Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Is It Going To Take For Russ To Win MVP?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • Over the past several years QBs have been winning the MVP. The last non-QB to win I believe was Adrian Peterson in 2012. Not just speaking as a diehard Seahawks fan but as an NFL fan I am astounded Russell Wilson has not only never won MVP but never had a SINGLE VOTE cast for him!

    Say wha??

    Last year he was the front runner for MVP for the first half of the season but we all know how that ended. Lamar Jackson went on a freakish video game-like tear that anyone would be hard pressed to argue. Stats are stats. No I am not proud to admit I was hoping more than a few times Lamar would come down with a nasty stomach bug the day of a game. But Russ himself would be the first to admit his stats dropped off towards the end of the season and the deserving player won.

    So moving forward, what does Russ need to do to win the MVP? We are a run-first philosophy offense. Russ' passing attempts is almost always in the low to mid 20's per game. TDs and yards are a big part of the equation as is efficiency. What I struggle with is the paradigm of Most Valuable Player. Well, what does that mean? To me, it means a player who is absolutely essential to their team in order to win and win consistently. Without that player the team would be rudderless.

    Again, as an NFL fan, I am hard pressed to think of a player that has deserved the award more than once in his career other than Russell Wilson. Am I out in left field on this? Let me know your thoughts.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 14070
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:58 am
    Location: Just 4 miles from Richard Sherman!


  • The fact that he's never once received an MVP vote says a lot. Unreal
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 15402
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • The MVP race is always about the Season's narrative.

    For Russ to win the Seahawks would need the following to happen.

    Start out 0-2 or 2-2 with Russ missing time.

    Then they have to win 13 or more games. Russ needs to be in the top 5 of TD passes and yards, along with bottom 5 in interceptions.

    Needs to have a huge game on national TV in November, once the national media is singing his MVP praises the team can't blow easy games in December.

    If all that falls into place he will win it.

    The last time this almost happened was 2016. Seahawks were expected to miss the playoffs then started the year 7-2-1 with a big win on the road in New England in mid-November. The Wilson MVP train was fully loaded for the MVP journy. The team ended up going 3-3 down the stretch, Wilson also had horrible games on the road in Tampa Bay and Green Bay in November and December.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2624
    Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:54 am


  • Aros wrote:Over the past several years QBs have been winning the MVP. The last non-QB to win I believe was Adrian Peterson in 2012. Not just speaking as a diehard Seahawks fan but as an NFL fan I am astounded Russell Wilson has not only never won MVP but never had a SINGLE VOTE cast for him!

    Say wha??

    Last year he was the front runner for MVP for the first half of the season but we all know how that ended. Lamar Jackson went on a freakish video game-like tear that anyone would be hard pressed to argue. Stats are stats. No I am not proud to admit I was hoping more than a few times Lamar would come down with a nasty stomach bug the day of a game. But Russ himself would be the first to admit his stats dropped off towards the end of the season and the deserving player won.

    So moving forward, what does Russ need to do to win the MVP? We are a run-first philosophy offense. Russ' passing attempts is almost always in the low to mid 20's per game. TDs and yards are a big part of the equation as is efficiency. What I struggle with is the paradigm of Most Valuable Player. Well, what does that mean? To me, it means a player who is absolutely essential to their team in order to win and win consistently. Without that player the team would be rudderless.

    Again, as an NFL fan, I am hard pressed to think of a player that has deserved the award more than once in his career other than Russell Wilson. Am I out in left field on this? Let me know your thoughts.



    Needs to be in a Market that gets more love, Dallas, New York, Los Angeles, or just any East Coast City really,

    He also keeps a low profile pretty much and isn't in the Media Spotlight with outrageous game numbers week to week, he is consistently consistent and low profile. He cumulates great numbers from start to finish and everyone looks and goes wholly crap look what he did.

    Every NFL DC hates him as a player because he finds a way to do things that shouldn't be possible, the media wants Glamorous numbers and blow outs.

    If Wilson was a Car he would be a



    Tesla Roadster 2020 , not loud ,yes a bit of flash but efficient and fast.

    Image

    What Media wants to see.

    Image

    Loud attention drawing and inefficient still fast, but not as fast.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 31561
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • I think Russ is in great position to win an MVP IF he an get back in and WIN the SB.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 1003
    Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:43 pm
    Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.


  • Super Bowl wouldn't matter. MVP voting is over before then.

    I blame Fantasy Football. Modern fans vote on individual stats, not actual talent and outcomes. Because of the team philosophy, Russ's numbers are always pretty good but not league leading. The fact that he wins so many games that wouldn't be won by a lesser QB doesn't seem to matter much. Fans want gaudy stats, not steady performance.

    Life's not fair.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 19461
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


  • Undefeated regular season would probably be the guarantee for him to get MVP votes.

    Selfish Russ caring for his stats and go for more TDs which i cant see him doing.
    rcaido
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1165
    Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:47 pm


  • Better luck. Somebody seems to put together an insane statistical season whenever he’s at his best.

    I really had no issue with Lamar winning last year; it’s consistent with how MVP is always awarded, and he would have been my vote too, but damn, would have been nice to at least get a vote or two.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *
     
    Posts: 5912
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:42 pm
    Location: Grand Rapids, MI


  • What would help him is to show more raw emotion . He's just really boring to the world outside of Seattle . What would help him would be...after he takes a sack that was dirty...Wilson jumps up and grabs the defenders lapels and screams an obscenity in the guys face . I would love to see that . Too much to hope for .
    xray
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2809
    Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:29 am
    Location: AZ


  • There was one year he should have won..So he got screwed.
    Win another SB those are better than season MVP.
    SB MVP would be nice too.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5416
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:42 pm


  • xray wrote:What would help him is to show more raw emotion . He's just really boring to the world outside of Seattle . What would help him would be...after he takes a sack that was dirty...Wilson jumps up and grabs the defenders lapels and screams an obscenity in the guys face . I would love to see that . Too much to hope for .


    I don't know how much I agree with this. In the past four years, we've seen Lamar Jackson, Patrick Mahomes, and Matt Ryan all win MVPs, and I wouldn't say any of them show exceptional emotion. Hell, Matt Ryan's personality is as exciting and dynamic as a stale potato chip. He has been in the league 13 years, and I can't even remember what his voice sounds like.

    Russ is kind of a cornball, but in a time where people are getting increasingly sick of divas, I don't think his personality is seen as a negative at all, and I certainly don't think he is seen as boring. Announcers can't stop raving about him, and he is universally regarded as one of the most exciting players in the league to watch. The perception of him is overwhelmingly positive.

    I really wish the NFL did ranked MVP voting like you see in other sports. It would be nice to see where Russ sits in the minds of the voters.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *
     
    Posts: 5912
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:42 pm
    Location: Grand Rapids, MI


  • 10,000 yards passing
    2,000 yards rushing
    80 TD's
    0 INT's
    150+ passer rating
    going 19-0 winning the SB

    Then, maybe he'll get it.
    notyou
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 177
    Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:50 pm


  • notyou wrote:10,000 yards passing
    2,000 yards rushing
    80 TD's
    0 INT's
    150+ passer rating
    going 19-0 winning the SB

    Then, maybe he'll get it.


    Probably not.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 14070
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:58 am
    Location: Just 4 miles from Richard Sherman!


  • If we had won the Ravens game last year, and beaten the Niners in the final game of the season earning the 1 seed, I think he'd have won despite inferior stats (which were still great).
    themunn
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3479
    Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 5:38 pm


  • It was mentioned but the one thing that Russ has that others don't (at least at this point) is the efficiency and consistency. He was recently ranked as the 3rd best QB in a CBS poll (take that with a grain of salt).

    There aren't too many other QBs that could fit in Seattles system. Example....imagine Russ in KCs system. He still shines in an offense that, in my opinion, doesn't fully capitalize on his talents.

    Year after year, he proves he's one of the best. With the game on the line, I'd take him above all others including Rodgers. If you look at it from that perspective, who's better? Lamar or Mahomes? I'd argue against that all day because the results speak for themselves. Mahomes has definitely crept up in this area but Wilson has the edge for sure.

    He definitely has the best deep ball.

    $$$ aside, there's no other QB I'd take over Wilson. Not receiving at least one MVP vote is simply mindblowing.
    Elemas
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 394
    Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:02 pm


  • I can understand the not winning part. The system is stacked against him in some ways.

    But yeah, not getting any votes at all is really screwed up.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 19461
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


  • Why called it the MVP if it's not for the MOST VALUABLE player to his team. He has clearly been that for years. To not even get a vote says it all. And, like someone mentioned, location seems to matter. Even though it shouldn't, if he was playing in a bigger market like LA or NY, he likely wins one, or at least gets some votes.
    And how many of these voters for the MVP still are not wanting to vote for him because they can't accept how wrong they were? Look how many years it took to even get the national guys to get on board. They flat out talk about how long it has taken.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 15402
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Why called it the MVP if it's not for the MOST VALUABLE player to his team. He has clearly been that for years. To not even get a vote says it all. And, like someone mentioned, location seems to matter. Even though it shouldn't, if he was playing in a bigger market like LA or NY, he likely wins one, or at least gets some votes.
    And how many of these voters for the MVP still are not wanting to vote for him because they can't accept how wrong they were? Look how many years it took to even get the national guys to get on board. They flat out talk about how long it has taken.


    The last MVP from the NY or LA market was in 1985. Seattle has one much more recently than that. Are Baltimore, Kansas City, and Charlotte especially big markets? That’s 3 of the past 5 MVPs (Boston and Atlanta the other two).

    In the past decade, 7 MVPs led their teams to #1 seeds, with 2 others as 2 seeds. The only one to even play in the wild card round was ADP in 2012 who was the #5 seed in a nothing-special Minnesota market after his 2000 yard season. There seems to be more a pattern there. Most of them just had very special statistical seasons (Lamar, Mahomes, Cam, etc). I don’t see any inherent bias against Russ, who is extremely well liked and respected around the league, both my media and players/coaches.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *
     
    Posts: 5912
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:42 pm
    Location: Grand Rapids, MI


  • Dang, I stand corrected. Interesting. He deserves to win one, no idea if he'll ever get the nod. LA didn't have a team for 20 plus years, so that was a crap example, but I think you get the point. Oh well, I just want him hoist another Lombardi, MVP in another Superb Owl victory is plenty good in by book.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 15402
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • It will take him being the focus of a successful campaign.

    That will never happen under Carroll. So the answer is: When Carroll retires/is no longer coach, and if Wilson is still young enough to be effective.

    Market size doesn't matter. KC isn't a huge market. Green Bay? No. Outside of Brady, the last big market QB to win the MVP was Joe Theismann in 1983. So market bias doesn't play a part.

    He needs probably 2 of the following 3:

    1. Most dominant team in the league
    2. 5000 yds passing
    3. Blowout and marquee wins.

    That's the common thread/element to all of the MVP QB winners in the last decade. QBs will get consideration by nature if they are on the dominant team -- which usually results in blowout wins and marquee wins. But they have to be the x factor as well. Lamar was clearly that for Baltimore even though he failed to even get 3200 yards passing (a mark Wilson has bettered every year except his rookie season). Jackson's rushing ability, and being the obvious reason his teams were destroying the best in the league clearly outweighed his passing numbers.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2450
    Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:38 pm


  • Simple: Be the best player on the best team.

    So an early win streak where Russ is clearly our leader on offense leading to an eventual top seed in the conference.

    He hasn't been able to break through because it's more than stats. It's stats and record. Getting 10-11 wins a year doesn't cut it unless you are head and shoulders above everyone else. Get 13-14 wins and you get in the conversation with the Mahomes/Watson/Jackson/Fresh shiny pennies of the NFL.

    Wilson is a top 10 player in the league but to get that "top player" rank requires a better record.
    Mad Dog
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1787
    Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:12 am


  • Every time Russ is in the MVP race Seahawks will have a stinky game. It's like he has to throw the ball, fight for position, catch it, and then not fumble while running. We were at the Saints game and WRs were dropping balls in the end zone. Just missed opportunities. Russ can't do it alone
    Heyseed
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 619
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:09 am


  • '15 was statistically his best year, but Cam and Carson were out of their minds. Last year he was in the driver's seat, but only really had 2 good games in the second half of the season. He probably should have gotten a vote in each of those seasons. Besides that, he just doesn't have the volume to have a great shot at it. For him to get that volume, something will have to go terribly wrong.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5231
    Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:37 pm


  • Mad Dog wrote:Simple: Be the best player on the best team..


    This.

    MVP has as much to do about playing on a great team as it does individual stats. Throw in some good ol' media hype momentum, and voila, you've got the recipe for winning a MVP.

    When's the last time a player's won the MVP on a 10-6 or even 11-5 record? Russ has to have a career year stats wise, and the Hawks have to be a 14-2 or 13-3 #1 seed type of SB challenging team.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 17072
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am


  • Russell Wilson's problem is that after the Bucs game his performances started to look more pedestrian. He had a four game stretch where he threw 4 touchdowns and 4 interceptions. To add to this we had crushing defeats vs. the Rams, 49ers and Cardinals where Russ didn't look great, all near the end of the season.

    I don't think that Russell Wilson is never going to get an MVP under Pete Carroll. Carroll's offensive system is the biggest thing holding Russell Wilson back.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3348
    Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:31 am


  • Sgt. Largent wrote:When's the last time a player's won the MVP on a 10-6 or even 11-5 record? Russ has to have a career year stats wise, and the Hawks have to be a 14-2 or 13-3 #1 seed type of SB challenging team.


    ADP in 2012 (the Vikings were 10-6), and even THAT required a rare 2000 yard rushing season, which was the highest single-season rushing total in 28 years, and just eight yards short of Dickerson’s all-time mark. He won 30.5 votes to 19.5 over Peyton Manning, who had led the Broncos to the 1 seed in the AFC.

    The only other time this millennium where the MVP winner came from a team that even played on wild card weekend was 2003, where Peyton and Steve McNair split the award. They led their teams to identical 11-5 records, with the Colts as the three seed and the Titans as the five seed.

    It is ridiculous that Russ hasn’t even Bobby Wagnered a single vote (he certainly would have if the NFL did ranked voting like they should), but unfortunately he has been unlucky that Cam and Lamar had insane, unprecedented statistical seasons on #1 seeded teams in Russ’ two most worthy seasons.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *
     
    Posts: 5912
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:42 pm
    Location: Grand Rapids, MI


  • In the end every MVP had a few bad games in their MVP campaign, but when you do what Jackson did, mind you not passing but passing and running on a 14-2 team you get the mvp.

    What Wilson does year after year is despite the system. What Jackson, Mahomes etc is with the system. Meaning they have a system built for and around them. Wilson does not, and as long as PC is here he never will., barring not something going wrong, but PC waking up and realizing his best chance to get back to the SB on offense is letting WIlson run the show and creating a system built for and around him, nothign will change. The funny part is if not for WIlson more than likly PC would nto still be here as HC.
    John63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2793
    Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:56 pm


  • Can we give the Pete vs. Russ stuff a rest? Pete has done a lot to benefit Russ. Russ has done a lot to benefit Pete.

    They both like each other, work well together and have both contributed to an enormously successful run of Seahawks football.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4160
    Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:08 pm
    Location: Seattle


  • We've literally had games where Wilson had less than 50 yards at the half. One was only a few years ago.

    The whole Pete holds Russ back argument stems from the fact that Pete holds Russ back. That is fact, not opinion.

    There is no way an offense designed around the run, focusing on the run, emphasizing the run does not negatively impact QB production at least in production of yards in aggregate, and likely in scoring.

    So in this offense, with this coach, it is incredible that Wilson was even mentioned in MVP conversations at all.

    What has to happen for Wilson to win MVP is high scoring games. When our defense struggles, we put up yards and points - because Wilson is a capable enough QB to do this consistently if needed. He will be efficient in the RZ given the opportunity and he will throw for yards with accuracy when needed.

    If we score frequently through the air and put up numbers for yardage without interceptions (which Wilson is good at not throwing), he will be in the mix.

    We likely do not have to win out, even our division - but he needs to put up numbers...which means our defense needs to struggle. Because nothing screams 'MVP' like a QB carrying his team to wins, despite his defense not pulling its weight.

    As pointed out by other posters, he would need 1-2 showcase wins on national TV against a well-regarded opponent. Ideally a shoot-out again another MVP QB candidate.

    TLDR

    A bad defense and 9+ wins. At least 1-2 showcase wins.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3890
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:48 pm


  • AgentDib wrote:Can we give the Pete vs. Russ stuff a rest? Pete has done a lot to benefit Russ. Russ has done a lot to benefit Pete.

    They both like each other, work well together and have both contributed to an enormously successful run of Seahawks football.


    No, we shall continue to beat the false narrative drum that if Pete let's Russ cook by slinging it all over the yard, we shall do nothing but lay back and watch the Lombardi trophies pile up.

    I mean, just look at the evidence. Here's the top 15 list of QB's last year by most attempts.

    1. Jameis Winston
    2. Jared Goff
    3. Matt Ryan
    4. Tom Brady
    5. Carson Wentz
    6. Dak Prescott
    7. Philip Rivers
    8. Aaron Rodgers
    9. Kyler Murray
    10. Baker Mayfield
    11. Andy Dalton
    12. Russell Wilson
    13. Mitch Trubisky
    14. Derek Carr
    15. Ryan Fitzpatrick

    Pretty much a who's who of Lombardi trophy collectors.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 17072
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am


  • TwistedHusky wrote:We've literally had games where Wilson had less than 50 yards at the half. One was only a few years ago.

    The whole Pete holds Russ back argument stems from the fact that Pete holds Russ back. That is fact, not opinion.

    There is no way an offense designed around the run, focusing on the run, emphasizing the run does not negatively impact QB production at least in production of yards in aggregate, and likely in scoring.

    So in this offense, with this coach, it is incredible that Wilson was even mentioned in MVP conversations at all.

    What has to happen for Wilson to win MVP is high scoring games. When our defense struggles, we put up yards and points - because Wilson is a capable enough QB to do this consistently if needed. He will be efficient in the RZ given the opportunity and he will throw for yards with accuracy when needed.

    If we score frequently through the air and put up numbers for yardage without interceptions (which Wilson is good at not throwing), he will be in the mix.

    We likely do not have to win out, even our division - but he needs to put up numbers...which means our defense needs to struggle. Because nothing screams 'MVP' like a QB carrying his team to wins, despite his defense not pulling its weight.

    As pointed out by other posters, he would need 1-2 showcase wins on national TV against a well-regarded opponent. Ideally a shoot-out again another MVP QB candidate.

    TLDR

    A bad defense and 9+ wins. At least 1-2 showcase wins.


    I still dont think that does it, he has had that before and still not even a vote. To me it boils down to eveyroen knowing what PC wants and values and as long as he is hear WIlson will not get his due. I mean have you heard PC push for him to be MVP when asked about it? I have not. Heck they will not even dispell trade rumors. I can go on, Compared to other top QBs he is kind of direspected by the organization or taken for granted. I mean name me a top QB who has not had an offense built for and around them? Name me a top QB that has not had their organization try to build a pass blocking olien for them? I can go on and on. What it boils down to in my mind is a lack of respect or being taken for granted and if your own organization does that why should anyone vote for you. As far as PC and WIlson liking each other and getting along, well for one what would you expect them to say duh. 2 they can liek each other and even get laong that does not mean they see eye to eye on the field, which we know they dont.

    So I think the way this orgnization verbally talks about Wilson with regards to things impacts things alot. I mean you cant help but wonder well PC up there in seattle wants to run and run and run so whats wrong with Wilson? Why if he is as good as some say does he not build it around him? I am sure it impacts how voters think.
    John63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2793
    Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:56 pm


  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    AgentDib wrote:Can we give the Pete vs. Russ stuff a rest? Pete has done a lot to benefit Russ. Russ has done a lot to benefit Pete.

    They both like each other, work well together and have both contributed to an enormously successful run of Seahawks football.


    No, we shall continue to beat the false narrative drum that if Pete let's Russ cook by slinging it all over the yard, we shall do nothing but lay back and watch the Lombardi trophies pile up.

    I mean, just look at the evidence. Here's the top 15 list of QB's last year by most attempts.

    1. Jameis Winston
    2. Jared Goff
    3. Matt Ryan
    4. Tom Brady
    5. Carson Wentz
    6. Dak Prescott
    7. Philip Rivers
    8. Aaron Rodgers
    9. Kyler Murray
    10. Baker Mayfield
    11. Andy Dalton
    12. Russell Wilson
    13. Mitch Trubisky
    14. Derek Carr
    15. Ryan Fitzpatrick

    Pretty much a who's who of Lombardi trophy collectors.


    once again we are tno saying allwo him to throw it all over the place, that is the narrative some are using to say no. We are saying allow him to do it sooner and change the style of play. We fully expect a 50-50 ratio, all we are sayign is let snto wit till the 2nd half to use the style of play that allows us to do virtually anything we want. Lets stopo wasting a half of football, lets stop beign so predictable even fans who barely whatch no whats coming. Thats what we are sying. These are things that PC has admitted to doing. He has said we use the first half to feel the other team out, really you cant figure out most of what they will do from film. Really you need a whole half to under stand running up the gut does not work? Really you need a whole half of football waiting tilll the last 3 seconds to snap it allowing the desne to tee off before you decide to chaneg it? and so on. This is what we are saying, play a style of football adn suites your best player, We ran the ball just as much in the 2nd half as the first the difference was the style of play and msot fo th time we did what we wanted.

    So let stop spreading the FALSE narative we want Wilson throwing the ball all over the place, that is not what we are saying. We are saying play the style that works best for you best player adn stop putting us behind the 8 ball in the firts half so much.
    John63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2793
    Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:56 pm


  • John63 wrote:
    So let stop spreading the FALSE narative we want Wilson throwing the ball all over the place, that is not what we are saying. We are saying play the style that works best for you best player adn stop putting us behind the 8 ball in the firts half so much.


    Sure, as long as you and others stop spreading the false narrative that Russell doesn't throw the ball as much, or isn't as effective in the first half vs. 2nd half.

    Here are Russell's split stats from last year by halves.

    First Half
    Attempts: 244
    Completions: 162
    Percentage: 66.4
    Yards: 2,037
    Average: 8.3
    TD's: 16
    Rating: 110.6

    Second Half
    Attempts: 252
    Completions: 167
    Percentage: 66.3
    Yards: 1,926
    Average: 7.6
    TD's: 14
    Rating: 104.4

    There you go, five of the seven most important statistical categories Russell is better in first halves vs. second halves.

    So it's not attempts? It's not what else now that you will continue to spread your factually incorrect and baseless "let Russ cook" narrative.

    What SHOULD be popping out to you when you look at the numbers is the most important factor of all................balance. That's what wins, and that's what has created the kind of symmetry and relationship between Pete and Russ that's sending both of them to the Hall of Fame one day.

    So let's hear it John, this is where you tell me now it's NOT the stats, it's playcalling...........or it's scheme, or any of the other nebulous vague things fans puke up that they know nothing about the intricasies of.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 17072
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am


  • I don't get the importance of Russ being MVP.
    We all know that he's the Seahawks MVP almost every year. Let's enjoy what we have with him while we have it, and let's go win another trophy.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 36572
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:38 pm
    Location: The Tex-ASS


  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    John63 wrote:
    So let stop spreading the FALSE narative we want Wilson throwing the ball all over the place, that is not what we are saying. We are saying play the style that works best for you best player adn stop putting us behind the 8 ball in the firts half so much.


    Sure, as long as you and others stop spreading the false narrative that Russell doesn't throw the ball as much, or isn't as effective in the first half vs. 2nd half.

    Here are Russell's split stats from last year by halves.

    First Half
    Attempts: 244
    Completions: 162
    Percentage: 66.4
    Yards: 2,037
    Average: 8.3
    TD's: 16
    Rating: 110.6

    Second Half
    Attempts: 252
    Completions: 167
    Percentage: 66.3
    Yards: 1,926
    Average: 7.6
    TD's: 14
    Rating: 104.4

    There you go, five of the seven most important statistical categories Russell is better in first halves vs. second halves.

    So it's not attempts? It's not what else now that you will continue to spread your factually incorrect and baseless "let Russ cook" narrative.

    What SHOULD be popping out to you when you look at the numbers is the most important factor of all................balance. That's what wins, and that's what has created the kind of symmetry and relationship between Pete and Russ that's sending both of them to the Hall of Fame one day.

    So let's hear it John, this is where you tell me now it's NOT the stats, it's playcalling...........or it's scheme, or any of the other nebulous vague things fans puke up that they know nothing about the intricasies of.



    No this is were I say if you cant and refuse to beleive your own eyes than that is your problem. Anyone with a lick of football sense can see the difference in thee team and in the offense when they turn it on. Even the players are saying it, the experts are saying it. The only ones not syaing it are those who refuse to beleive their own eyes.

    https://www.fieldgulls.com/2020/5/9/21251414/seattle-seahawks-uptempo-offense-russell-wilson-pete-carroll-nfl-news

    As to your symetry and all that true they have had a lot fof success and could have had more if not for PCs unwillignness to do what GOOD coaches do and mold you playing style to your best players. In yoru eyes we should be happy with what we have even though we could be better and in the end that is what this is about being better.

    Now imagine all those stats you reference if Wilson was not having to take chances because we are behind because we played slow in the first half. Or how many fewer sacks, hits, nurries or tackled behind the line we would have if the defense did not know we were gogin to snap it with 3 seconds or less in the first half.

    Just because you are good does not mean you cant be better. We could be better with a minor tweak in our offense play. oh and let me hlep you before you say it we have a higher TOP in the 2nd half when we typically run this style of offense.

    guess what sseems the Seahawks agree with us

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/Sports/nfl/the-seahawks-could-run-a-faster-paced-offense-i-know-i-know/ar-BB13QD3i?ocid=a2hs
    John63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2793
    Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:56 pm


  • So.. the seahawks offense is, in fact, as good in the first half as they are in the 2nd, despite statements to the contrary?
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 18466
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


  • John63 wrote:
    As to your symetry and all that true they have had a lot fof success and could have had more if not for PCs unwillignness to do what GOOD coaches do and mold you playing style to your best players. In yoru eyes we should be happy with what we have even though we could be better and in the end that is what this is about being better.

    Now imagine all those stats you reference if Wilson was not having to take chances because we are behind because we played slow in the first half. Or how many fewer sacks, hits, nurries or tackled behind the line we would have if the defense did not know we were gogin to snap it with 3 seconds or less in the first half.

    Just because you are good does not mean you cant be better. We could be better with a minor tweak in our offense play. oh and let me hlep you before you say it we have a higher TOP in the 2nd half when we typically run this style of offense.]


    You're all over the road dude. This is VERBATIM what you said above, not even two posts ago.

    to say no. We are saying allow him to do it sooner and change the style of play. We fully expect a 50-50 ratio, all we are sayign is let snto wit till the 2nd half to use the style of play that allows us to do virtually anything we want. Lets stopo wasting a half of football, lets stop beign so predictable even fans who barely whatch no whats coming. Thats what we are sying. These are things that PC has admitted to doing. He has said we use the first half to feel the other team out, really you cant figure out most of what they will do from film. Really you need a whole half to under stand running up the gut does not work? Really you need a whole half of football waiting tilll the last 3 seconds to snap it allowing the desne to tee off before you decide to chaneg it? and so on. This is what we are saying, play a style of football adn suites your best player, We ran the ball just as much in the 2nd half as the first the difference was the style of play and msot fo th time we did what we wanted.


    - do it sooner
    - don't wait until the 2nd half
    - wasting a half of football
    - being so predictable
    - whole half of running to figure it out

    All false, as my stats prove. Now you're on some Russell has to take chances because we're behind? That's Pete's offensive philosophy's fault?

    Do you think maybe that has far more to do with the defense dropping from a top 5 defense to a top 20 over the past three years, giving up an average of almost 10 more points a game? Hmm, I wonder if that has a bigger implication or Russell having to play from behind more in 2nd halves of games.

    Enough already, I've proven this false Let Russ Cook narrative wrong over and over. Yet here we are, once again.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 17072
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am


  • Uncle Si wrote:So.. the seahawks offense is, in fact, as good in the first half as they are in the 2nd, despite statements to the contrary?


    not exactly . we have more 3 and outs in the first half then the 2nd and our TOP is higher in the 2nd half as well.
    John63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2793
    Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:56 pm


  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    John63 wrote:
    As to your symetry and all that true they have had a lot fof success and could have had more if not for PCs unwillignness to do what GOOD coaches do and mold you playing style to your best players. In yoru eyes we should be happy with what we have even though we could be better and in the end that is what this is about being better.

    Now imagine all those stats you reference if Wilson was not having to take chances because we are behind because we played slow in the first half. Or how many fewer sacks, hits, nurries or tackled behind the line we would have if the defense did not know we were gogin to snap it with 3 seconds or less in the first half.

    Just because you are good does not mean you cant be better. We could be better with a minor tweak in our offense play. oh and let me hlep you before you say it we have a higher TOP in the 2nd half when we typically run this style of offense.]


    You're all over the road dude. This is VERBATIM what you said above, not even two posts ago.

    to say no. We are saying allow him to do it sooner and change the style of play. We fully expect a 50-50 ratio, all we are sayign is let snto wit till the 2nd half to use the style of play that allows us to do virtually anything we want. Lets stopo wasting a half of football, lets stop beign so predictable even fans who barely whatch no whats coming. Thats what we are sying. These are things that PC has admitted to doing. He has said we use the first half to feel the other team out, really you cant figure out most of what they will do from film. Really you need a whole half to under stand running up the gut does not work? Really you need a whole half of football waiting tilll the last 3 seconds to snap it allowing the desne to tee off before you decide to chaneg it? and so on. This is what we are saying, play a style of football adn suites your best player, We ran the ball just as much in the 2nd half as the first the difference was the style of play and msot fo th time we did what we wanted.


    - do it sooner
    - don't wait until the 2nd half
    - wasting a half of football
    - being so predictable
    - whole half of running to figure it out

    All false, as my stats prove. Now you're on some Russell has to take chances because we're behind? That's Pete's offensive philosophy's fault?

    Do you think maybe that has far more to do with the defense dropping from a top 5 defense to a top 20 over the past three years, giving up an average of almost 10 more points a game? Hmm, I wonder if that has a bigger implication or Russell having to play from behind more in 2nd halves of games.

    Enough already, I've proven this false Let Russ Cook narrative wrong over and over. Yet here we are, once again.


    all true if you open your eyes which you will not obviously. Funny how the players sdee it but you dont ahh. FYI you have proven nothing except you think you know more than the players, which you dont. also

    https://www.fieldgulls.com/2020/1/14/21064982/seattle-seahawks-pete-carroll-slow-postseason-first-halves-nfl-statistics

    Seattle has played almost a full regular season’s worth of postseason football under Wilson, so I’m comfortable with this sample size. Through the first halves of 15 playoff games, the Seahawks have “accomplished” the following:

    Trailed at halftime nine times;
    Trailed by at least two possessions at some point seven times;
    Been shutout four times;
    Scored three combined points in two NFC Championship home games;
    Failed to score a touchdown seven times;
    Failed to score more than one touchdown 12 times;
    Failed to clear 10 points ten times.


    And thats playoffs. 1st half margin -53 2nd half 119 enough said.


    The fact Wilson leads the leauge since 2012 in 4th qtr/OT come from behind victories proves the point and yes even when we had a great defense. Now that we dont you would hope you would want to get a lead and give the defense some wiggle room instead of such aa small margin for error. Now that I have proven my point

    https://www.vsin.com/seahawks-need-better-first-half-in-second-half-of-season/

    again. enough said
    John63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2793
    Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:56 pm




It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:00 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]




Information
  • Who is online