Phillip Dorsett 'can't wait' to play with Russell Wilson

ivotuk

Reaction score
A former first-round pick of the Colts, Dorsett hasn't lived up to such expectations. He has a new chance to carve out a potentially productive role in Seattle's receiving corps alongside young standouts Tyler Lockett and DK Metcalf.

And as with all things in the NFL, it all comes back to and starts with the quarterback. It's hard to say no to a contract offer from a team featuring Russell Wilson behind center.

"I personally believe he's the best deep-ball thrower in the NFL," Dorsett said of Wilson during an interview on 950 KJR. "You can see it week in and week out with DK and Tyler. I've been sitting back taking advantage of the NFL Game Pass, it's free, so I've been watching games and you can see it."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ell-wilson

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I'm sure he is happy to have a qb that can throw it longer than 10 yards..unlike his last qb.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Cyrus12":3pbjeq1z said:
I'm sure he is happy to have a qb that can throw it longer than 10 yards..unlike his last qb.
He had Andrew Luck in Indianapolis, and Tom Brady before his arm strength declined. He's had QBs that can sling the ball practically his whole career.

Phillip Dorsett is not a good wide receiver, that is all there is to it. The hype he gets around here is completely undue. I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't even on the roster come the start of the season depending on what happens in the draft.

Jville

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":4d5rucwq said:
Cyrus12":4d5rucwq said:
He had Andrew Luck in Indianapolis, and Tom Brady before his arm strength declined. He's had QBs that can sling the ball practically his whole career.

Phillip Dorsett is not a good wide receiver, that is all there is to it. The hype he gets around here is completely undue. I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't even on the roster come the start of the season depending on what happens in the draft.

Me thinks you protest too much :229031_shrug:

By my count, this is your 8th post in protest of the signing of Phillip Dorsett.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1u5uyakf said:
Cyrus12":1u5uyakf said:

What hype?

Andrew Luck was injured a lot. Mostly because he kept getting hammered behind a garbage offensive line.

He's an okay receiver, which is what you would expect from someone drafted at the end of the 1st round (29).

I think he's just not able to absorb big, complicated playbooks like New England has. There have been other wide receivers (Chad Johnson) who couldn't get the playbook and were subsequently dumped.

I find it interesting that New England kept him for 3 years. He must have shown something.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
ivotuk":a5m84s7k said:
Spin Doctor":a5m84s7k said:
Cyrus12":a5m84s7k said:

What hype?

Andrew Luck was injured a lot. Mostly because he kept getting hammered behind a garbage offensive line.

He's an okay receiver, which is what you would expect from someone drafted at the end of the 1st round (29).

I think he's just not able to absorb big, complicated playbooks like New England has. There have been other wide receivers (Chad Johnson) who couldn't get the playbook and were subsequently dumped.

I find it interesting that New England kept him for 3 years. He must have shown something.
Andrew Luck played a season and a half worth of games with Dorsett, including the whole 2016 season which was one of Luck's best seasons in the NFL.

Chad Johnson spent a whole season on the Patriots... Are you sure they dumped him just because of the playbook issues, or was he just done as a player? He never played for another team in the NFL after the Patriots. I think this statement is a reach.

He's not what I would call an okay receiver. He's been below average his entire career, and at times has been a liability. Even though you say 'there is no hype' you're trying to rationalize his repeated NFL failures and hyping up his 'potential' as speak. People are acting like he's going to be the next breakout player. No, he is not. He isn't even good depth.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":275w45s0 said:
Wow man, give the guy a chance. Did he pee in your cereal or something? :lol:

He's a $0.8875 mill cap hit, with $0.1375 dead cap if they cut him. He's really not worth spending too much mental energy on in either direction. I hope he becomes amazing, like any player playing for the team.

KinesProf

Reaction score
Jville":sk41q4xs said:
Spin Doctor":sk41q4xs said:
Cyrus12":sk41q4xs said:

By my count, this is your 8th post in protest of the signing of Phillip Dorsett.

It's a little odd for sure.

So many of his posts are about Dorsett, including the first one where he admits to not knowing much about him.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Fortunately, the player will be the to determine if he was a solid addition or not. Assuming and/or claiming you know he will suck? Meh. It's all opinion.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Maybe he'll do good. Maybe he'll do bad. Whatever happens, don't let it get you sad.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2vmw1y4y said:
Cyrus12":2vmw1y4y said:

...EXCEPT any WR the Seahawks draft is going to have next to no off-season to acclimate and will be way behind heading into the regular season. There is a reason the Seahawks are signing lots of vets...this years draft class is likely going to be mostly a red shirt scenario.

It's already difficult for rookie WRs to make an impact (the ones not freakishly talented named Metcalf). It's going to be even more so this season.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Combine:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/ ... id=2552424

NFL:

http://www.nfl.com/player/phillipdorset ... 24/profile

One thing you can say about him, he's a little on the small side, and injury prone.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Indianapolis Colts wide receiver Phillip Dorsett did not return to the team's Week 7 loss against the New Orleans Saints after he suffered an ankle fracture that will likely keep him out for several weeks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Patriots' Phillip Dorsett (hamstring) to miss remainder of Week 5 vs. Redskins
By Nick Goss October 06, 2019 1:49 PM

As if the New England Patriots needed more bad luck when it comes to injuries, New England lost another offensive player to injury on the first series against Washington.

Wide receiver Phillip Dorsett, who has been having a career season to this point, walked off the field slowly after the Patriots first offensive drive nursing what was quickly announced as a hamstring injury. He was downgraded to out in the second half.
Injury update: Patriots wide receiver Phillip Dorsett out against Eagles because of head injury

The wide receiver caught a touchdown, but left the game afterwards.
By Bernd Buchmasser@BerndBuchmasser Updated Nov 17, 2019, 6:59pm EST

Follow up:

Some context on injury front: WR Phillip Dorsett (concussion) has not been given clearance by doctors to resume full football activity
Sports Injury Predictor? Interesting site

https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/playe ... rsett/7218

chris98251

Reaction score
There is another aspect, if we want to run up tempo more you need depth that can run and gas a defense, you need depth and the type of players a defense can't take plays off from, he fits that bill as well as does not tip your hand on pass or run.

This off season Wilson has mentioned running up tempo more then once, the additional TE's, more RB's as well I expect to keep the pace up a bit.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
KinesProf":qri8csxn said:
Jville":qri8csxn said:
Spin Doctor":qri8csxn said:
Cyrus12":qri8csxn said:

It's a little odd for sure.

So many of his posts are about Dorsett, including the first one where he admits to not knowing much about him.
I did research on Dorsett including watched what tape I could find and asked Patriot and Colt fans. The deeper I went down the rabbit hole the more I became perplexed by the signing. He doesn't really offer the team anything.

He runs a 4.3, and has the perfect measurables but he is one of the slowest fast men I've seen in awhile. His route running is pretty atrocious and he has issues with just about any route that isn't a go route. Now, people might say "what about DK? Wasn't that the knock against him?". Metcalf actually had a few good routes in his repertoire when we drafted him. He wasn't just a one trick pony. People talked about his 3 cone drill, but despite the slow 3 cone he looked fast in game and had a few good routes in his wheelhouse.

Dorsett kind of reminds me of the quintessential Al Davis Raider player. He just doesn't offer very much to this team. I'm against this signing because I see it as an opportunity cost. This is a draft filled with talent at wide receiver, and we have young talent on this team that I would rather see developed such as Malik Turner and Moore. The later does the same thing that Dorsett does only better than Dorsett does it. He's just not a good player all around. He ranges from okay depth player to huge liability.

Jville

Reaction score
^^^ The protest count now stands at 10 :229031_shrug:

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Jville":w0pivva2 said:
^^^ The protest count now stands at 10 :229031_shrug:

Look man, this guy is gonna cost 0.45% of the cap if he stays on the team, and 0.07% if he gets cut. THIS IS SERIOUS!