DL Draft History - Is this worse than league average

stang233

Reaction score
Here is a list of DL/DE that John and Pete have drafted. It looks like to me that only two of these players are still in the NFL and are true contributors. Argument could be made fro Jefferson and Marsh. But overall nothing more than a backup. It looks like they have a 13 percent chance of drafting a starter on the DL. I wonder what the league average is to draft a starting DLineman.

Malik Mcdowell
Nazir Jones
Jaren Reed
Quinteen Jefferson
(DE) Frank Clark
Kristan Skokoli
(DE) Cassius Marsh
Jimmy Staten
Jordan Hill
Jessie Williams
Ty Powell
Jordan Smith
Jay Howard
Lazarius Levingston
EJ Wilson

12th Dimension

Reaction score
I think your #’s are off a little. Some(1) were drafted specifically to be converted to OL and you forgot Sweezy. Also, the round selected needs to be factored in. I would think most are 4th round or later, with a couple of 2’s and 3’s sprinkled in. The huge miss though is Malik McDowell. It’s open for debate where the blame lies for that, so I’m not going there. As long as the process is being continuously refined to improve future results and we have learned not to make the same mistakes, I’m ok with it.

To answer your ?, I think you would need the round for each x the hit rate associated with each round. You also need some sort of time factor or at least the avg. career length of DL due to the time span your looking at.

I can tell you this, we’ve done better in FA than the draft but I think that’s true for most line position groups.

BASF

Reaction score
stang233":16ii0m5t said:
Here is a list of DL/DE that John and Pete have drafted. It looks like to me that only two of these players are still in the NFL and are true contributors. Argument could be made fro Jefferson and Marsh. But overall nothing more than a backup. It looks like they have a 13 percent chance of drafting a starter on the DL. I wonder what the league average is to draft a starting DLineman.

Malik Mcdowell
naz** Jones
Jaren Reed
Quinteen Jefferson
(DE) Frank Clark
Kristan Skokoli
(DE) Cassius Marsh
Jimmy Staten
Jordan Hill
Jessie Williams
Ty Powell
Jordan Smith
Jay Howard
Lazarius Levingston
EJ Wilson

This is is not position specific, but it should answer some questions about Seahawks success rate. https://overthecap.com/looking-at-nfl-draft-success-since-2015/

QuahHawk

Reaction score
They suck at Drafting DL but we have done good in FA and trades

Bennett
Avril
McDougal
Branch
Clowney
Clemons