Do Not Sell My Personal Information

L.J. Collier feels "disrespected"

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE: PG-13
L.J. Collier feels "disrespected"
Fri May 29, 2020 9:00 am

Re: L.J. Collier feels "disrespected"
Fri May 29, 2020 9:01 am
  • Hawkstorian wrote:I try my best to root for these guys --- but sometimes they make it difficult.........

    Maybe he should play better then???
    Just a suggestion.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 28807
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: L.J. Collier feels "disrespected"
Fri May 29, 2020 9:09 am
  • I believe he can contribute but he was beat out by better players. The onus of proof falls on him and if he is serious about showing all of us that he is "one heck of a player" then he will need to put his money where his mouth is and show us and beat out other players for more of a role in our defense.
    nrayorr
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 335
    Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:32 pm


Re: L.J. Collier feels "disrespected"
Fri May 29, 2020 9:10 am
  • The disrespect card is getting so very tired as is the "I gotta feed my family" nonsense.

    Want respect young man? Earn it.
    acer1240
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2007
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Sandpoint , Idaho


Re: L.J. Collier feels "disrespected"
Fri May 29, 2020 9:10 am
  • I'll respect Collier was honored as a 1st round pick in the draft.
    Now what? It's been a year of waiting for another reason. Counting on him to earn it.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 991
    Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:43 pm
    Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.


Re: L.J. Collier feels "disrespected"
Fri May 29, 2020 9:18 am
  • He had no problem cashing his checks all year for his amazing 3 tackle effort for the season.
    acer1240
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2007
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Sandpoint , Idaho


Re: L.J. Collier feels "disrespected"
Fri May 29, 2020 9:31 am
  • chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 31509
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: L.J. Collier feels "disrespected"
Fri May 29, 2020 9:55 am
  • I don't even think he ever got to the point of having the chance to be disrespected. More like non-existent.

    When you're a 1st round healthy scratch come playoff time? That's not disrespect, that's disappointment. As Cowherd would say, that's not a me problem, that's a you problem.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 17040
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am


Re: L.J. Collier feels "disrespected"
Fri May 29, 2020 10:15 am
  • I feel disrespected watching yet another classic John and Pete reach in the 1st round do absolutely nothing.
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
     
    Posts: 9462
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:19 am
    Location: Alexandria, Virginia


Re: L.J. Collier feels "disrespected"
Fri May 29, 2020 10:25 am
  • Oh my goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood

    Why is everyone so offended over this? He gets absolutely crapped on, and has from the moment he was picked. It is perfectly acceptable for him to feel disrespected at this stage, because he feels as if he has talent to contribute and is being written off by everyone. How is that abnormal? Why is that wrong?

    It's being made a bigger deal of than it actual is, having listened to him speak.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3266
    Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:38 pm
    Location: Delaware


Re: L.J. Collier feels "disrespected"
Fri May 29, 2020 10:32 am
  • I am okay with L.J.'s statements. My translation, "I am motivated to show this year that I am a good football player and plan on being a big contributor this year. "

    He does not think he should be forgotten about for 2020 as a big contributor for DE.

    His statements would have come across better if he would have acknowledged he didn't have a good year last year, didn't contribute much, and needs to improve.

    As a man, I have a fragile ego and get upset sometimes when I feel my competence, performance, or value is being attacked or questioned. Maybe deservedly so, sometimes. I wouldn't say, " I believe and feel I am not loved or cared about, I feel rejected." Rather, "I feel disrespected, discounted"

    All I care about is that L.J. is motivated and performs with more fire this year 2020. Sherman and Baldwin used disrespect card to fuel their drive. As a first rounder, Collier cannot say Seahawks organization disrespected him but he may think he is being forgotten about, discounted, disrespected by media and fans.
    springscohawk
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 123
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:01 pm


Re: L.J. Collier feels "disrespected"
Fri May 29, 2020 11:24 am
  • Maelstrom787 wrote:Oh my goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood

    Why is everyone so offended over this? He gets absolutely crapped on, and has from the moment he was picked. It is perfectly acceptable for him to feel disrespected at this stage, because he feels as if he has talent to contribute and is being written off by everyone. How is that abnormal? Why is that wrong?

    It's being made a bigger deal of than it actual is, having listened to him speak.


    Personally, I don't disrespect any of the players unless they do something blatantly stupid. Guys get hurt guys don't play well .... it's football. Even the fact that he was a #1 pick and didn't play much doesn't make me dislike the guy. I fully embrace that he'll play more and better in year 2 because I root for all our guys to play better.

    But to fabricate external motivation like that just irritates me every time players do that. Richard Sherman was the worst of the bunch in this regard --- great player making a lot of money and appreciated by fans, but somehow had to go 10 miles out of his way to find "disrespect". I just don't understand it.
    Hawkstorian
    * NET Staff *
     
    Posts: 4285
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:19 pm
    Location: Spokane


Re: L.J. Collier feels "disrespected"
Fri May 29, 2020 11:26 am
  • acer1240 wrote:The disrespect card is getting so very tired as is the "I gotta feed my family" nonsense.

    Want respect young man? Earn it.


    I think the card that's the most played out and ridiculous is the proverbial "chip on my shoulder".
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1655
    Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:05 am
    Location: Out here


Re: L.J. Collier feels "disrespected"
Fri May 29, 2020 11:45 am
  • Maelstrom787 wrote:Oh my goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood

    Why is everyone so offended over this? He gets absolutely crapped on, and has from the moment he was picked. It is perfectly acceptable for him to feel disrespected at this stage, because he feels as if he has talent to contribute and is being written off by everyone. How is that abnormal? Why is that wrong?

    It's being made a bigger deal of than it actual is, having listened to him speak.


    I don't think this comes down to disrespect. He didn't play a lot because he got beat out by better players. How is that being disrespected? I love my sons and I do respect them because of who they became in their lives, but when I was coaching them in football I only let one of them play the minimum I had to let him play. Why? Because there was a better player in his position but that didn't mean I disrespected my son it only meant that there was someone better. If Collier cannot recognize this then he is just disrespecting himself. If he feels disrespected then he should use that as motivation to get better just as my son did and beat out that other player.
    nrayorr
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 335
    Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:32 pm


Re: L.J. Collier feels "disrespected"
Fri May 29, 2020 12:26 pm
  • Some guys need to constantly believe they’re being disrespected to stay motivated. Sherm and Angry Doug were like that too, except... good. Dabo Swinney is like that to an unbearable level, but as much as I hate him, I can’t deny that it seems to work for him.

    Collier should probably stay quiet though. Respect is earned, and it’s laughable to expect it when you’re a healthy scratch for both of your team’s playoff games, despite playing their weakest position.

    I hope this talk looks less ridiculous by season’s end. We sure need him to, at minimum, be relevant.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *
     
    Posts: 5910
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:42 pm
    Location: Grand Rapids, MI


Re: L.J. Collier feels "disrespected"
Fri May 29, 2020 12:36 pm
  • FlyingGreg wrote:I feel disrespected watching yet another classic John and Pete reach in the 1st round do absolutely nothing.


    When has one of their first round picks done "absolutely nothing" ?
    KinesProf
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 143
    Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:05 am


Re: L.J. Collier feels "disrespected"
Fri May 29, 2020 12:41 pm
  • Good, play with a chip and prove everyone wrong Kid. I know I'm pulling for you.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 15400
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: L.J. Collier feels "disrespected"
Fri May 29, 2020 12:44 pm
  • KinesProf wrote:
    FlyingGreg wrote:I feel disrespected watching yet another classic John and Pete reach in the 1st round do absolutely nothing.


    When has one of their first round picks done "absolutely nothing" ?

    I don’t know if he’s being a touch hyperbolic or you’re taking “absolutely nothing” too literally, but the last time one of our first picks, or first pick of the draft even had their fifth-year option exercised (or even made it to a fourth season, when that pick was in the second round) was Earl Thomas, who was selected in 2010.

    Yes, we pick later than most teams, but that’s pretty damning. Strange considering they’re geniuses with mid-late picks.
    Last edited by Rat on Fri May 29, 2020 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *
     
    Posts: 5910
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:42 pm
    Location: Grand Rapids, MI


Re: L.J. Collier feels "disrespected"
Fri May 29, 2020 12:49 pm
  • You have to look at them a bit differently then you and I, they are at the top of their profession, they have money, acclaim in their circles, it's the added motivation some need to push themselves to work for more when you by most standards have it all.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 31509
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: L.J. Collier feels "disrespected"
Fri May 29, 2020 1:25 pm
  • Who?*





















    * :sarcasm_off:
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2773
    Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:27 am
    Location: Kalispell, MT


Re: L.J. Collier feels "disrespected"
Fri May 29, 2020 1:27 pm
  • Maelstrom787 wrote:Oh my goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood

    Why is everyone so offended over this? He gets absolutely crapped on, and has from the moment he was picked. It is perfectly acceptable for him to feel disrespected at this stage, because he feels as if he has talent to contribute and is being written off by everyone. How is that abnormal? Why is that wrong?

    It's being made a bigger deal of than it actual is, having listened to him speak.


    Being a Blazer fan and watching the Meyers Leonard saga unfold for umpteen years makes me kind of laugh at how quick LJ has been written off already. Anytime you progress in levels of play there is going to be a time of acclimation. When you are hurt to begin that acclimation it's almost impossible to catch up in that first year. I've been there. I believe he has too much talent and heart to not make big strides this year. Hell, even Procise was given more leeway than this...for 3 years.
    Write him off if you want but don't jump on the bandwagon when he turns it around and establishes himself as a contributor on this team.
    cheese22
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 362
    Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:25 pm
    Location: Oregon


Re: L.J. Collier feels "disrespected"
Fri May 29, 2020 1:58 pm
  • cheese22 wrote:
    Maelstrom787 wrote:Oh my goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood

    Why is everyone so offended over this? He gets absolutely crapped on, and has from the moment he was picked. It is perfectly acceptable for him to feel disrespected at this stage, because he feels as if he has talent to contribute and is being written off by everyone. How is that abnormal? Why is that wrong?

    It's being made a bigger deal of than it actual is, having listened to him speak.


    Being a Blazer fan and watching the Meyers Leonard saga unfold for umpteen years makes me kind of laugh at how quick LJ has been written off already. Anytime you progress in levels of play there is going to be a time of acclimation. When you are hurt to begin that acclimation it's almost impossible to catch up in that first year. I've been there. I believe he has too much talent and heart to not make big strides this year. Hell, even Procise was given more leeway than this...for 3 years.
    Write him off if you want but don't jump on the bandwagon when he turns it around and establishes himself as a contributor on this team.

    Needing time to acclimate is one thing, but was there any highly-drafted DE who was anywhere near as invisible last season? Or in any recent season? I’m not writing him off, but the team can’t be pleased with him so far. He hasnt even shown flashes.

    People have been excusing his extraordinarily underwhelming rookie season by pointing out that injuries prevented him from having much of a training camp. Well... there appears to be a good chance he won’t have much of one this year either. So, when should we be expecting him to start proving his worth? In year 3 when he will already be 27? With our pass rush issues and being in Russ’ prime, I don’t know we can be THAT patient with him. I’d feel a hell of a lot better if we could reach a compromise with Clowney.

    Also, a few good playoff games hardly means Meyers Leonard was worth where he was drafted. Didn’t even seem to prioritize re-signing him, before he agreed to a very modest deal with another team.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *
     
    Posts: 5910
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:42 pm
    Location: Grand Rapids, MI


Re: L.J. Collier feels "disrespected"
Fri May 29, 2020 2:14 pm
  • Respect is earned. Go earn the respect LJ.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3553
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:49 pm


Re: L.J. Collier feels "disrespected"
Fri May 29, 2020 3:52 pm
  • "don't jump on the bandwagon when he turns it around and establishes himself as a contributor on this team."
    Why not? I certainly will, when he earns it. He hasn't managed that part of the deal yet, but if and when he does I'll be shouting his praises from the rooftops.
    To be fair, I haven't written off anything about Collier except his performance level last year. I do not see any way that could translate to disrespect.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 991
    Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:43 pm
    Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.


Re: L.J. Collier feels "disrespected"
Fri May 29, 2020 4:09 pm
  • cheese22 wrote:
    Write him off if you want but don't jump on the bandwagon when he turns it around and establishes himself as a contributor on this team.


    This is more tired and overdone than players playing the disrespect/chip on their shoulder card. It's hard to give the guy respect when you forget he is on the team because he is inactive week after week.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6482
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:04 pm


Re: L.J. Collier feels "disrespected"
Fri May 29, 2020 4:15 pm
  • If feeling dissed helps him play better, well, that would be nice. Something tells me blowing compliments up his butt wouldn't help.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer
     
    Posts: 107408
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 1:29 pm


Re: L.J. Collier feels "disrespected"
Fri May 29, 2020 4:21 pm
  • After reading ESPN article and all his statements-I hope this works for him and leads to big time performance for 2020.

    Now that he has talked, now he has to go walk it out. He will really look bad if he doesn't.

    Hopefully these rookies and 2nd year players get some sort of OTA's and training camp and physical reps before season starts. Without OTAs and training camp, would be like going into two seasons without normal physical preparation and training for Collier.

    Most DE's don't produce much in first two years as far as sacks even without full OTA's and training camps. Surely a challenge for Collier and our rookie D-Lineman if normal training camp doesn't happen.
    Last edited by springscohawk on Sat May 30, 2020 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
    springscohawk
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 123
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:01 pm


Re: L.J. Collier feels "disrespected"
Fri May 29, 2020 4:56 pm
  • 2019 Rookie Contract:

    $495k Base Salary
    $1.465m prorated Bonus
    Total: $1.975m cap hit

    Tackles: 3
    Pay per tackle = $658,333

    As a comparison:
    Jadeveon Clowney
    Total: $15m

    Tackles: 21 Solo 10 Assisted
    Giving Clowney half of an assisted tackle (21+5) he is at $577k a tackle.

    Nobody is disrespecting Collier it is just that nobody has a single reason to respect him on the field - so far.
    JayhawkMike
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 353
    Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:06 pm


Re: L.J. Collier feels "disrespected"
Fri May 29, 2020 4:58 pm
  • Didn't this guy get paid like a million dollars per tackle? What disrespect is he talking about? Lol
    Seajam
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 10
    Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:17 pm


Re: L.J. Collier feels "disrespected"
Fri May 29, 2020 5:00 pm

Re: L.J. Collier feels "disrespected"
Fri May 29, 2020 7:14 pm
  • I got a 'chip on my shoulder'

    I am going to be good now
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5731
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:58 pm
    Location: Taipei


Re: L.J. Collier feels "disrespected"
Fri May 29, 2020 7:45 pm
  • Its a crapshoot. Practice squad or release. Bye Bye
    Atradees
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3659
    Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:22 pm
    Location: Ich tu dir weh


Re: L.J. Collier feels "disrespected"
Fri May 29, 2020 7:52 pm
  • I keep hearing that rookie DEs don't produce, so I looked up the first ten DEs selected in last year's draft. Collier was the sixth selected.

    1.02 Niners - Nick Bosa: 47 tackles, 9 sacks
    1.04 Raiders - Clelin Ferrell: 38 tackles, 4.5 sacks
    1.07 Jaguars - Josh Allen: 44 tackles, 10.5 sacks
    1.16 Panthers - Brian Burns: 25 tackles, 7.5 sacks
    1.26 Redskins - Montrez Sweat: 50 tackles, 7 sacks

    1.29 Seahawks - L.J. Collier: 3 tackles, 0 sacks

    3.65 Cardinals - Zach Allen: 8 tackles, 0 sacks (Injured neck in week 4, missed rest of season)
    3.77 Patriots - Chase Winovich: 26 tackles, 5.5 sacks
    3.85 Ravens - Jaylon Ferguson: 31 tackles, 2.5 sacks
    3.95 Giants - Oshane Ximines: 25 tackles, 4.5 sacks
    Then the 11th one: 4.106 Raiders - Maxx Crosby: 47 tackles, 10 sacks, 4 forced fumbles

    Nobody should be "writing him off", but that's pretty discouraging for a 25-year-old rookie.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *
     
    Posts: 5910
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:42 pm
    Location: Grand Rapids, MI


Re: L.J. Collier feels "disrespected"
Fri May 29, 2020 8:15 pm
  • Just to add: I hope he does well. I don’t have anything against him. The failure, if that is where it ends up, is squarely on JS and Pete.

    We shall see put but besides hope and wishes I have seen nothing that shows he will improve.
    JayhawkMike
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 353
    Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:06 pm


Re: L.J. Collier feels "disrespected"
Fri May 29, 2020 8:22 pm
  • I liked Winovich and we passed on him. We do that allot. Watch AJ Epenesa....
    Atradees
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3659
    Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:22 pm
    Location: Ich tu dir weh


Re: L.J. Collier feels "disrespected"
Fri May 29, 2020 9:00 pm
  • Atradees wrote:I liked Winovich and we passed on him. We do that allot. Watch AJ Epenesa....


    And Gross-Matos.

    If Patrick Queen blows up in Baltimore......
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5731
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:58 pm
    Location: Taipei


Re: L.J. Collier feels "disrespected"
Fri May 29, 2020 9:14 pm
  • I'm reading some incomplete and mixed assignment and scheme comparisons.

    Refocusing on Seattle's off season, I'm looking forward to seeing a versatile AJ Collier get some looks on the inside as a 3-tech in Seattle's 2020 nickle package. I expect him to make the roster as a competitive edge defender on the outside and pass rusher on the Inside.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 9717
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:49 pm


Re: L.J. Collier feels "disrespected"
Fri May 29, 2020 10:27 pm
  • The problem with a lot of athletes is that if they have any level of ability they are pampered from middle school on thru high school and college. Some have an entitlement complex that they just have to show up and people will love them.

    Well, that isn't the NFL young man. In this league you need to get your head straight and show what you can do on the field every play and every game. No one gives a damn whether you feel disrespected, or not. The only thing that matters is results. The fact is that your rookie year sucked. You may have been injured early, but there were plenty of games you were a healthy scratch. That speaks volumes in this league.

    Get your head right and put in the work. Show the coaches, players and fans you are here for a reason. Keep your mouth shut and just do the work. Make every play like its the Super Bowl. Just do it.
    kf3339
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter
     
    Posts: 3134
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:52 pm


Re: L.J. Collier feels "disrespected"
Sat May 30, 2020 4:14 am
  • I became an excellent drummer by sheer will and LOTS of practice, and I mean L O T S.

    That practice landed me in bands that played out in front of people, which also helped my development.

    Do you see the parallels?
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 36523
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:38 pm
    Location: The Tex-ASS


Re: L.J. Collier feels "disrespected"
Sat May 30, 2020 10:10 am
  • Rat wrote:
    cheese22 wrote:
    Maelstrom787 wrote:Oh my goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood

    Why is everyone so offended over this? He gets absolutely crapped on, and has from the moment he was picked. It is perfectly acceptable for him to feel disrespected at this stage, because he feels as if he has talent to contribute and is being written off by everyone. How is that abnormal? Why is that wrong?

    It's being made a bigger deal of than it actual is, having listened to him speak.


    Being a Blazer fan and watching the Meyers Leonard saga unfold for umpteen years makes me kind of laugh at how quick LJ has been written off already. Anytime you progress in levels of play there is going to be a time of acclimation. When you are hurt to begin that acclimation it's almost impossible to catch up in that first year. I've been there. I believe he has too much talent and heart to not make big strides this year. Hell, even Procise was given more leeway than this...for 3 years.
    Write him off if you want but don't jump on the bandwagon when he turns it around and establishes himself as a contributor on this team.

    Needing time to acclimate is one thing, but was there any highly-drafted DE who was anywhere near as invisible last season? Or in any recent season? I’m not writing him off, but the team can’t be pleased with him so far. He hasnt even shown flashes.

    People have been excusing his extraordinarily underwhelming rookie season by pointing out that injuries prevented him from having much of a training camp. Well... there appears to be a good chance he won’t have much of one this year either. So, when should we be expecting him to start proving his worth? In year 3 when he will already be 27? With our pass rush issues and being in Russ’ prime, I don’t know we can be THAT patient with him. I’d feel a hell of a lot better if we could reach a compromise with Clowney.

    Also, a few good playoff games hardly means Meyers Leonard was worth where he was drafted. Didn’t even seem to prioritize re-signing him, before he agreed to a very modest deal with another team.



    Rat, agree with you we may be looking at a 3rd year 1st round DE with two lost off-seasons and little development. With our pass rush issues and Russ being in his prime, we can't afford this.
    springscohawk
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 123
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:01 pm


Re: L.J. Collier feels "disrespected"
Sat May 30, 2020 12:46 pm
  • Maelstrom787 wrote:Oh my goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood

    Why is everyone so offended over this? He gets absolutely crapped on, and has from the moment he was picked. It is perfectly acceptable for him to feel disrespected at this stage, because he feels as if he has talent to contribute and is being written off by everyone. How is that abnormal? Why is that wrong?

    It's being made a bigger deal of than it actual is, having listened to him speak.
    Because a responsible person would acknowledge that they contributed zero in their first year and so it’s quite appropriate and not at all disrespectful, that fans, other players, the world, treat him as a non contributor until he manages to make the active squad?

    It’s one thing for Doug Baldwin or Sherman to whine about disrespect; they have a leg to stand in. It’s another thing for this waste of a roster spot (in year one) to whine about it. Do something on the field, hell, see the field at all, then we can talk about disrespect. The guy’s beneath disrespecting at this point; he’s beneath any notice whatsoever.
    hawk45
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 9160
    Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:08 pm


Re: L.J. Collier feels "disrespected"
Sat May 30, 2020 3:02 pm
  • If you play in a sport you are susseptable to injury. You got injured and it was used as an excuse to put you further behind. Yet, you want to b!@ch about respect?...C'mon man. You did JACK SQUAT to impress ANYONE.....How about a big ole cup of STFU?.

    Do something, then say something . Until then?.......Speak no Evil.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 36523
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:38 pm
    Location: The Tex-ASS


Re: L.J. Collier feels
Sat May 30, 2020 5:59 pm
  • hawk45 wrote:
    Maelstrom787 wrote:Oh my goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood

    Why is everyone so offended over this? He gets absolutely crapped on, and has from the moment he was picked. It is perfectly acceptable for him to feel disrespected at this stage, because he feels as if he has talent to contribute and is being written off by everyone. How is that abnormal? Why is that wrong?

    It's being made a bigger deal of than it actual is, having listened to him speak.
    Because a responsible person would acknowledge that they contributed zero in their first year and so it’s quite appropriate and not at all disrespectful, that fans, other players, the world, treat him as a non contributor until he manages to make the active squad?

    It’s one thing for Doug Baldwin or Sherman to whine about disrespect; they have a leg to stand in. It’s another thing for this waste of a roster spot (in year one) to whine about it. Do something on the field, hell, see the field at all, then we can talk about disrespect. The guy’s beneath disrespecting at this point; he’s beneath any notice whatsoever.


    That's a really, really serious post for a reaction to a football player stating that he's looking forward to disproving notions regarding his level of talent. You, and others, should be rooting for that to happen - yet instead, you take the opportunity to.. get mad?

    Just strikes me as ridiculous.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3266
    Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:38 pm
    Location: Delaware


Re: L.J. Collier feels "disrespected"
Sat May 30, 2020 6:19 pm
  • Wouldn't one have to earn the respect for one to lose that earned respect? Since Collier hasn't earned any respect from the coaching staffs, his peers, and 12s, he has no respect, period.

    Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2166
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:44 pm


Re: L.J. Collier feels "disrespected"
Sat May 30, 2020 7:10 pm
  • Scorn, a contempt or disdain, is a fruit that pride produces in a person, and it is usually shown toward someone thought to be an inferior. A human being will tend to avoid the person who he deems unworthy, or he will immediately reject or ridicule the unworthy person's opinions. What is the effect of this? It breaks people into cliques. Scorn divides and separates.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 9717
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:49 pm


Re: L.J. Collier feels "disrespected"
Sat May 30, 2020 7:55 pm
  • Collier will get his chance. What more can he ask for?
    Here's the thing that bugs me. Collier was a first round selection for a defensive player from the Big12.
    I see a lot of Big12 football. When you watch Big12 football these days outstanding defensive play is NOT what you notice. What you see is a whole lot of flashy offensive players scoring the ball and making big play after big play. I, for one, would NOT be looking at the Big12 to find outstanding defensive football players. There are some that are very good, but they look outstanding because of a lack of talent surrounding them on defense.
    So what I'm saying is I think Collier has a lot to prove. There's only one way to do that. I'll also point out we have another one in the same rowboat we got with our first round pick this year. I'm hoping both can do it as Seahawks at NFL level, but I'm waiting to see them prove it before I start crashing the cymbals.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 991
    Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:43 pm
    Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.


Re: L.J. Collier feels "disrespected"
Sat May 30, 2020 8:41 pm
  • Appyhawk wrote:Collier will get his chance. What more can he ask for?
    Here's the thing that bugs me. Collier was a first round selection for a defensive player from the Big12.
    I see a lot of Big12 football. When you watch Big12 football these days outstanding defensive play is NOT what you notice. What you see is a whole lot of flashy offensive players scoring the ball and making big play after big play. I, for one, would NOT be looking at the Big12 to find outstanding defensive football players. There are some that are very good, but they look outstanding because of a lack of talent surrounding them on defense.
    So what I'm saying is I think Collier has a lot to prove. There's only one way to do that. I'll also point out we have another one in the same rowboat we got with our first round pick this year. I'm hoping both can do it as Seahawks at NFL level, but I'm waiting to see them prove it before I start crashing the cymbals.


    So Jordyn Brooks will be bad too?
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5731
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:58 pm
    Location: Taipei


Re: L.J. Collier feels
Sat May 30, 2020 9:59 pm
  • Maelstrom787 wrote:
    hawk45 wrote:
    Maelstrom787 wrote:Oh my goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood

    Why is everyone so offended over this? He gets absolutely crapped on, and has from the moment he was picked. It is perfectly acceptable for him to feel disrespected at this stage, because he feels as if he has talent to contribute and is being written off by everyone. How is that abnormal? Why is that wrong?

    It's being made a bigger deal of than it actual is, having listened to him speak.
    Because a responsible person would acknowledge that they contributed zero in their first year and so it’s quite appropriate and not at all disrespectful, that fans, other players, the world, treat him as a non contributor until he manages to make the active squad?

    It’s one thing for Doug Baldwin or Sherman to whine about disrespect; they have a leg to stand in. It’s another thing for this waste of a roster spot (in year one) to whine about it. Do something on the field, hell, see the field at all, then we can talk about disrespect. The guy’s beneath disrespecting at this point; he’s beneath any notice whatsoever.


    That's a really, really serious post for a reaction to a football player stating that he's looking forward to disproving notions regarding his level of talent. You, and others, should be rooting for that to happen - yet instead, you take the opportunity to.. get mad?

    Just strikes me as ridiculous.


    Maelstrom787, the voice of reason once again.

    All I heard from LJ is that he is committed to doing the work and earning respect with his play.
    Here is his off-season interview.
    One questioner asked him if he was ever 100% during last season, his answer... NO.
    He was never physically 100% during the season. LJ did clearly say the ankle IS 100% now, during the interview.

    Most of the media questions had some element of how disappointing his rookie season was... don't blame him if he was getting a little annoyed during the interview; if he was, he didn't show it outwardly.

    Rat included a terrific chart, which I've copied in this post. Thanks, you Rat! (in the best way :-) )
    If the Hawks scouts were right in what they saw in Collier, based on his draft postion, we should look for numbers like:
    Healthy LJ Collier 2020 prediction: 40 tackles, 6 sacks
    Of course, draft position means, to quote Jim Mora Sr., "diddly-poo" in Seattle, it's all about competing, per Pete Carroll.



    Rat wrote:I keep hearing that rookie DEs don't produce, so I looked up the first ten DEs selected in last year's draft. Collier was the sixth selected.

    1.02 Niners - Nick Bosa: 47 tackles, 9 sacks
    1.04 Raiders - Clelin Ferrell: 38 tackles, 4.5 sacks
    1.07 Jaguars - Josh Allen: 44 tackles, 10.5 sacks
    1.16 Panthers - Brian Burns: 25 tackles, 7.5 sacks
    1.26 Redskins - Montrez Sweat: 50 tackles, 7 sacks

    1.29 Seahawks - L.J. Collier: 3 tackles, 0 sacks

    3.65 Cardinals - Zach Allen: 8 tackles, 0 sacks (Injured neck in week 4, missed rest of season)
    3.77 Patriots - Chase Winovich: 26 tackles, 5.5 sacks
    3.85 Ravens - Jaylon Ferguson: 31 tackles, 2.5 sacks
    3.95 Giants - Oshane Ximines: 25 tackles, 4.5 sacks
    Then the 11th one: 4.106 Raiders - Maxx Crosby: 47 tackles, 10 sacks, 4 forced fumbles

    Nobody should be "writing him off", but that's pretty discouraging for a 25-year-old rookie.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3080
    Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:03 am


Re: L.J. Collier feels "disrespected"
Sun May 31, 2020 3:33 am
  • This player likely has talent, but he’s been invisible, truly a non-entity. Reality is he was a college player who appeared to be able to play pro football, perhaps at a high level, and he hasn’t been able to show that ability, apparently b/c of injury and lack of practice repetition. He showed he can play at the Senior Bowl, but that was quite some time ago relatively. Unlike McDowell who was a character mistake I believe this player has some ability to be an outside in pass rusher that he certainly has not yet shown.

    Disrespected? He says he feels disrespected, but was given respect by the team with what to some appears to have been extremely early selection in the draft relative to demonstrated ability on the field. He’s been ignored as part of the conversation regarding DE depth and that stings his ego. Sounds to me like self motivation as any elite athlete would know respect is earned and not something that should be taken for granted. I think he’s really saying: “Don’t write me off as a wasted draft pick, I’m a lot better player than I have shown. There are reasons why I didn’t show up last season. Just watch, I’m ready to show my stuff.” I sure hope so. Otherwise he needs to understand the reality he’s done nothing to earn respect yet, while being well paid for little performance.

    Sure hope he’s ready to play this season, has been practicing on his own, lifting weights getting stronger, learning to hand fight and effective counters to OLinemen who hold lots. Sure hope this isn’t just some empty talk by him. It’s time for him to justify his early selection, earn his pay, and earn his respect. It’s far too soon to write him off. Like other young players he for sure needs to know his pro career In the NFL will be not for long if he doesn’t show up this season.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 6970
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:13 pm


Re: L.J. Collier feels "disrespected"
Sun May 31, 2020 6:48 am
  • He was a 1st round pick by the Hawks ; so he feels he should be treated as such . Maybe in reality he is really a 4th round pick at best . Go ask Pete and John what happened .
    xray
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2758
    Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:29 am
    Location: AZ


Next


It is currently Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:53 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], LegionHawk12, Majestic-12 [Bot] and 75 guests