Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Centurylink Field Is Now Cashless.

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Centurylink Field Is Now Cashless.
Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:25 pm

• SEATTLE, Wash – In an effort to boost guest experience through faster lines and more efficient sales processes, CenturyLink Field announced today a transition to cashless operations for sales transactions at the stadium, the CenturyLink Field Event Center and WAMU Theater. All concessions, retail and on-site parking will now only accept credit, debit and prepaid cards.

Following several other stadiums and event centers that have seen success with a cashless model, transitioning to card-only operations will allow for more efficient sales processes by removing cash handling duties and speeding up transaction times.

For visitors who don’t have debit or credit cards, or prefer to use cash, 10 cash-to-card ReadySTATION® kiosks will be located throughout the stadium and event center. These self-service kiosks are free to use and quickly and easily convert as little as $1 cash onto a prepaid card, which can be used anywhere inside or outside the stadium, including anywhere major cards are accepted.
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Re: Centurylink Field Is Now Cashless.
Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:36 pm
  • I spent my last dollars there in early 2008 so, they can suck it. I helped build the place and was happy to attend almost every game for 8 years but I'm glad the prices they charge for $h!t there now are in my rear view mirror.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:45 pm
  • Im married, and cashless also
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:14 pm
  • Next phase a micro chip in your hand.

This forces you into a data base to track your spending by the cards if your into that sort of thing.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:49 pm
  • I can only imagine how well this will work out the first time they have a POS system or network crash, lol.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:57 pm
  • 2_0_6 wrote:Im married, and cashless also

I literally LOL'd. Post of the week.
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:26 pm
  • I used cash at the game as my debit card doesnt work in the US and I always seem to get shafted on exchange rates on my credit card. Until the Seahawks have a couple losing seasons to drop ticket prices and our $h!t dollar comes up I probably have to watch from home...unless it's a home playoff game then I'll bite the bullet.
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:53 pm
  • I honestly never understood why establishments do this. I know the Tampa Bay Rays were the first pro sports team who did this. Sometimes cash is the best way for people to spend their money. It's just a poor way of thinking. Money is money.
    GLio14
    NET Rookie

Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:39 pm
  • GLio14 wrote:I honestly never understood why establishments do this. I know the Tampa Bay Rays were the first pro sports team who did this. Sometimes cash is the best way for people to spend their money. It's just a poor way of thinking. Money is money.

Speed of transaction, not having to teach employees to count, and less chance of theft.
    Osprey
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:58 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I can only imagine how well this will work out the first time they have a POS system or network crash, lol.

Welcome to AWS based platforms, redundancy, elastic balancing, all provided to companies at a much higher request rate than an NFL Stadium per game... oh and welcome to 2020. All of these services THIS forum should be using at a much lesser cost currently.

DevOps makes the world go round now a days ;)
    balakoth
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:00 pm
  • GLio14 wrote:I honestly never understood why establishments do this. I know the Tampa Bay Rays were the first pro sports team who did this. Sometimes cash is the best way for people to spend their money. It's just a poor way of thinking. Money is money.

In all honesty.. understand what?

Most services are cloud based, paper "cash" has literally no monetary value just like a credit card debt, as we cannot even cover our own currency in gold, which it is based on.

tracking paper that has no value, vs numbers that have no value, saves money and expenses and makes accounting that much easier.

Everyone hates the 21st century I swear.

IE: This should save everyone in "money" in the end. Period via prices etc.
    balakoth
    NET Practice Squad

Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:04 am
  • So let me get this right,

They have machine's that take cash and give you a gift card per se?

So I'm guessing, you spend $29.00 and you cannot get that $1.00 back, I'm just guessing that will be the case, cause I doubt you will be able to use it anywhere else.

SCAM.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:16 am
  • balakoth wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:I can only imagine how well this will work out the first time they have a POS system or network crash, lol.

Welcome to AWS based platforms, redundancy, elastic balancing, all provided to companies at a much higher request rate than an NFL Stadium per game... oh and welcome to 2020. All of these services THIS forum should be using at a much lesser cost currently.

I'm an IT consultant with a decent amount of experience in deploying infrastructure in AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud Platform.

AWS networking sucks compared to Google's. Do some iperf testing between zones on beefy VMs and you'll see what I mean. Here's a snippet from my own testing at a client's request a few months back; orange shaded cells are AWS wins, blue shaded cells are GCP wins. Google has significantly faster throughput, and faster latency, to AWS instances to Europe over the PUBLIC INTERNET than AWS does to its own datacenters over its private network infrastructure, lmfao. A client wanted to know if it made financial sense to get rid of their expensive SD-WAN and take advantage of existing prioritized traffic between internal datacenters from the big cloud providers, and Google won that competition by a landslide.

Also, the AWS web interface is garbage and feels like it was made by a group of AWS engineers living in their moms' basements. There are intriguing reasons to use "cloud" for various situations, but it's a huge buzz word that MANY people fall victim to, where they think it's this magical unicorn panacea of awesomesauce that cures all their ills.

You virtually never go to the cloud to save money. That's pretty much a hard and fast rule. If you save considerable money by going to the cloud, it means what you were doing on-prem was bloated garbage. My boss at work has a saying he uses for this, when we get clients asking if it makes sense to move all their stuff to "the cloud". He says yeah we can rub some cloud on it and make it all better, then explains that in most cases it doesn't make sense to move most stuff to "the cloud".

Annnnnnnd I'll finish with this:

RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:32 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I can only imagine how well this will work out the first time they have a POS system or network crash, lol.

Did you think if they used cash you got a hand written receipt?
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:34 am
  • UK_Seahawk wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:I can only imagine how well this will work out the first time they have a POS system or network crash, lol.

Who cares about getting a receipt for a couple beers and some nachos at an NFL game? Mobile ordering where you order on your phone and enter your seat number, and it tells you which window (near your seat location) to run up to so you can just grab your stuff and run back to your seat is what every stadium should have already.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:56 am
  • You guys are nuts. I almost never carry cash anymore.
    KiwiHawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:15 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    UK_Seahawk wrote:

Who cares about getting a receipt for a couple beers and some nachos at an NFL game? Mobile ordering where you order on your phone and enter your seat number, and it tells you which window (near your seat location) to run up to so you can just grab your stuff and run back to your seat is what every stadium should have already.

I dont disagree but it was you that mentioned epos failures when clearly none of what you have suggested mitigates that.
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:04 am
  • KiwiHawk wrote:You guys are nuts. I almost never carry cash anymore.

I sometimes have some on me but I never tend to use it. It takes longer, and then I end up with change. And if I use that change, it will take even longer next time.

It's entertaining watching people rage against card only when I get pissy because some place is cash only.

Do you spend much time out of Auckland? When I was there last year I didn't have any issues but when I went to Wellington last year it seemed too easy to find places that would only take cash.
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:06 am
  • KiwiHawk wrote:You guys are nuts. I almost never carry cash anymore.

I'm with you. I pay by card everywhere I go. Hate carrying change. Hate collecting change. Hate rolling change to return to the bank. Cashless is a big win.

That being said, I almost never buy anything at the stadium because the prices are absurd. I eat before I enter and on the way home from Seattle in Bellingham. If anything I might buy a beverage.
    Mad Dog
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:08 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    balakoth wrote:

I'm an IT consultant with a decent amount of experience in deploying infrastructure in AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud Platform.

AWS networking sucks compared to Google's. Do some iperf testing between zones on beefy VMs and you'll see what I mean. Here's a snippet from my own testing at a client's request a few months back; orange shaded cells are AWS wins, blue shaded cells are GCP wins. Google has significantly faster throughput, and faster latency, to AWS instances to Europe over the PUBLIC INTERNET than AWS does to its own datacenters over its private network infrastructure, lmfao. A client wanted to know if it made financial sense to get rid of their expensive SD-WAN and take advantage of existing prioritized traffic between internal datacenters from the big cloud providers, and Google won that competition by a landslide.

Also, the AWS web interface is garbage and feels like it was made by a group of AWS engineers living in their moms' basements. There are intriguing reasons to use "cloud" for various situations, but it's a huge buzz word that MANY people fall victim to, where they think it's this magical unicorn panacea of awesomesauce that cures all their ills.

You virtually never go to the cloud to save money. That's pretty much a hard and fast rule. If you save considerable money by going to the cloud, it means what you were doing on-prem was bloated garbage. My boss at work has a saying he uses for this, when we get clients asking if it makes sense to move all their stuff to "the cloud". He says yeah we can rub some cloud on it and make it all better, then explains that in most cases it doesn't make sense to move most stuff to "the cloud".

It's been years since I was at AWS, but I am comfortably certain that the only private connectivity between AWS regions is for their inter-region S3 data transfer service and Cloudfront, meaning you are mainly just testing the performance of the open internet. Pings alone are pointless without bidirectional traceroute results. I'm unsure what application you are running that depends on reliable, low latency, intercontinental connectivity over the open internet, but if it's something people depend upon to make money, they're going to have a bad time. Just ask my previous employer, who quite literally tanked because they thought it would be fine to just use the Internet to backhaul critical, latency-sensitive data from the far reaching corners of the globe, to their Hadoop cluster in a Tukwila datacenter.

AWS was never designed for inter-regional network performance. If that's what you're trying to do, you're doing it wrong. The "proper" way to do a regional architecture in AWS is through creating environments in each region you're active, and steering traffic to them through an anycast DNS service. They do it that way in AWS, because it's the way Amazon has done it, for their own purposes, for the past 15 years or so.

The cloud is cheaper for small environments that can't justify the cost of an edge presence at an Equinix or InterXion facility. The downside is that, indeed, the cloud is someone else's computer, and you better believe your data is not safe from the prying eyes of corporate and government spies both foreign and domestic.
    SmokinHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:20 am
  • Cards? Who uses cards anymore? Hopefully they are set up for mobile payments.

chris98251 wrote:Next phase a micro chip in your hand.

This forces you into a data base to track your spending by the cards if your into that sort of thing.

If you don't want your spending tracked, there are always prepaid cards. The kiosks at the stadium don't charge transaction fees.

http://www.centurylinkfield.com/cashless/

With no transaction fees, I predict a fairly robust secondary market for these cards.
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:26 am
  • Once heard a story about a guy that was mugged at a football stadium. The thief took his hot dog and soda, but did not even bother with his wallet.
    Nunya
    NET Bench Warmer

Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:29 am
  • I tried paying for something with a $100 bill the other day and the cashier looked at me like I had a gun in my hand
    Tsixx
    NET Bench Warmer

Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:49 am
  • 2_0_6 wrote:Im married, and cashless also

HAHAHA
    Sac
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:08 am
  • I'm sure this move will certainly boost tax collections.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:12 am
  • I'd say about once per year I have to use cash someplace because their POS system isn't working. It's rare, but it happens. I always keep some cash in my wallet as an emergency backup. Seems stupid not to, IMO.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:04 pm
  • SmokinHawk wrote:It's been years since I was at AWS, but I am comfortably certain that the only private connectivity between AWS regions is for their inter-region S3 data transfer service and Cloudfront, meaning you are mainly just testing the performance of the open internet. Pings alone are pointless without bidirectional traceroute results. I'm unsure what application you are running that depends on reliable, low latency, intercontinental connectivity over the open internet, but if it's something people depend upon to make money, they're going to have a bad time. Just ask my previous employer, who quite literally tanked because they thought it would be fine to just use the Internet to backhaul critical, latency-sensitive data from the far reaching corners of the globe, to their Hadoop cluster in a Tukwila datacenter.

AWS was never designed for inter-regional network performance. If that's what you're trying to do, you're doing it wrong. The "proper" way to do a regional architecture in AWS is through creating environments in each region you're active, and steering traffic to them through an anycast DNS service. They do it that way in AWS, because it's the way Amazon has done it, for their own purposes, for the past 15 years or so.

The cloud is cheaper for small environments that can't justify the cost of an edge presence at an Equinix or InterXion facility. The downside is that, indeed, the cloud is someone else's computer, and you better believe your data is not safe from the prying eyes of corporate and government spies both foreign and domestic.

You're saying traffic between internal VPCs you've setup in say, Oregon and London, is a tunnel over the public Internet? I find that hard to believe. I would think AWS pays for their own transatlantic fiber access to push that traffic over, no? Also, the screenshot I posted is just some of the testing. The raw throughput GCP can push is so far beyond what I can push from any EC2 instance though, it's ridiculous.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:12 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I'd say about once per year I have to use cash someplace because their POS system isn't working. It's rare, but it happens. I always keep some cash in my wallet as an emergency backup. Seems stupid not to, IMO.

Yep. I always have cash in my wallet as well, both as an emergency backup and because there are still some businesses that are cash only. For example, my regular barber shop and backup barber shop are both cash only.

I also like having the option of being to throw some cash down on the table at a bar or restaurant and being on my way instead of having to wait for the server to grab my card, ring it up, and then bring my card back.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:22 pm
  • I am generally cashless BUT my issue is how pathetic the ticketless entry thing worked out. Lines were TERRIBLE. So the implementation of this is going to also be rough for a while. They want efficient concessions, maybe more organization on food and having supply ready for half time. I can’t tell you how often I saw people waiting for something then someone comes in and buys it right as it was ready and they got it handed to them first. that’s the real issue slowing down concessions not cash.
    ZagHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:51 pm
  • Chapow wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:I'd say about once per year I have to use cash someplace because their POS system isn't working. It's rare, but it happens. I always keep some cash in my wallet as an emergency backup. Seems stupid not to, IMO.

Yep. I always have cash in my wallet as well, both as an emergency backup and because there are still some businesses that are cash only. For example, my regular barber shop and backup barber shop are both cash only.

I also like having the option of being to throw some cash down on the table at a bar or restaurant and being on my way instead of having to wait for the server to grab my card, ring it up, and then bring my card back.

I also do this once in a great while if someone I'm at a restaurant or bar with leaves a crappy tip; I'll toss a few extra bucks on the table if I think the service warranted it.

Anyone who says cash isn't needed at all anymore...well, it is; just not commonly, and rather situationally.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:17 pm
  • always gotta keep cash on hand for weed!
    Rule
    NET Bench Warmer

Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:13 pm
  • It takes longer to use a card then to hand them a 20 and have them count back a dollar and some change, problem I see is most cashiers don't have the skills to do the math or even look at the registers and count it these days so it takes longer. To many need to have a calculator to do basic skills.

Insert card, have cashier hit their button, you have to enter a pin or if credit have it processed and enter a zip, card has to be approved you wait and wait sometimes, cashier has to see approval, then hand you your merchandise and receipt if you wish, many don't even ask if you want it and you have to ask them.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:56 pm
  • At first glance at this thread title I thought they changed the name of the stadium! :roll: :lol:
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:21 am
  • It's not the payment method that slows things down. Its the people behind the counter. And if someone orders a beer, they still have to dig in their wallet and get their id out regardless of how old they are.

Last time I braved the concessions at a game was when my girlfriend wanted pepperoni pizza. I walked up to pizza hut just as the last one was pulled off the shelf (there were at least a dozen cheese pizzas left) told them I'd wait, after waiting nearly half an hour, and missing half the third quarter I was finally presented with a box. I grabbed it and hustled back to my seats only to watch her unbox a cheese pizza. She still swears I did it on purpose, haha. Now I make sure eat enough before the game and skip the concessions all together. Tailgating food is way better and way cheaper anyway!!
    SEAHAWKBLITZ
    NET Practice Squad

Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:58 am
  • As pointed out in the thread, payment processing, be it cash, card, or mobile, isn't the thing that delays concessions. There are a lot of benefits to going cashless, but all of those benefits are for the retailer. They have to balance loss of sales, to customers who only bring cash, against these benefits.

If throughput is the goal, then they need to work to eliminate the bottlenecks. Ordering is probably the biggest bottleneck because, no matter how limited you make the menu, you will always have the customers that bog the entire system down, by waiting until they are at the register to figure out their order.

You may have 10 people in line who have their order completely figured out, but there will always be that one moron that gets to the register, and then calls to get orders from his buddies who are in the restroom or in their seats. Then there is the other moron who just can't bothered to read the board, and decide, until he is at the register.

Mobile and/or kiosk ordering, a la Panera, solves this issue. By the time I arrive at Panera, I have my order ready to go, I just need to select a table, enter it into the app, and submit. (I still don't understand why I can't submit the order before I get there, then append a table number after I arrive ¯\_(ツ)_/¯) The ordering line is reserved for the clueless and the technophobes.

I love Roland's idea of mobile ordering from your seat, then notifying you when it is almost done. Of course, you will have the people who will order from the wrong concessions stand if you do this. You can certainly reduce error by starting the ordering process by asking for your location, then listing concessions by distance from that location.
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:43 am
  • chris98251 wrote:It takes longer to use a card then to hand them a 20 and have them count back a dollar and some change...

This has definitely NOT been my experience.

...problem I see is most cashiers don't have the skills to do the math or even look at the registers and count it these days so it takes longer. To many need to have a calculator to do basic skills.

Insert card, have cashier hit their button, you have to enter a pin or if credit have it processed and enter a zip, card has to be approved you wait and wait sometimes, cashier has to see approval, then hand you your merchandise and receipt if you wish, many don't even ask if you want it and you have to ask them.

That whole process takes less than 30 seconds if the system is functioning properly.

Chapow
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:14 pm
  • bmorepunk wrote:
    KiwiHawk wrote:You guys are nuts. I almost never carry cash anymore.

I sometimes have some on me but I never tend to use it. It takes longer, and then I end up with change. And if I use that change, it will take even longer next time.

It's entertaining watching people rage against card only when I get pissy because some place is cash only.

Do you spend much time out of Auckland? When I was there last year I didn't have any issues but when I went to Wellington last year it seemed too easy to find places that would only take cash.

I moved here in 2003 and spent a couple of years in Palmerston North before moving to Auckland. I work for a Wellington-based company that supports software programmed in Napier, my best mate lives in Nelson, and my wife's olds live in Tauranga, so I do get out of Auckland quite a bit to those various places.

Still, I almost never carry cash, and when I do it seems my wife or daughter need it for something so it goes away. My first real need for cash, probably since I've been here, was this morning when my daughter needed cash to pay her for her Aikido class.

The middle console of my car is my change dump. I probably have $20 worth of coins in there. I use coins even less often than I use cash.
    KiwiHawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:48 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    UK_Seahawk wrote:

Roland, you said yourself that AWS specifically does not save money. I'll go one farther and say that "cloud" platforms, even as broadly defined and analog a credit-card platform is--are intended explicitly to get more money out of customers.

If you are using a debit or prepaid, you are not under the Fair Credit and Reporting Act of 1973. That means that you can't appeal if a vendor takes $800 out of your DC for beer and nachos, where you can for a CC.

Not everyone has credit cards, not everyone wants credit cards, and certainly they should not be a prerequisite to your spending your money safely.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:06 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I'd say about once per year I have to use cash someplace because their POS system isn't working. It's rare, but it happens. I always keep some cash in my wallet as an emergency backup. Seems stupid not to, IMO.

I'd say about 5 times at a Chipotle near me their system has been down so they give me the meal free. Sometimes it pays not to carry cash
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:09 pm
  • therealjohncarlson wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:I'd say about once per year I have to use cash someplace because their POS system isn't working. It's rare, but it happens. I always keep some cash in my wallet as an emergency backup. Seems stupid not to, IMO.

I'd say about 5 times at a Chipotle near me their system has been down so they give me the meal free. Sometimes it pays not to carry cash

I'd say it's risky eating at Chipotle that frequently, considering their propensity for E. coli, salmonella, and norovirus over and over again. :)
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

It is currently Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:48 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information