Mood after this Draft.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
I actually like it and give it a B.

However i see so many unhappy hawk fans like normal.

How do you feel?

Teahawks

Reaction score
If we want to talk feelings, I think I posted in another thread about how my buddy and I always have a huge day dedicated to the draft (mocks, contests, food, etc.). Anyway on FaceTime this year, our facial reactions were again puzzled and let down by the Brooks pick, but not as bad as the Penny and Collier ones previously. Side note, if the Hawks went with our mocks they'd have TJ Watt and Nick Chubb, jus' sayin ;)

But my feeling now is too much risk...again. My feeling is the Hawks are obviously a playoff team and could use a superstar and a great draft to put them over the top. Kind of like what the 49ers just did today. Instead, we did not address our thinnest position of D line. Yes we got the DE I really liked, but D tackle? Like at least throw a dart there for a pass rushing D tackle like a Q Jeff in the mid rounds. You got Christmas and Naz Jones as backups right now, both unknowns.

I thought that tight end pick was dumb, that would have been a spot for the d tackle. The guard I like, but just super clogged there already.

Wish they would have abstained from all these low level, washed up free agents on the o line and just saved that money for a superstar, and then drafted for need.

I'll give it a B minus. Brooks could prove brilliant of Wright or Wagner go down. Love Taylor, like the guard. The rest whatever but would have liked depth at positions of need.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Jeebers. Give it some time to sink in. I'm impressed with the members of this site to scout players..for the Patriots. Haha. I love the fact that they addressed a glaring problem.... Lack of pass rush ( with or without Clowney whom I hope stays on board). Really needed to fix tackling the run in space and pressure on the QB. Duh, right? With those components last year we're hoisting the Lombardi. This is a talented team that addressed the difference between almost and Super Bowl. The UDFA signings I'm lost except for Gordon. He's awesome. Go Hawks. Go frickin Hawks.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
I feel the way I always feel, enthusiastic. And really excited to see them play in pre-season.

I don't go into the draft hoping they pick this guy or that guy. I don't have a list, I don't compare the draft picks to mocks, and I dont judge the picks compared to Mel Kiper or whoever. The Seahawks always draft unknowns, surprises, guys out of left field, it's futile to try and mock them.

So when its all said and done, I look at the picks, and start reading up on them, and learning who they are. This way I dont get disappointed. :D

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I feel the same way today I feel every year after a draft. Which is (shrugs shoulders) who knows? It will take on average 2+ years before any of us truly has a handle on how good - or bad - this draft was. Until then it's just debate and opinion and that includes the fancy draft analysts who get paid a pretty penny to appear on TV to discuss draft picks.

NOBODY KNOWS how good a draft truly is until a couple years have gone by AT LEAST. That's why draft grades crack me up. How can you possibly assign a grade to a draft when you won't truly know the value of each pick until it's played out on the field for a few years?

kf3339

Reaction score
Aros":2ypown6e said:
I feel the same way today I feel every year after a draft. Which is (shrugs shoulders) who knows? It will take on average 2+ years before any of us truly has a handle on how good - or bad - this draft was. Until then it's just debate and opinion and that includes the fancy draft analysts who get paid a pretty penny to appear on TV to discuss draft picks.

NOBODY KNOWS how good a draft truly is until a couple years have gone by AT LEAST. That's why draft grades crack me up. How can you possibly assign a grade to a draft when you won't truly know the value of each pick until it's played out on the field for a few years?

If that is how you feel why bother to watch the draft at all? Seems to me you're saying that you shouldn't make any opinion until they have had at least 2 years of experience in the NFL. If everyone took that view there would be zero interest in the draft by anyone, but the FO and the players.

chris98251

Reaction score
Where I am not familiar with many of the players I went into this draft thinking as many did we needed TE,RB,LB,DE, O-LINE DT,WR and S.

We got all that except S and DT, DT we seem to have good fortune in F.A. market over the years picking up cuts or late signings, not as worried there, the Safety position I wanted a Thumper since I don't think McDougald can inflict that kind of presence.

Hitting on or at least picking up most of the positions we needed I think speaks volumes, Pete and John saw the same things we did, we have like 19 O lineman vying for spots, 10 TE's looking for a spot, we picked up WR's a kick returner and a guy moved to TE that is a freak as far as arm length and may be a WR in our system.

DE's everyone said we had a big need, we picked up guys that have the capability of bringing pressure as well as growing into guys that can be here for 5 years or so.

Where we may not know a lot about the picks we at least can say we went after positions we needed an upgrade.

Oh and this is like the first draft we didn't take a CB or a Safety.

That speaks a lot to what Pete thinks we have already or they have another plan to fill out the rest of our depth in another way.

Mood isn't anything right now till I see some action in pads.

But not pissed we ignored things.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Annoyed at the bullcrap evaluations. I'm cool if you don't like a guy but I have yet to see a coherent convincing argument against any of these picks.

I've watched all these guys on film and looked at their combine stats and all I can say is I love absolutely all of these picks. Far as I'm concerned we will look at this draft as a major winner in the near future

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Aros":3kw5tvi5 said:

BINGO! This guy gets it!

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I'm pretty mediocre on this one. I dont hate it, but I dont love it either. They took some players I strongly disagree with and some I like. Wish they would have taken a DT and at least one secondary player, but they didnt. Oh well, what the heck do I know.

Grade C

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
kf3339":3nuufjl1 said:
Aros":3nuufjl1 said:

If that is how you feel why bother to watch the draft at all? Seems to me you're saying that you shouldn't make any opinion until they have had at least 2 years of experience in the NFL. If everyone took that view there would be zero interest in the draft by anyone, but the FO and the players.

I agree with Aros. But I can tell you that I watch the draft because:

A) It's about football during the offseason, and that's fun for me.

B) I like people, and like new faces/names/characters on the Seahawks. It's enjoyable to get to know the new names and personalities, hear their stories, watch their tape, etc., so they become real to me, not just names on jerseys.

C) human nature is also entertaining to witness on Seahawks.net (even if sometimes boorish and annoying with high volumes of negative venting caused feelings of disappointment/frustration stemming from an over-developed sense of one's own proficiency at arm-chair managing a draft).

D) the draft is about new blood/life, and that gives hope for more fun football in the future!

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Thank you Ad Hawk. Pretty much sums up my feelings. Of course there is entertainment value in the draft. Of course it's fun to speculate and debate each pick. All I was saying is that it cracks me up that people actually think there is merit to grading a draft. Puuuuuhlllleeeeezzzzeee. Whether it's Joe Fan in his basement or Daniel Jeremiah, there is NO way to know how the draft pans out for any team, any time, until a few years go by.

Mick063

Reaction score
Nobody in the world has a clue about how good or bad this draft was until they get the players into camp and the staff gets a first hand look at how well the rookies can transition to the pro game.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
We may not know much about this year's draft yet -- but we know a lot about the past 7 years. Since 2012, our drafts have largely been below average. We've gotten some starters and a few good players here and there who've lasted, but not a whole lot of studs.

Our draft success in the last 7 years have turned out to be a very big drop off from 2010-2012, when Pete's off-the-charts knowledge of college players was simply way better than anyone else's, because he'd been studying them for years. Now we're just like everyone else -- maybe a little worse.

Mick063

Reaction score
Tusc2000":2wg482e2 said:
We may not know much about this year's draft yet -- but we know a lot about the past 7 years. Since 2012, our drafts have largely been below average. We've gotten some starters and a few good players here and there who've lasted, but not a whole lot of studs.

Our draft success in the last 7 years have turned out to be a very big drop off from 2010-2012, when Pete's off-the-charts knowledge of college players was simply way better than anyone else's, because he'd been studying them for years. Now we're just like everyone else -- maybe a little worse.

In the last quarter of the most recent season, Seattle still had a legitimate shot at the number one seed. With two games remaining, they controlled their own destiny for #1 seed, and if what you say is true, that Seattle is drafting worse than everyone else this past seven years, then the feat last year was nothing short of down right amazing.

So how can you do this without drafting well? I suppose you can make a splash with free agents. I suppose you can develop mediocre players into becoming overachievers. I suppose that you can be such a master strategist, that your football acumen can overcome the significant shortcomings of an unsatisfactory roster. I don't know. Just throwing stuff out there trying to understand how.

Explain this to me.

By the way, I think that DK Metcalf is Seattle's best draft pick since Bobby Wagner. He broke a rookie playoff receiving record in the wildcard game verse Philly. He is an ascending player.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I'm definitely in no position to comment on the players themselves. Hopefully they hit, I'm guessing something a little south of 50% do and that would still be a pretty darn good draft. Some general comments/thoughs:

1) after the first two picks, my impression was they were focusing on upping the speed on the team. I think that would be a great thing. I'm not sure how well that held for the remainder of the picks.

2) I like the idea of drafting multiple people at a given position. I think that breeds competition. They did it with receiver last year, DB a few years ago (that didn't work very well). Linebacker a bit last year (we'll see how that works out).

3) they did that with DE this year (good) and with TE (more of a head scratcher).

4) I think the team is oddly deep at some positions and dangerously thin at others. The lack of OT depth could be a problem this year, and will almost definitely be a problem in coming years. Hopefully next year they take the same "draft multiple people at one position" approach with OT.

5) I'm not a fan of trading next year's 6th for this year's 7th. Seems so wasteful. Last year's WR and this year's TE turn into something. Hopefully they do but both trades are mortgaging next year for a player that most likely makes the practice squad, but is also just as likely to be cut.

6) I'm never as fond of picking WR as some are so I think the WR from Florida was a wasted pick. Again, maybe the player turns out to be good, but at some point you have enough WRs and when you have almost no OTs, that's a problem.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Mick063":388ue49f said:
Tusc2000":388ue49f said:

In the last quarter of the most recent season, Seattle still had a legitimate shot at the number one seed. With two games remaining, they controlled their own destiny for #1 seed, and if what you say is true, that Seattle is drafting worse than everyone else this past seven years, then the feat last year was nothing short of down right amazing.

So how can you do this without drafting well? I suppose you can make a splash with free agents. I suppose you can develop mediocre players into becoming overachievers. I suppose that you can be such a master strategist, that your football acumen can overcome the significant shortcomings of an unsatisfactory roster. I don't know. Just throwing stuff out there trying to understand how.

Explain this to me.

By the way, I think that DK Metcalf is Seattle's best draft pick since Bobby Wagner. He broke a rookie playoff receiving record in the wildcard game verse Philly. He is an ascending player.

I can explain it to you with two words:

RUSSELL WILSON

Need I say more?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Tusc2000":2g4uhiqg said:
I can explain it to you with two words:

RUSSELL WILSON

Need I say more?

Seriously, its not hard. Without Russ, last years team is a 3 to 4 win club.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Tusc2000":1qinmxeg said:
I posted a couple of breakdowns of this last fall but the Hawks were above average by PFR's approximate value calculations, which strike me as a reasonable objective source. Either way, I do think this is an interesting topic but one that shouldn't have much bearing yet on how you feel about the 2020 draft.

HawkGA":1qinmxeg said:
The lack of OT depth could be a problem this year, and will almost definitely be a problem in coming years. Hopefully next year they take the same "draft multiple people at one position" approach with OT.
The off-season has so far confirmed the notion that with a truncated off-season and new CBA our FO's is very skeptical of trying to get rookie tackles up to speed quickly. I would have liked a tackle for 2021 too, but Pete and John almost always have a more immediate view than that. My takeaway is that we learned they are comfortable with Jamarco Jones (T), Chad Wheeler (T) and Jordan Simmons (T/G) as their depth for now, with Brown, Shell, and Ogbuehi starting.

It's possible that they still see Jamarco as a 2021 replacement for Brown, but if not I think they may rely on 2021 FA/Trades to replace their LT situation over a rookie.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
Aros":2iokxn16 said:
Thank you Ad Hawk. Pretty much sums up my feelings. Of course there is entertainment value in the draft. Of course it's fun to speculate and debate each pick. All I was saying is that it cracks me up that people actually think there is merit to grading a draft. Puuuuuhlllleeeeezzzzeee. Whether it's Joe Fan in his basement or Daniel Jeremiah, there is NO way to know how the draft pans out for any team, any time, until a few years go by.
Oddly, there is a Joe Fann who is the Seahawks "insider" for NBC sports northwest. I can neither confirm nor deny that he lives in his mom's basement.
I think he got offended when JS asked if Joe Fann was his real name.