March 18-April 17 FA signing period

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
The draft comes along a week later.
Seems to me what happens during the FA period will go far to determine our fate next season.
What progress will we have made during the designated FA signing period?
Schneider and Carroll make a game out of doing the unexpected. I'm guessing FA market is where we attempt to address our defensive deficiencies and go for offense in the draft. But, they've fooled me before... :roll:

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I pinned this to the top. Thought it might be a good place for all news, rumors, etc. on free agent visits and ultimately, signings for the Seahawks.

OP
OP
Appyhawk

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Well, we hear TE Olsen is going to visit, so that's the start. I think he has already visited two other teams, maybe three. I don't think he warrants a bidding war. We have plenty of other spots we need to spend money on.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I hope A.J. Green could be had on a reasonable 2- or 3-year deal, and I think that it could pay massive dividends. He's one of the best I've ever seen. Legitimately. At everything. Injury risk, for sure. But that's why it could be reasonable.

OP
OP
Appyhawk

Appyhawk

Reaction score
I don't know how much coaching changes effect what happens in the FA market, but SF lost two members of their defensive staff since the SB. One was their secondary coach, who will be the DC for Browns. Could that have an affect on the availability of a few players from both those teams?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
This offseason will make huge difference in how competitive the Hawks will be for the next few seasons. Re-signing Clowney and fixing both Lines is key.

The dominos will start to fall into place during this critical period for the team keeping our own.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt, with the huge chunk of $ they have available (finally) Clowney and another D Lineman need to be taken care of sooner than later.

OP
OP
Appyhawk

Appyhawk

Reaction score
I agree Soulfish. Re Clowney sooner is paramount. I see that particular deal as the fulcrum point that will determine the order of priority for everything else we do this offseason. I see Clowney as a cornerstone of our defensive front, just as Brown and Britt have been for the O Line.
We need to get the Clowney thing decided ASAP.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
When you have a guy that draws so much attention like that and is so disruptive, you just can't let him go. He frees up plays for other guys. Now if we can get a speed rusher on the other side to go along with Clowney? Yes please.

hawks85

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2jw7oouu said:
When you have a guy that draws so much attention like that and is so disruptive, you just can't let him go. He frees up plays for other guys. Now if we can get a speed rusher on the other side to go along with Clowney? Yes please.
This has been my point when I am literally arguing with people about. I do know Clowney wanted to to go into free agency just to see who bites. I dont care what people tell me that is bad. If Clowney wanted to be here he would have already signed. I honestly think Clowney is eyeing another team in hopes of signing him. Maybe Clowney was offered something already and he's keeping notes I dont know. Actually nobody knows. If we don't re-sign Clowney and we sign a washed up Greg Olsen I am going to be pissed very pissed. All the Seahawks focus should be on re-signing Clowney. At this point nothing else matters. They paid Wilson, Wagner now its Clowney"s turn. He's gonna get paid regardless. If we don't pay him someone else will.

kf3339

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3v37lui1 said:
This offseason will make huge difference in how competitive the Hawks will be for the next few seasons. Re-signing Clowney and fixing both Lines is key.

The dominos will start to fall into place during this critical period for the team keeping our own.

This and other posters on this thread saying basically the same thing is very true. I will even go so far as saying that if JS and PC screw this up we will not sniff another Super Bowl in the PC era. The fact is they have thrown away several drafts and trade/FA signings that hurt this team. I can name them all, but really no point. You all know who I'm talking about all the way back to 2013.

We are currently an above average team that gets to the playoffs because of RW. Without him we are below average at best. This may end up being the most important off-season (Cuts/Trades/Re-signings/FA signings/draft) in the history of our franchise. Yes, I do mean it.

OP
OP
Appyhawk

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Mistashoesta posted this tweet in the Olsen thread down ballot. I don't know how to send his post here so I copied the tweet by Adam Schefter.
"
Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter
Former Panthers’ TE Greg Olsen. is now done with his visits and is in contract negotiations with the Bills, Redskins and Seahawks, per source.

07:59 - 14 Feb 2020

I don't happen to be overly enthusiastic about this acquisition, if it were to happen, but it's our first dive into the waters for this year and it does concern one of our positions of need...sort of.

chris98251

Reaction score
Appyhawk":1u641ujb said:
Mistashoesta posted this tweet in the Olsen thread down ballot. I don't know how to send his post here so I copied the tweet by Adam Schefter.
"
Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter
Former Panthers’ TE Greg Olsen. is now done with his visits and is in contract negotiations with the Bills, Redskins and Seahawks, per source.

07:59 - 14 Feb 2020

I don't happen to be overly enthusiastic about this acquisition, if it were to happen, but it's our first dive into the waters for this year and it does concern one of our positions of need...sort of.

Not need as much as getting healthy which Olsen has not been either, he can take Dickson's spot really, Willson, Hollister, Dissley, Swoopes are what we had at the end of the year.

I say resign Hollister first, then Willson, if Olsen can be signed for a friendly deal fine if not we bring in UDFA or draft one late or bring Swoopes back till Dissley can go.

Only because I think the D line is more important versus a position group that have shown they can perform already and a Olsen signing may not really change what we have much due to his track record of issues the last few seasons.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Think the team overpaid for Olsen but this does give them security if they can't keep Hollister. Of course this is provided Olsen can stay healthy.

I am apprehensive at present about the DLine b/c the cupboard there is rather empty in a year where the draft doesn't offer a lot of quality options.

If Clowney can't be re-signed the team will need to reinvent their plan for the DLine in a market where options available will be costly. Finding more than one solid but cheaper options for the DLine will need to then be a focus. This is a situation where the FO will need to have some good fortune to attract the guys who could fit. It's easy to say they might screw up but this is a situation where they may not have much control and greed may overwhelm common sense. There could be level of contract proposed by Clowney the team is unwilling to pay for good common sense reasons. This might suck as the player was special at times in our scheme, when he was healthy. Reed is a situation where he likely will price himself out of a level the team may wish to pay, for him the suspension hurt his contract leverage. There are players out there that would be worth more than Reed if the money isn't right.

Another direction might be to go cheap on the DLine for another year but bolster the OLine with a big FA OT acquisition. While bolstering the middle.

Finding the right fits for the team is is easy in a Maddenesque world, but a lot harder when the cap exists. It's frustrating but we need to wait and see what happens in FA.

OP
OP
Appyhawk

Appyhawk

Reaction score
I share your apprehension Jammer. But I'm a Clowney believer. Love the guy. If there's any way we can swing it I hope he comes back as the key to making our defense stable. I'm good with our safeties, but we NEED one or 2 more solid/dependable corners for our secondary in addition to our obvious needs on the DL.
We NEED another RB. We NEED help on the OL, although I was impressed at the work turned in by some of our guys from the PS.
That's a lot of NEED to pay Clowney too much. I understand that. But at the same time I don't believe he is effectively replaceable.
We better get to rubbing up our genie bottle.
One thing I like about the Olsen deal is that it came down so early in the process and takes that spot out of further consideration. Now, what's next?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
We are not far apart Appy. I truly think Clowney is special and should be kept, but the $ offered by a tam like NYG may not allow the team to keep him. If that happens it won't be b/c the FO fails, it will be the market that speaks. if that happens a plan B or C will need to be put into motion. To me the biggest area of concern is the DLine. So if the team were to lose both Clowney and Reed then a shift in focus might be appropriate.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
If the FA market works against the team then a hard shift in focus might be appropriate.

I like the idea then of trying to acquire OT-Conklin in FA, and maybe NCB- Chris Harris along with 2nd tier DLinemen. I'd personally have no problems letting Britt go and drafting an OC early along with a WR. The balance of the interior OLine seems to have potentially good depth at present. The RB will come in the draft, and Pn'J have been good at finding their types of guys there.

OP
OP
Appyhawk

Appyhawk

Reaction score
I was cruising around on Seahawks.com today in the wake of the Olsen signing and came across a tweet from BRITT, who appeared to be doing some lifting in the Seahawk weightroom. He looked great in the pic he posted.
If Britt is already doing off season conditioning work I gotta think he's gonna be available. If he's available at a proper price, wouldn't that have a certain effect on our priorities list of needs?
From QB perspective, there isn't much you want more than a center you are comfy with and trust. I'm guessing there is no other center Russ would name that he would prefer to Britt.
ERK3plWU0AAYEWpformatjpgname900x900
ERK3plYUEAAHWtSformatjpgname900x900
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Seahawks/status/1230247580690305024[/tweet]