Should LB Mychal Kendricks be resigned?.

Should LB Mychal Kendricks be resigned?

• Yes

Votes: 36 58.1%
  • No

Votes: 15 24.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 11 17.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I'm against keeping Kendricks, especially as a starter, because of his legal situation. He has already been convicted, and while we were lucky last season with the delay of his sentencing, that sentencing will not be delayed forever.

chris98251

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":d0rumal4 said:
I'm against keeping Kendricks, especially as a starter, because of his legal situation. He has already been convicted, and while we were lucky last season with the delay of his sentencing, that sentencing will not be delayed forever.

Better strengthen that soap box, you have been hitting on him since he showed up, if he was a star at the fair there would be hardly any paper left.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Hey Chris, I know my stance irritates you, but can you give some refutation beyond making it about me?

All I've said here is that there's not legal risk--there is legal certainty. He was OKish last season but not outstanding, certainly not to risk disruption in the actual season.

Why do you feel we should keep him?

Jville

Reaction score
I would think the Seahawks counsel will offer an opinion on Kendricks legal status. And, that will be a factor in any offer for 2020.

But, with regards to his play on the field, I can see Mychal Kendricks as a significant contributor in 2020. I thought he played hard in 2019 and I liked his mobility.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I voted no. Time to bring somebody young to that spot or go a different route on free agency.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I voted yes because the guy plays his heart out and while he may
not be the best he sets an example on the field for the younger ones.
Leading by example is a lost art these days and it can't be measured
by combine times ect.
All that legal crap is over.He paid every cent back and admitted he was
wrong like a real man would do.

AgentDib

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":igb5lw1h said:
All I've said here is that there's not legal risk--there is legal certainty. He was OKish last season but not outstanding, certainly not to risk disruption in the actual season.
Risk implies there is a consequence. Some disruptions are problematic but this doesn't seem like one of them.

Kendricks by all reports has been great in the locker room and a mentor to the younger LBs. He's not a risk to disrupt team chemistry.

Any contract we offer would certainly be hedged against the possibility of missed games. He's not a risk against the salary cap.

Our front office is paid to deal with roster disruptions in the course of scraping and clawing for any advantage we can get. Dealing with a player facing legal problems undoubtedly requires some effort on their part, but if it makes the roster better I think that's the kind of headache they actively pursue.

How would you feel about us signing Josh Gordon again?

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
My original reply got borked by the DB malfunction so here it is again:

Yeah. I'd invite Gordon back. In fact, if we can sign him and pay him zero and have no roster or salary issues until his issues with NFL are resolved, it's a zero risk for us.

Whereas with Kendricks, it's not a risk. It's a certainty. Plus we have the younger and cheaper Barton behind him. I'm not against signing him possibly as a bridge piece closer to vet minimum necessarily, but it'll be inevitable that we have to move on from 30+ at this position.

12th Dimension

Reaction score
If he’s eligible and available to play for us, then yes, resign him on a team friendly deal. We have holes all over the place and I think it would be irresponsible to not bring back a starting caliber player. We’re close to SB contention, don’t go creating problems that don’t exist, IMHO. Do we need upgrades, Yes, was MK the cause of our issues, no.

getnasty

Reaction score
Should be able to get him cheap and then have one less postion to think about it. Not sure if the injury and legal trouble are gonna have him missing games but if he can play bring him back.

chris98251

Reaction score
He has some issues to resolve but has handled that stuff away from the field well, We probably should fire Pete based on SC's version of a reputable person on the Seahawks, With the USC scandal and losing scholarships and Reggie Bush and all that he is definitely a cancer to the team.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
It's not a morals issue, Chris. This guy unlike say Pete iis already CONVICTED in a federal court. Sentencing isn't a risk; it is a certainty. This is what applies, not his "bad personhood" if you will.

If we keep him, there needs to be awareness that he's going to be a situational piece only until the sentencing happens, which no one knows when it will. Like I said, it'd be OK to have him around if he's extremely cheap --cheaper than he now is--as he is a contributor. But it's a mistake to rely on him ATM.

AgentDib

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":35aq62yr said:
Yeah. I'd invite Gordon back. In fact, if we can sign him and pay him zero and have no roster or salary issues until his issues with NFL are resolved, it's a zero risk for us. Whereas with Kendricks, it's not a risk. It's a certainty.
I would suggest instead it is the same concept with both players and the main difference is that you simply like Gordon more - which is fine but a different discussion from the angle you are taking here. Consider that Kendricks likely has the higher expected snap count next season.

Josh Gordon may not play 16 games for us, but the possibility of him contributing in some key games next season is worth the potential organizational headache of pursuing him if the price is right. That logic applies equally to any player with potential injury/legal/substance concerns provided they do not negatively affect the locker room or involve a moral issue that the team views as a deal breaker regardless of performance.

BASF

Reaction score
My post got nuked in the outage, so I will put it here again, since it seems there are people who are ignoring his play on the field.

First major knock on him is missing tackles at a 21% clip. That is a lot of missed tackles and with only eight tackles for loss, it's not like he was missing tackles behind the line of scrimmage and not giving up a lot of yards behind him with guys being right there to get the ball carrier down.

Second knock on him is the poor pass defense. An 85.7% completion rate is unacceptable. A 104.4 passer rating allowed is unacceptable. Giving up 236 yards after catch is unacceptable.

Third knock on him is all but one of his splash plays (tackles for loss, sacks, forced fumbles, fumble recoveries and interceptions) came against opponents with losing records. Against superior competition he was pretty much just a body on the field.

Fourth is for a guy who is just a body on the field, he will have a higher than $3M cap hit, since he will probably want a bit of a bump in pay from last season. You can easily use that cap for improving other parts of the defense and using one of the younger LB's on the roster that has upside to play and hopefully flourish into the next great LB.

The Breh

Reaction score
BASF":1obaj5bf said:
My post got nuked in the outage, so I will put it here again, since it seems there are people who are ignoring his play on the field.

First major knock on him is missing tackles at a 21% clip. That is a lot of missed tackles and with only eight tackles for loss, it's not like he was missing tackles behind the line of scrimmage and not giving up a lot of yards behind him with guys being right there to get the ball carrier down.

Second knock on him is the poor pass defense. An 85.7% completion rate is unacceptable. A 104.4 passer rating allowed is unacceptable. Giving up 236 yards after catch is unacceptable.

Third knock on him is all but one of his splash plays (tackles for loss, sacks, forced fumbles, fumble recoveries and interceptions) came against opponents with losing records. Against superior competition he was pretty much just a body on the field.

Fourth is for a guy who is just a body on the field, he will have a higher than $3M cap hit, since he will probably want a bit of a bump in pay from last season. You can easily use that cap for improving other parts of the defense and using one of the younger LB's on the roster that has upside to play and hopefully flourish into the next great LB.
Whole lot of truth here.
An eye test should show how many blown plays that he was a part of.
Do we have anyone in the wings to play his role? BBK play that LB spot ? Could he be ready?
If the price is right tho, sure.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Cody Barton sits behind Kendricks. He didn't really get involved until late in the season but had eight tackles in the post season alone according to the stats below. BBK is mostly on ST and has three. Shaquem Griffin who now sits behind Cody also had three.

Cody or a player of his age is the long-term solution here. Again not saying don't sign Kendricks if he's super cheap and rolling on a no-guaranteed money deal in case we lose him in Week 2. Maybe we can parlay that out, and maybe we don't have to. Cody has already shown he performs in the postseason.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/39 ... ody-barton

BASF

Reaction score
Largent80":32qnbzvv said:
Mods, why was my post deleted?

It has been a standing rule for years here that if you have a question for the mods, you were to PM them. There is no reason for this type of post on the forum. Please remove it and I will remove mine.

Tical21

Reaction score
I kinda think the league has seen the last of Josh Gordon. Dude got suspended for the playoffs...and you want him back?