

And I'm sure that'll shuffle around. But even at this early stage, there is a big difference between "I like this guy", and "I like him over the other alternatives".

EDIT: As far as the OP is concerned, I like the Olsen move. Low risk, and likely an easily assumable cost. Zero draft capital cost. Almost any TE we'd opt for in UFA has to be considered a trade as it'll cost us a comp pick. He's a possible two way hedge: One, in case Dissly misses significant time. Two, in case a TE doesn't fall into our laps in day 3. Allows us to punt the TE issue another year which is valuable.

yah I am hoping he doesn't run sub 4.7 but with all the solid explosion, excellent agility .. Dissly had. at that point .. if he is 4.7 people are like solid 40 but if he runs under .. he might become ..the crush of some team in the second round ... maybe i am wrong about that .. he is still a small school guy with a lot to prove.

i do disagree with the y te taking three years ... i saw him dumping plenty of dudes during the year ... on there ass pancake style. You would think yah well those guys he pancaked during the year are going to be accountants not NFL players .. and that's fair. However then I hear about him being the best blocking te at the senior bowl... ok not a lot of college te can block period.

Then I watched the game and to begin the game he pancakes his guy .. so that doesn't suck. He fell off some blocks but he looks stout and has the size and want to....he admitted he has some teq work to do but the raw tools are there.. and that is kinda why I would like Olson on reasonable deal as a buffer.

I hope we draft him and John is like we thought he was one of the best blocking te in the draft and he is an excellent receiver too .. the guy played QB in high school .. and has not been at the position that long so we see a ton of upside .. that kind of deal.

I have no idea .. all I really know is the Seahawk's offense looks good when you have a 6th offensive lineman like Dissly that is an excellent receiver as well. His 4.8 forty doesn't mean anything .. when your getting ready to deal with him in the run game and all of a sudden he uses his short area quickness to side step you and now he has a five yard head start.

to have that beast blocking te that can also catch like a beast ... is like in mma when a guy can strike .. but also take you you down the other guy .. can't get comfortable .. because he is worried about the take down.

not sure if .. what i just said will make sense to people that read .. it .. so I will just say love what Dissly brings to the offense .. as a 6th offensive lineman and I want more of that for depth.

I am not sure that is this guy but it's slim pickings .. with all the move te's and he has some cool indicators that he is in the ball park of that mold.

i
    JPC4Days
    NET Practice Squad

Next

It is currently Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:17 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information