Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Could Kap be our back up?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Could Kap be our back up?
Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:12 pm
  • I am just speculating on my own here, but with our coaches latest words on Kap and the resent going ons in The United States, be a sign that a team is willing to take a risk on Kap.

I for one would feel safer with him over, who is it Geno Smith?

All I'm saying is it looks like he might be back in the league, for teams to not give him a chance, at this moment in time, would be a risk.
    suppaball
    NET Veteran

Re: Could Kap be our back up?
Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:53 pm
  • I've been arguing this in the political forum.

My position is give him a go at what Geno is getting--league minimum--and let them compete in camp.

Pete tweeted about Kaep's bravery with the kneeling and now sports media from ESPN to SI are pointing out that the kneeling was a major factor that 86'd the Colin talks back in 2017-2018. Now we have a PR controversy on top of not having a backup better than Geno.

Kaep has no chance of being paid as a starter. He isn't creating a QB controversy, not even if RW gets severely hurt and he has to start some games. They'll be looking for a younger option for 2021 if that happens and everyone knows it.

There probably won't be an anthem to kneel or stand for anyway. Not this year.

Go ahead and make him the offer.

He can always say no.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:48 pm
  • If he was willing to be paid like a backup, he’d probably already have a job.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:53 pm
  • Rat wrote:If he was willing to be paid like a backup, he’d probably already have a job.

No one ever engaged in talks with him though. Except us.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:10 pm
  • Wouldn't that be something..?? If someone were to tell you back in 2013/2014 that Sherm would be a digit and Kap a Hawk...What would you have said...??? :shock: :shock: :shock:
    slateman77
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter

Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:29 pm
  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:
    Rat wrote:If he was willing to be paid like a backup, he’d probably already have a job.

No one ever engaged in talks with him though. Except us.

Has that been confirmed? It’s possible that teams have inquired into how much he would cost. Can’t see a lot of teams wanting to give him starter money given how poorly he played in his last season as a starter.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:05 pm
  • I would take him just for his ability to effing own Green Bay.

To be honest, having a QB that isn't a garbage pile if we need to spell Wilson for a short bit - seems reasonable.

How guys like Austin Davis got a job is mindblowing. Geno isn't any better.

At least Kap WAS good. He took a team to the SB.

The political backlash for signing him is almost non-existent now. The few upset about will be offset by the legions that work flock to support him (and buy his merch).
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:34 pm
  • I don't think there is any chance he is picked up by the Hawks or anyone else. Not only does he still bring a very bad vibe and lost revenue, but I would be surprised if he could make the team. He wasn't good when he left and a three year vacation doesn't help.
    Those facts along with the fact I don't think he wants to play, being an activist pays better and is more fun. It's easier to say I'm good than to have to prove it and fall on your face in embarrassment.
    I hope he never plays another down anywhere. If players are now allowed to kneel I will be done watching football, along with millions of others. If they wish to stay in the locker room and leave their political views completely out of site, that could work. I enjoy the game, not the politics or the personalities..
    Donn2390
    NET Starter

Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:47 am
  • he hasn't played in years and is about to turn 33. He purely relies on using his legs to make plays.

We don't need him and need all the cap money possible for our D-Line. It is a pass for me.
    English12thMan
    NET Bench Warmer

Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:16 am
  • I’ll leave my diatribe for later but to put it simply I think Kaepernick prefers to be a martyr than a football player and will simply not accept any offer that’s not outrageous. Offer him $5m a year a bet he rejects it and cries racism.
    JayhawkMike
    NET Starter

Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:26 am
  • Kapernick wasn't a starting caliber QB when he got started his protest. He showed that he was a system QB, and we're seeing what that system did for Lamar Jackson. Greg Roman knows how to use running QB's and he's proven that time and time again. To add to this, Kapernick hasn't played a snap of football or attended an NFL practice for years. In addition to that Kapernick and his girlfriend turned a contract with the Baltimore Ravens into a publicity stunt.

This is just my theory, but I think Kapernick doesn't actually want to be involved with the NFL. He is just using it as a means to further his cause and promote himself as a community leader. If we look at this from a logistical standpoint as well he is 33, and hasn't had NFL conditioning for years now. He was a QB that relied on his athleticism, he was a QB that played a lot like a running back. NFL defenses had him figured him out. Take away Kapernick's explosiveness and you have a backup QB that has poor passing fundamentals and accuracy, and a really obvious tell that defenses learned to key on.

In addition to all of this Collin Kapernick brings Tim Tebow levels of distraction to the team. I'd rather sign someone like Eric Reid who did the same exact thing as Kapernick but still was an alright player for DB depth.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:55 am
  • The Hawks have Smith already . I also think that Anthony Gordon will be a surprise in camp .
    xray
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:45 am
  • They should bring him in for a workout. And by workout, I mean have him face Geno head to head in a best out of 10 coin toss contest. Winner gets the back up job. Personally I think he has no shot, but if he can knock off Geno it only makes the team better.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:48 am
  • The Hawks have made investments in the backup qb position, so I don’t think this is likely.
    Not really interested in debating the political aspects of this topic. It’s being discussed elsewhere.

From a pure football perspective, you’re in denial if you don’t think that Kaepernick is better than quite a few of the starting qbs in the NFL. If you don’t think he is ranked somewhere as the 33-64th most talented qb in the league I question your sanity.

He took a team to the Super Bowl and was as close to Wilson in SB49 to getting it. Had he. Or had to play an all-time defense he would have gotten to a second one. The 2013 49ers would also have destroyed that broncos team.

He has limitations, most QBs do. But put him in the right situation and he can be quite dangerous.
    Basis4day
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:09 am
  • If you want to pay him at least $10M/year as a backup go right ahead. I remember that being about his number to some team several years ago. He isn't going to be any teams backup, because no team is going to sign him now for anything over league minimum. Maybe a few dollars more if they have a rookie QB, but that is about it.

I hate to tell some of you, but he really wasn't that good when he was playing. The league had figured him out and he couldn't adjust. There has been far too much talk about his whole subject, and this is the only post I will make about it.
    kf3339
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter

Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:22 am
  • He kissed his biceps better than Newton did . IMO :D
    xray
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:43 am
  • Donn2390 wrote:I don't think there is any chance he is picked up by the Hawks or anyone else. Not only does he still bring a very bad vibe and lost revenue, but I would be surprised if he could make the team. He wasn't good when he left and a three year vacation doesn't help.
    Those facts along with the fact I don't think he wants to play, being an activist pays better and is more fun. It's easier to say I'm good than to have to prove it and fall on your face in embarrassment.
    I hope he never plays another down anywhere. If players are now allowed to kneel I will be done watching football, along with millions of others. If they wish to stay in the locker room and leave their political views completely out of site, that could work. I enjoy the game, not the politics or the personalities..

For someone who "enjoys the game, not the politics or the personalities" you sure wrote a lot about politics and not much about the game.

I hope every player and coach on every team kneels for the anthem at every game.
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:03 am
  • A-Dog wrote:
    Donn2390 wrote:I don't think there is any chance he is picked up by the Hawks or anyone else. Not only does he still bring a very bad vibe and lost revenue, but I would be surprised if he could make the team. He wasn't good when he left and a three year vacation doesn't help.

For someone who "enjoys the game, not the politics or the personalities" you sure wrote a lot about politics and not much about the game.

I hope every player and coach on every team kneels for the anthem at every game.

They probably will. The NFL probably knows this. They'll probably cancel it under the aegis of coronavirus and most will probably breathe a sigh of relief.

Maybe someone like Jerrah will still insist. He'll have the whole of CNN/MSNBC plus all the sports media down photoing who is kneeling and probably more media will leave once the crappy game starts.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:40 am
  • Not worth the headache!!

If Smith beats him out as backup imagine the conflict that would follow...and all for a backup position? :177692:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:48 pm
  • Team doesnt need the circus show. Just pass.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:46 pm
  • I don’t think it would be a “headache” and we’re definitely one of the best-equipped teams in the league to deal with extra media attention.

I just don’t think he would accept a contract commensurate to the level of play he was at the last time he played, combined with the layoff. I hate to be cynical, because he has done a tremendous deal for a good cause, but I find myself siding with those who think he doesn’t really want to be in the NFL, but wants it to LOOK like he’s still trying.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:07 pm
  • He has been out of the league for 3 years, I don't think can make it back at this point. He was screwed over for sure...I guess at least we were forward thinking enough to bring him in for a look.
    andyh64000
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:24 pm
  • For someone who "enjoys the game, not the politics or the personalities" you sure wrote a lot about politics and not much about the game.

I hope every player and coach on every team kneels for the anthem at every game.[/quote]
    If that is what you got out of my post it would seem you have a problem with reading comprehension. Sorry about that..!
    Stick with kap and that will be the least of your problems...
    Donn2390
    NET Starter

Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:55 pm
  • he could be, but won't be, nor should he be.

He is light years better than Geno and his 29 tds and 36 ints, but a Wilson backup shouldn't be invested into too much.

Give Gordon the shot and let him hold the clipboard for some years on the cheap.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:36 am
  • Kap was on a trajectory to be decent with Harbaugh then he quit football. Now he is simply a sideshow. He should run for office or something.
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:17 am
  • I doubt it,

He was looked at and passed upon by the the team and another year has passed eroding his skills which were never really arm talent based.

He did get screwed over by the NFL and the ‘Old Boy’ network of the league but truth known he really wasn’t that talented to begin with. Any job he gets would be a backup job and the media attention brought with him could outweigh any benefit in signing him.

Looking at his situation it is clear he was a martyr to a cause not well understood by his articulation of it by him. He was right and sadly paid an unfair price for being right. I suspect he never plays in the NFL again, yet is honoured by the league as a way of further righting the wrong visited upon him for taking a political position. I appreciate this will appear cynical but can be spun.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:42 am
  • Haven't read the thread, Kaep made a huge sacrifice for others, and he's good enough to be a real threat at qb under competent coaching. He knows this, and maybe he doesn't want to take less money to be a swiss army knife to play in a racist league?

That being said, one place it might work is Seatle, we're progressive - relatively speaking - but isn't he from the east coast?

I feel he has bigger fish to fry, so wherever he goes and whatever he chooses to do will be in that interest, I feel he is right. Sacrificing what less than 1% of incredibly gifted people get to only dream about. I hope he continues to advance the conversation, football is a lot smaller.
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:03 am
  • NFL teams must finally treat Colin Kaepernick like any other available player
    Posted by Mike Florio on June 8, 2020, 11:13 AM EDT

SNIP

To get an equal shot, at least one owner will have to not care about the consequences of doing the right thing. Many people worth far less money than the average NFL owner are currently making decisions and taking action without regard to consequences. If the NFL wants to convert Commissioner Roger Goodell’s Friday night words into meaningful and tangible change, the first step will be to to stop treating Kaepernick like a pariah and to subject him to the same merit-based assessments that happen all the time in the NFL, with players being hired and fired and hired and fired and at all times evaluated based solely on what they can do to help a team win.

From Kaepernick’s perspective, it won’t be easy. He’ll have to find a way to set aside his inherent (and justified) mistrust of the league. And given the fact that he hasn’t played for so long, he’ll have to take whatever he can get financially, at least until he re-establishes himself.

Regardless, the image of Kaepernick in an NFL uniform again (whether he actually plays or not) would be powerful, and helpful, at this unique and fragile time in American history. He should get the opportunity to wear a uniform only if his current talents truly merit it, but it’s likely when considering some of the names already on NFL rosters that he could roll out of bed on any given day and be more talented and accomplished than plenty of them.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... le-player/
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:28 pm
  • If a team wants to sign him, they should be able to do so. But ask Clowney if you can force demands on other teams and get your way. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it backfires. These are businesses. They all have decide what might work best short and long term. Due to the amount of time he has been out of action, he might have a hard time reaching his old standard. Don't wish anyone any I'll will, it's just reality.
    nwHawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:45 pm
  • Everything before covid is moot except for the kneeling protest. It's taken a real meaning now and Kap is the Captain.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:50 pm
  • I don't doubt that Kaepernick has been screwed over by the system, which is unfortunate, but there's a lot more to it than many people realize (not calling out anyone in this thread). It's not simply a matter of "team's don't like his politics".

Focus and chemistry have become increasingly important over the years (look at how teams are basically forced to participate in "Hard Knocks"). If you're going to bring a media circus with you, whether for good reasons (Tim Tebow) or bad (Mike Vick), you had better be cheap, and you had better be damn good. When Vick went to prison, he was still considered a high-end player, and despite being just 29 when he got out, he still drew very little interest, and had to settle for a backup job at a fraction of his previous contract. Kaepernick is three years older now than Vick was then, has been out of football longer (last played four seasons ago), has shown no indication that he's willing to settle for pennies on the dollar that he thinks he's worth, and in his most recent season, he was benched for Blaine Gabbert. It's not really surprising that he's struggling to find a job.
    Last edited by Rat on Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:43 pm
  • Pass. Hasn't played in 3 years.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:17 pm
  • Sign him to a team with an established franchise QB and EVERY Kaepernick fan out there will scream that he's being buried.
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:25 pm
  • Basis4day wrote:From a pure football perspective, you’re in denial if you don’t think that Kaepernick is better than quite a few of the starting qbs in the NFL.

How could anyone possibly presume to know that at this point?

It's not just the fact that he hasn't played in the NFL in 3 years, it's the fact that he hasn't even been on an NFL team in 3 years. That means no NFL coaching in 3 years, no NFL practices in 3 years, no NFL strength and conditioning program in 3 years, no NFL film study with NFL coaches in 3 years, and on and on.

The last time Kaepernick was a good starting QB in the NFL was 2014. He was benched for Blaine Gabbert in 2015. The 9ers had a new head coach in 2016 and went into training camp with an open competition for starting QB. Kaepernick lost that competition to Blaine Gabbert. Kaepernick didn't start until week 6, and even then it was only because Gabbert was playing so poorly. Kaepernick was benched again in week 13 due to poor play before being renamed the starter for week 14.

Maybe he can still play in the NFL, maybe, but we really don't know that. It's entirely possible that a 32 year old that hasn't been a good player since 2014, and hasn't even been in the league since 2016, just isn't good enough anymore. Even for a backup role. Most NFL players have to work damn hard to be good enough to be in the NFL, even the fringe roster players. What has Kaep been doing the last 3+ years? I don't really know, but I do know it hasn't been working his ass off to be good enough to play in the NFL.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:41 pm
  • I think they are just talking to get points or whatever people do to get approval from the internet. Plus I really don’t think kaep wants to play. If he did and it looked like he sucked he wouldn’t make as much money being a activist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    12thmanNY
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter

Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:43 am
  • We already brought Kaep in for a look at the backup spot. He wasn't interested in backup QB salary and then named us in his lawsuit.

Nothing has changed since then and this remains a political discussion rather than a football discussion.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:53 am
  • I support Black lives matter, but I don't think Kaep is good enough, and a deal with him would make a lot of disturbing noise.
    ballard1951
    NET Practice Squad

Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:58 pm
  • ballard1951 wrote:I support Black lives matter, but I don't think Kaep is good enough, and a deal with him would make a lot of disturbing noise.

Politics...
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:08 pm
  • Whatever team gets him will get a solidarity boost.
    3 less years of hits and tread on the wheels.
    I'd love to see what he can bring.
    For someone who would spend a lot of time holding a clipboard, he would bring immeasurable gratitude and respect among his brothers on the team.
    Business perspective wise, there will be $h!t of jerseys sold.
    The Breh
    NET Starter

Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:09 pm
  • The Breh wrote:Whatever team gets him will get a solidarity boost.
    3 less years of hits and tread on the wheels.
    I'd love to see what he can bring.
    For someone who would spend a lot of time holding a clipboard, he would bring immeasurable gratitude and respect among his brothers on the team.
    Business perspective wise, there will be a $h!t load of jerseys sold.
    The Breh
    NET Starter

Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:00 am
  • But what if he isn't any good? What if he literally is outplayed by Geno? What then?

Maybe he is a Vick, who came back from a 2-year hiatus to put up some decent numbers (after basically a redshirt 1st season back), or maybe he really isn't any better than the other options. At this point we really don't know. (I suspect he's better than, at least, half the current backups, but I can't know for certain)

It would be great to bring him in for an evaluation, but what do you do if he either has lost it, or he just isn't a good fit for the team? How do you cut the guy?

Honestly, I think that is a way bigger problem for Kaep than anything. I suspect there are several teams that would love to bring him on board (at this point). But the risk of what happens if he doesn't make the cut is probably too high.

I think this is the real conundrum for GMs at this point, even if it can be argued that it is a problem otheir own making.
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:01 am
  • Seattle did have him in for a look, he wasn’t worth what he was asking for back then. The Hawks got a look at what he was then, and passed on him. He was never widely recognized for his arm and hasn’t thrown in an NFL system for a very long time, and that skill which is critically important for the position is a diminishing skill. I don’t know if he still has the ability to play at a high level.

It’s true the league screwed him over, but he was an active participant of sorts. For him the time wasn’t right to continue his protest though it should have beenAs is clear to most every sensible person Nothing is for free, and he has burned a lot of bridges, those issues would need to be sorted out prior to him being given a chance to prove he still can play. The price would need to fit his circumstances as well. He will need to prove his skill is worth adding or he will be another athletic QB who remains out of work.

I don’t truly know if he genuinely wants to return on anything but his terms, perhaps there is little chance there is a franchise that wants to pay his price in terms of pure cost benefit. It’s on him now to show he wants to return. The time for that is now to show he can still play. If he does he would still only be signed for a back up gig, that job is paid less than a starting job.

His situation is an interesting social science case study. I wish him nothing but good luck.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:45 am
  • slateman77 wrote:Wouldn't that be something..?? If someone were to tell you back in 2013/2014 that Sherm would be a digit and Kap a Hawk...What would you have said...??? :shock: :shock: :shock:

I would have said let's turn that around and we'll be a better team. Still would. But I don't think we an afford either of them.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.

Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:08 am
  • Donn2390 wrote:I don't think there is any chance he is picked up by the Hawks or anyone else. Not only does he still bring a very bad vibe and lost revenue, but I would be surprised if he could make the team. He wasn't good when he left and a three year vacation doesn't help.

He only brought a bad vibe to those who made kneeling about the flag and politics. It's those folks who made it political. He never made a political statement. He made a plea to look at police brutality before the game started, and it was brief and respectful. From that point on, it was all football.

I remember him running rampant against the later versions of the legion of boom. Dude had game, but his football sense was sometimes questionable. He is better than a lot of starters in the game, and should easily have a job if others didnt bring politics into it. If you really mean what you say about football being football, then you sir need to leave politics out of it.
    johnnyfever
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:48 pm
  • They are getting Geno at a bargain rate. Very close, if not, at vet minimum. No way would Colin sign at that level. There are other pressing needs than a backup QB. I'd rather see the money spent on those than overspending on a backup QB who won't do more than hold a clipboard. Geno is exactly what is needed and at the right price.
    hawkfan68
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter

Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:05 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Pass. Hasn't played in 3 years.

And may I add to that ?...Maybe he doesn't want to play . Why would he want to...he's doing just fine without playin... but a backup to Wilson would be some easy bread when you think about it .
    xray
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:20 pm
  • xray wrote:The Hawks have Smith already . I also think that Anthony Gordon will be a surprise in camp .

Very possible. Practice squad, and then hopefully develops. It would be nice to develop a back up QB for once.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:14 pm
  • KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:50 pm
  • https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/

Here is a list of every QB currently in the NFL.

If you're REALLY going to say Kaep is unsigned because of talent, you're saying he is a worse player than every person named on this list.
    Basis4day
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:11 pm
  • KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Next

It is currently Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:28 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information