Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jamal Adams would welcome a trade

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Jamal Adams would welcome a trade
Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:14 pm

• KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Re: Jamal Adams would welcome a trade
Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:35 pm
  • Apparently he said he would play for these teams without an extension, so wouldn't cost a ton to bring him in but you are going to have to pay him a ton of money in 2021.

I'd be down, doubt it happens though.
    HawkStrong
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:06 pm
  • Sports is over til 2021 at least. Fauci is saying NFL wont happen.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:31 pm
  • Do it. Definitely willing to part with next year's #1 for Adams.

Not just for what he brings as an individual performer, but the energy, toughness, leadership, intensity, and intangibles that the defense has been mission since the LOB was disbanded.
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:17 pm
  • What would his cap hit be?
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:05 pm
  • knownone wrote:What would his cap hit be?

It looks like somewhere around $3.5M for 2020 - which is less than the cap savings for cutting McDougald. He's got two years (2020 and 2021) left on his deal.

If it's true that he's willing to play out 2020 without an extension seems a good deal to trade for him this year you have at least a year to work out an extension.

He's got it all:

Talent (3X Pro Bowler, 2019 1st team all-pro)
    Age (only 25)
    Health (played all but 2 games over the past 6 years (college and pro combined)
    Versatility, (can easily play FS, SS, and Big Nickel, and also lined up at corner and EDGE (6.5 sacks last year) - he is that next-generation chess piece defender that everyone is looking for.
    Leadership/Intangibles (team captain as a freshman in college and 2nd year player in the NFL)

Physically, in terms of SPARQ he's middle of the pack (4.56 second 40 @ 214 lbs), but he's got freakishly long arms (33 3/8" which contributes to his versatility, particularly close to the LOS and when covering TEs.

A-Dog
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:31 pm
  • Shanegotyou11 wrote:Sports is over til 2021 at least. Fauci is saying NFL wont happen.

Spain, England, Italy, Germany, Korea, Japan, China all playing sports.

Not that this is the topic.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:37 pm
  • Long time Hawk fans remember when Seattle would have never been on anyone's wish list.
    seabowl
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:20 pm
  • He is one of the very best "Seahawk-y" players in the league.

I'd give up a first and a couple of young players (Blair and Pocic would be good adds for the Jets).
    nanomoz
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:08 pm
  • nanomoz wrote:He is one of the very best "Seahawk-y" players in the league.

I'd give up a first and a couple of young players (Blair and Pocic would be good adds for the Jets).

I don't know if I'd want to give up both Blair and a first round pick.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:31 pm
  • McDougal and a 1st. Make it happen JS
    Wenhawk
    .NET Owner

Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:44 am
  • I don't think safety is where we need to spend a bunch of money. Not now. Adams is an impact player but we are solid at safety as compared to other positions. We could probably attract at least 2 really good, proven, talent for the O Line for less. Or we could pick up Clowney or Yannik. I would jump at any of those other options before I would spend that kind of money at safety.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.

Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:05 am
  • Better do it quickly before the 49ers get started, they have the funds and need.
    Fanatics
    NET Rookie

Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:06 pm
  • Appyhawk wrote:I don't think safety is where we need to spend a bunch of money. Not now. Adams is an impact player but we are solid at safety as compared to other positions.

Adams is only 24 and on the cusp of becoming the Polamalu of his generation. If we actually get a shot at him, and the cost isn't TOO insane, I'm not passing because we're "solid" at his position. His talent and impact would be a boon to a defense still looking for a new identity since the LOB days. I don't care if safety is our first or eighth weakest position.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:12 pm
  • It would be nice to get an impact player and hope they do get Adams.

That being said there are several other positions I wish an impact player like Adams became available in.

Might as well use a 1st rounder. We generally flush ours down the crapper.
    JayhawkMike
    NET Starter

Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:15 am
  • He's a guy I was hoping they'd get last year when trade rumors came up. It'll cost a high pick and probably a player with it, along with a megacontract but he's a generational defensive talent at 24.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:15 am
  • i'm not sure we should tie up the astronomical amount he'll want / get on his next contract.

Incredible player but I think we could use the cap space else where.
    English12thMan
    NET Bench Warmer

Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:12 pm
  • seabowl wrote:Long time Hawk fans remember when Seattle would have never been on anyone's wish list.

Until we land TJ Houshurmama.

Don't understand the Safety position hype. Remember 2018? Earl was still with the team, and our pass D was so bad. Fix the corner's first, but the pass rush has to be fixed before that lmao.
    poly1274
    NET Starter

Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:33 am
  • He's basically "come and get me" 2.0.

NO.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:23 am
  • Largent80 wrote:He's basically "come and get me" 2.0.

NO.

I'm not sure about that Rob. Everything I've read kinda indicates that the team mislead him last year. I don't have a link or the exact quote but he did say at one point that he wanted to remain with the team for life. The team responded by publicly putting him on the trade block.

This guy is a very rare talent. I wonder if this year's 3rd plus next year's 1st would get it done? I'd be all for that.

Edit to add: Largent80 my well be right according to this aricle:
    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29345772/trying
    acer1240
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:11 am
  • The highest paid safety right now is making just under 15M, so I assume Adams wants at least that much, if not 15M+.

Which is probably why the Jets are now shopping one of the best safeties in the league in his prime, they don't want to pay him.

We only have 13M of cap space, and we haven't even signed all our rookies yet..............so someone would have to be cut or restructured to fit this size of a contract under our cap.

Unless you guys wanna do another Clowney one year type deal and give up major picks. Jets want at least a 1st, and more.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:20 am
  • Wouldn't cutting Bradley McDougal clear the cap space Sgt?
    acer1240
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:21 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:The highest paid safety right now is making just under 15M, so I assume Adams wants at least that much, if not 15M+.

Which is probably why the Jets are now shopping one of the best safeties in the league in his prime, they don't want to pay him.

We only have 13M of cap space, and we haven't even signed all our rookies yet..............so someone would have to be cut or restructured to fit this size of a contract under our cap.

Unless you guys wanna do another Clowney one year type deal and give up major picks. Jets want at least a 1st, and more.

It's more of a Quandre Diggs situation, he has 2 years left on his contract.
    HawkStrong
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:43 am
  • Safeties typically are undervalued by the NFL vs many other positions. Strong safety even more so.

But our defense almost hinges on great safety play. More than most teams, great safeties are incredibly important to our defense and success.

You only have to look at when Kam held out to see what a difference losing a safety for us makes.

While paying a strong safety well may not be worth it for the spend on many defenses - it absolutely is for us.

It is tremendously worthwhile to get Adams if this team can do so. Yes, he is expensive. But we would be better because of him.

We don't need him. We have the offensive resources to be very good without him. But we have a coach that likes to put the game on the defense, and without a great safety - that decision ends up get us decent records but failing in the playoffs.

With Adams, we might be much more effective in the playoffs than we have been in years.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:49 am
  • This team has addresed the DL with 2 situational players and 2 rookies so far. We saw the weakness last year and until proven otherwise it's not improved.

At the same time you expended a 2 ND rounder on a safety last year who is expected to become very good. At the same time you have a very decent complimentary safety in McD.

Makes very little sense to add to that pile.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:59 am
  • HawkStrong wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:The highest paid safety right now is making just under 15M, so I assume Adams wants at least that much, if not 15M+.

It's more of a Quandre Diggs situation, he has 2 years left on his contract.

Correct, but he'd hold out next year if you don't give him a new monster deal. So in essence, you're getting him for a year.

I think the dude's the best safety in football, so I'd have no problem clearing the necessary cap space to sign him to a long term deal. Diggs and Adams would be the best safety tandem in the league.

I just don't want to keep having to give up picks for one year rental players that we don't resign. So if we want him? Then pay the man and let's have the best safety in the game for 4-5 years.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:38 am
  • Agree Sgt. If it were to get done then get the extension worked out immediately. May as well go all in at that point
    acer1240
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:15 am
  • Who was the strong safety that was supposed to be very good?

(Not Blair I hope?)

McDougal is good but also getting older. Not sure I want everything hinging on an older slower player, since safety is pretty close to a linchpin position for our defense.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:55 pm
  • It IS Blair. He's getting playing time this year and the weak hitting secondary the Hawks currently employ need his fire. Remember, Kam redshirted his first year.

What makes you think Blair can't be good and why in the hell would you sink money into a position that's already been addressed over a position that hasn't?
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:25 pm
  • Blair is still not a certainty.

He is an undersized but tremendously hard-hitting safety. Honestly, he reminds me a bit of Bob Sanders in that respect.

The Colts got some good years out of Sanders, so even if Blair gets injured we might get a few years of decent to very good production from him. However, the worry is still that he is a bit of an injury risk. And while he flashed a bit, we didn't see the consistency from him.

Adams would almost be a guy you could pencil in as not only a starter but one of the better players on the team.

With Adams you KNOW you have that hole filled. With Blair you are hoping, but you cannot be sure.

Given the importance of safety play to the success of our defense, it would be ideal not to have to trust to hope.

My greatest concern with Blair is still durability, but even so, he hasn't shown enough for me to be completely confident he can be a difference-maker. Adams has.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:26 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:It IS Blair. He's getting playing time this year and the weak hitting secondary the Hawks currently employ need his fire. Remember, Kam redshirted his first year.

What makes you think Blair can't be good and why in the hell would you sink money into a position that's already been addressed over a position that hasn't?

Blair flashed some in the pre-season, but when he finally got on the field during the regular season, not a whole lot jumped out........other than him jumping out of position.

So while he still obviously is raw and has upside, if we have a chance to get a top 10 NFL player in Adams to play a VERY key role in Pete's defense? I'm all in, give up the 1st and pay the man.

Especially this year when there's no time for guys like Blair to develop in camp and pre-season. More than ever if you've got a chance to add this impressive of a player, you do it.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:27 pm
  • TwistedHusky wrote:Blair is still not a certainty.

He is an undersized but tremendously hard-hitting safety. Honestly, he reminds me a bit of Bob Sanders in that respect.

The Colts got some good years out of Sanders, so even if Blair gets injured we might get a few years of decent to very good production from him. However, the worry is still that he is a bit of an injury risk. And while he flashed a bit, we didn't see the consistency from him.

Adams would almost be a guy you could pencil in as not only a starter but one of the better players on the team.

With Adams you KNOW you have that hole filled. With Blair you are hoping, but you cannot be sure.

Given the importance of safety play to the success of our defense, it would be ideal not to have to trust to hope.

My greatest concern with Blair is still durability, but even so, he hasn't shown enough for me to be completely confident he can be a difference-maker. Adams has.

I have to agree, it's not ability really though, it's his size at least coming into the league and how he wants to deliver hits that guys 30 pounds heavier do, Sanders in Indy had that issue and after a few seasons the injuries started to happen and more frequently.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:03 pm
  • If we don't get a couple monster pass rushers like we had with Avril and Bennett it isn't going to matter who is in the secondary.
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:37 pm
  • loafoftatupu wrote:If we don't get a couple monster pass rushers like we had with Avril and Bennett it isn't going to matter who is in the secondary.

You're right, but a bad pass rush AND mediocre DB play makes for a very bad defense.....as we saw far too often last year.

At least with Adams and hopefully Dunbar we've immediately got one of the top secondaries in the entire league, which can help cover up a bad pass rush until Pete and John fix it. Just as they did when the LOB was formed. Got all those guys drafted and locked up, then you can focus on the D-line exclusively.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:14 pm
  • Every team wants 'monster pass rushers'.

(Aldon Smith has a job, as a for instance)

The chance of suddenly finding them is low.

It does not change the fact that we have a system that demands great safety play to be effective.

Nor is it likely that any decision on Adams will be relevant to fixing the DL challenges. Anyone that looks good on paper as a pass rusher, is going to come at a premium.

If we get a great safety, we radically improve our chances in the playoffs...even without massive changes to the DL beyond the ones already in place.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:26 pm
  • TwistedHusky wrote:Every team wants 'monster pass rushers'.

(Aldon Smith has a job, as a for instance)

The chance of suddenly finding them is low.

It does not change the fact that we have a system that demands great safety play to be effective.

Nor is it likely that any decision on Adams will be relevant to fixing the DL challenges. Anyone that looks good on paper as a pass rusher, is going to come at a premium.

If we get a great safety, we radically improve our chances in the playoffs...even without massive changes to the DL beyond the ones already in place.

I agree. While Bennett and Avril were great, they also benefited by having the best secondary in the NFL (aka the LOB). Right now, the secondary is nowhere close to that. It has some pieces to build from. Having Adams makes it very much closer to that group - LOB v3.0. That would help the pass rush tremendously. If they can get Clowney, then the defense is upgraded instantaneously.
    hawkfan68
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter

Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:25 pm
  • Great safeties hide a lot of mistakes, for sure. The guy is a beast no question.

I just think we have 2 good ones, and 1 unknown one. The D line has basically all unknowns or average players. I'd spend there.

Safety is just not where I'd spend the limited money they have left. They would have had to think this out when there was 60mil in cap space, not 13.
    Teahawks
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:50 pm
  • Doubt ever the Hawks part with what it would take to get him..
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:03 am
  • Once again Kam Chancellor was redshirted his first year. Even Earl Thomas wasn't lighting the world on fire his first year.

With zero to very little pressure up front you could have a "dream team" in the secondary and even a crap QB like Dalton will pick you apart.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:46 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information