Running back depth

Reaction score
With the end of last season being so sparse in the position due to injuries to Carson and Penny, do you think there's a need to either trade for a running back (Fournette) or to draft one in the first two rounds?

There are other priorities on the team but there's a lot of good running backs who are going ignored in this WR heavy draft. The first RB picked in the last mock draft I saw was Swift at #45, but Edwards-Helaire, Moss and Taylor could all be a steal, but the player which I like the most for the system, and also it being a low pick, would be AJ Dillon. 6ft, 250lbs and he's explosive too, so I'd love to see him be signed, either with the late 2nd or possibly 3rd round pick.

I love Carson, by the way, and I hope we keep him for a long time but he's such a hard runner, I'd like to see someone else be able to pick up a few carries to keep that intense pressure on the defence, and allow Carson to last a few seasons longer. Penny is good too but he's not a replacement for a fatigued Carson whereas being able to bring in a fresh 250lber in the 3rd quarter against a tired defence, and he's running at them with 4.53 40 yard speed? I like the sound of that. To back up his running strength with numbers, Dillon forced the most missed tackles last year and also had 1,104 YAC, so I think he'd be perfect for the Seahawks.

Erebus

Reaction score
I think drafting a RB because of the current injury situation is short-sighted. You draft for the future and sign free agents for the present. We have bigger long term needs, and Penny won't be hurt forever. He may miss the first half of the season or so, but he'll be fine eventually. I believe spending a high pick to solve a temporary problem is foolish. I would spend at most a 3rd or 4th round pick on a RB or just sign a free agent.

Largent80

Reaction score
RB is a need, so is DL and LB, oh and throw in a slot CB.....The needs are many, which is why they trade back, and then maybe up after going back, they've done it multiple times.

CEH is a dynamo, not as fast as the rest but he is a play maker with awesome hands. Moss is a bit like the Beast.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I do think they draft an RB due to injuries to Carson and Penny. I suspect Carson wont be re signed after his deal expires and Penny longterm durability with that knee is a question mark. If they dont draft one then they will for sure sign a vet who is still out there for a year.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I would not use one of our precious draft picks. The offseason moves along the offensive line suggest to me that the demeanor of the team is going to change. While I doubt we are going to be gunning for an Atlanta style 65% plus passing play percentage, I suspect we are going to trust Russ's arm more than we have. I could see us getting closer to a New Orlean's/ Kansas City's level of 60-61%.

Some of the load will be taken off the backs of our RBs.

I would be on the lookout for a solid, vet back to complement Carson and Penny.

In Baltimore, Collins had the kind of success that I expected him to have here. I would bring him back in. He should be cheap. He is available. We now have game film on how to use him successfully in the NFL. I'm guessing he would come in at under 1 million per year, and would be open to a 1-year or 2-year deal.

Devonta Freeman might be an option, though I'm not sure how well he would fit in. He would probably be a more expensive alternative to Collins, and comes with injury questions that affected his production in 2019. At 28, you would think he still has some gas left in the tank. I think he probably would demand in the 2 to 3 million range. I don't really want him here, at that price. I could go for 1-1.5, though for 1 to 2 years.

With two second round picks, it would be kind of sweet to trade one for Breida, if the Niners would go for it. He would fill that Prosise/ McKissic role pretty nicely. Kind of small. A little more expensive than I think it is worth for a 3rd stringer.
Niners offered him 3.3 million, so it would take 4 plus a 2nd rounder to pry him away. I'm not sure I like that deal, but could be happy with a 4-year deal, averaging 2-3 million per year.

LeSean McCoy showed that he can still get it done, when he isn't carrying the entire workload. If he could be had for cheap, he could also fill that Prosise/ McKissic role. He would have to come a lot cheaper than I think he is willing to go. He probably won't come for less than 3, but I wouldn't go higher than 1.

A lot of it depends on the future vision for Carson. Is he the guy? Right now, yes. When healthy, he is a monster. I could see a long term deal for him and Breida, with Penny being traded next year, or allowed to play out his rookie contract.

Of course, the Niners would have to agree to the trade, which I doubt they would. Personally, I would roll the dice with Carson, Penny, and Collins, and look for another, late-round, dark horse.

Largent80

Reaction score
Giving second contracts to RB's doesn't happen much anymore, especially the bruising type runners. Take a look at Gurley and the Rams.

Draft one of these great backs and get em cheap for 4 or 5 years.

Erebus

Reaction score
bigskydoc":1v7wiz44 said:
I would not use one of our precious draft picks.
With two second round picks, it would be kind of sweet to trade one for Breida, if the Niners would go for it. He would fill that Prosise/ McKissic role pretty nicely. Kind of small. A little more expensive than I think it is worth for a 3rd stringer.
Niners offered him 3.3 million, so it would take 4 plus a 2nd rounder to pry him away. I'm not sure I like that deal, but could be happy with a 4-year deal, averaging 2-3 million per year.

Not sure I follow. First you don't want to use a high draft pick on a RB, but then you'd willing give one to our rival for a RB? And that RB would make more than a draft pick.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I think there is significantly more value in a proven commodity (Breida), than in the gamble that is the draft (Prosise, Michael, Ware, Homer, Turbin, Collins, Penny).

I'm less concerned with giving a pick up for a player who has already had success in the NFL, than one who flashed in college, and may or may not pan out in the big league.

It's like that show, "Let's Make a Deal." The host says, I have $10,000 in my hand. You can take that, or you can take what's in the box. There is a 2% chance that there is a million dollars in the box, a 10% chance that there is $100,000 in there, a 10% chance that there is $10,000 in there, a 20% chance that there is $500 to $1,000 in there, and a 58% chance that there is nothing in there.

I'm saying, go for the $10,000 in the hand, in this case.