Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TMZ: Arrest Warrant Issued Quinton Dunbar - Armed Robbery

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • Appyhawk wrote:I would make every attempt to build my team roster from the best, most highly skilled athletes I could find...who have the mental aptitude to exercise sound judgement on the field and off the field. Players represent not just themselves but their entire team, and are role models to a huge audience. Part of the privilege of being highly paid to be an NFL player is accepting the responsibility to avoid putting yourself in circumstances that jeopardize the standing of your team, and teammates who depend on you.

So you wouldn't have traded for Lynch?

Marshawn had numerous legal issues before coming here, recent ones in fact while playing in Buffalo. It's the very reason we were able to get a HOF caliber RB for a 4th round pick. Also one of the reasons we won a SB, Lynch WAS the identity of that SB team.

That's what great coaches and GM's do, they weigh the problems vs the man. Dunbar had no prior legal problems that I know of.............so you asking that we ONLY draft and acquire only the most mature and upstanding members of society is not only hindsight GM'ing, it's not a successful way of building a SB roster.

For whatever you think about football, it is a sport of grit, violence and determination. Those personality traits are born out of hardship, desperation and sometimes even dysfunction. It's why guys like Lynch play like they do, they're nasty, and angry, and had miserable upbringings that bring out what helps make them great.

Sometimes that comes at a personality cost, and again good GM's and coaches know how to identify and channel that.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• You make some good points Sgt, and I heartily approve of them for the most part. Start with new chance for someone who messed up. Thing is there are levels of "messing up". Gunplay is a level that is a deal breaker.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.

• Appyhawk wrote:You make some good points Sgt, and I heartily approve of them for the most part. Start with new chance for someone who messed up. Thing is there are levels of "messing up". Gunplay is a level that is a deal breaker.

You do know that Lynch was arrested on felony charges for possession of a concealed firearm, right?
    TAB420
    NET Veteran

• Yes, I knew that, Tabs. But again with the levels. Having a gun and pulling it out as a direct threat to someone are two different things. Lots of players have them. Too many crazies running around with guns these days for public figures not to have protection. I know one thing for certain, I will do everything I can to avoid being a defenseless victim, and I'm not a famous public figure by any stretch of the imagination. But defensive insurance is a much different thing than an offensive threat. VERY different.
    That brings us back to the on or off the field judgement issue. Individuals who have good judgement will make the best, most dependably good, players and teammates.
    Like someone else said, for the personnel department it's a balancing act. But they'll win a lot more of those bets sticking with guys who show good solid judgement.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.

• Appyhawk wrote:Yes, I knew that, Tabs. But again with the levels. Having a gun and pulling it out as a direct threat to someone are two different things. Lots of players have them. Too many crazies running around with guns these days for public figures not to have protection. I know one thing for certain, I will do everything I can to avoid being a defenseless victim, and I'm not a famous public figure by any stretch of the imagination. But defensive insurance is a much different thing than an offensive threat. VERY different.
    That brings us back to the on or off the field judgement issue. Individuals who have good judgement will make the best, most dependably good, players and teammates.
    Like someone else said, for the personnel department it's a balancing act. But they'll win a lot more of those bets sticking with guys who show good solid judgement.

Again though....It reportedly wasn't Dunbar with the gun, no?
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• Appyhawk wrote:You make some good points Sgt, and I heartily approve of them for the most part. Start with new chance for someone who messed up. Thing is there are levels of "messing up". Gunplay is a level that is a deal breaker.

I have no idea what role Dunbar had in what went down, but in general I'm for giving guys 2nd chances for most legal issues.

I have a much harsher opinion though when it comes to things like abuse, battery and domestic violence. But even with that you never really know the whole story, like with what happened to Reed.

So bottom line IMO is it's better to have a case by case let's see the details of what happened and try to figure out if this is a player that's contrite, remorseful and willing to take the necessary steps to get back on the right track. Rather than have some hardline all encompassing stance or rule about legal problems.

I mean, wouldn't we like to be afforded that with our own jobs and lives? Why wouldn't we with others?
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Appyhawk wrote:Yes, I knew that, Tabs. But again with the levels. Having a gun and pulling it out as a direct threat to someone are two different things. Lots of players have them. Too many crazies running around with guns these days for public figures not to have protection. I know one thing for certain, I will do everything I can to avoid being a defenseless victim, and I'm not a famous public figure by any stretch of the imagination. But defensive insurance is a much different thing than an offensive threat. VERY different.

"Having a gun and pulling it out as a direct threat to someone are two different things." When did Dunbar do any of this? You know he never had a gun, right?
    TAB420
    NET Veteran

Multiple gun charges and drugs in the car. I for one am glad we gave him a 2nd chance.

http://views.washingtonpost.com/theleag ... anors.html
    TAB420
    NET Veteran

Previous

It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:47 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information