Seahawks 6th in initial PFT power rankings

Rat

Reaction score
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... ter-king-2

I’m not a big Peter King fan, but this was a pretty extensive piece that showed more knowledge than I remember him having. Showed a decent amount of respect for us.

6. Seattle (12-6, lost NFC divisional game at Green Bay 28-23)

You might prefer other quarterbacks if you had the first pick in an NFL QB draft. I might too. (Give me Mahomes.) But what Russell Wilson has done in his Seattle tenure is phenomenal. Since making Wilson the third-round pick in 2012, the Seahawks have played 143 games, 15 in the postseason. Wilson has started every one. He’s made the playoffs in seven of his eight seasons, and won at least one playoff game in six of those seven seasons. (In those eight seasons, a total of 400 NFL MVP votes have been cast. Wilson has never gotten one of those MVP votes.) Seattle doesn’t have the greatest offense, or the most explosive numbers, but over the past three seasons, Wilson has thrown 100 touchdown passes and 23 interceptions. He’s the reason, basically, that I have the Seahawks this high in my rankings. He’s been the deodorant for an oft-sketchy offensive line.

So the Seahawks will be in the top 10 or 12 in scoring, and they’ll need a few strong defensive efforts to win the Super Bowl, because the offense doesn’t have the weaponry to consistently score in the thirties. Fortunately for them, D.K. Metcalf played like the 10th pick in the 2019 draft, not the 64th, and gave Seattle a deep and physical weapon it really needed after the retirement of Doug Baldwin. On defense, Seattle GM John Schneider looks to be waiting for the price tag of a veteran edge rusher like Everson Griffen to go down, or for Jadeveon Clowney to be willing to play for 60 cents on the dollar (in his mind). Seattle needs the re-acquired Bruce Irvin or 2019 first-rounder L.J. Collier, invisible last year, to provide some threat around the edge and hope Griffen or Clowney is on the field opening day.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Not bad... but I disagree with this comment:

"because the offense doesn’t have the weaponry to consistently score in the thirties"

I beg to differ -- I think they do...in fact, with how suspect the defense still appears to be (mostly the uncertain pass rush), we are going to NEED the offense to score 30 every week.

Weaponry?? Wilson. Carson. Hyde. Dissly. Olsen. Hollister. Lockett. Metcalf. Gordon (yes, I think he comes back). Dorsett. Ursua. Pretty stacked...then we get Penny back after 6 games.

As always, health will drive everything. If they can avoid the injuries that killed the last few seasons, especially last season, I think this has a chance to be a top-5 offense in the league.

OP
OP
Rat

Rat

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1y7bqb5y said:

"because the offense doesn’t have the weaponry to consistently score in the thirties"

I beg to differ -- I think they do...in fact, with how suspect the defense still appears to be (mostly the uncertain pass rush), we are going to NEED the offense to score 30 every week.

Weaponry?? Wilson. Carson. Hyde. Dissly. Olsen. Hollister. Lockett. Metcalf. Gordon (yes, I think he comes back). Dorsett. Ursua. Pretty stacked...then we get Penny back after 6 games.

As always, health will drive everything. If they can avoid the injuries that killed the last few seasons, especially last season, I think this has a chance to be a top-5 offense in the league.
Yeah, that raised an eyebrow with me too. We had only 5 games out of 16 with more than 30 points last season, but had another five where we scored between 27-29. And the weapons SHOULD be better this year, barring health.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
The "no weapons" thing is something that pops up on this very board quite a bit. I have no idea why.

sdog1981

Reaction score
It will come down to the defense just like last season. Can this D unit just be average, not elite, average? If they can get down in the below the 20th ranked D, that would get them to that 12-4 record for the last 2 seed first-round bye.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Ranked 6th you say?

Adam Schein doesn’t think they’ll even make the playoffs :34853_doh:

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Good overall but "no weapons"? Really? So Lockett and DK are mere scrubs? Not to mention if Uncle Will gets back, the most lethal and deep TE squad in the league? Chris Carson even with injuries is almost always guaranteed a 1K season every season. But no weapons. Got it.

OP
OP
Rat

Rat

Reaction score
Aros":mynnp5zl said:
the most lethal and deep TE squad in the league?
Gronkowski, Howard, Brate probably have that locked up. The Browns have a pretty ridiculous group too.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Rat":r2zml0is said:
Aros":r2zml0is said:
the most lethal and deep TE squad in the league?
Gronkowski, Howard, Brate probably have that locked up. The Browns have a pretty ridiculous group too.

Yeah, true. However the point stands...The Seahawks are not lacking for TE depth that's for sure.

Fade

Reaction score
The Seahawks have pretty good weapons when everyone is healthy.

When Lockett got hurt they looked rather pedestrian.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1qkr1ozi said:

We have the weapons, I think our biggest issue is going to be whether or not Pete Carroll will untether our offense if the defense isn't performing. The offensive playcalling and refusal to relent from the plan has always been our downfall on offense. I suspect many pundits confuse this with having a lack of weapons. DK Metcalf and Lockett are both 1000 yard receivers.

The main issue going forward is going to be health. Our TE situation is good on paper, but neither Dissley or Olsen have a strong track record of health. The weakest link on offense is obviously our offensive line and I suspect it will be a huge issue in 2020.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3jkw26jp said:
FlyingGreg":3jkw26jp said:

We have the weapons, I think our biggest issue is going to be whether or not Pete Carroll will untether our offense if the defense isn't performing. The offensive playcalling and refusal to relent from the plan has always been our downfall on offense. I suspect many pundits confuse this with having a lack of weapons. DK Metcalf and Lockett are both 1000 yard receivers.

The main issue going forward is going to be health. Our TE situation is good on paper, but neither Dissley or Olsen have a strong track record of health. The weakest link on offense is obviously our offensive line and I suspect it will be a huge issue in 2020.

Am excellent and salient point. Maybe that's the biggest problem I have with Pete...I get wanting the smash mouth style of offense, but when you are consistently struggling to score points in the first half and have a defense playing base that gets pushed around every week, perhaps its time to update the script??

Largent80

Reaction score
Offensively, the team appears loaded depending on how the new O-Line gels.

Defensively is a gigantic question mark with what appears to be a severe lack of talent on the D-Line.

2 rookies and 2 signed FA journeymen does not inspire confidence. PLUS they lost a good interior DT and haven't replaced him. NOT TO MENTION, the lack of signing their only disruptive player from last year.

All those rookies from last year should show improvement however, and getting a speedy sure tackling LB (albeit a rookie) will help immensely.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
IF DK takes another step forward this year, he's got the physical traits to be a top 10 receiver in the league. Lockett is a stud, but beyond those 2 the receiving core is a bit shaky.

I like the Dorsett signing, Would LOVE if Gordon came back.

I don't love the TE room as much as some on here apparently. Dissly coming off a second catastrophic injury, Can he come back again? And if he does can he actually play a full season? Greg Olsen is old, and the last two years he was riddled with injuries. Hollister played admirably last year, but if he's your TE1, it's fair to question the room.....

xray

Reaction score
Having so many new OL guys is the unknown . But if the OL turns out to be average the Hawks offense can score enough points to be in every game . That's all you can ask for. But the defense ? not so sure .