PC and JS always draft for “tomorrow” and never for “today”

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Anyone else feel this way?

I want to win now!

The window is now but it’s hard to see that the players they draft now will contribute immediately.

Thoughts?

Seanhawk

Reaction score
I don't. I think the first three picks should contribute immediately. If you are counting on your day 3 picks to contribute right away, you're in trouble.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
They're not truly contending with the level of DT talent they've become stuck with, and they know it. We're still rebuilding.

Fortunately, the window's open as long as Russ is back there.

MrThortan

Reaction score
They're rookies. I think it is unrealistic to expect every one of them to contribute right away. They are still very young men that have a lot to learn.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Everyone who has been complaining that Pete doesn't live up to his ”Always compete” philosophy are getting their wish. The Hawks are drafting for both competition (LB, OL, TE) and need (RB and D-line).

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
To do this effectively, we'd need the top overall picks (and even then it would be far from a sure thing). Otherwise you're always expecting future possibilities.

NINEster

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":3183tncd said:

I want to win now!

The window is now but it’s hard to see that the players they draft now will contribute immediately.

Thoughts?

Why worry about today when you have the greatest QB of all time?

jeremiah

Reaction score
The NFL of 2020 is contribute today, because you will be gone in 2024. Plug and play, or stay away. You are either a superstar worthy of high dollars, or you are a College freshman coming in and will be here 4 years and gone, if not sooner.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I don't see it that way at all, and think if anything they have been too focused previously on the short term.

If you think our picks so far are not addressing roster holes then we simply see the roster very differently. LEO competition, LB speed, third down RB, huge receiver, NFL ready RG; all things that we needed. We do still have a hole remaining at DT but there are still a couple rounds left, UDFAs, and veteran FA.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
jeremiah":2z8i70x9 said:
The NFL of 2020 is contribute today, because you will be gone in 2024. Plug and play, or stay away. You are either a superstar worthy of high dollars, or you are a College freshman coming in and will be here 4 years and gone.

This is the thinking of Cleveland and Miami. That's why they continue drafting high ever year, but wins are few and far between.

You must draft both for depth and for needs, expecting the higher round picks will have more chance to play/contribute, and maybe start.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":2vy3fdyb said:

I want to win now!

Thoughts?

There won't be a season this year, so don't worry.

Madrid Hawk

Reaction score
I wish I could have all the people on .net as my GM instead of that dumbass JS.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Always draft for today, and expect immediate positive results from your first round pick! Also, always pick the talking heads' favorite player in order to get these results, not someone you've identified on your own. Just like when we drafted Curry.

Basis4day

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":1u8yrafi said:

I want to win now!

Thoughts?

For purposes of discussion, who are the players available to draft that would be contributors on day 1 that you would have preferred?

I was perplexed by the Brooks pick, but i erred in not realizing that Kendricks was a FA. He absolutely could contribute from day one and seems like the type of linebacker you need in the NFC West.

Taylor absolutely can contribute year one as part of the DE rotation.

So what would you have preferred?

nanomoz

Reaction score
The guy who would make the team instantly better, to me, was Jonathan Taylor. It'd be an immediate boost and a pick that could sure up the backfield for the rest of Wilson's career in Seattle.

Carson is coming off of a broken hip, and is a free agent after 2020. And Penny seems to be generally injury prone, and now he's coming off of an ACL. It's reasonable to expect the depth at the position to be a problem again this year.

Basis4day

Reaction score
nanomoz":ezrjuo0u said:
The guy who would make the team instantly better, to me, was Jonathan Taylor. It'd be an immediate boost and a pick that could sure up the backfield for the rest of Wilson's career in Seattle.

41st overall, 9th pick in the 2nd.

So you were comfortable with a 1st rd pick or a major trade up in the 2nd for Taylor? Remember. Penny was a 1st rd pick with very little return till last season.

You were comfortable with that knowing we were able to find Carson in the 7th?

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
bmorepunk":2kjggowe said:
TheLegendOfBoom":2kjggowe said:

I want to win now!

Thoughts?

There won't be a season this year, so don't worry.
There won’t be any contact sports of any kind this year.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Yes... there will be.

Already playing baseball and other sports in Asia. European soccer resuming team training, as is NBA

OP
OP
TheLegendOfBoom

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Basis4day":3r7rsbks said:
TheLegendOfBoom":3r7rsbks said:

I want to win now!

Thoughts?

For purposes of discussion, who are the players available to draft that would be contributors on day 1 that you would have preferred?

I was perplexed by the Brooks pick, but i erred in not realizing that Kendricks was a FA. He absolutely could contribute from day one and seems like the type of linebacker you need in the NFC West.

Taylor absolutely can contribute year one as part of the DE rotation.

So what would you have preferred?
Honestly, I was kinda hoping for a plug and play Defensive Tackle in the first round.

But I guess they are high on their current group, which didn’t do much last year.

Hopefully, Poona Ford is the next generation great Seattle pass rusher in the middle.

AgentDib

Reaction score
From what they've said they are actually high on some of our DE's (Green, Collier) shifting inside on passing downs similar to how we've used Bennett back in the day. Of course they're hoping for more out of Reed as well.

The competition at DT may be adequate for rushing downs with Ford, Mone, Jones, Christmas, Avery, Webb and Lattimore in the mix. We could also add a veteran here like Christian Covington.

Latest posts