Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This offseason has been a total disaster!

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • I had high hopes going into the offseason that we would dramatically improve the roster. However, it seems like things have not gone as planned at all. I don’t think they have improved the pass rush at all. The one guy I thought was going to really solidify the defensive back field looks to going to prison without having played a down with the Seahawks. The cap was mostly used on backups and low level starters, which is not an ideal plan when you need quality starters. I understand that with all the craziness going on in the world things had to change on the fly. I just don’t think we have improved enough to take the next step. I think it will be another year of making the playoffs but getting beat in wildcard or divisional round. I will be the first to admit that I was wrong and I do not pretend that I know anywhere near as much as the front office because I do it I am just a fan. It does seem as though they have been missing on a number of players recently. I do hope I am wrong.
    emurri
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 382
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 9:24 am


  • It's gonna be about injuries and health and depth as much as top-level talent. Schneider and Carroll are working hard to have quality depth across the roster, without overpaying. Our two lost Super Bowls, in addition to XL officiating woes, resulted from having $h!t for depth at a couple key positions*.

    We're going to have some pleasant surprises... a couple-three guys from the last 2 drafts will start producing -- our 1st round pick from this year, the speedy LB, will impress and play well; LJ Collier will emerge as "JAG", which is an improvement over "invisible". One of our two edge rusher draft picks will emerge as someone who can apply pressure; Bruce Irvin will have a good season. Greg Olson will emerge as Russell Wilson's security blanket--and then promptly get injured, but he'll coach up the other dudes and come back for the playoffs. Our new-look O-Line will emerge as run-game maulers, and our 6th round RB will turn sure 7-yard gains into 4 yard gains, but will catch the ball on 3rd down for a first down, or pick up the blitz for Russell to hit DK deep, so a net plus. Penny will be back by December, in good form. Carson will have a few good games, but will be injured a lot of the season. Russ will ball out, best year yet, and carry us. Defense will suck a little less than last year.

    Clowney might still come back. We'll pick up a couple serviceable veterans, including at DT, for a good price. They'll revive their career here.

    When we win, it will seem like things are held together by chewing gum and baling twine. It won't be boring! Pro tip:
    Be sure not to skip your heart medication on game day.

    We will emerge as a force in December, and enter the playoffs strong. We will win our first two playoff games, first at home, and the second on the road, on a big defensive play, a pick or a strip-sack fumble returned for a TD. After that, my crystal ball gets cloudy, and the replacement magic 8-ball hasn't arrived yet. I think it's being shipped from China.

    Sheesh, Ye of little faith. Get thee to Vegas NOW!! and bet a few grand for the 'Hawks to be in the Super Bowl. Safer than buying stocks!!

    * In XL, we trotted out street free agent Etric Pruitt after Strong Safety Marquand Manuel went down in the first half. He got burned like In XLIX, Carroll inexplicably rostered Tharald Simon as active, and slot corner Marcus Burley as inactive. Brady and his receivers torched Simon at will during the key drives.
    Last edited by olyfan63 on Thu May 14, 2020 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3080
    Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:03 am


  • First year following the Seahawks?

    Every year they add bums you never heard of, yet every January they are playing in the playoffs and winning road games.

    This team has won more Playoff road games in three seasons than they did in the prior 40 seasons combined.

    If you want to win the "off-season" every year go root for the Cowboys and Redskins.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2624
    Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:54 am


  • “Every year they add bums you never heard of, yet every January they are playing in the playoffs and winning road games.”

    Really? Every January? We have won one playoff game the past three years and that was against a totally depleted Philly team that, as a result, might have been one of the worst teams to ever make the playoffs. I don’t think that counts as a great success considering we have Russell Wilson as our quarterback. I think John and Pete have done an amazing job here for the most part and we have been incredibly competitive through their tenure. One side effect of winning is higher expectations and right now I don’t think we are going to meet those expectations. But I do think things could change quickly with John and the way he makes trades.
    emurri
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 382
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 9:24 am


  • emurri wrote:
    Really? Every January? We have won one playoff game the past three years and that was against a totally depleted Philly team that, as a result, might have been one of the worst teams to ever make the playoffs. I don’t think that counts as a great success considering we have Russell Wilson as our quarterback. I think John and Pete have done an amazing job here for the most part and we have been incredibly competitive through their tenure. One side effect of winning is higher expectations and right now I don’t think we are going to meet those expectations. But I do think things could change quickly with John and the way he makes trades.


    You just confirmed you have been a fan sine 2017. I have to block you.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2624
    Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:54 am


  • Hard to say what this offseason is going to be like when it comes down to things. Still a lot of time to go before the first kickoff. Hell we may not even have a football season.

    I will say this right now, if we had the opening kickoff tomorrow I think we'd be in the same exact spot that we were last year.

    My main issue with this offseason is we didn't really do much to address our line. We cut Britt and let our best guard walk away in free agency. The guys we brought in are backup caliber, and only strong in run blocking. Our best guard is ancient, and has a storied history when it comes to injuries. Our left tackle is now one of the oldest in the league, and he's now played just as many seasons as Walter Jones did. We have no viable backup plan here, and our solutions at center are BJ Finney, Procic, and Hunt, three guys who quite frankly have looked pretty bad when forced into starting positions. Our rookie is more of a project type of player who excels at run blocking, but not at pass protection. While we signed free agents I think we worsened our overall talent level by jettisoning Britt and DJ Fluker.

    At RB we have some serious issues with depth. There is the potential for Penny to miss half of the season, and even when he comes back he's probably not going to have the same kind of explosion -- not at least until next season. That just leaves us with Carson, a back that has been injured every year he's been in the NFL, a back that had injury issues all the way back to college. Behind Carson we have a roster of third down, and change of pace backs. The new guy we drafted is clunky, and raw. He's a conversion from WR and he looks the part. He was taken as a project.

    On defense we didn't do much to address some major concerns. Bruce Irvin and Mayowa are not an upgrade from Clowney. Irvin is a one trick pony that is undersized as a pass rusher. The guy we drafted at DE is once again a guy that we're not going to see very much this year. He is extremely raw, like him as a prospect but I'm not expecting him to contribute right away. The guys we have behind Mayowa and Irvin looked really bad last year. The only thing Green and Collier had going for them is youth last season. To add to this we don't have a strong roster of interior defenders. In fact we have arguably gotten worse here with the subtraction of Jefferson.

    Our linebacking unit could also take a dive. At times KJ Wright looked BAD, especially in coverage. I don't have much faith in our first round pick either. I've watched about 7 games of him in total and I just walked away scratching my head. His best asset seems to be as a blitzer. Unfortunately he missed a lot of easy tackles, tends to run himself out of plays -- and he seemed to struggle in coverage, even the year before when he was an outside linebacker. We're going to experience growing pains, I can tell you that much.

    Our secondary still has some of the same issues with Dunbar getting himself suspended and potentially incarcerated. We're relying on Flowers taking a leap this year now. We also don't have much going for us at nickle.

    Overall I don't think we did a great job of addressing some of our biggest issues. I respect the Dunbar trade, I think it was a good move at the time. Nothing was there to tell us he would do THIS. Our moves to shore up our offensive line were weak and short-sighted. Irvin and Mayowa are bandaids that are put over a gaping, festering wound.

    TL;DR?

    We're relying on a lot of young guys who haven't exactly shown anything in the NFL yet to step up for us. I think the biggest area of failure was at offensive line this offseason and we haven't done much to address our weak defensive line.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3348
    Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:31 am


  • :34853_doh:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 15400
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • :240039: :240039: :240039: :240039:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 19413
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


  • Wilson will drag this team kicking and screaming into the playoffs as usual. They'll lose their first playoff game as usual. The fans will rejoice and call it a successful season as usual. Rinse and repeat.
    ducks41468
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 390
    Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:41 pm


  • Spin Doctor wrote:Hard to say what this offseason is going to be like when it comes down to things. Still a lot of time to go before the first kickoff. Hell we may not even have a football season.

    I will say this right now, if we had the opening kickoff tomorrow I think we'd be in the same exact spot that we were last year.

    My main issue with this offseason is we didn't really do much to address our line. We cut Britt and let our best guard walk away in free agency. The guys we brought in are backup caliber, and only strong in run blocking. Our best guard is ancient, and has a storied history when it comes to injuries. Our left tackle is now one of the oldest in the league, and he's now played just as many seasons as Walter Jones did. We have no viable backup plan here, and our solutions at center are BJ Finney, Procic, and Hunt, three guys who quite frankly have looked pretty bad when forced into starting positions. Our rookie is more of a project type of player who excels at run blocking, but not at pass protection. While we signed free agents I think we worsened our overall talent level by jettisoning Britt and DJ Fluker.

    At RB we have some serious issues with depth. There is the potential for Penny to miss half of the season, and even when he comes back he's probably not going to have the same kind of explosion -- not at least until next season. That just leaves us with Carson, a back that has been injured every year he's been in the NFL, a back that had injury issues all the way back to college. Behind Carson we have a roster of third down, and change of pace backs. The new guy we drafted is clunky, and raw. He's a conversion from WR and he looks the part. He was taken as a project.

    On defense we didn't do much to address some major concerns. Bruce Irvin and Mayowa are not an upgrade from Clowney. Irvin is a one trick pony that is undersized as a pass rusher. The guy we drafted at DE is once again a guy that we're not going to see very much this year. He is extremely raw, like him as a prospect but I'm not expecting him to contribute right away. The guys we have behind Mayowa and Irvin looked really bad last year. The only thing Green and Collier had going for them is youth last season. To add to this we don't have a strong roster of interior defenders. In fact we have arguably gotten worse here with the subtraction of Jefferson.

    Our linebacking unit could also take a dive. At times KJ Wright looked BAD, especially in coverage. I don't have much faith in our first round pick either. I've watched about 7 games of him in total and I just walked away scratching my head. His best asset seems to be as a blitzer. Unfortunately he missed a lot of easy tackles, tends to run himself out of plays -- and he seemed to struggle in coverage, even the year before when he was an outside linebacker. We're going to experience growing pains, I can tell you that much.

    Our secondary still has some of the same issues with Dunbar getting himself suspended and potentially incarcerated. We're relying on Flowers taking a leap this year now. We also don't have much going for us at nickle.

    Overall I don't think we did a great job of addressing some of our biggest issues. I respect the Dunbar trade, I think it was a good move at the time. Nothing was there to tell us he would do THIS. Our moves to shore up our offensive line were weak and short-sighted. Irvin and Mayowa are bandaids that are put over a gaping, festering wound.

    TL;DR?

    We're relying on a lot of young guys who haven't exactly shown anything in the NFL yet to step up for us. I think the biggest area of failure was at offensive line this offseason and we haven't done much to address our weak defensive line.


    This is pretty much how I look at it as well. A few postives, but a lot of negatives. We will probably be looking at a wildcard at best and early exit from the playoffs. But there is also the chance of much worse. Certainly not any better at this point in the game. A lot will ride on if PC does in fact open up the offense and bring a completely different tempo from the first quarter thru the end of the game. I don't think he will at all.
    kf3339
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter
     
    Posts: 3134
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:52 pm


  • Wow, drama town indeed. Have a drink and relax. Geezus man, it's May 15th. SO much can happen before the season. But hey, do you :irishdrinkers:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 15400
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • emurri wrote:I had high hopes going into the offseason that we would dramatically improve the roster. However, it seems like things have not gone as planned at all. I don’t think they have improved the pass rush at all. The one guy I thought was going to really solidify the defensive back field looks to going to prison without having played a down with the Seahawks. The cap was mostly used on backups and low level starters, which is not an ideal plan when you need quality starters. I understand that with all the craziness going on in the world things had to change on the fly. I just don’t think we have improved enough to take the next step. I think it will be another year of making the playoffs but getting beat in wildcard or divisional round. I will be the first to admit that I was wrong and I do not pretend that I know anywhere near as much as the front office because I do it I am just a fan. It does seem as though they have been missing on a number of players recently. I do hope I am wrong.


    Nonsense. :roll:
    beaumaris
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 91
    Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:09 pm


  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Wow, drama town indeed. Have a drink and relax. Geezus man, it's May 15th. SO much can happen before the season. But hey, do you :irishdrinkers:


    Hmm, I see this type of comment posted a lot. "There is always more time" as if the better players aren't already gone.

    PC and JS are like the person that gets up at 10 am on Black Friday and expects to find a good deal. They might eventually find what they want (if it's not sold out) but not at the price they want.

    They think they can turn straw into gold because they are so much smarter than everyone else. Some here will point to the 10% that might pan out but staunchly refuse to acknowledge the 90% that don't. I wish they were right more often but for the past 5 years they have sucked in talent acquisition. Again, 10%. DK, Clowney (for only 1 year) and few others - yes. But the lists of disappointments or outright failures (draft and FAs) list is much much longer.
    JayhawkMike
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 353
    Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:06 pm


  • I wouldn't call it a disaster but, it certainly hasn't shaped up to where most of us thought it would.

    JS and PC....have as much trust as you can muster. We still have some glaring holes on the roster...you can throw CB back into that discussion as well if the reports on Dunbar's recent extracurricular activities are true.

    Just a thought but....it's funny to see all of the concerns which are valid in many ways. D-Line, secondary...etc. RB is a concern as well dependent upon CCs health. Penny? I don't even think you can throw his name into the mix at this point. I'll take a shot in the dark and say our RB draft picks are most likely not going to be productive leading to not having a roster spot. I know...give the kids a chance. I know where Carson was drafted as well. Glass half full? That's fine because every season in the last several years has hinged upon the success of ONE player.

    Straight to the point: Satisfaction about making the playoffs, comparisons to the dark days in the past (I suffered with all the fans during those days), are great response fodder when criticism arises. Fact is if this team doesn't make significant moves (you can scratch this year off....season or no season), they will waste the greatest talent Seattle's ever had.

    Take a mid to lower tier QB and put him on this team. Welcome to 4-12, 5-11....
    Elemas
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 389
    Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:02 pm


  • Man this is entertaining. The sky is falling on May 15th. Got it
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 15400
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Man this is entertaining. The sky is falling on May 15th. Got it


    So, repeating the same thing over and over again doesn't make it true. Back it up. Who is out there and available that would fill the key areas that have not been addressed?
    JayhawkMike
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 353
    Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:06 pm


  • JayhawkMike wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:Man this is entertaining. The sky is falling on May 15th. Got it


    So, repeating the same thing over and over again doesn't make it true. Back it up. Who is out there and available that would fill the key areas that have not been addressed?


    He can't back it up. He is consistent with that type of remark when he doesn't like your comment.
    kf3339
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter
     
    Posts: 3134
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:52 pm


  • It hasn't been great lol
    King Dog
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1854
    Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:13 am
    Location: Phoenix, AZ


  • I always temper my optimistic norm with reality checks. As one who is very much quality over quantity (I would far rather have a few nice things than a pile of junk) I often see the moves we make as counter productive. The O Line moves this year have been particularly perplexing. For a FO who so often whiffs with Rnd 1 picks, and even more often trades them away for more picks later, they seem to gravitate toward signing former 1st rnd picks who never materialized. I question the logic of that approach.
    We picked up a few nice players in the draft this year that could possibly help us out, but virtually ignored positions of serious need. It's like treating serious wounds with a band-aid. Really bad wound? Get two band-aids! It basically comes down to prioritizing your value system. I do not agree that assigning higher value to something available at a lower price is the wise move. When you have roster limits and cap limits it does not make sense to me to use both those acquiring lots of bodies, most of whom will never play at the desired level.
    As one who has never been an advocate of blind faith acceptance I feel this year is not yet a bust, but is certainly not heading in the best direction for an outstanding result.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 991
    Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:43 pm
    Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.


  • The success of this team is going to depend on the progression of last year's rookies, and what kind of impact this year's rookies will have imo.

    Which is sort of disappointing considering how everyone was hyping up all the cap space we were supposed to have, and it all just kind of disappeared on a few washed up guys (Irvin, Mayowa, the army of below average o linemen).
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3099
    Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:39 am
    Location: Spokane, WA


  • JayhawkMike wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:Man this is entertaining. The sky is falling on May 15th. Got it


    So, repeating the same thing over and over again doesn't make it true. Back it up. Who is out there and available that would fill the key areas that have not been addressed?


    No one. Hey, if you are a true fan and remember the team being outright terrible, have faith that every 7th round pick will turn out like Carson, and (now...this next one's a stretch) believe that without improvement this team is still a contender, you too can celebrate making the playoffs.

    What's wrong with you bruh?
    Elemas
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 389
    Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:02 pm


  • JayhawkMike wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:Man this is entertaining. The sky is falling on May 15th. Got it


    So, repeating the same thing over and over again doesn't make it true. Back it up. Who is out there and available that would fill the key areas that have not been addressed?


    I thought we were trading for Garrett? No? :stirthepot:
    Ace_Rimmer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1798
    Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:59 am
    Location: Vancouver, BC


  • Well the new rule of 7 teams in the playoffs might work out in our favor this season. Really I think our division has gotten stronger, while we are staying the same if not worse. Cardinals for sure will be better, have they did enough to surpass, we shall see. The 49ers seemed to improve through the draft/trades and the Rams with the mastermind HC, you never can count them out - were playing some of the best ball to end the season last year. Not to mention the Cowboys have improved along with a few other teams. Will be interesting...if the season is played.
    Fanatics
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 151
    Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:21 am


  • Geezus man, lighten up. We all have our opinions. It's a damn message board. Don't like my opinion, too bad. Interesting off season to say the least. Disaster? A little early, but I do agree they still have some work to do. In fact, a lot of work to do really.
    Who is available that would help fill the needs? Um, Clowney and Griffin for starters. And if Dunbar doesn't play, which isn't looking good at all, Logan Ryan is available. Though it's not likely they have cap $ for him. There are still plenty of veteran corners available if they want to add one, and I can't see them NOT adding a vet at Corner if this Dunbar thing gets him cut and/or suspended.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 15400
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • LOL the SKY IS FALLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dude lighten up. We will be better on both sides of the ball when its all said and done. Book it.
    Chukarhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2604
    Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:14 pm


  • Well maybe instead of what 17 O lineman on the roster a few weeks ago we should have brought in another 25.

    People get caught up in not having names they know in positions, time after time we get guys that can play, may not be pro bowlers but you can't have 53 pro bowlers on the roster and afford to pay them, I think before measuring our success this off season we should at least get to pre season and see if some of these guys can stand out from the rest.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 31509
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • Good points chris, and I don't doubt some of our players WILL stand out from the rest. Problem with that is maybe they are standing out on a roster of slaughterhouse rescues but will be expected to compete on the track with fields comprised of competitive thoroughbreds. How much would you bet on that working?
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 991
    Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:43 pm
    Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.


  • The Dunbar incident is a big deal as he was a key off-season addition. I kind of liked their approach to upgrading the secondary instead of the DL, but if that is down the tubes then it's a big setback for sure.

    I do think calling the entire off-season a disaster is premature.

    The skill positions are clearly better. Last season, our RB and TE groups lost almost everybody to injury and two of our wide receivers were rookies. This year, Dorsett and Olsen are both upgrades while Carson and Dissly will at least start out relatively healthy. Metcalf, Homer, and Ursua should be better as sophomores, while Parkinson and Sullivan give Russ some much needed big possession targets.

    At offensive line, Britt and Ifedi were not that good and then Britt went down. Finney and Shell should turn out to be upgrades over Hunt and Ifedi. Iupati played in 16 games last season, and we drafted Lewis not as future depth but because they thought he was ready to play immediately. We also still have our other young depth (Phil Haynes, Jamarco Jones, Jordan Simmons) who were hurt last year but are currently healthy. So much of the OL outcomes will depend on our injury luck that you can't form conclusions in May.

    At defensive line I can understand the concern. However, they've been adding lots of rookies over the last couple of seasons; Ford, Christmas and Mone inside, Green, Collier, Taylor and Robinson outside. Our only pricey guy is Reed, and it's difficult to know what to expect from him. Irvin and Mayowa were not particularly exciting pickups, but the young players will develop a lot faster if given playing time. We also still have plenty of cap to add another traditional late free agency DT veteran.

    If you want to be skeptical that none of our DL youth will improve this year then that's your prerogative but that's just pessimism. I still maintain that if you re-watch the GB playoff game you will never see Aaron Rodgers standing in the pocket comfortably. They just had him take really deep drops or scramble out of the pocket and then quickly get the ball out. We could add the top 4 DEs in the NFL and if the opposing QB throws immediately out of shotgun it wouldn't lead to any sacks.

    On that note, I was excited that the secondary looked to be hugely improved with Diggs and Dunbar. We'll see how things develop with Dunbar, but if it looks like he won't play then I wouldn't be surprised if they made another move here. In my view whether this off-season is a failure will come down to whether we successfully fixed the secondary or not.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4159
    Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:08 pm
    Location: Seattle


  • The Hawks will be lucky if they win two games this year. Everyone on the team is either really old, really slow, or tiny, like really tiny, with little tiny football hands and chubby little feet. How they tie their shoes without falling over is a mystery.

    There, how's that? Just thought I'd take a shot at being a gloomer. Not really my thing. :pukeface: :snack:
    WarHawks
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 116
    Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:35 pm


  • Boom :irishdrinkers:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 15400
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • looking on the sunny side...if no camp...less injuries . :sarcasm_off:
    xray
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2758
    Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:29 am
    Location: AZ


  • I do totally agree that injuries may be the biggest factor in determining the success of any team. I truly believe if we could remain healthy, without the major injuries we have had the past few years that we could be in contention for a championship.

    I do think we have to get some more help on the defensive line and, unfortunately, now the secondary. I was really excited about adding Dunbar and I really felt the along with Diggs we were going to see a really good secondary.

    I do think there are guys out there that can be signed or traded for that would make things much better and I would surprised if John and Pete don’t make a number of moves. If we stay with what we have now I think we could struggle some this year.

    I do think that our draft picks from last year will step up and start to make a bigger impact. I am not as down on guys like Collier and Flowers That many around here are. I still think Penny could become a stud and make a great one-two punch with Carson. I think we had a great draft this year and I am really excited for what they will bring to the team. But without d-line help and now secondary help I don’t see us making a serious run in the playoffs.

    Obviously we don’t now how things will turn out and some guys could really step up and we become a Super Bowl challenger. These are just my opinions and I could be totally wrong. I was thinking with the money we had going into the offseason that we would have more of a free agency period like we did in 2013.
    emurri
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 382
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 9:24 am


  • WarHawks wrote:The Hawks will be lucky if they win two games this year. Everyone on the team is either really old, really slow, or tiny, like really tiny, with little tiny football hands and chubby little feet. How they tie their shoes without falling over is a mystery.

    There, how's that? Just thought I'd take a shot at being a gloomer. Not really my thing. :pukeface: :snack:


    Joey Hunt tiny, BBK tiny or Ugo Amani tiny?
    King Dog
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1854
    Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:13 am
    Location: Phoenix, AZ


  • I remember being at a car wash and texting my buddy "holy **** we got Avril and Bennett." Now THAT was an off season.
    King Dog
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1854
    Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:13 am
    Location: Phoenix, AZ


  • chris98251 wrote:Well maybe instead of what 17 O lineman on the roster a few weeks ago we should have brought in another 25.

    People get caught up in not having names they know in positions, time after time we get guys that can play, may not be pro bowlers but you can't have 53 pro bowlers on the roster and afford to pay them, I think before measuring our success this off season we should at least get to pre season and see if some of these guys can stand out from the rest.



    OK, a calm and reasonable post. I am excited to see what John Schneider Pete Carroll have put together.
    morgulon1
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4649
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 11:07 am
    Location: Spokane, Wa


  • I was hoping the Eeyores would give it a rest until at least the preseason. I should know better.

    To anyone crying about this team, consider being a Mariners fan. Your attitude is more fitting for that $h!t.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6590
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:44 pm
    Location: In the basement of Reynholm Industries


  • Maulbert wrote:Don't come to a discussion board and have a discussion I don't like! Shut the hell up until after the preseason and then I will tell you to shut up until after the season. I don't like what you are saying so go away because I am closed minded and only care about my opinion and those that agree with it.


    Thought I would clarify it for you. Too bad that instead of being a place that fans of the Seahawks can have differing opinions it is a place that posters are a*hole to each other.
    JayhawkMike
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 353
    Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:06 pm


  • [code][/code]
    JayhawkMike wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:Don't come to a discussion board and have a discussion I don't like! Shut the hell up until after the preseason and then I will tell you to shut up until after the season. I don't like what you are saying so go away because I am closed minded and only care about my opinion and those that agree with it.


    Thought I would clarify it for you. Too bad that instead of being a place that fans of the Seahawks can have differing opinions it is a place that posters are a*hole to each other.


    Get off your cross, victim. I didn't say anything like that. This is a hyperbolic topic that is in no way constructive, just a place for whiners to piss and moan. I'm not saying it should be closed, I'm just calling you out for what you are.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6590
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:44 pm
    Location: In the basement of Reynholm Industries


  • I can see that despite other going by need and position have constructively added to the board while you are homeless guy on the side of the road giving everyone the finger. You should just accept that you are "that guy."

    Have a great day Karen.
    JayhawkMike
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 353
    Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:06 pm


  • Oh man, "Over-Reaction Monday" gets here on Fridays during the off-season!

    One of Pete's core competencies as a coach, that he does better than any other coach in the NFL, IMO, is to lead a staff and environment that rapidly coaches up and develops young guys into NFL-quality players. ("Rapidly" includes redshirt guys who emerge as NFL-quality players in their 2nd and 3rd years)

    As Spin Doctor put it, "We're relying on a lot of young guys who haven't exactly shown anything in the NFL yet to step up for us. I think the biggest area of failure was at offensive line this offseason and we haven't done much to address our weak defensive line."

    While I think our O-Line is going to be a surprise strength, our D-Line, especially DT spots, are looking a bit shaky right now.

    But yeah, we are relying on a lot of young guys who haven't exactly proven anything in the NFL. Pete's redshirt classes. So it will be Christmas in September? (As in DeMarcus, the redshirt DL) Will LJ start Colliering QBs? Will Tre Flowers truly blossom in his 3rd season? Jordan Simmons HAS proven himself as a player in the NFL, but hasn't proven he can stay healthy. Will BBK emerge as an NFL-level player? Our TE meeting room wil be *fascinating*, will Uncle Will ever be back to impose his will? Our 7th rounder, will Greg Olson turn him into a force of nature? Will Cliff Avril come on board and coach up our two edge rusher draft picks?

    We also don't know what scheme adjustments Pete and Schotty and Norton are in the process of making to take advantage of personnel. More up-tempo offense? I think we get so focused on players and talent acquisition it's easy to overlook scheme changes that can make a real difference. That stuff is part of the offseason too. Don't overlook the culture of buy-in among the players that Pete & Co have going on here; in a season disrupted by Covid-19 lockdown, that could make a big difference.

    The other point I think is being overlooked here, is DEPTH. We were injury-decimated at the end of last season. If our practice squad TE gains 18 more inches on that play, we still Freakin WIN THE DIVISION, over a 49ers team that had a double-digit 4th quarter Super Bowl lead. Carroll & Co. were plugging leaks left and right. When our stars are unavailable, do we have guys ready for "next man up"? Guys who can at least play at an "average" NFL level, or is there a huge dropoff? So, IMO, panning the pickups of guys like Benson Mayowa and Bruce Irvin misses the point. We lost SB49 when Cliff Avril went down with a concussion, as much as we lost it on "The Pick". Nobody else was able to generate pressure. And NE "disappeared" Chris Matthews in the 2nd half, and repeatedly torched sucky Tharald Simon. Have Carroll and Schneider done well at acquiring/developing quality *depth*, without overpaying? In 2013, we steamrolled the opposition because we had a ton of young guys, and veterans, outplay their contracts by a wide margin. IF Quinton Dunbar plays, he's one of those guys who has the potential to outplay his contract by a factor of 2X or more.

    TL; DR;
    When grading the offseason, also pay attention to quality of depth across the roster, and guys who are primed to significantly outplay their contract. A serviceable "Next man up" is as likely to win key games, or, more accurately, not be the "weakest link" glaring flaw opponents can repeatedly exploit to defeat us.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3080
    Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:03 am


  • The depth on the team was a severe weakness last year and they addressed it in a large way. Also drafted some apparent defensive players that will be very good going forward.

    Hard to be bummed about it for me. They NEVER had as much cap as what was projected for FA, which is where they were supposedly to address DL. They did with a couple of role playing dudes. Dunbar was a nice get, but now that appears to be gone.

    TE had a major upgrade, so did OL. Everyone b!@ch about OL on here including me, but they have awesome competition this year.

    Offense looks good in my eyes, still major concerns with the D. But far from a disaster.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 36523
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:38 pm
    Location: The Tex-ASS


  • JayhawkMike wrote:I can see that despite other going by need and position have constructively added to the board while you are homeless guy on the side of the road giving everyone the finger. You should just accept that you are "that guy."

    Have a great day Karen.


    What a drama queen.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6590
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:44 pm
    Location: In the basement of Reynholm Industries


  • Disaster..maybe

    Problem is some dont care, get to the playoffs, loose in the 2nd round they are happy after all "half the teams would be happy with that". paraphrasing

    If your goal is 1 and done in the playoffs we could be good

    If your goal is improvement get by the 2nd round, then NFC champ and then win an SB yea it's been very disappointing.

    But on the other hand been waiting since 2011 for a pass blocking oline that can rank in the top half of the league and still dont have it. Probably never will with this FO.

    So taking the of season by itself, without looking at what we have, how great our QB is, it was not a good off season at all.

    If you look at it form what we needed

    pass rush NOPE
    pass blocking NOPE
    DB .....if he stays out of jail MAYBE

    So still nope

    Basically we are no better than we were last year, except our 2 stud LBs are a year older,
    our 2 starting RBs are coming off injuries
    our oline has changed again and still cant pass block
    and wasted another year of Wilson

    now on the positive side DK has a year under his belt, problem is we are a run first team, sophomore slump etc.

    My best case prediction 10-5 w out in the 2nd round again. probably 9-6 out in the first round, given everyone in our division got better.

    Hope I am wrong, but as of now that what is looks like.
    John63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2788
    Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:56 pm



  • ducks41468 wrote:Wilson will drag this team kicking and screaming into the playoffs as usual. They'll lose their first playoff game as usual. The fans will rejoice and call it a successful season as usual. Rinse and repeat.



    As usual being a team that annually makes the playoffs isn't good enough for some fans who perhaps weren't following the team when it rarely if ever made the playoffs like numerous other teams in the NFL. Count your blessings you aren't a fan of one of the sad sack teams.

    Nobody ever rejoices about being knocked out of the playoffs whenever it happens but you should note the team often wins the first round but gets knocked out in the 2nd round lately. Yes, without a doubt Wilson is special, but so are quite a few others that don't quite get the recognition they deserve.

    Lots of hyperbole and negativity in this thread. You know the team truly limped into the playoffs last season with an 11-5 record. They were one yard away from defeating SF 2 x which would have given them a playoff bye, they were closer than the negative folks accept to going a lot deeper in the playoffs than somewhere acknowledge and there were reasons why their exit happened too. It was too bad the whole RB corps were by then on IR save for a rookie 4th string player.

    I suspect this season's team will surprise us and be a lot better than some 'experts' are predicting.

    The offseason is far from being over and the team still has a more than $15 million in cap to fix a few areas. The Dunbar situation seems to not be as bad as initially believed and he may not have done anything wrong at all.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 6970
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:13 pm


  • And here we go again, John telling people that they don't care. For the 734th time, NOBODY is happy when they lose in the playoffs. Geezus man, give it a rest.
    And it's LOSE. Also, the team plays 16 games, just so you know. :?
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 15400
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • You're right soul bro. John's post wasn't perfect. Doubt I've ever made a perfect post either. But a few little gaffs don' t negate the solid points he made. In fact, his post kind of mirrors the situation our team is in. It seems like they did a great job of maximizing their opportunities last year, given all considerations, but just weren't quite good enough to get past the problems at the end of the year.
    Question is how do we get better so as to improve on what we have? Obviously the answer is to find and fix the problems. Have we done that?
    Doesn't look to me like we have. In fact we may even have regressed, while from appearances our division opponents (not named Rams) have improved. The big picture in Seahawkville isn't all roses and confetti. Again.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 991
    Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:43 pm
    Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.


  • Time will tell. However, telling people that they don't care because they don't go full sky is falling is getting old.
    Absolutely they have some work to do, and the D is a concern still imo.
    I would argue that with Carson and Penny in the mix, they would have knocked off GB. That running game was rolling. Shoot, they were one drive from advancing to the NFC title game, even with all those injuries. Good enough? Absolutely not, but a total disaster? It's Mid-May, way more can be accomplished before the season.
    Get Clowney or Griffen on that D line and I'll feel a lot better. Still think they will also add a veteran DT, which is also needed.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 15400
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • This off-season is starting to feel like a wash--if not the whole year in general.

    We all know P&J will be working to fill the obvious deficiencies. We just won't know how successful they are until practice and real games begin. Brooks looks like the only sure thing from the draft. Right now, the team is more or less the same team from last year; no pass rush, average to below average O-line, leaky secondary.
    thegameq
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 72
    Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:50 am


  • SoulfishHawk wrote:And here we go again, John telling people that they don't care. For the 734th time, NOBODY is happy when they lose in the playoffs. Geezus man, give it a rest.
    And it's LOSE. Also, the team plays 16 games, just so you know. :?

    Not sure where everyone else stands on this, but I would rather the team play more than 16 games.
    Sun Tzu
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 246
    Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:45 am
    Location: Corvallis


Next


It is currently Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:57 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], LegionHawk12, Majestic-12 [Bot] and 77 guests