Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How much do care about the TEAM or the individual players

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • I was pondering the contract issues Dallas is having with their QB at times hoping the Dallas signed a stupidly large contract that would hamstring the team for five years and at times hoping they would tell him to shove off with his stupid demands and go with Dalton.

I thought about the Seahawks and how much I care about individual players. While I like RW and want success from the various players in the end, if the whole team one day were all fired and we started from scratch I honestly wouldn't care at all. As long as they are the Seattle Seahawks I will be there supporting the TEAM.

This league where every decent starter seems to think they are worth $20m/year is getting ridiculous. If they wanted to wipe the league and start over with a salary cap and PLAYER max I'd be all for it. It certainly hasn't helped the Seahawks to have 16% of their cap tied up in one player though its a player I like.
    JayhawkMike
    NET Starter

• JayhawkMike wrote:I was pondering the contract issues Dallas is having with their QB at times hoping the Dallas signed a stupidly large contract that would hamstring the team for five years and at times hoping they would tell him to shove off with his stupid demands and go with Dalton.

I thought about the Seahawks and how much I care about individual players. While I like RW and want success from the various players in the end, if the whole team one day were all fired and we started from scratch I honestly wouldn't care at all. As long as they are the Seattle Seahawks I will be there supporting the TEAM.

This league where every decent starter seems to think they are worth $20m/year is getting ridiculous. If they wanted to wipe the league and start over with a salary cap and PLAYER max I'd be all for it. It certainly hasn't helped the Seahawks to have 16% of their cap tied up in one player though its a player I like.

You must have missed the Behring years........
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• I'll always root for the team first, but it's easy to root for the individual players as well since most of the time that is pulling in the same direction. If players leave on good terms then I usually root for them on their new teams as well, such as Mebane on the Chargers or Tate on the Lions.

The player max is terrible for parity if you look at the NBA. It artificially inflates the value of having superstar players which are then majorly underpaid, and this would just be exacerbated with QB contracts in the NFL. It would be great for the Seahawks in the short term since we have Russ, but bad for the NFL overall.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

• Team 1st
    xray
    NET Veteran

• For most pro sports I tend to root for the individual, regardless of team affiliation. Marshawn, Lebron, Russ Westbrook, Iverson, Deion Sanders was one, Mahomes, Odell, Connor McDavid, Ovechkin, Coach Calipari etc etc guys like that come to mind.

The Seahawks are a bit different, as they are the only pro sports team that I care about. But I'm definitely pro player whenever there is a dispute with the suits.

I just find it more enjoyable cheering for a human being to succeed from the start of their career rather than cheering for laundry.

I also get to enjoy more championships this way.
    KinesProf
    NET Rookie

• JayhawkMike wrote:I was pondering the contract issues Dallas is having with their QB at times hoping the Dallas signed a stupidly large contract that would hamstring the team for five years and at times hoping they would tell him to shove off with his stupid demands and go with Dalton.

Or eliminate the salary cap and the draft and other anti-capitalism tools used to put a ceiling on earnings and limit player movement.

It has been argued that those two things help with parity and competitive balance, but all in all I'm not sure that has proven to be true. The well run organizations stay competent and competitive year in and year out -New England, Seattle, Baltimore , Kansas City, Pittsburgh, New Orleans, Green Bay. And the bad organizations, aside from a fluke season, stay incompetent regardless of spending and draft position -Cleveland, Cincinnati, Washington, Jacksonville, NYJ
    KinesProf
    NET Rookie

If that player is responsible for putting up 70 % of the Offensive success, then 16% of the CAP seems (to me) to be a pretty good deal.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• As a youth I lived and died with the individual players and the team.

As an adult I have much more emotional distance from the players. I “love” a player in-game for their play like they “love” me as a fan cheering for them. It goes no further and I think that’s healthy, although I do not say other distances can’t be healthy.

Off the field I value no player or celebrity higher than I would any other complete stranger.

I’m emotionally closer to the team but even that I do with a sense of perspective that it’s pretense I engage in as a diversion.
    hawk45
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• Personally, I root for the team above individual players. They come and go, but the team remains the same franchise year in and year out.

But I can see why others choose the reverse option.
    kf3339
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter

Smellyman
    NET Veteran

• hawk45 wrote:As a youth I lived and died with the individual players and the team.

As an adult I have much more emotional distance from the players. I “love” a player in-game for their play like they “love” me as a fan cheering for them. It goes no further and I think that’s healthy, although I do not say other distances can’t be healthy.

Off the field I value no player or celebrity higher than I would any other complete stranger.

I’m emotionally closer to the team but even that I do with a sense of perspective that it’s pretense I engage in as a diversion.

Seconded.
    Somos doces
    NET Bench Warmer

• Players come and go, but the Seattle Seahawks will be there year after year. Well unless you have a SuperSonics situation and then your heart breaks and you stop watching the sport altogether.

But yea, I'm 100% for the team. As a lot of us here, you've watched players get drafted, play, retire, new player drafted, play, retire, once you've seen this 30+ years, it just becomes about the team.

Not saying I don't 'bond' with certain players, I do, it's just not even close to the level of investment I have with the team, the name, the colors, the logo, etc.

PS I know someone who is the exact opposite. He falls in loves with players from his college team, then follows them to their pro team, and that team becomes his favorite temporarily. It seems to change constantly based on these players he loves from his college team..... I don't understand that at all. But whatever floats your boat.
    twisted_steel2
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• If you asked me this 20 years ago, I'd have been 100% behind the individual players. Now? I really only care about the team. I just can't relate to players these days.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

• knownone wrote:If you asked me this 20 years ago, I'd have been 100% behind the individual players. Now? I really only care about the team. I just can't relate to players these days.

I'm in this boat as well..
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• Not sure how to answer this topic question. I relate closely to players and coaches. Always have. Sometimes the relationship is mostly imaginary, but other times it becomes personal through actual interaction. I have had a variety of favorite teams over the years, beginning with the Chargers when I was a little kid and they had John Hadl, but have been true blue 'Seahawk only' since about 1980. Can't imagine ever not being a Seahawk. I dread the day when change inevitably comes and we lose Coach Carroll. He's the primary reason Seattle is now one of the most desired teams to play for by players around the league, and even in college ranks.
    Seahawks all the way, even if they change clothes! Again.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.

• Team first usually but damn Russell is special though. He would definitely be the player i will follow if he ever leaves or gets traded.
    rcaido
    NET Veteran

• Team first. Wouldn't work well if you go the other way.
    gmor
    NET Rookie

• Team first.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Team first.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• What team? Its RW, bad draft picks and the one or two year contracts.
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

• I became a Seahawks fan initially, effectively divorcing the obsession I had with another franchise throughout my childhood and early teen years, because of an individual player I was an enormous fan of in the mid 90s. However, it has been well over two decades now, and I remain a fan of the team despite all the player turnover. I’m hooked on the Hawks now, but honestly, it wouldn’t take me long to latch on to a new team if the Seahawks were contracted for some strange reason.

Based on past discussions on this board, I’d wager “city/region” is more accurate than “team”. How many of those saying “team first” would remain a fan if the franchise were relocated? Doesn’t seem to be a lot of Thunder fans in these parts.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• When I was a kid it was VERY much players over team, especially here in Seattle where that's really all we had to root for in the 70's and 80's was individual players to do well.

I'd obsess over Largent, Zorn, Easley, Alvin Davis, Griffey, etc. Far more than the team, cause that meant more painful letdowns.

But as I've gotten older and understood the cold business side of pro sports, it's 100% team. Sure I still have my favorite players, but winning is all that matters now..........so it that means winning without my favorite players, so be it, see ya.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Rat wrote:I became a Seahawks fan initially, effectively divorcing the obsession I had with another franchise throughout my childhood and early teen years, because of an individual player I was an enormous fan of in the mid 90s. However, it has been well over two decades now, and I remain a fan of the team despite all the player turnover. I’m hooked on the Hawks now, but honestly, it wouldn’t take me long to latch on to a new team if the Seahawks were contracted for some strange reason.

Based on past discussions on this board, I’d wager “city/region” is more accurate than “team”. How many of those saying “team first” would remain a fan if the franchise were relocated? Doesn’t seem to be a lot of Thunder fans in these parts.

For sure.

There's a reason the city comes first in the name, right? That's the whole point, our city vs your city, our state vs your state! Tribalism.

Doesn't make much sense rooting for a team that packed up and left us and plays somewhere I've never been. (ex here was Oklahoma)

So the more accurate phrase would be I'm 100% a Seattle Seahawks fan..... you're right, if they were sold, and moved, my allegiance would be gone. And I'd have a big ol' hole in my heart.
    twisted_steel2
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• Guess I'd have to admit my first allegiance is to the game of football. There are times I am unable to watch the Seahawk game, so I watch some other game on TV while I keep track of our game on the internet. If the Seahawks were somehow no longer a team I would likely find another to pull for. But it would be tough. After 40 yrs or so of being a Seahawk changing that bond would be a tall order. But I will always love the GAME.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.

• twisted_steel2 wrote:
    Rat wrote:I became a Seahawks fan initially, effectively divorcing the obsession I had with another franchise throughout my childhood and early teen years, because of an individual player I was an enormous fan of in the mid 90s. However, it has been well over two decades now, and I remain a fan of the team despite all the player turnover. I’m hooked on the Hawks now, but honestly, it wouldn’t take me long to latch on to a new team if the Seahawks were contracted for some strange reason.

For sure.

There's a reason the city comes first in the name, right? That's the whole point, our city vs your city, our state vs your state! Tribalism.

Doesn't make much sense rooting for a team that packed up and left us and plays somewhere I've never been. (ex here was Oklahoma)

So the more accurate phrase would be I'm 100% a Seattle Seahawks fan..... you're right, if they were sold, and moved, my allegiance would be gone. And I'd have a big ol' hole in my heart.

That makes sense. I moved around so much as a kid that I never had a local team to latch onto (my allegiances in the Big 4 sports are about as far apart as they get); I guess I always kind of considered the team “the team” even if they moved. But yeah, it’s not like the Ravens are still considered the Browns.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• Players and coaches come and go. I am a STH's since 1987.
    LudwigsDrummer
    US Navy Air VP 56 `74-`78

• The "players first" crowd will never admit to it, but you'll know them when they come in here and wring their hands about how awful the 90s were without a good QB.
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• I love the individual players.

But the players will "play" for any team that pays them.

The players themselves don't "love" the organization most of the time.

The organization will be what you follow in your life.

I believe you can love both the organization and the individual players.

Players for the most part give it their all on the field for most of the time.

It's hard to say if the organization gives it "their all" most of the time (look at the Browns, Jaguars, Bengals, Raiders and Jets).
    TheLegendOfBoom
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• When I was a kid and when I was young I liked the players, hence why I started off as Bears fan (Walter Payton) and then became an Eagles fan after he was gone when I first saw a QB that didn't run like he only had one leg(Randall Cunningham).

Back then QBs were like picking teams at school or on the street and it was like, "Well...can you at least throw it?"

Eventually you grow up though. The Seahawks are a team by definition. Home state team at that. Team first, all the way.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• I'm a fan of the COACHES first, then GM and organization, and then the players.

This actually makes it hard to truly hate that coastal NFL franchise south of Seattle, because they have had some truly great coaches, and in the form of Pete Carroll, we have benefited greatly from that coaching tree. They also currently have a coach with some commonality with Pete Carroll's coaching lineage.

Pete Carroll is an absolutely FANTASTIC coach and we are so lucky to have him.
    Having John Scheider to work with him makes it even better.

As far as players go, Russell is pretty awesome and has defined this generation of Seahawks, right along with Bobby Wagner. We do have some terrific leaders among the players, which is also a function of the coaching philosophy and overall coaching and team culture excellence that Carroll brings.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

It is currently Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:29 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information