Seahawks continue tight end signing spree w Luke Wilson

Jville

Reaction score
1197975593.jpg.0.jpg

Seahawks continue tight end signing spree, bringing Luke Willson back >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.fieldgulls.com/2020/3/17/21183321/seattle-seahawks-resign-te-luke-willson-jacob-hollister-greg-olsen-will-dissly-ed-dickson[/urltargetblank]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MikeClayNFL/status/1239888792896536582[/tweet]

Could this be the year they carry 4 tight ends on the active roster?

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Interesting points made in linked article .....................
Seattle carried seven wide receivers for most of the 2019 campaign, and that’s two roster spots that will likely be allocated elsewhere next season now that younger players like DK Metcalf, David Moore and Malik Turner have another year of experience under their belt. Secondly, with the new CBA going into effect, roster expansion will give the team two additional spots for players, one of which could easily go towards a tight end. Lastly, Brian Schottenheimer’s Air Coryell offense uses the tight end extensively.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Considering how much they valued George Fant, & no longer on the roster, I don't think they want to get caught with their britches down, should another streak of injuries comes along.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I don't think they're necessarily done.

Many are expecting them to release Dickson. Olsen is 35 on a one year deal, along with Willson and Hollister. I haven't seen anything about an ERFA tender for Swoopes yet and he and Johnson look like depth/practice squad types. The only long-term piece right now is Dissly who has injury concerns.

It will surprise people if they draft another TE in April but it shouldn't.

sutz

Reaction score
I like this signing. He's a good player, and fairly versatile.

Oh, and it's two L's, dummy. :mrgreen:

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Jville":3ri2z5c1 said:
Interesting points made in linked article .....................
Seattle carried seven wide receivers for most of the 2019 campaign, and that’s two roster spots that will likely be allocated elsewhere next season now that younger players like DK Metcalf, David Moore and Malik Turner have another year of experience under their belt. Secondly, with the new CBA going into effect, roster expansion will give the team two additional spots for players, one of which could easily go towards a tight end. Lastly, Brian Schottenheimer’s Air Coryell offense uses the tight end extensively.

I don't think it is as easy to simply add Luke to the roster as the author is saying.

As I understand the changes proposed by the new CBA, the roster can only be expanded to 55 by promoting 2 players from the practice squad, which would only happen if there is serious injuries to a position group as you can only promote a PS player twice before risking them to the waiver wire. As Luke is a vet, he's not eligible for practice squad. Also the game day roster is increased to 48, but one of those has to be an OL.

All that said, it still comes down putting together the best 53 man roster. As the 4th string TE, he'll be fighting for a spot against all other position groups like any other year. I don't see the new rules helping him much.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Largent80":297on4ms said:
I still see them drafting a TE and I hope it's Hunter Bryant.

Would have to be a late pick

sutz

Reaction score
Largent80":35xm0cyb said:
I still see them drafting a TE and I hope it's Hunter Bryant.
Yeah, this doesn't really affect the draft strategy much. Perhaps takes some of the edge off the need at TE, or adds a bit of cover to it. ;)

AgentDib

Reaction score
Schotty wants to run a lot of 12 personnel. It seems normal to carry 4 RBs when only one is on the field at a time, but 4 TEs seems excessive when two are on the field at a time? Add in the age and injury issues in the group and I'd bet we go with 4 TEs. Luke will be competing for a job but for the fourth spot.

BigMeach

Reaction score
AgentDib":154tljyo said:
Schotty wants to run a lot of 12 personnel. It seems normal to carry 4 RBs when only one is on the field at a time, but 4 TEs seems excessive when two are on the field at a time? Add in the age and injury issues in the group and I'd bet we go with 4 TEs. Luke will be competing for a job but for the fourth spot.

Exactly my thought process... With the running game and play action off it being so important to this team, we can't be in a situation again where we are down to what amounts to 0 tight ends who can block and catch. We need to be deep at this position. I'm all for it.

John63

Reaction score
BigMeach":3dnxlpl8 said:
AgentDib":3dnxlpl8 said:

Exactly my thought process... With the running game and play action off it being so important to this team, we can't be in a situation again where we are down to what amounts to 0 tight ends who can block and catch. We need to be deep at this position. I'm all for it.

If this equates to the offense being run the same as last year it will not matter.

BigMeach

Reaction score
John63":3ecbp1d6 said:
BigMeach":3ecbp1d6 said:
AgentDib":3ecbp1d6 said:

If this equates to the offense being run the same as last year it will not matter.

Do you ever post something positive? I'm sure the Browns would love to have you...

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, makes you wonder why some people even watch. Being critical once in a while is one thing. Blasting your team 24/7 does get old. But fan how you want, it's just a message board.