Bill Barnwell's Offseason Team Rankings

ivotuk

Reaction score
Bill Barnwell is a hack that talks fast. He's just another example of how desperate ESPN is for writers.

Ranking NFL Offseasons from worst to first: Barnwell on the Ravens, Chiefs, Eagles...

With the NFL universe on pause, now seems like a good time to continue our big-picture look into how each organization did during the player-acquisition period of the offseason. I'm going to run through all 32 teams and rank the work they did from worst to first.

For each team, I'll include what went right, what went wrong, what they might have done differently with a bit of hindsight and what they need to do next in the months to come.

Finally, and this is important: These aren't power rankings of how these teams will perform in 2020.

Some of the worst teams in the league from last season will finish at or near the top of these rankings because they were able to draft immediate-impact players at key positions, while some of the best teams shed talent or weren't able to add much in the draft because they already had dealt away picks.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/291 ... -teams#SEA

Fade

Reaction score
I disagree. Bill Barnwell is the opposite of a hack.

He is a football outsiders numbers nerd, who does his research.

"Finally, and this is important: These aren't power rankings of how these teams will perform in 2020."

He is just grading the offseason based off of the amount of resources each team had, and the amount of impact they added/lost. Seattle blew $50+ mil in 2020 cap space on JAGs, thus the low ranking. I agree with him in full.

kf3339

Reaction score
Since the ranking is just for the off-season results it seems pretty accurate to me. I haven't been very impressed with either our FA signings or our draft. So 26th place sounds right to me.

Of course, you don't win squat in the off-season so who knows how the results will translate onto the field or in game conditions. That is if we even have a real NFL season this year. That seems still up in the air to me.

Smellyman

Reaction score
yeah, ranking the offseasons it is hard to disagree.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Well I can tell you that I was brought to tears....I laughed so damned hard....# 1 >FACT< I would stack Pete Carroll's savvy against Bill Barnwell's ANY DAY OF THE WEEK & Those "JAG's" that they brought in?, how the hell does Bill Barnwell, or anyone on here know more about putting together a Championship caliber team BETTER THAN Pete & Co.?....Answer?................They Don't.

Smellyman

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3li22jyb said:
Well I can tell you that I was brought to tears....I laughed so damned hard....# 1 >FACT< I would stack Pete Carroll's savvy against Bill Barnwell's ANY DAY OF THE WEEK & Those "JAG's" that they brought in?, how the hell does Bill Barnwell, or anyone on here know more about putting together a Championship caliber team BETTER THAN Pete & Co.?....Answer?................They Don't.

so you read 0 articles, 0 rankings, don't listen to sports radio, don't speak about sports with friends....

and don't read forums...?

these takes are always so silly.

Sports evolves around speculation and opinion.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Smellyman":1z2shsv2 said:
scutterhawk":1z2shsv2 said:

so you read 0 articles, 0 rankings, don't listen to sports radio, don't speak about sports with friends....

and don't read forums...?

these takes are always so silly.

Sports evolves around speculation and opinion.
I'm a "Bottom Line" kind of analyzing guy, I love hearing & reading others OPINIONS on how they break down what they see going on, >BUT< as I've said before, I give Pete Carroll ALL the benefit of of doubt...Championship Wins, Super Bowl Win, a second visit to the Super Bowl, & Multiple Play-offs, and because of all this, I value his OPINION over everyone else.
I guess I got a little tired of hearing about all the negatives & of how his style of Rah Rah Coaching works great for College Football, but would never work in the NFL, when it's obvious that it absolutely does work.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I'd like to see a correlation between "winning the off-season" and winning in the regular season because I suspect it is pretty weak, and possibly even negative.

Bad teams have way more draft capital and make big splashes in free agency that usually backfire. Meanwhile, good teams tend to move on from big name players instead of paying them, focus on building through the draft, and sign cheaper veterans later in free agency.

sdog1981

Reaction score
AgentDib":1jhif19s said:
I'd like to see a correlation between "winning the off-season" and winning in the regular season because I suspect it is pretty weak, and possibly even negative.

Bad teams have way more draft capital and make big splashes in free agency that usually backfire. Meanwhile, good teams tend to move on from big name players instead of paying them, focus on building through the draft, and sign cheaper veterans later in free agency.

Teams do win the offseason all the time, normally they are moves that don't get people excited. Players that add to the depth and are consistent are not as much fun to talk about.

The 2005 Seahawks won the offseason. Joe Jurevicius, Bryce Fisher, Chuck Darby, and Kelly Herndon were not players that people got excited about but they were key contributors.

I think one of the only times a team won the offseason and the Superbowl was the 2013 Seahawks. They were ranked 1 or 2 in almost every power poll to start the season.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kf3339":187ac27y said:
Since the ranking is just for the off-season results it seems pretty accurate to me. I haven't been very impressed with either our FA signings or our draft. So 26th place sounds right to me.

Of course, you don't win squat in the off-season so who knows how the results will translate onto the field or in game conditions. That is if we even have a real NFL season this year. That seems still up in the air to me.

This is how I see it.

We signed a bunch of O-linemen that most people have never heard of, a couple 2nd and 3rd tier free agent D-linemen and who knows how our draft will turn out..........and no Clowney.

So yeah, 26th seems pretty accurate. Not sure what metric you would use to grade us higher, other than solely on Pete and John's track record for finding value in free agency and the draft. But even that hasn't been superior in quite a few years.

chris98251

Reaction score
AgentDib":32o4pdum said:

Just look at the Cowboys and the Redskins and Browns....