L.J. Collier feels "disrespected"

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":3om1q2jb said:
I try my best to root for these guys --- but sometimes they make it difficult.........
Maybe he should play better then???
Just a suggestion.

nrayorr

Reaction score
I believe he can contribute but he was beat out by better players. The onus of proof falls on him and if he is serious about showing all of us that he is "one heck of a player" then he will need to put his money where his mouth is and show us and beat out other players for more of a role in our defense.

acer1240

Reaction score
The disrespect card is getting so very tired as is the "I gotta feed my family" nonsense.

Want respect young man? Earn it.

acer1240

Reaction score
He had no problem cashing his checks all year for his amazing 3 tackle effort for the season.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I don't even think he ever got to the point of having the chance to be disrespected. More like non-existent.

When you're a 1st round healthy scratch come playoff time? That's not disrespect, that's disappointment. As Cowherd would say, that's not a me problem, that's a you problem.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Oh my goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood

Why is everyone so offended over this? He gets absolutely crapped on, and has from the moment he was picked. It is perfectly acceptable for him to feel disrespected at this stage, because he feels as if he has talent to contribute and is being written off by everyone. How is that abnormal? Why is that wrong?

It's being made a bigger deal of than it actual is, having listened to him speak.

springscohawk

Reaction score
I am okay with L.J.'s statements. My translation, "I am motivated to show this year that I am a good football player and plan on being a big contributor this year. "

He does not think he should be forgotten about for 2020 as a big contributor for DE.

His statements would have come across better if he would have acknowledged he didn't have a good year last year, didn't contribute much, and needs to improve.

As a man, I have a fragile ego and get upset sometimes when I feel my competence, performance, or value is being attacked or questioned. Maybe deservedly so, sometimes. I wouldn't say, " I believe and feel I am not loved or cared about, I feel rejected." Rather, "I feel disrespected, discounted"

All I care about is that L.J. is motivated and performs with more fire this year 2020. Sherman and Baldwin used disrespect card to fuel their drive. As a first rounder, Collier cannot say Seahawks organization disrespected him but he may think he is being forgotten about, discounted, disrespected by media and fans.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":22iv09tq said:

Why is everyone so offended over this? He gets absolutely crapped on, and has from the moment he was picked. It is perfectly acceptable for him to feel disrespected at this stage, because he feels as if he has talent to contribute and is being written off by everyone. How is that abnormal? Why is that wrong?

It's being made a bigger deal of than it actual is, having listened to him speak.

Personally, I don't disrespect any of the players unless they do something blatantly stupid. Guys get hurt guys don't play well .... it's football. Even the fact that he was a #1 pick and didn't play much doesn't make me dislike the guy. I fully embrace that he'll play more and better in year 2 because I root for all our guys to play better.

But to fabricate external motivation like that just irritates me every time players do that. Richard Sherman was the worst of the bunch in this regard --- great player making a lot of money and appreciated by fans, but somehow had to go 10 miles out of his way to find "disrespect". I just don't understand it.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
acer1240":10nky58r said:
The disrespect card is getting so very tired as is the "I gotta feed my family" nonsense.

Want respect young man? Earn it.

I think the card that's the most played out and ridiculous is the proverbial "chip on my shoulder".

nrayorr

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":15t35rxk said:

I don't think this comes down to disrespect. He didn't play a lot because he got beat out by better players. How is that being disrespected? I love my sons and I do respect them because of who they became in their lives, but when I was coaching them in football I only let one of them play the minimum I had to let him play. Why? Because there was a better player in his position but that didn't mean I disrespected my son it only meant that there was someone better. If Collier cannot recognize this then he is just disrespecting himself. If he feels disrespected then he should use that as motivation to get better just as my son did and beat out that other player.

Rat

Reaction score
Some guys need to constantly believe they’re being disrespected to stay motivated. Sherm and Angry Doug were like that too, except... good. Dabo Swinney is like that to an unbearable level, but as much as I hate him, I can’t deny that it seems to work for him.

Collier should probably stay quiet though. Respect is earned, and it’s laughable to expect it when you’re a healthy scratch for both of your team’s playoff games, despite playing their weakest position.

I hope this talk looks less ridiculous by season’s end. We sure need him to, at minimum, be relevant.

KinesProf

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":jijn3cmk said:
I feel disrespected watching yet another classic John and Pete reach in the 1st round do absolutely nothing.

When has one of their first round picks done "absolutely nothing" ?

Rat

Reaction score
KinesProf":1cbqj7yz said:
FlyingGreg":1cbqj7yz said:
I feel disrespected watching yet another classic John and Pete reach in the 1st round do absolutely nothing.

When has one of their first round picks done "absolutely nothing" ?
I don’t know if he’s being a touch hyperbolic or you’re taking “absolutely nothing” too literally, but the last time one of our first picks, or first pick of the draft even had their fifth-year option exercised (or even made it to a fourth season, when that pick was in the second round) was Earl Thomas, who was selected in 2010.

Yes, we pick later than most teams, but that’s pretty damning. Strange considering they’re geniuses with mid-late picks.

chris98251

Reaction score
You have to look at them a bit differently then you and I, they are at the top of their profession, they have money, acclaim in their circles, it's the added motivation some need to push themselves to work for more when you by most standards have it all.