Offensive Line Projections for 2020

springscohawk

Reaction score
Here is my projected starting offensive line to start the season:

Duane Brown, Mike Iupati, Ethan Pocic, Jemarco Jones, and Branden Shell

Here is my hoped for starting offensive line by the end of the season:

Duane Brown, Phil Haynes, Ethan Pocic, Damien Lewis, Jemarco Jones

What do you say, starting and end of season?

getnasty

Reaction score
Starters-Brown, Iupati, Finney, Lewis, Shell
Backup-Jones, Haynes, Hunt, Simmons, Ogbuehi(Fant Role)

Personally i'd rather keep Pocic and give him a shot at center but Pete seems to love Joey Hunt, at least a ton of competition this year which is exciting.

OP
OP
S

springscohawk

Reaction score
getnasty":33wxj5gn said:
Starters-Brown, Iupati, Finney, Lewis, Shell
Backup-Jones, Haynes, Hunt, Simmons, Ogbuehi(Fant Role)

Personally i'd rather keep Pocic and give him a shot at center but Pete seems to love Joey Hunt, at least a ton of competition this year which is exciting.

I have never seen Jamarco Jones as a LT in NFL although I know he played LT in college. I don't know Ogbuehi but based on athleticism would hope he and Jones would flip on your depth chart.

Finney, Lewis, and Shell on right side....do you think 3 new players with one being rookie will get Wilson killed in first few games of the year? At least Finney and Shell have NFL experience while old Cable lines would trot out Britt as R tackle as rookie or DT conversion project Sweezy as guard!

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Great thread topic springs!
I think we may have a horse race for O Line starting jobs.
I agree with nasty's start lineup, but worried about Shell. At least Russ can see them coming from that side.
Pocic has never shown he is capable to handle center position, which is a/the critical OL position... except maybe for LT, which is usually QB blindside.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Here's my prediction -

Brown - Iupati - Finney - Simmons - Shell

I believe that Warmack or Lewis will replace Iupati toward the end of season.

OP
OP
S

springscohawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1f0a5qog said:
Here's my prediction -

Thanks for input on this topic Hawk fan and others

Lewis has mainly played R Guard so don't really see him replacing Iupati at Left Guard. I think Phil Haynes is projected left guard they are hopeful for future so perhaps Haynes or Warmack at Left guard.

Anybody know, has Warmack mostly played or practiced left or right guard? I don't have time to research it because I am on the clock working :shock:

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
springscohawk":1dqc9jjc said:
hawkfan68":1dqc9jjc said:
Here's my prediction -

Lewis has mainly played R Guard so don't really see him replacing Iupati at Left Guard. I think Phil Haynes is projected left guard they are hopeful for future so perhaps Haynes or Warmack at Left guard.

Anybody know, has Warmack mostly played or practiced left or right guard? I don't have time to research it because I am on the clock working :shock:
That's never stopped me.

OP
OP
S

springscohawk

Reaction score
Sun Tzu":9ek8mjto said:
springscohawk":9ek8mjto said:
hawkfan68":9ek8mjto said:
Here's my prediction -

That's never stopped me.

Sun Tzu, Nice :D

hawkfan68

Reaction score
springscohawk":3i91l8dj said:
hawkfan68":3i91l8dj said:
Here's my prediction -

Thanks Springcohawk! I'm not an expert by any means. Lewis is a physically strong and per his draft profile has some athleticism, therefore I thought he could handle LG with power and speed. One of the guards is a power and the other is more pulling. With the Seahawks moving to a more power run game, they probably look to have more physical line. Lewis would be in between two vets in Brown and Finney so I think he would be ok. Warmack played some left guard with the Eagles in a reserve role.

OP
OP
S

springscohawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1d4of3cr said:
springscohawk":1d4of3cr said:
hawkfan68":1d4of3cr said:
Here's my prediction -

Thanks Springcohawk! I'm not an expert by any means. Lewis is a physically strong and per his draft profile has some athleticism, therefore I thought he could handle LG with power and speed. One of the guards is a power and the other is more pulling. With the Seahawks moving to a more power run game, they probably look to have more physical line. Lewis would be in between two vets in Brown and Finney so I think he would be ok. Warmack played some left guard with the Eagles in a reserve role.

Hawkfan 68, thanks for input about Lewis and Warmack.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
springscohawk":268lgaqk said:
hawkfan68":268lgaqk said:
Here's my prediction -

The bulk of Warmack's experience is at right guard (2,909 snaps at RG, 256 snaps at LG). I think the RG competition comes down to Lewis, Warmack, and Simmons (Demetrius Knox may have an outside shot to earn a backup role on the right side).

nwHawk

Reaction score
Start of the season:

Duane Brown, Mike Iupati, Joey Hunt, Damien Lewis, and Branden Shell

Jemarco Jones (swing tackle)
Cedric Ogbuehi (Fant tackle)
B.J. Finney (C)
Phil Haynes (G)

By the end of the season:

Duane Brown, Phil Haynes, B.J. Finney, Damien Lewis, Brandon Shell

Jemarco Jones (swing tackle)
Cedric Ogbuehi (Fant tackle) or free agent
Joey Hunt (C)
Demetrious Knox (G)

Mike Iupati (IR)

jammerhawk

Reaction score
It’s going to be a big competitive fight for every position except the LT job, that will also go for the swing T job too.

Biggest fights are going to be at G and C. I suspect the team will wind up cutting some guys we thought might be safe.

It’d seem the team wants to have muscle inside and be able be the bully in the running game.

cheese22

Reaction score
The best part of this thread, after recent years of this discussion, is that there seems to be much more confidence/optimism when looking at the current and future situation.
I personally love a Haynes, Finney and Lewis middle for many years to come. Haynes and Lewis will be regarded as a top guard duo in the league. Brown's longevity (or the development of a LT) will be the key. With Jones at RT I think 4/5 of the line is set up pretty well. Maybe the future LT will be acquired later. The young depth they have with Lewis, Haynes, Simmons, Jones, Knox is a luxury we haven't had in a long time. Not the best in the league by any stretch, but in comparison to where this team has been, I'm pretty confident in the future.

cjamesg

Reaction score
Joey Hunt is at best a fair backup at Center. In my opinion, if he is our starter by year's end, something will have went seriously wrong.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
There seems to be some confusion over which guard spot is left or right. My entire time playing the line was designated left or right as though you are the QB, not as seen from the defense's point of view. The guy left of center is the LG. The guy to his left is LT. etc. The running lanes are numbered, usually even one side, odd the other.
Have things flipped since I played?

OP
OP
S

springscohawk

Reaction score
Sun Tzu":dzbuvfm6 said:
springscohawk":dzbuvfm6 said:
hawkfan68":dzbuvfm6 said:
Here's my prediction -

The bulk of Warmack's experience is at right guard (2,909 snaps at RG, 256 snaps at LG). I think the RG competition comes down to Lewis, Warmack, and Simmons (Demetrius Knox may have an outside shot to earn a backup role on the right side).

Sun Tzu, thanks for facts about Warmack snaps at RG versus LG. Dang, that is a lot of competition at RG if they have Lewis, Simmons, and Warmack all completing for RG. My recollection was that Jemarco Jones was filling in at RG last year when Fluker was hurt. That makes four players who have snap experience at the position. Hopefully Lewis, Simmons, and Warmack at RG frees up Jones to complete for starting RT with Shell.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
springscohawk":10cs9sjw said:
Sun Tzu":10cs9sjw said:
springscohawk":10cs9sjw said:
hawkfan68":10cs9sjw said:
Here's my prediction -

Sun Tzu, thanks for facts about Warmack snaps at RG versus LG. Dang, that is a lot of competition at RG if they have Lewis, Simmons, and Warmack all completing for RG. My recollection was that Jemarco Jones was filling in at RG last year when Fluker was hurt. That makes four players who have snap experience at the position. Hopefully Lewis, Simmons, and Warmack at RG frees up Jones to complete for starting RT with Shell.
I think Jones is in play to start at left guard. If he doesn't win that role, he will still be an incredibly valuable option to have active on game day. I believe he had snaps at LT, LG, and RG in 2020. I'm guessing we will have 8 OL actives on game days, flexibility to step in at 3 different positions gives him an edge when it comes to making the roster and being active on game day.
Just my opinion, but I don't think Jones will be in play to start at guard or tackle on the right side. I may be off on this, I just think he is more comfortable on the left side.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Sun Tzu":2l6dmtok said:
springscohawk":2l6dmtok said:
Sun Tzu":2l6dmtok said:
springscohawk":2l6dmtok said:

I think Jones is in play to start at left guard. If he doesn't win that role, he will still be an incredibly valuable option to have active on game day. I believe he had snaps at LT, LG, and RG in 2020. I'm guessing we will have 8 OL actives on game days, flexibility to step in at 3 different positions gives him an edge when it comes to making the roster and being active on game day.
Just my opinion, but I don't think Jones will be in play to start at guard or tackle on the right side. I may be off on this, I just think he is more comfortable on the left side.

Regarding Jones, he also impressed at right tackle during his rookie preseason. Truly a valuable member of the offensive line. I was wrong about him - I didn't like the pick based on some of his tape, but man, he's turned out great for his draft spot.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
I had forgotten about Jones` experience at RT, makes him that much more valuable as a reserve game day active, if he isn't starting somewhere. I haven't been considered the possibility that Jones might figure in the competition for RT. I think he looks more comfortable on the left side, but given time to prepare and consistently work on the right could change that.
If the coaches see Jones as a tackle rather than a guard the tackle to guard ratio looks better. I had been beginning to wonder if a move to right tackle was in Pocic's future.