Insider says faster offense coming

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Getting killed on here for an opinion is pretty common.
Like wanting them to actually come out firing in the 1st half. God forbid someone wants the team to score for 4 quarters :lol:

kf3339

Reaction score
Really? The team just now figures this out?

It's been pretty damn obvious for several years that we needed an up tempo offense with RW. They only roll it out in the 4th quarter after looking like crap. Hopefully they are serious.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I agree with putting more game control on Russ's plate including tempo. But tempo works best to your advantage when you have a defense that puts your offense back on the field without losing a bunch of field position or points. Balance is a big key to success.

kf3339

Reaction score
Appyhawk":1xamjyjp said:
I agree with putting more game control on Russ's plate including tempo. But tempo works best to your advantage when you have a defense that puts your offense back on the field without losing a bunch of field position or points. Balance is a big key to success.

I would rather see our offense score early and often starting in the first quarter. Build a solid lead in the first half and then let our ball control offense use the fourth quarter to finish the game with a solid lead. What we have seen is an offense that looks like a joke for three quarters last last several years. If that means our defense is on the field more then so be it. It's not like they have been that great themselves of late.

Balance only works if you have a HC and OC who have shown they can successfully make in-game adjustments. That hasn't been the case with a PC team to date. It would be nice, but I haven't seen it.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
I would take snapping the ball anywhere in the last 10 seconds of the play clock at random instead of always with 1 second left so the defense can't just use the play clock as a starter gun.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
kf3339":1whnkdsr said:
Really? The team just now figures this out?

It's been pretty damn obvious for several years that we needed an up tempo offense with RW. They only roll it out in the 4th quarter after looking like crap. Hopefully they are serious.

Allow me to play devils advocate for one sec. A lot of that 4th quarter magic comes with RW's legs. I for one don't want him running MORE.

When we do straight drop back passing, our line usually makes RW use his legs to either extend or outright scramble, Or add to his league leading sack totals.

Now if you want to talk quick game, 3 step and fire. I'm all in. BUT we don't do that. We like long play action deep shots...

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
JustTheTip":3q7qfemf said:
I would take snapping the ball anywhere in the last 10 seconds of the play clock at random instead of always with 1 second left so the defense can't just use the play clock as a starter gun.
Yep, this!

John63

Reaction score
I agree withe the premise and have been saying it for a while. That said I will believe it when I see it.

kjreid

Reaction score
Since the Offense cannot "run the first 20" plays that are set to begin the games the only thing that will happen going with a faster offense play scheme is giving the opponent more chance in the first half.

nrayorr

Reaction score
I agree that we need to get things started a lot faster than what we have been. Playing safe for three quarters and then coming out full blast in the 4th is risky because it could be construed as too little too late. In a perfect world I'd like to see our offense able to score at a moments notice and our defense keep the score down for the other teams. Am I asking too much? Probably so.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
kjreid":22wwvbej said:
Since the Offense cannot "run the first 20" plays that are set to begin the games the only thing that will happen going with a faster offense play scheme is giving the opponent more chance in the first half.
You can score more points.

Your own 3 and outs don’t help you put more points on the board, and actually helps your opponents score more.

John63

Reaction score
kjreid":25oirodd said:

1st it should not take 20 plays to figure out what the defense is doing, that is what film is for.
2. it will be harder for the defense when they can't count on the snap happening with under 5 seconds to go which is as it is now. Moving faster and thus having the snap be at different times helps our oline and the entire offense.
3. we own TOP in the 2nd half which is when we usually speed things up by a far larger margin than in the 1st half when we run the slow motion offense.

Seajam

Reaction score
If it happens, its 5 yrs too late, but better now then never! The freaking missing piece!

ducks41468

Reaction score
thegameq":287m2cuz said:
Believe it when I see it.

This. This isn't the first time that we've heard "big changes are coming on offense" and then it's just a repeat of the same nonsense.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
John63":3rfr6hup said:
kjreid":3rfr6hup said:

1st it should not take 20 plays to figure out what the defense is doing, that is what film is for.
Absolutely. Teams don't even have defensive coordinators whose job it is to change up the defensive gameplan week-to-week to suit the opponent.

2. it will be harder for the defense when they can't count on the snap happening with under 5 seconds to go which is as it is now. Moving faster and thus having the snap be at different times helps our oline and the entire offense.
So it's your opinion that Pete decides when the ball is snapped, not Russ? Why then does Russ do the snap count?

3. we own TOP in the 2nd half which is when we usually speed things up by a far larger margin than in the 1st half when we run the slow motion offense.
We also choose to kick to start the game and receive in the second half, which contributes to a TOP differential. Also, if we have a lead we generally choose to sit on it via the running game rather than extend it via the pass. Just saying.

The idea is to control the time of possession, not to have more time of possession. Run out the clock if we're ahead, or milk the clock if we're behind. Having a balanced offense allows that to happen.

HawkGA

Reaction score
JustTheTip":2f3ips04 said:

I don't see why they can't be a running team and up tempo. It would seem to me the time at the line of scrimmage is the issue, not necessarily the play calls.

Mick063

Reaction score
If anything, a faster tempo may prevent those critical delay of game penalties.

Remember?

Critical delay penalty late in the game against SF in the battle for the division crown.

If Russ isn't hampered by waiting for a play call from the press box, he takes over instead, and at least gets the play off in time. May have been the difference for a first round bye.

The biggest single factor for up-temp is that Russ can dictate the opposition substitution packages. They simply won't have time to adjust their situational lineup. That....is when Russ can run around in circles and simply wear out those defensive lineman that are relentlessly tasked with containing him. The primary reason that Russ's 4th quarter stats jump off the page is because those D-linemen are worn out. Up-tempo will wear them out faster.

The only reason that Peyton Manning went to the top tier is because the staff let him take complete command of the offense. It certainly wasn't due to repeated post season success like Brady. Manning had a monkey on his back for awhile. Thank God that Russ got past that early in his career.

Latest posts