Film Session: DK Metcalf Rookie Review

Jville

Reaction score
Billy's Film Session: DK Metcalf Rookie Review ..................
[youtube]KDhZrxXAa-M[/youtube]

Rat

Reaction score
So glad we have him.

I get why teams were hesitant to take him in the first round; many a GM’s career has been destroyed by drafting the “workout warrior”, whose athletic profile far exceeds their college production, but getting him with the last pick of the second was lunacy. I wonder how many teams ALMOST took him? He was such a wild card.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
@ pick 64 he wasn’t that much of a risk, he was ranked much higher by numerous ‘draft experts’.

I suppose however the consensus of the FO types was he wasn’t very good with short area quickness and so everyone was dubious as to his prospects. In the end his speed combined with his size has been demonstrably superior and he will only continue to get better as he learns his trade.

Heartily agree I’m glad the team got him, they need another couple more like him too.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Thanks for this post JVille. Pure pleasure.
I still say that play vs Niners where they ripped the ball out on the sideline end of half should have been a penalty on the niners as the guy trying to rip the ball was clearly OUT OF BOUNDS while making his play against DK, then came back in to complete the play.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
He was favorite pick in a long time, I was very happy when Pete and JS pulled the trigger on him. He was very rough when he first came in, which I expected. He evolved very quickly, each week his route running got better and he pulled out some routes that people thought would be impossible for him to run. There is a very good chance that we have another Calvin Johnson on our hands.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1h8lqeys said:
He was favorite pick in a long time, I was very happy when Pete and JS pulled the trigger on him. He was very rough when he first came in, which I expected. He evolved very quickly, each week his route running got better and he pulled out some routes that people thought would be impossible for him to run. There is a very good chance that we have another Calvin Johnson on our hands.
Megatron's rookie year... 48 receptions on 93 targets, for 756 yards and 4 TDs

DK's rookie year............ 58 receptions on 100 targets, for 900 yards and 7 TDs

I'd say that he's off to a great start.

Rat

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":3fr53l58 said:
Spin Doctor":3fr53l58 said:
Megatron's rookie year... 48 receptions on 93 targets, for 756 yards and 4 TDs

DK's rookie year............ 58 receptions on 100 targets, for 900 yards and 7 TDs

I'd say that he's off to a great start.

To be fair, DK had prime Russ (31 TDs, 5 INTs) throwing to him, while Megatron had 35-year-old Kitna (18 TDs, 20 INTs).

Would be awesome if the trend continued though

sutz

Reaction score
Gotta like that as a rookie, he developed several releases on the line. We should expect to see a lot of double teams and exotic coverages moving forward, so if his numbers fall off, I won't be that concerned. With his size and speed, he's already a borderline elite receiver.

Back to those release moves, I think I see a little heritage there, from Largent through Jackson and Baldwin and now Lockett to Metcalf. He seems to be pretty quick on the uptake.

Rat

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":39zy3sdh said:
Thx for sharing, good stuff. Quite a few people thought it was a bad pick. Nope
No pick is going to get unanimous praise, but I was impressed at how overwhelmingly positive the chatter was among other fan bases. He was ripped to shreds in the predraft process, but when he was taken it was mostly “Well, can’t complain about getting him THERE.”

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's gonna' be fun watching this guy get better and better. And he clearly isn't just a one trick pony type of WR.

jmahon316

Reaction score
I feel like it was meant to be when PC took off his shirt in response. The smile PC had at that moment pretty much spelled it out for me. I'm just glad nobody jumped ahead of us to grab him, and that we grabbed him when we did. This guy is going to be a Seahawk for a long time and I'm so happy he has a solid mentor in Lockett.