When are we creating more capspace by cutting TT and LH?

GoGGell

Reaction score
Maybe I haven't realized it yet, but why is TT and LH still in our Roster???
I can't believe and understand why they are still on our cap list.
Is JS sleeping or is he making a contract marathon with Clowney???

The same thing for Dickson...
Would give us almost 8 million in cap space.

Any ideas?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's March 18th, Free Agency doesn't even start for 30 minutes (technically). There's months to go to get the roster together. Still have the draft coming up etc.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
GoGGell":16yx4wzp said:

Any ideas?
Several studies have linked procrastination to intelligence. Delaying decisions that do not need to be made immediately allows for additional analysis and information gathering. There is no urgency to make any of the roster decisions you have noted above. By delaying the decision, JS/PC are allowing time for events to unfold that may better inform their decisions.
From a Business Insider article, "some scientists would say that smart people procrastinate even on work they find meaningful. Wharton psychologist Adam Grant suggests that procrastination is key to innovation, and that Steve Jobs used it strategically."

Nunya

Reaction score
Sun Tzu":3f0e6pz0 said:
GoGGell":3f0e6pz0 said:

Any ideas?
Several studies have linked procrastination to intelligence. Delaying decisions that do not need to be made immediately allows for additional analysis and information gathering. There is no urgency to make any of the roster decisions you have noted above. By delaying the decision, JS/PC are allowing time for events to unfold that may better inform their decisions.
From a Business Insider article, "some scientists would say that smart people procrastinate even on work they find meaningful. Wharton psychologist Adam Grant suggests that procrastination is key to innovation, and that Steve Jobs used it strategically."

Dang....I'm a freaking genius then.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Don't freak out people.

Players don't have to be released ahead of time. Seattle is keeping guys, because they still have available cap space. There is no advantage to cutting these guys immediately right now. They can be cut the day we sign a player.

And even as the season rolls along -- there is no guarantee these particular guys are still going to be here once the season starts. After the UFA period transitions to post June 1 and even in TC, where cap casualties often occur -- these players can be cut then too in order to accommodate a street UFA later.

There is no advantage in creating a roster hole for the sake of available cap space. However, if one was so inclined to 'look between the lines', then pay attention to low budget additions (the positions they play). I'd say pay attention to the official visits but ...

Seattle tends to tip their hands in this way. If we have a bunch of safeties breeze through here for a cup of coffee -- that can foretell their feelings about a position group in general. Already we've seen this with the TE group. So I'd expect some movement there when it becomes necessary.

AgentDib

Reaction score
If we are 100% sure that we will be cutting a player it makes sense to do so immediately for the players sake, and our FO has shown that looking after the player's interest is an important factor to them.

As such, the reason that Britt, Thompson, Hill, and Dickson are currently on the team is that they still have a chance to make the final roster. That may only last until the next FA is signed or until the draft occurs, but for now the team isn't ruling that player out. If our depth/rookies/FA look like adequate replacements in training camp then moves can be made then.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Ian Rapoport reports:

Seattle #Seahawks starting free safety Tedric Thompson has been given permission to seek a trade, source said. Would likely be for a late-round draft pick.

Jville

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2ay1e3gi said:
Ian Rapoport reports:

Seattle #Seahawks starting free safety Tedric Thompson has been given permission to seek a trade, source said. Would likely be for a late-round draft pick.

I suspect TT played his way into an assignment trust issue with coaching staff. If that is the case, then a fresh start with another team would be his best option. The front office is really good at attending to player needs. Tedric Thompson has the talent and commitment to succeed. I think John Schneider can find a front office partner to make this happen.

Nunya

Reaction score
AgentDib":2k6thzdt said:
If we are 100% sure that we will be cutting a player it makes sense to do so immediately for the players sake, and our FO has shown that looking after the player's interest is an important factor to them.

As such, the reason that Britt, Thompson, Hill, and Dickson are currently on the team is that they still have a chance to make the final roster. That may only last until the next FA is signed or until the draft occurs, but for now the team isn't ruling that player out. If our depth/rookies/FA look like adequate replacements in training camp then moves can be made then.

Very seldom is any team 100% sure they will cut or release a player. They may be 99% sure, but seldom 100%. A player may have trade value or may be needed if they do not find a replacement.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
jammerhawk":epq1yzaw said:
Ian Rapoport reports:

There haven't been 30 rounds in the draft since 1950.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Bazzinga Grahamhawker!

Just reporting news.

T2 has been better by country mile than Lano Hill who seriously sucks, T2 has just not played the scheme the way he has been coached to and might do better in another system. He could find some interest somewhere but this appears a last ditch attempt the team has granted him before the axe falls. Hill is toast he just doesn't have the speed or the instincts, and is a weak tackler. None of which is good for S.

It's going to be time to cut bait soon.

chris98251

Reaction score
Permission to seek trade translates we give you a chance to find someone who wants you, if not your getting cut.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Yep!

Still think Thompson has some value though not much, but he doesn't fit our D. To me Hill is simply worthless and was a bad pick, can't stay healthy, is too slow, takes bad angles, and can't tackle. I'd keep Thompson over Hill but would prefer to simply move on.

Jville

Reaction score
Just a little follow up ...........................................................

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BradyHenderson/status/1240474719712718848[/tweet]

.............................................. I'd forgotten about that late season injury.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
jammerhawk":39rvu8fm said:
Bazzinga Grahamhawker!

Just reporting news.

T2 has been better by country mile than Lano Hill who seriously sucks, T2 has just not played the scheme the way he has been coached to and might do better in another system. He could find some interest somewhere but this appears a last ditch attempt the team has granted him before the axe falls. Hill is toast he just doesn't have the speed or the instincts, and is a weak tackler. None of which is good for S.

It's going to be time to cut bait soon.

Tedric Thompson has not been anywhere in the same solar system as being a good tackler. He's also given up far too many big plays at the point of catch for me to think it's a system issue. He might struggle in some different ways than Hill, but he still struggles. I'm frankly surprised there's a market for him, but hey, good for him.

Jville

Reaction score
I'd forgotten about his raise as well ................................................

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BradyHenderson/status/1240475015629295618[/tweet]

.............................................. that will make his contract less attractive.

kf3339

Reaction score
I honestly would have already cut both of them along with Dickson. What is the point of holding on to them when you can free up cap space.

Also, since PC talks about doing right by the players, wouldn't it be better to give them a chance to sign with another team now than later?

King Dog

Reaction score
jammerhawk":182fnwry said:
Ian Rapoport reports:

Thanks for the laugh. I needed that