This offseason has been a total disaster!

emurri

Reaction score
I had high hopes going into the offseason that we would dramatically improve the roster. However, it seems like things have not gone as planned at all. I don’t think they have improved the pass rush at all. The one guy I thought was going to really solidify the defensive back field looks to going to prison without having played a down with the Seahawks. The cap was mostly used on backups and low level starters, which is not an ideal plan when you need quality starters. I understand that with all the craziness going on in the world things had to change on the fly. I just don’t think we have improved enough to take the next step. I think it will be another year of making the playoffs but getting beat in wildcard or divisional round. I will be the first to admit that I was wrong and I do not pretend that I know anywhere near as much as the front office because I do it I am just a fan. It does seem as though they have been missing on a number of players recently. I do hope I am wrong.

olyfan63

Reaction score
It's gonna be about injuries and health and depth as much as top-level talent. Schneider and Carroll are working hard to have quality depth across the roster, without overpaying. Our two lost Super Bowls, in addition to XL officiating woes, resulted from having shit for depth at a couple key positions*.

We're going to have some pleasant surprises... a couple-three guys from the last 2 drafts will start producing -- our 1st round pick from this year, the speedy LB, will impress and play well; LJ Collier will emerge as "JAG", which is an improvement over "invisible". One of our two edge rusher draft picks will emerge as someone who can apply pressure; Bruce Irvin will have a good season. Greg Olson will emerge as Russell Wilson's security blanket--and then promptly get injured, but he'll coach up the other dudes and come back for the playoffs. Our new-look O-Line will emerge as run-game maulers, and our 6th round RB will turn sure 7-yard gains into 4 yard gains, but will catch the ball on 3rd down for a first down, or pick up the blitz for Russell to hit DK deep, so a net plus. Penny will be back by December, in good form. Carson will have a few good games, but will be injured a lot of the season. Russ will ball out, best year yet, and carry us. Defense will suck a little less than last year.

Clowney might still come back. We'll pick up a couple serviceable veterans, including at DT, for a good price. They'll revive their career here.

When we win, it will seem like things are held together by chewing gum and baling twine. It won't be boring! Pro tip:
Be sure not to skip your heart medication on game day.

We will emerge as a force in December, and enter the playoffs strong. We will win our first two playoff games, first at home, and the second on the road, on a big defensive play, a pick or a strip-sack fumble returned for a TD. After that, my crystal ball gets cloudy, and the replacement magic 8-ball hasn't arrived yet. I think it's being shipped from China.

Sheesh, Ye of little faith. Get thee to Vegas NOW!! and bet a few grand for the 'Hawks to be in the Super Bowl. Safer than buying stocks!!

* In XL, we trotted out street free agent Etric Pruitt after Strong Safety Marquand Manuel went down in the first half. He got burned like In XLIX, Carroll inexplicably rostered Tharald Simon as active, and slot corner Marcus Burley as inactive. Brady and his receivers torched Simon at will during the key drives.

sdog1981

Reaction score
First year following the Seahawks?

Every year they add bums you never heard of, yet every January they are playing in the playoffs and winning road games.

This team has won more Playoff road games in three seasons than they did in the prior 40 seasons combined.

If you want to win the "off-season" every year go root for the Cowboys and Redskins.

OP
OP
emurri

emurri

Reaction score
“Every year they add bums you never heard of, yet every January they are playing in the playoffs and winning road games.”

Really? Every January? We have won one playoff game the past three years and that was against a totally depleted Philly team that, as a result, might have been one of the worst teams to ever make the playoffs. I don’t think that counts as a great success considering we have Russell Wilson as our quarterback. I think John and Pete have done an amazing job here for the most part and we have been incredibly competitive through their tenure. One side effect of winning is higher expectations and right now I don’t think we are going to meet those expectations. But I do think things could change quickly with John and the way he makes trades.

sdog1981

Reaction score
emurri":2t8zykkx said:
Really? Every January? We have won one playoff game the past three years and that was against a totally depleted Philly team that, as a result, might have been one of the worst teams to ever make the playoffs. I don’t think that counts as a great success considering we have Russell Wilson as our quarterback. I think John and Pete have done an amazing job here for the most part and we have been incredibly competitive through their tenure. One side effect of winning is higher expectations and right now I don’t think we are going to meet those expectations. But I do think things could change quickly with John and the way he makes trades.

You just confirmed you have been a fan sine 2017. I have to block you.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Hard to say what this offseason is going to be like when it comes down to things. Still a lot of time to go before the first kickoff. Hell we may not even have a football season.

I will say this right now, if we had the opening kickoff tomorrow I think we'd be in the same exact spot that we were last year.

My main issue with this offseason is we didn't really do much to address our line. We cut Britt and let our best guard walk away in free agency. The guys we brought in are backup caliber, and only strong in run blocking. Our best guard is ancient, and has a storied history when it comes to injuries. Our left tackle is now one of the oldest in the league, and he's now played just as many seasons as Walter Jones did. We have no viable backup plan here, and our solutions at center are BJ Finney, Procic, and Hunt, three guys who quite frankly have looked pretty bad when forced into starting positions. Our rookie is more of a project type of player who excels at run blocking, but not at pass protection. While we signed free agents I think we worsened our overall talent level by jettisoning Britt and DJ Fluker.

At RB we have some serious issues with depth. There is the potential for Penny to miss half of the season, and even when he comes back he's probably not going to have the same kind of explosion -- not at least until next season. That just leaves us with Carson, a back that has been injured every year he's been in the NFL, a back that had injury issues all the way back to college. Behind Carson we have a roster of third down, and change of pace backs. The new guy we drafted is clunky, and raw. He's a conversion from WR and he looks the part. He was taken as a project.

On defense we didn't do much to address some major concerns. Bruce Irvin and Mayowa are not an upgrade from Clowney. Irvin is a one trick pony that is undersized as a pass rusher. The guy we drafted at DE is once again a guy that we're not going to see very much this year. He is extremely raw, like him as a prospect but I'm not expecting him to contribute right away. The guys we have behind Mayowa and Irvin looked really bad last year. The only thing Green and Collier had going for them is youth last season. To add to this we don't have a strong roster of interior defenders. In fact we have arguably gotten worse here with the subtraction of Jefferson.

Our linebacking unit could also take a dive. At times KJ Wright looked BAD, especially in coverage. I don't have much faith in our first round pick either. I've watched about 7 games of him in total and I just walked away scratching my head. His best asset seems to be as a blitzer. Unfortunately he missed a lot of easy tackles, tends to run himself out of plays -- and he seemed to struggle in coverage, even the year before when he was an outside linebacker. We're going to experience growing pains, I can tell you that much.

Our secondary still has some of the same issues with Dunbar getting himself suspended and potentially incarcerated. We're relying on Flowers taking a leap this year now. We also don't have much going for us at nickle.

Overall I don't think we did a great job of addressing some of our biggest issues. I respect the Dunbar trade, I think it was a good move at the time. Nothing was there to tell us he would do THIS. Our moves to shore up our offensive line were weak and short-sighted. Irvin and Mayowa are bandaids that are put over a gaping, festering wound.

TL;DR?

We're relying on a lot of young guys who haven't exactly shown anything in the NFL yet to step up for us. I think the biggest area of failure was at offensive line this offseason and we haven't done much to address our weak defensive line.

ducks41468

Reaction score
Wilson will drag this team kicking and screaming into the playoffs as usual. They'll lose their first playoff game as usual. The fans will rejoice and call it a successful season as usual. Rinse and repeat.

kf3339

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":15xylss0 said:
Hard to say what this offseason is going to be like when it comes down to things. Still a lot of time to go before the first kickoff. Hell we may not even have a football season.

I will say this right now, if we had the opening kickoff tomorrow I think we'd be in the same exact spot that we were last year.

My main issue with this offseason is we didn't really do much to address our line. We cut Britt and let our best guard walk away in free agency. The guys we brought in are backup caliber, and only strong in run blocking. Our best guard is ancient, and has a storied history when it comes to injuries. Our left tackle is now one of the oldest in the league, and he's now played just as many seasons as Walter Jones did. We have no viable backup plan here, and our solutions at center are BJ Finney, Procic, and Hunt, three guys who quite frankly have looked pretty bad when forced into starting positions. Our rookie is more of a project type of player who excels at run blocking, but not at pass protection. While we signed free agents I think we worsened our overall talent level by jettisoning Britt and DJ Fluker.

At RB we have some serious issues with depth. There is the potential for Penny to miss half of the season, and even when he comes back he's probably not going to have the same kind of explosion -- not at least until next season. That just leaves us with Carson, a back that has been injured every year he's been in the NFL, a back that had injury issues all the way back to college. Behind Carson we have a roster of third down, and change of pace backs. The new guy we drafted is clunky, and raw. He's a conversion from WR and he looks the part. He was taken as a project.

On defense we didn't do much to address some major concerns. Bruce Irvin and Mayowa are not an upgrade from Clowney. Irvin is a one trick pony that is undersized as a pass rusher. The guy we drafted at DE is once again a guy that we're not going to see very much this year. He is extremely raw, like him as a prospect but I'm not expecting him to contribute right away. The guys we have behind Mayowa and Irvin looked really bad last year. The only thing Green and Collier had going for them is youth last season. To add to this we don't have a strong roster of interior defenders. In fact we have arguably gotten worse here with the subtraction of Jefferson.

Our linebacking unit could also take a dive. At times KJ Wright looked BAD, especially in coverage. I don't have much faith in our first round pick either. I've watched about 7 games of him in total and I just walked away scratching my head. His best asset seems to be as a blitzer. Unfortunately he missed a lot of easy tackles, tends to run himself out of plays -- and he seemed to struggle in coverage, even the year before when he was an outside linebacker. We're going to experience growing pains, I can tell you that much.

Our secondary still has some of the same issues with Dunbar getting himself suspended and potentially incarcerated. We're relying on Flowers taking a leap this year now. We also don't have much going for us at nickle.

Overall I don't think we did a great job of addressing some of our biggest issues. I respect the Dunbar trade, I think it was a good move at the time. Nothing was there to tell us he would do THIS. Our moves to shore up our offensive line were weak and short-sighted. Irvin and Mayowa are bandaids that are put over a gaping, festering wound.

TL;DR?

We're relying on a lot of young guys who haven't exactly shown anything in the NFL yet to step up for us. I think the biggest area of failure was at offensive line this offseason and we haven't done much to address our weak defensive line.

This is pretty much how I look at it as well. A few postives, but a lot of negatives. We will probably be looking at a wildcard at best and early exit from the playoffs. But there is also the chance of much worse. Certainly not any better at this point in the game. A lot will ride on if PC does in fact open up the offense and bring a completely different tempo from the first quarter thru the end of the game. I don't think he will at all.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Wow, drama town indeed. Have a drink and relax. Geezus man, it's May 15th. SO much can happen before the season. But hey, do you :irishdrinkers:

beaumaris

Reaction score
emurri":x8dze82g said:
I had high hopes going into the offseason that we would dramatically improve the roster. However, it seems like things have not gone as planned at all. I don’t think they have improved the pass rush at all. The one guy I thought was going to really solidify the defensive back field looks to going to prison without having played a down with the Seahawks. The cap was mostly used on backups and low level starters, which is not an ideal plan when you need quality starters. I understand that with all the craziness going on in the world things had to change on the fly. I just don’t think we have improved enough to take the next step. I think it will be another year of making the playoffs but getting beat in wildcard or divisional round. I will be the first to admit that I was wrong and I do not pretend that I know anywhere near as much as the front office because I do it I am just a fan. It does seem as though they have been missing on a number of players recently. I do hope I am wrong.

Nonsense. :roll:

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1faq2d09 said:
Wow, drama town indeed. Have a drink and relax. Geezus man, it's May 15th. SO much can happen before the season. But hey, do you :irishdrinkers:

Hmm, I see this type of comment posted a lot. "There is always more time" as if the better players aren't already gone.

PC and JS are like the person that gets up at 10 am on Black Friday and expects to find a good deal. They might eventually find what they want (if it's not sold out) but not at the price they want.

They think they can turn straw into gold because they are so much smarter than everyone else. Some here will point to the 10% that might pan out but staunchly refuse to acknowledge the 90% that don't. I wish they were right more often but for the past 5 years they have sucked in talent acquisition. Again, 10%. DK, Clowney (for only 1 year) and few others - yes. But the lists of disappointments or outright failures (draft and FAs) list is much much longer.

Elemas

Reaction score
I wouldn't call it a disaster but, it certainly hasn't shaped up to where most of us thought it would.

JS and PC....have as much trust as you can muster. We still have some glaring holes on the roster...you can throw CB back into that discussion as well if the reports on Dunbar's recent extracurricular activities are true.

Just a thought but....it's funny to see all of the concerns which are valid in many ways. D-Line, secondary...etc. RB is a concern as well dependent upon CCs health. Penny? I don't even think you can throw his name into the mix at this point. I'll take a shot in the dark and say our RB draft picks are most likely not going to be productive leading to not having a roster spot. I know...give the kids a chance. I know where Carson was drafted as well. Glass half full? That's fine because every season in the last several years has hinged upon the success of ONE player.

Straight to the point: Satisfaction about making the playoffs, comparisons to the dark days in the past (I suffered with all the fans during those days), are great response fodder when criticism arises. Fact is if this team doesn't make significant moves (you can scratch this year off....season or no season), they will waste the greatest talent Seattle's ever had.

Take a mid to lower tier QB and put him on this team. Welcome to 4-12, 5-11....

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3sv0687c said:
Man this is entertaining. The sky is falling on May 15th. Got it

So, repeating the same thing over and over again doesn't make it true. Back it up. Who is out there and available that would fill the key areas that have not been addressed?

kf3339

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":2jicknxt said:
SoulfishHawk":2jicknxt said:
Man this is entertaining. The sky is falling on May 15th. Got it

So, repeating the same thing over and over again doesn't make it true. Back it up. Who is out there and available that would fill the key areas that have not been addressed?

He can't back it up. He is consistent with that type of remark when he doesn't like your comment.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I always temper my optimistic norm with reality checks. As one who is very much quality over quantity (I would far rather have a few nice things than a pile of junk) I often see the moves we make as counter productive. The O Line moves this year have been particularly perplexing. For a FO who so often whiffs with Rnd 1 picks, and even more often trades them away for more picks later, they seem to gravitate toward signing former 1st rnd picks who never materialized. I question the logic of that approach.
We picked up a few nice players in the draft this year that could possibly help us out, but virtually ignored positions of serious need. It's like treating serious wounds with a band-aid. Really bad wound? Get two band-aids! It basically comes down to prioritizing your value system. I do not agree that assigning higher value to something available at a lower price is the wise move. When you have roster limits and cap limits it does not make sense to me to use both those acquiring lots of bodies, most of whom will never play at the desired level.
As one who has never been an advocate of blind faith acceptance I feel this year is not yet a bust, but is certainly not heading in the best direction for an outstanding result.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
The success of this team is going to depend on the progression of last year's rookies, and what kind of impact this year's rookies will have imo.

Which is sort of disappointing considering how everyone was hyping up all the cap space we were supposed to have, and it all just kind of disappeared on a few washed up guys (Irvin, Mayowa, the army of below average o linemen).