Seahawks considering using Marquise Blair in nickel packages

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/TheSeahawksWire/status/1271224865111015424[/tweet]

“He’s a guy that we’re very interested in finding a role for him,” Carroll said. “We’ve already mapped that out. He’s got some real special talent that we want to find a spot for him…In the nickel package he is going to get a lot of consideration to contribute in some additional ways, because he’s unique and he’s got some special stuff.”

Now, while he’s still in the mix at either free or strong safety, the opportunity to compete for snaps with Amadi at nickel corner further adds to his versatility, and gives the Seahawks more confidence in their nickel package, a move that should help the defense on the whole in 2020.

chris98251

Reaction score
So McDougald and Diggs are starters and we need to find a way to get Blair and Amadi on the field to justify drafting them, then we have Dunbar, Griffin and Flowers to figure out that mess that doesn't include the other guys they have backing them up. Seems we may have a lot of bodies and few secondary spots, the Starters are already pretty much declared.

HawkStrong

Reaction score
chris98251":367n4wjm said:
So McDougald and Diggs are starters and we need to find a way to get Blair and Amadi on the field to justify drafting them, then we have Dunbar, Griffin and Flowers to figure out that mess that doesn't include the other guys they have backing them up. Seems we may have a lot of bodies and few secondary spots, the Starters are already pretty much declared.

Seems like a nice problem to have considering recent years.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Not a fan of Flowers as a starter until he learns to turn his head and play the ball.
Yes, I know, broken record. I’m OK with him as a reserve.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1parcc83 said:
Not a fan of Flowers as a starter until he learns to turn his head and play the ball.
Yes, I know, broken record. I’m OK with him as a reserve.

Were you same way about shaq?

ivotuk

Reaction score
When they first drafted Kam Chancellor, and I saw who he was, and his measurable, I was excited. Not because I knew he'd be as good as he was, but he had this character one could feel, a drive and a fearlessness that was spooky.

When he first started getting real reps on the field, he was actually pretty decent, not a liablility, and he improved so quickly. And at the time I said "I think Kam's going to be great, but if it were any other Coach, he may have never gotten the chance to be great."

By that time, I think most fans that paid attention were excited about him. You could just feel it building. And later we learned that Earl depended on Kam for the game plan when Kam held out. E.T. admitted as much.

I haven't seen enough of Blair to get a feel for him one way or another, but I believe that he has what it takes to be really good. But he'll never be Kam, no one ever will be.

IMHO, Kam Chancellor is a HOF DB that made more of a mark on the game than most. He was the *BOOM* in the LOB, and made them who they were. Again, MHO, but I don't think that Sherm and Earl would have been as good as they were without Kam out there being the Enforcer.

The most important part of the defense this year is going to be the DBs. Per Dave Wyman, last year opposing teams got the ball out quick, never allowing the defensive linemen to get anywhere near the QB. I agree with him on that, so if the DBs vastly improve this year, with or without Clowney, our total sacks with be more than 40.

My reasoning? Look at how many sacks Russell Wilson takes. Why? Because the ball doesn't get out quick enough.

I'm trusting Pete on these DBs. He's going to put together a great squad. But if, and only if, he plays the young guys. They need reps. That's what got it done for Kam.

Largent80

Reaction score
This is an important year for Blair for sure. Griffin and McDougald are in contract years too so Amadi needs to take the next step as well.

sdog1981

Reaction score
The team needed an "open space" defender desperately last season. I don't care who plays the position, linebacker, safety, or nickel. The team needs a player that can cover the deep crosses and fly sweeps that have been the bain of this team for about 3 years now.

Flowers and Blair I think can both excel at this role.

hedgehawk

Reaction score
I don’t know what they do, but they have to get faster on defense. It was painful watching our linebackers play last year and still be pretty poor against the run. Change is definitely needed in my opinion. Hopefully they find ways to get guys like Blair on the field.

chris98251

Reaction score
With the wave of multiple receiver offenses in fluxed a bandit package heavy may be used at times, we have the personnel.