Could Kap be our back up?

suppaball

Reaction score
I am just speculating on my own here, but with our coaches latest words on Kap and the resent going ons in The United States, be a sign that a team is willing to take a risk on Kap.

I for one would feel safer with him over, who is it Geno Smith?

All I'm saying is it looks like he might be back in the league, for teams to not give him a chance, at this moment in time, would be a risk.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I've been arguing this in the political forum.

My position is give him a go at what Geno is getting--league minimum--and let them compete in camp.

Pete tweeted about Kaep's bravery with the kneeling and now sports media from ESPN to SI are pointing out that the kneeling was a major factor that 86'd the Colin talks back in 2017-2018. Now we have a PR controversy on top of not having a backup better than Geno.

Kaep has no chance of being paid as a starter. He isn't creating a QB controversy, not even if RW gets severely hurt and he has to start some games. They'll be looking for a younger option for 2021 if that happens and everyone knows it.

There probably won't be an anthem to kneel or stand for anyway. Not this year.

Go ahead and make him the offer.

He can always say no.

Rat

Reaction score
If he was willing to be paid like a backup, he’d probably already have a job.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Rat":2910gapu said:

No one ever engaged in talks with him though. Except us.

slateman77

Reaction score
Wouldn't that be something..?? If someone were to tell you back in 2013/2014 that Sherm would be a digit and Kap a Hawk...What would you have said...??? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Rat

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":1q6y6e1b said:
Rat":1q6y6e1b said:

No one ever engaged in talks with him though. Except us.
Has that been confirmed? It’s possible that teams have inquired into how much he would cost. Can’t see a lot of teams wanting to give him starter money given how poorly he played in his last season as a starter.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I would take him just for his ability to effing own Green Bay.

To be honest, having a QB that isn't a garbage pile if we need to spell Wilson for a short bit - seems reasonable.

How guys like Austin Davis got a job is mindblowing. Geno isn't any better.

At least Kap WAS good. He took a team to the SB.

The political backlash for signing him is almost non-existent now. The few upset about will be offset by the legions that work flock to support him (and buy his merch).

Donn2390

Reaction score
I don't think there is any chance he is picked up by the Hawks or anyone else. Not only does he still bring a very bad vibe and lost revenue, but I would be surprised if he could make the team. He wasn't good when he left and a three year vacation doesn't help.
Those facts along with the fact I don't think he wants to play, being an activist pays better and is more fun. It's easier to say I'm good than to have to prove it and fall on your face in embarrassment.
I hope he never plays another down anywhere. If players are now allowed to kneel I will be done watching football, along with millions of others. If they wish to stay in the locker room and leave their political views completely out of site, that could work. I enjoy the game, not the politics or the personalities..

English12thMan

Reaction score
he hasn't played in years and is about to turn 33. He purely relies on using his legs to make plays.

We don't need him and need all the cap money possible for our D-Line. It is a pass for me.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I’ll leave my diatribe for later but to put it simply I think Kaepernick prefers to be a martyr than a football player and will simply not accept any offer that’s not outrageous. Offer him $5m a year a bet he rejects it and cries racism.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Kapernick wasn't a starting caliber QB when he got started his protest. He showed that he was a system QB, and we're seeing what that system did for Lamar Jackson. Greg Roman knows how to use running QB's and he's proven that time and time again. To add to this, Kapernick hasn't played a snap of football or attended an NFL practice for years. In addition to that Kapernick and his girlfriend turned a contract with the Baltimore Ravens into a publicity stunt.

This is just my theory, but I think Kapernick doesn't actually want to be involved with the NFL. He is just using it as a means to further his cause and promote himself as a community leader. If we look at this from a logistical standpoint as well he is 33, and hasn't had NFL conditioning for years now. He was a QB that relied on his athleticism, he was a QB that played a lot like a running back. NFL defenses had him figured him out. Take away Kapernick's explosiveness and you have a backup QB that has poor passing fundamentals and accuracy, and a really obvious tell that defenses learned to key on.

In addition to all of this Collin Kapernick brings Tim Tebow levels of distraction to the team. I'd rather sign someone like Eric Reid who did the same exact thing as Kapernick but still was an alright player for DB depth.

xray

Reaction score
The Hawks have Smith already . I also think that Anthony Gordon will be a surprise in camp .

Seanhawk

Reaction score
They should bring him in for a workout. And by workout, I mean have him face Geno head to head in a best out of 10 coin toss contest. Winner gets the back up job. Personally I think he has no shot, but if he can knock off Geno it only makes the team better.

Basis4day

Reaction score
The Hawks have made investments in the backup qb position, so I don’t think this is likely.
Not really interested in debating the political aspects of this topic. It’s being discussed elsewhere.

From a pure football perspective, you’re in denial if you don’t think that Kaepernick is better than quite a few of the starting qbs in the NFL. If you don’t think he is ranked somewhere as the 33-64th most talented qb in the league I question your sanity.

He took a team to the Super Bowl and was as close to Wilson in SB49 to getting it. Had he. Or had to play an all-time defense he would have gotten to a second one. The 2013 49ers would also have destroyed that broncos team.

He has limitations, most QBs do. But put him in the right situation and he can be quite dangerous.

kf3339

Reaction score
If you want to pay him at least $10M/year as a backup go right ahead. I remember that being about his number to some team several years ago. He isn't going to be any teams backup, because no team is going to sign him now for anything over league minimum. Maybe a few dollars more if they have a rookie QB, but that is about it.

I hate to tell some of you, but he really wasn't that good when he was playing. The league had figured him out and he couldn't adjust. There has been far too much talk about his whole subject, and this is the only post I will make about it.

xray

Reaction score
He kissed his biceps better than Newton did . IMO :D

A-Dog

Reaction score
Donn2390":p2n1h8hl said:
I don't think there is any chance he is picked up by the Hawks or anyone else. Not only does he still bring a very bad vibe and lost revenue, but I would be surprised if he could make the team. He wasn't good when he left and a three year vacation doesn't help.
Those facts along with the fact I don't think he wants to play, being an activist pays better and is more fun. It's easier to say I'm good than to have to prove it and fall on your face in embarrassment.
I hope he never plays another down anywhere. If players are now allowed to kneel I will be done watching football, along with millions of others. If they wish to stay in the locker room and leave their political views completely out of site, that could work. I enjoy the game, not the politics or the personalities..
For someone who "enjoys the game, not the politics or the personalities" you sure wrote a lot about politics and not much about the game.

I hope every player and coach on every team kneels for the anthem at every game.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
A-Dog":1gwuw8dl said:
Donn2390":1gwuw8dl said:
For someone who "enjoys the game, not the politics or the personalities" you sure wrote a lot about politics and not much about the game.

I hope every player and coach on every team kneels for the anthem at every game.

They probably will. The NFL probably knows this. They'll probably cancel it under the aegis of coronavirus and most will probably breathe a sigh of relief.

Maybe someone like Jerrah will still insist. He'll have the whole of CNN/MSNBC plus all the sports media down photoing who is kneeling and probably more media will leave once the crappy game starts.

Seymour

Reaction score
Not worth the headache!!

If Smith beats him out as backup imagine the conflict that would follow...and all for a backup position? :177692:

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Team doesnt need the circus show. Just pass.