Centurylink Field Is Now Cashless.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/CenturyLink_Fld/status/1226992220995063808[/tweet]

SEATTLE, Wash – In an effort to boost guest experience through faster lines and more efficient sales processes, CenturyLink Field announced today a transition to cashless operations for sales transactions at the stadium, the CenturyLink Field Event Center and WAMU Theater. All concessions, retail and on-site parking will now only accept credit, debit and prepaid cards.

Following several other stadiums and event centers that have seen success with a cashless model, transitioning to card-only operations will allow for more efficient sales processes by removing cash handling duties and speeding up transaction times.

For visitors who don’t have debit or credit cards, or prefer to use cash, 10 cash-to-card ReadySTATION® kiosks will be located throughout the stadium and event center. These self-service kiosks are free to use and quickly and easily convert as little as $1 cash onto a prepaid card, which can be used anywhere inside or outside the stadium, including anywhere major cards are accepted.

Largent80

Reaction score
I spent my last dollars there in early 2008 so, they can suck it. I helped build the place and was happy to attend almost every game for 8 years but I'm glad the prices they charge for shit there now are in my rear view mirror.

chris98251

Reaction score
Next phase a micro chip in your hand.

This forces you into a data base to track your spending by the cards if your into that sort of thing.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I can only imagine how well this will work out the first time they have a POS system or network crash, lol.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I used cash at the game as my debit card doesnt work in the US and I always seem to get shafted on exchange rates on my credit card. Until the Seahawks have a couple losing seasons to drop ticket prices and our shitty dollar comes up I probably have to watch from home...unless it's a home playoff game then I'll bite the bullet.

GLio14

Reaction score
I honestly never understood why establishments do this. I know the Tampa Bay Rays were the first pro sports team who did this. Sometimes cash is the best way for people to spend their money. It's just a poor way of thinking. Money is money.

Osprey

Reaction score
GLio14":1utq07f0 said:
I honestly never understood why establishments do this. I know the Tampa Bay Rays were the first pro sports team who did this. Sometimes cash is the best way for people to spend their money. It's just a poor way of thinking. Money is money.
Speed of transaction, not having to teach employees to count, and less chance of theft.

balakoth

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2e7uzdbc said:
I can only imagine how well this will work out the first time they have a POS system or network crash, lol.

Welcome to AWS based platforms, redundancy, elastic balancing, all provided to companies at a much higher request rate than an NFL Stadium per game... oh and welcome to 2020. All of these services THIS forum should be using at a much lesser cost currently.

DevOps makes the world go round now a days ;)

balakoth

Reaction score
GLio14":13jvnahr said:

In all honesty.. understand what?

Most services are cloud based, paper "cash" has literally no monetary value just like a credit card debt, as we cannot even cover our own currency in gold, which it is based on.

tracking paper that has no value, vs numbers that have no value, saves money and expenses and makes accounting that much easier.

Everyone hates the 21st century I swear.

IE: This should save everyone in "money" in the end. Period via prices etc.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
So let me get this right,

They have machine's that take cash and give you a gift card per se?

So I'm guessing, you spend $29.00 and you cannot get that $1.00 back, I'm just guessing that will be the case, cause I doubt you will be able to use it anywhere else.

SCAM.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
balakoth":1sf7xgmp said:
RolandDeschain":1sf7xgmp said:

Welcome to AWS based platforms, redundancy, elastic balancing, all provided to companies at a much higher request rate than an NFL Stadium per game... oh and welcome to 2020. All of these services THIS forum should be using at a much lesser cost currently.

I'm an IT consultant with a decent amount of experience in deploying infrastructure in AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud Platform.

AWS networking sucks compared to Google's. Do some iperf testing between zones on beefy VMs and you'll see what I mean. Here's a snippet from my own testing at a client's request a few months back; orange shaded cells are AWS wins, blue shaded cells are GCP wins. Google has significantly faster throughput, and faster latency, to AWS instances to Europe over the PUBLIC INTERNET than AWS does to its own datacenters over its private network infrastructure, lmfao. A client wanted to know if it made financial sense to get rid of their expensive SD-WAN and take advantage of existing prioritized traffic between internal datacenters from the big cloud providers, and Google won that competition by a landslide.

Also, the AWS web interface is garbage and feels like it was made by a group of AWS engineers living in their moms' basements. There are intriguing reasons to use "cloud" for various situations, but it's a huge buzz word that MANY people fall victim to, where they think it's this magical unicorn panacea of awesomesauce that cures all their ills.

You virtually never go to the cloud to save money. That's pretty much a hard and fast rule. If you save considerable money by going to the cloud, it means what you were doing on-prem was bloated garbage. My boss at work has a saying he uses for this, when we get clients asking if it makes sense to move all their stuff to "the cloud". He says yeah we can rub some cloud on it and make it all better, then explains that in most cases it doesn't make sense to move most stuff to "the cloud".

Aws networking vs gcp

Annnnnnnd I'll finish with this:

l-52666-what-if-i-told-you-the-cloud-is-just-someone-elses-computer.jpg

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2ddd6ofd said:
Did you think if they used cash you got a hand written receipt?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":3a097cdr said:
RolandDeschain":3a097cdr said:
Who cares about getting a receipt for a couple beers and some nachos at an NFL game? Mobile ordering where you order on your phone and enter your seat number, and it tells you which window (near your seat location) to run up to so you can just grab your stuff and run back to your seat is what every stadium should have already.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":y0i57h5s said:
UK_Seahawk":y0i57h5s said:
RolandDeschain":y0i57h5s said:
Who cares about getting a receipt for a couple beers and some nachos at an NFL game? Mobile ordering where you order on your phone and enter your seat number, and it tells you which window (near your seat location) to run up to so you can just grab your stuff and run back to your seat is what every stadium should have already.
I dont disagree but it was you that mentioned epos failures when clearly none of what you have suggested mitigates that.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":12ah9rra said:
You guys are nuts. I almost never carry cash anymore.

I sometimes have some on me but I never tend to use it. It takes longer, and then I end up with change. And if I use that change, it will take even longer next time.

It's entertaining watching people rage against card only when I get pissy because some place is cash only.

Do you spend much time out of Auckland? When I was there last year I didn't have any issues but when I went to Wellington last year it seemed too easy to find places that would only take cash.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":1felv3ao said:
You guys are nuts. I almost never carry cash anymore.

I'm with you. I pay by card everywhere I go. Hate carrying change. Hate collecting change. Hate rolling change to return to the bank. Cashless is a big win.

That being said, I almost never buy anything at the stadium because the prices are absurd. I eat before I enter and on the way home from Seattle in Bellingham. If anything I might buy a beverage.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":54su84ar said:
balakoth":54su84ar said:
RolandDeschain":54su84ar said:

I'm an IT consultant with a decent amount of experience in deploying infrastructure in AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud Platform.

AWS networking sucks compared to Google's. Do some iperf testing between zones on beefy VMs and you'll see what I mean. Here's a snippet from my own testing at a client's request a few months back; orange shaded cells are AWS wins, blue shaded cells are GCP wins. Google has significantly faster throughput, and faster latency, to AWS instances to Europe over the PUBLIC INTERNET than AWS does to its own datacenters over its private network infrastructure, lmfao. A client wanted to know if it made financial sense to get rid of their expensive SD-WAN and take advantage of existing prioritized traffic between internal datacenters from the big cloud providers, and Google won that competition by a landslide.

Also, the AWS web interface is garbage and feels like it was made by a group of AWS engineers living in their moms' basements. There are intriguing reasons to use "cloud" for various situations, but it's a huge buzz word that MANY people fall victim to, where they think it's this magical unicorn panacea of awesomesauce that cures all their ills.

You virtually never go to the cloud to save money. That's pretty much a hard and fast rule. If you save considerable money by going to the cloud, it means what you were doing on-prem was bloated garbage. My boss at work has a saying he uses for this, when we get clients asking if it makes sense to move all their stuff to "the cloud". He says yeah we can rub some cloud on it and make it all better, then explains that in most cases it doesn't make sense to move most stuff to "the cloud".

It's been years since I was at AWS, but I am comfortably certain that the only private connectivity between AWS regions is for their inter-region S3 data transfer service and Cloudfront, meaning you are mainly just testing the performance of the open internet. Pings alone are pointless without bidirectional traceroute results. I'm unsure what application you are running that depends on reliable, low latency, intercontinental connectivity over the open internet, but if it's something people depend upon to make money, they're going to have a bad time. Just ask my previous employer, who quite literally tanked because they thought it would be fine to just use the Internet to backhaul critical, latency-sensitive data from the far reaching corners of the globe, to their Hadoop cluster in a Tukwila datacenter.

AWS was never designed for inter-regional network performance. If that's what you're trying to do, you're doing it wrong. The "proper" way to do a regional architecture in AWS is through creating environments in each region you're active, and steering traffic to them through an anycast DNS service. They do it that way in AWS, because it's the way Amazon has done it, for their own purposes, for the past 15 years or so.

The cloud is cheaper for small environments that can't justify the cost of an edge presence at an Equinix or InterXion facility. The downside is that, indeed, the cloud is someone else's computer, and you better believe your data is not safe from the prying eyes of corporate and government spies both foreign and domestic.