next year comp picks

chrispy

Reaction score
I had been trying to keep track of FAs in and out, but just heard a clip from Brady Henderson on ESPN where he said there had been 9 signed. My understanding is that the team would need to lose more FAs than they sign in order to receive any comp picks. I know there are several FAs that are in holding pattern (most obviously JClowney) but I thought it might be worthwhile to try and track who's come and gone and which of those moves would play into comp picks. Anyone want to take a stab at it? I tried a first-pass at the end of the 2020 Comp Picks thread, but it's nowhere near 9 signings so I'm sure I'm way off....

BallHawk

Reaction score
Under the new CBA there was supposed to be a revision as to how Compensatory picks would be calculated although I’m not certain it made it into the new terms. Specifically, it had to deal with Core Veterans that signed one year deals and make less than $1.75m would not count toward the gains or losses when determining comp picks. Not sure if that applies to anyone thenSeahawks have signed because I haven’t been tracking what the new addition and losses have actually signed for.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
We have signed 5 lost 3. At this point I think it unlikely the Hawks have any comp picks in 2021.

ryank24

Reaction score
From https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/seattle-seahawks/:

Free agents lost:
Fant to Jets, $10MM per year
Quinton Jefferson to Bills, $6.75 MM per year
Al Woods to Jags, $2.75MM per year

Free Agents signed from other teams:
Brandon Shell, $5.5MM per year
BJ Finney, $4MM per year
Cedric Ogbuehi, $3.3MM per year
Phillip Dorsett, no contract details yet
Bruce Irvin, no contract details yet
Greg Olsen, $7MM per year (But he was cut by Carolina, so doesn't count against comp picks?)

Not sure if any of the other guys we signed were released, or if it was just Greg Olsen. We're at negative 2 it looks like, but the guys we lost so far are higher paid than the guys we brought in (depending on the Irvin and Dorsett contracts). Not sure how it all plays into the formula though.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
ryank24":2clal685 said:
From https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/seattle-seahawks/:

Free agents lost:
Fant to Jets, $10MM per year
Quinton Jefferson to Bills, $6.75 MM per year
Al Woods to Jags, $2.75MM per year

Free Agents signed from other teams:
Brandon Shell, $5.5MM per year
BJ Finney, $4MM per year
Cedric Ogbuehi, $3.3MM per year
Phillip Dorsett, no contract details yet
Bruce Irvin, no contract details yet
Greg Olsen, $7MM per year (But he was cut by Carolina, so doesn't count against comp picks?)

Not sure if any of the other guys we signed were released, or if it was just Greg Olsen. We're at negative 2 it looks like, but the guys we lost so far are higher paid than the guys we brought in (depending on the Irvin and Dorsett contracts). Not sure how it all plays into the formula though.

Thanks for the info. Keep posting! :2thumbs:

AgentDib

Reaction score
There are still 17 players that would contribute on our side of the equation if they were signed by another team before June 6th. Of those, Clowney and Ifedi are probable while another 10 or so are 50/50 coin flips. I would consider five highly unlikely (Gordon, Kendricks, Lynch, Turbin, Procise).

So far this off-season seems too much like 2018 to me and I'm on the skeptical side so far. However, they do still have plenty of time to pull everything together into a coherent plan.

OP
OP
chrispy

chrispy

Reaction score
So... Ifedi to the Bears makes us only 1 away from Break-even, right?

Jville

Reaction score
It's a little early for me but maybe this will assist your pursuit for information on the topic ..........................

>>> UFAs must be valued within the top 35% instead of the top 50% to qualify as compensatory free agents (CFAs).

In my opinion, this will be by far the most consequential change to the compensatory formula. This will result in far few players becoming CFAs due to a low Average Per Year (APY) or low snap counts. If this 35% rule was applied to the 2020 comp picks, contracts would have needed to have an APY of about $2.3 million (instead of about $1 million for the 50% threshold). Therefore, for 2021 I would guess that the APY cutoff qualification would be something around $2.5 million, give or take some range in both directions for snap count adjustments. That will give teams much more flexibility in signing UFAs without the risk of them becoming CFAs that would otherwise cancel out their higher valued CFAs lost. >>> [urltargetblank]https://overthecap.com/2021-compensatory-picks-potential-and-preview/[/urltargetblank]

If your interested in first hand details, they are spelled out in "Section 12. Compensatory Draft Selection: Subject to any future changes as to which the parties may agree, the provisions of Article 6, Subsection 2(a) and Subsection 10, and Appendix V of this Agreement shall govern the awarding of Compensatory Draft Selec-tions and Supplemental Selections"

Link to the PDF version of CBA >>> [urltargetblank]https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/media/Default/PDFs/Agents/NFL-NFLPA%20CBA%20March%205,%202020.pdf[/urltargetblank] <<< APPENDIX V COMPENSATORY DRAFT SYSTEM begins on page 399.

OP
OP
chrispy

chrispy

Reaction score
I saw this article this morning that addresses the specifics of the incoming players that might be on the edge of qualifying/not-qualifying in the comp pick's new formula. Seems like, with several still in limbo, there's a chance Seahawks may still benefit by comp picks in 2021.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2020/3/26/21 ... sett-qjeff

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Check here:

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-dra ... ion-chart/

Thus far, we have lost four:

Ifedi
Fant
Woods
Jefferson

and signed four:

Shell
Finney
Dorsett
Irvin

(to qualify, you have to have ended the season on a roster/IR AND have a contract value APY in the top 678 of the league).

Warmack doesn't count (not on active roster = Street UFA
Ogbuehi likely will count if reported contract is true (2.3M is 614th ranked salary). But not yet confirmed.

So it's likely we're at -1. Of course all of these players need to be on our roster/IR by week 10 when the comp pick qualifications are set.

Not sure I see Shell or Dorsett necessarily making the roster. Their deals are light on signing bonus and they feel like hedge signings that may end up losing out to draftees once Seattle gets into TC and sees how their prospects hold up.

RIght now, the correct way to look at Shell and Dorsett -- is that we paid market price for them and also traded a 5th round pick for them, since the Fant deal is firmly near the top of the 5th round range. When Ifedi's deal is finalized, that would mean both of them cost us a trade of a 5th/4th round pick respectively.