Disappointing - Irvin’s contract numbers

Seahawlnut89

Reaction score
Learned today that Irvin's cap number is $5.2 million. The Seahawks' most glaring need this offseason was pass rush, and I am disappointed in how it's been addressed so far. The offseason is far from over, but it looks like the Seahawks chose quantity over quality. The Seahawks have no game changers on the D-Line, no one that commands double teams.

I will try to be optimistic, but unless something changes, I see another year of this defense getting gashed in the offensive heavy NFC West, and a wasted year of Wilson's prime.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
So, basically the same post we have seen 27 times this off season. It's May 11th, plenty can still happen before game 1.

OP
OP
S

Seahawlnut89

Reaction score
My apologies. I am not on here too regularly. I guess I was just surprised at Bruce's cap number.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Seahawlnut89":2oix0zji said:
My apologies. I am not on here too regularly. I guess I was just surprised at Bruce's cap number.
Don’t sweat it.
Welcome! :irishdrinkers:

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Seahawlnut89":m5ynyygb said:
Learned today that Irvin's cap number is $5.2 million. The Seahawks' most glaring need this offseason was pass rush, and I am disappointed in how it's been addressed so far. The offseason is far from over, but it looks like the Seahawks chose quantity over quality. The Seahawks have no game changers on the D-Line, no one that commands double teams.

I will try to be optimistic, but unless something changes, I see another year of this defense getting gashed in the offensive heavy NFC West, and a wasted year of Wilson's prime.

OK, I'll play along. I'm disappointed too, but not about Irvin, who I think is a pretty darned good player, nor his cap nuber, which seems entirely within the bounds for a player of his stature.
I'm disappointed that we still haven't signed Clowney.

springscohawk

Reaction score
Seahawlnut89":2eqzkjto said:

Not sure Irvin's contract is what is preventing Seahawks from getting Clowney. Last year proved having Clowney was not enough and they lacked speed off edge and Leo type rusher from other side. Last year with Clowney we had a poor pass rush and he needed help. Perhaps they saw signing Irvin as making it more enticing for Clowney to come back. Another thing to remember, they needed a replacement for Kendicks at SS LB is a veteran solution for taking care of this position (on early downs) and then provides pass rush from Leo position for obvious passing downs.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Well I think our secondary will be much improved but our front 4 is at this time a glaring weakness. Not overly ecstatic about our lb depth either but I guess there is still time to improve this.

Smellyman

Reaction score
I kind of like the quantity over quality. (although I think Mayowa/Irvin/Taylor/Robinson all would prove better than the leader in sacks last year, Green)

Waves of good fresh pass rushers thrown at an OL seems, imo, like a pretty good strategy.

and Griffen and I am pretty dang happy with what is done so far.

Dunbar may give the dline an extra tick this year too.

Reed and Poona step up this year as well

morgulon1

Reaction score
Seahawlnut89":26bv2d6v said:

Dont worry . thats what this forum is for. You have every right to feel how you feel. All i can say is Seattle obviously sees the value at what they're paying him and a committee approach.

I hope theyre right

massari

Reaction score
Whoa $6M for Irvin and $7M for Olsen. Hopefully these two aging talents can live up to their contracts.

Also, didn't most of Irvin's production last season come from a ridiculous amount of blitzing?

Sprfunk

Reaction score
I don't mind Irvin's contract because I think he will be an upgrade on what we had. I HATE the Olsen contract.

Now as far as the Clowney situation, yes I want him back, however not at the price he was asking, 20 mil plus a year? No way. Plus the fact that the cap all of the sudden will most likely be going DOWN! Had the hawks signed him for big money they would be totally hosed.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep, the number was higher than I thought as well, hopefully he contributes, we need him. Welcome to the page :irishdrinkers:

xray

Reaction score
6 mill for Irvin vs what Clowney wants . I'll take the Irvin deal and the 5-7 sacks he probably gets .

sutz

Reaction score
xray":20hcptxy said:
6 mill for Irvin vs what Clowney wants . I'll take the Irvin deal and the 5-7 sacks he probably gets .
Irvin was negotiating from a position of relative strength, Clowney isn't.